Your story gave me so much hope. Thank you! :)

2014 put on sertraline and alprazolam. switched alprazolam to clonazepam. then switched to venlafaxine and mirtazapine

2014-2016 on venlafaxine and mirtazapine for a while. doctor tried adding fluoxetine, amitriptyline with poor results.

2016 citalopram for a while

2017-2018 tried trazodone, escitalopram, topiramate, lamotrigine, pinazam with terrible results

2018-2021 fluvoxamine and nortriptiline for a while. tried adding lithium 

2020-2021 tappering nortriptiline and fluvoxamine. nortriptiline 25mg to 0g in a month. fluvoxamine 200mg to 0g in six months: 200 to 150, 150 to 100, two months stabilizing on 100, 100 to 50, 50 to 25 for a week and then 0g.

2021 given and stopped psilocybin. given and tapered clonazepam. tried ayahuasca. 

2022 given and removed vortioxetine. given and removed clonazepam. put on CBD oil. removed CBD oil.

06-2022-today supplements and probiotics. no psychotropics. severe fatigue since 2014. disabled but going. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, tardisdoctor said:

Your story gave me so much hope. Thank you! :)

You're welcome, tradisdoctor. Glad you find it hopeful! 

Hi Shep. Your story filled me with some hope. If you can come through what you’ve come through in the way you have maybe I can too! I’ve even decided to get some bone broth this weekend as a way to force myself out of the house as I think I’m coming out of what has been my worst wave yet. Are you able to repost a link to your toolkit please?  I followed the link you had but only saw three tips to follow. Unless I missed the rest? Thanks. Thorin

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Thorin said:

Hi Shep. Your story filled me with some hope. If you can come through what you’ve come through in the way you have maybe I can too! I’ve even decided to get some bone broth this weekend as a way to force myself out of the house as I think I’m coming out of what has been my worst wave yet. Are you able to repost a link to your toolkit please?  I followed the link you had but only saw three tips to follow. Unless I missed the rest? Thanks. Thorin

Here is the link to the toolkit. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17554-sheps-journey/page/24/?tab=comments#comment-283228

Yes, there's loads more than three tips! It's basically just a list of the videos I found most helpful for self-soothing and managing symptoms.

Glad you're finding this thread helpful, Thorin. 

Just now, Shep said:

Here is the link to the toolkit. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17554-sheps-journey/page/24/?tab=comments#comment-283228

Yes, there's loads more than three tips! It's basically just a list of the videos I found most helpful for self-soothing and managing symptoms.

Glad you're finding this thread helpful, Thorin. 

Thanks Shep. Much appreciated. It definitely helps reading the threads of those of you who have been through this. Particularly if you’ve been proactive and positive when you can be.

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

I like your story and it's so encouraging for many out there.

Like you, I was polydrugged over the years.

I'm 10 years away from the medicine, and I do feel better off them than on them. It's like these medicines faded me out of the world. I had zero motivation on them and just apathetic. 

I was feeling much better until I recently took a supplement, and the derealization came back. 

I like how you have learned to cope with it; that's very inspiring and courageous. 

I'm just recently hanging out here and once again, waiting for the derealization to go. Distraction and trying to find hope. 

The derealization is something that can be rough on us, not feeling any emotions, but there's definitely an "enlightenment" that comes with it...

I hope you well, and may you be blessed in your life 🦋 🕯 ❤️ 

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

I forget the dosage other than 4mg of Klonopin. 

Ps Shep, 

I forgot to ask: How do you cope with the derealization and depersonalization? 

Again, ty for your story. ❤️ 

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/2/2022 at 12:03 PM, Dragoon909 said:

Ps Shep, 

I forgot to ask: How do you cope with the derealization and depersonalization? 

Again, ty for your story. ❤️ 

Please see my benzo forum thread - here is the link -  Shep's Journey

That whole thread is primarily about getting through DP/DR. 

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Please see my benzo forum thread - here is the link -  Shep's Journey

That whole thread is primarily about getting through DP/DR. 

Ty....

I am going to have a look. 

