Shep

Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

Happy2Heal
1 hour ago, apace41 said:

I've been laying low and not posting a whole lot lately, but I had to comment on this as I'm laughing out loud thinking what the "normals" would say if they read this thread. 

so true!
I told a friend recently: oh I had a great morning today, I overslept!

she  thought I was being sarcastic.... LOL 

she apparently didn't believe me all the times I've told her I haven't needed an alarm clock in years, because I always wake up way before I want or need to.

I'm lucky that I don't have anywhere I need to be, so I am completely enjoying the extra zzzz's

Yes, when good sleep returns it's a VERY GOOD THING!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total)
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictalBrief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. I tried to get off it several times. WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 tapered down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again, too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". Crashed in Sept, reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, current age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content 

Happy2Heal
1 hour ago, apace41 said:

I'm looking forward to your first big oversleep, Shep.  It will be a day for celebration!

it will indeed be a day to celebrate!!

good to see you Andy!

I hope things are going well with you

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total)
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictalBrief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. I tried to get off it several times. WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 tapered down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again, too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". Crashed in Sept, reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, current age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content 

Armorall

@Shep nevermind, I see you answered my question later. I appreciate the advice and will follow this. Thank you!

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking Magnesium 150mgs daily

Shep
23 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

I so wish I'd seen this advice back in the beginning, I lost a lot of muscle mass (and a LOT of wt too) during WD and didn't know that was going to happen (apparently the wt loss alone makes you lose muscle) I would have tried to do something with hand weights.... By the time I got into some sr classes like Bone Builders, I was already so weak. :( 

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It seems that a lot of people who make it through medical school are very much the teach-to-the-test learners and not very versed in common sense. I mean, some of the doctors who prescribe tricyclic antidepressants for one person for so-called "depression" are the same doctors who also prescribe tricyclic antidepressants to another patient as a muscle relaxer. When you come off that drug - no matter why you were on it - it can cause the muscles to lock up. 

So a slow taper while being mindful of stretching exercises along the way just makes sense. 

23 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

anyway, you always give the best and most thoughtful advice Shep, I am so grateful for all the time that you have devoted to this forum helping others

❤️

Thanks for your kind words, Happy.

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Shep
19 hours ago, Armorall said:

@Shep nevermind, I see you answered my question later. I appreciate the advice and will follow this. Thank you!

You're welcome. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Shep
On 9/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, Shep said:

I'm going to briefly document the worst wave since I wrote my success story. But it's part of the post-zero experience and important to give voice to. 

I'm going to update this and call my wave over.

Although a lot of previous withdrawal symptoms had kicked in, this wave turned out not to be just a withdrawal wave - it was late-stage perimenopause. After skipping a number of periods this year, I started having some really severe hot flashes earlier in October, which let me know this was less about withdrawal and more about menopause. I'm 52 years old, so not unexpected. And I'm more than thrilled about not having any more periods. This is going to make the post-zero withdrawal waves a lot easier and I may see a lot more healing over the next couple of years. It's hard to say after being drugged for so long, I didn't really have a baseline to compare to when I first wrote my success story. 

I started taking an herbal supplement called Black Cohosh in a liquid extract form and am seeing phenomenal results. I went from feeling like I was going to spontaneously combust every 30 - 45 minutes all day and all night to not having a hot flash for up to 36 hours at a time now. And when I do periodically have one, it's very, very mild. 

And I'm only taking 1/4 the recommended dose. 

I'm continuing to research Indigenous medicines because they work so well and can have far fewer side effects than pharmaceutical drugs. Black Cohosh may cause liver problems if used more than a year according to some of the literature, however, there's not that much research into this because doctors would prefer to prescribe Brisdelle (re-packaged Paxil) or other SSRIs for menopause. This is more than criminal with what's already known about this drug, especially Paxil Study 329. Also, according to the Rx.org site's article Medications compromising Covid Infections, "The consumption of anticholinergic drugs increases the risk of pneumonia by 1.6 to 2.5-fold" and this includes Paxil (paroxetine). 

All Black Cohosh does is make my pleasantly sleepy and has a nice calming effect the next day. 

I've set a google calendar reminder to reassess continuing with this supplement after 6 months and will likely come off within a year, just out of concern about any possible liver complications. My diet is a very clean modified Paleo diet, my weight is at the low end (I struggle to keep weight on due to my running and biking schedule), and I've started a new strength training program to address any bone loss issues, along with targeting calcium in my diet. I'm researching HIIT training (high intensity interval training) as something else that will keep me healthy and strong. 

Sleep is improving, along with being able to get through the day a lot easier. The dp/dr and fatigue have both decreased and cognitive skills are better than they were even before this wave. 

I'm convinced that menopause gives women super powers. Never underestimate a woman over 50. 

Armorall

So wonderful to hear, Shep! Thanks  for the update!!

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking Magnesium 150mgs daily