The dr is the worst; anything helps. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Elyssa143 said:

@Shep

Congratulations this is wonderful! Your such a warrior! I do like the way you look at symptoms im going to try that! I tried to find your tool kit but I couldnt i do get confused. Im almost 27 months out. 2 years total on ssri but not consecutive. Already had a protracted benzo withdrawl from 30days use. So of course i didnt think id be here again. Then they poly drugged me in the psych after this last time coming off 25 mg of zoloft after one year and ive been in hell ever since. Things are getting less intense.  But still so up and down and never symptom free. I have inner aka, dread/hopelessness i can physically feel both aka and the dread its an awful feeling, intrusive si and thoughts of life not being worth it, and fear of the future. Were you still having a hard time mentally around this time off? If these things went id be alot better. Any suggestions on what they are trying to teach me? The suicidal thoughts and feelings are so traumatizing to me. I appreciate all your hard work and hope your enjoying your healing now. Have a nice day

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:48 AM, Shep said:

Link to Benzo Forum Thread -  Shep's Journey

Link to French translation (courtesy of Erell):  Se libérer de la psychiatrie - Shep : « Quitter la caverne de Platon »

Leaving Plato’s Cave

In Plato’s famous “Allegory of the Cave,” a group of human beings are chained since birth in a dark cave where a fire casts shadows of the world upon the walls. The shadows are all the prisoners know to be true. But one day, a prisoner breaks free and wanders out into the world. Her eyes are blinded by the sudden blast of sunlight and she is unsure of her reality and at times, longs to be back inside the familiar darkness. But as her eyes adjust, she is in awe of this new reality — people, nature, her own reflection! When she returns to the cave, the other prisoners laugh at her story in disbelief. . . .  

And so I left psychiatry — a dark cave of drug dependency, incarceration, deception, violence, mystification, and social control. The empty shadows on the walls that message this non-reality based belief system of mythical “mind diseases” fade out and a beautiful new reality unfolds before me. 

After 30 years, success from such an experience is a process, not a singular event. There may still be some unexpected waves, but that will allow the experience of re-emerging from periods of darkness with even more skill and resilience. For me, this part of the journey is very similar to the final phase of the grieving process. As Francis Weller reminds us in the book The Wild Edge of Sorrow, grief is sacred work. It’s an important teacher and should be honored, not feared. 

When symptoms are viewed as teachers and guides and you walk with them with curiosity and not fear, leaving Plato’s Cave turns into a journey of adventure and skill building. My signature symptom was - and is - DP/DR (depersonalization / derealization) and the lessons taught are in mindfulness and becoming The Observer. (I wrote about The Observer in several places in my benzo thread). 

I still have some lingering DP/DR, but this is a symptom I carry out of the cave with me, as I'm still learning from it and no longer view it as a problem but as a valued guide. 

Never give up — your new world awaits you. For many of us, it’s a brutal trip. So travel lightly and listen carefully to what your teachers and guides are telling you. As painful and confusing as it is, these symptoms are here for a reason. 

At five years off all drugs (from 30 years use), I can now: 

• Run 30 - 60 minutes, four days a week, along with doing yoga and strength training. Runner’s high is beautiful! 
  • Bike 30 miles a week - urban cycling is now my main transportation to and from work because of subway and bus delays due to COVID-19
  • Work 40 - 45 hours a week (was unemployed for around 9 months due to severe akathisia and DP/DR)
  • See the world with 20/20 vision (with glasses) -  since last August (before that, my focus was in and out and I wasn’t able to get an accurate eyeglass prescription)
  • Read books with a high level of concentration during windows. I get lost in activities now and experience a sense of “flow” when reading, working, exercising, and playing music for hours at a time
  • Feel music deeply to the point of being moved to tears at times
  • Experience powerful levels of spirituality and connection with the universe
  • Sleep a restful 6 - 7.5 hours a night most nights (Netflix is a treat when insomnia hits now because I know the insomnia wave will pass and I like the excuse to watch movies in my favorites list)

About me:  52-year-old female, currently working full time, no family, studio apartment, still navigating my way back into more social situations, complicated by the city’s partial shut-down due to COVID-19.

Entry into psychiatric drugs: forced “treatment” in private and state psychiatric prisons off and on from the age of 17 until 21 for so-called “psychosis.”   Gaslighted into long-term drug compliance with the lie that neuroleptics are a neuro-protective agent against brain damage caused by so-called “psychosis.”  Never told about dopamine supersensitivity or tardive dysphoria

Drug and label history: 30 years of neuroleptics, benzodiazepines, z-drugs, so-called “anti”-depressants, and amphetamines. Labeled with “manic depression” and “PTSD” from years of physical and sexual abuse as a child. The “chemical imbalance” myth dominated the narrative because psychiatry replicates the patriarchal and paternalistic abuses of the nuclear family (and the larger political structure) within a medicalized context. This is not an accident. This is how the system is designed. 

Date of last drug taken: May 22, 2015

Reason for exiting the cave: After having spent more than 25 years working low-level jobs and bouncing from here to there, I descended into cognitive decline with voices and visuals, disassociation, akathisia, and suicidal thoughts. A psychiatrist suggested another change in drugs but — too fast, too soon, leading to a nervous system crash. 

After being threatened with forced “treatment” in the state psychiatric prison again in early 2014, I found Robert Whitaker’s book Anatomy of an Epidemic in a random Google search on my phone. 

The realization I had been poisoned was enough for me to control my behavior and save myself from further “treatment.”  The psychiatric system disables and kills people. That’s not an abstract concept when you’re at the receiving end of forced “treatment.”

Method of coming off psychiatric drugs: cold turkey and rapid taper off a cocktail of Seroquel, Viibryd, Klonopin, Sonata, Dexedrine, and Halcion (NOTE: I do NOT recommend this method of withdrawal - I didn’t find the withdrawal forums until I was almost completely off all drugs. Stay safe and taper if at all possible).

Favorite non-drug coping skills: Shep’s Toolkit. For me, the non-drug coping skills were not optional. I still refer to this list and have tons more bookmarked in folders on my laptop. Mooji and Alan Watts are still my go-to sources for calming. 

The un-patienting process: During recovery, I began reading a lot of anti-psychiatry literature. Dr. Phil Hickey’s article sums it up well - In Defense of Anti-Psychiatry. Anti-psychiatry gave me the language to understand and name the world around me. Dr. Thomas Szasz is a major influence in my understanding of this world. He understood the power structure of psychiatry better than anyone I've read so far. Dr. Bruce Cohen's Psychiatric Hegemony: A Marxist Theory of Mental Illness  helped me understand psychiatry's political structure. Psychiatry is about power and politics, not medicine. 

Psychiatry is not broken. The system was designed this way. Psychiatry is not a legitimate field of medicine and cannot be reformed.  It needs to be abolished. To not message this would be to condone a form of structural violence that not only has disabled and killed millions of people, it also maintains and even furthers the systemic social and economic injustices these individuals represent. 

I hope one day, those still trapped in Plato’s Cave will be released and the cave will be sealed shut. 

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

How did you feel  at 3 years? I ct after 20 years of being on them.  I still struggle with stomach issues, anxiety and insomnia. I've been off the antidepressants 2.7 years.   Did you take any supplents?

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, GGGG said:

How did you feel  at 3 years? I ct after 20 years of being on them.  I still struggle with stomach issues, anxiety and insomnia. I've been off the antidepressants 2.7 years.   Did you take any supplents?

At three years, I still had a ways to go. That's not unusual at all, GGGG. 

I didn't start any supplements until I was a year or so off the drugs (I can't remember what I was taking that far back, though). 

• Mentor
On 5/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, Shep said:

Favorite non-drug coping skills: Shep’s Toolkit. For me, the non-drug coping skills were not optional. I still refer to this list and have tons more bookmarked in folders on my laptop. Mooji and Alan Watts are still my go-to sources for calming. 

Shep, I have been reading your story! Amazing! Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement you have given us!

Can you guide me to your tool kit? I’m having difficulty finding it. Thanks

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Heath said:

Shep, I have been reading your story! Amazing! Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement you have given us!

Can you guide me to your tool kit? I’m having difficulty finding it. Thanks

Of course. Here you go, Heath:

Shep’s Toolkit.

I would encourage anyone going through withdrawal to set up a toolkit with things you come across you find helpful. Bookmark videos and articles on your computer and come back to them often. Even though I'm almost 8 years off these drugs, I still listen to Mooji and Alan Watts as ways of keeping a good peace of mind, especially when winding down for sleep. 

• Mentor

@Shep yes definitely I have been putting together a list over the past year. It’s a continuous thing! 

You may have to draw a big circle around your tool kit for me. I am sorry but I’m struggling to find it. I did find this link below but it wouldn’t open anything ?

Hi, Blondie.

You may want to take a look at this post, as it's a list of what's helping to deal with dp/dr so far in the journey:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7419-☼-sheps-journey/?p=283228

I've found the breathing exercises to be one of the most important non-drug coping techniques. Any kind of mindfulness practices you can incorporate throughout the day are helpful. Most importantly, it's good to not fixate on it but simply let your thoughts pass without engaging with them, knowing this is a harmless symptom, frightening, but still harmless. As my favorite YouTube guru Mooji says, "Your thoughts are just visitors and you are NOT a hotel. Just let them pass." Most anxious states occur not from the thought, but from our reactions to the thoughts. While we can't choose our thoughts, we can choose our reactions. 

You may want to post a list on your own thread about the non-drug coping skills that help you so you can refer back to them. It's hard to keep track while in a panicked or confused state. Mindfulness, yoga, Tai Chi, taking walks, etc. all can help calm the nervous system, giving feedback that all is well and setting the stage for a healing environment. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

2013-2018 merry go round

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Heath said:

You may have to draw a big circle around your tool kit for me. I am sorry but I’m struggling to find it. I did find this link below but it wouldn’t open anything ?

Uh oh. Sorry about that, Heath.  I went into my old benzo thread and copied the link directly from there. See if this works: 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17554-sheps-journey/page/24/#comment-283228

• Mentor

@Shep 

Sorry me again 🤪when I go to page 24 from the link you sent above and then scroll down to this link. When I click on it it says “sorry we could not find that link”

that’s the closest thing to tool kit I see on page 24. 

Hi, Blondie.

You may want to take a look at this post, as it's a list of what's helping to deal with dp/dr so far in the journey:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7419-☼-sheps-journey/?p=283228

I've found the breathing exercises to be one of the most important non-drug coping techniques. Any kind of mindfulness practices you can incorporate throughout the day are helpful. Most importantly, it's good to not fixate on it but simply let your thoughts pass without engaging with them, knowing this is a harmless symptom, frightening, but still harmless. As my favorite YouTube guru Mooji says, "Your thoughts are just visitors and you are NOT a hotel. Just let them pass." Most anxious states occur not from the thought, but from our reactions to the thoughts. While we can't choose our thoughts, we can choose our reactions. 

You may want to post a list on your own thread about the non-drug coping skills that help you so you can refer back to them. It's hard to keep track while in a panicked or confused state. Mindfulness, yoga, Tai Chi, taking walks, etc. all can help calm the nervous system, giving feedback that all is well and setting the stage for a healing environment. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

Edited by Heath

2013-2018 merry go round

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Heath said:

Sorry me again 🤪when I go to page 24 from the link you sent above and then scroll down to this link. When I click on it it says “sorry we could not find that link”

that’s the closest thing to tool kit I see on page 24. 

No worries. The link you shared in your post above is broken. Try this one:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17554-sheps-journey/page/24/#comment-283228

Please let me know if that link doesn't work. 

If you made it to page 24, you found it (it's 8 posts down on page 24 on my old benzo thread). 

It's a bit random, now that I look at it again. But that's it. 

• 2 months later...

Inspiring to read your story, @Shep. Bravo and I wish you so much good fortune in your rearview mirror stage. Brave to get this far.  

Oct 2019: Insomnia due to stress, prescribed 50mg trazodone and 50mg sertraline 

Mar-May 2020: Off sertraline, had a poor reaction. COVID isolation hit. Restarted sertraline 25mg, maintained trazodone

June 2020: Used LSD to (I was told) "reset my brain" following isolation, trauma, and difficulty weaning

July 2020: Re-started sertraline 25mg, trazodone during subsequent lockdowns

Feb 2021: Off sertraline; tried to taper trazodone instead of coming off cold turkey when I had a poor reaction

May 2021: Ketamine infusion for suicidality; given Seroquel for sleep; only took a few times 

Aug 2021: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at sleep and in the morning (0.5 mg total) - maintained for sleep

Jan 2022: Tried lamotrigine for two weeks to see if it would stabilize anything. Couldn't fathom being on another drug and stopped. 

April 2022: Advised to wean off clonazepam to avoid damage. Now, often bedridden, routine bouts of terror/chemical anxiety. 

My journey: https://brainhack.substack.com/

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Reclaiming said:

Inspiring to read your story, @Shep. Bravo and I wish you so much good fortune in your rearview mirror stage. Brave to get this far.  

Thanks, Reclaiming. A hard journey, but definitely worth it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Update time - 8 Years Off All Drugs

A Success Story in Progress

Just a really quick update, as I'm about to get on my bike and spend the afternoon riding through nature trails and hiking. It's a beautiful Sunday with loads of sunshine and blue skies. 

I'm getting really amazing windows now that last for hours at a time, including very, very light DP/DR, which has been my most severe symptom. My sleep this past year was impacted by going through menopause but in a few weeks, I'll be officially "post menopause." And sleep is slowly returning to a deep and comfortable 6 - 7 hours a night. That seems to be enough at this stage in my life. My windows are happening in the morning. Some mornings I wake up feeling amazing, ready to get up and go! The early morning cortisol is no longer a problem. 

For menopause, I didn't add in any hormones or anything like that. I continue to eat healthy and over the past year, experimented with Keto and carnivore diets, and now I'm eating a clean, modified Paleo diet with organ meats that I get from my local farmers' market. I continue to exercise using yoga and HIIT training.

And I'm still drawing. This is an amazing hobby and am continuing on with a weekly online art class. As I reported a year ago, drawing is a great way to help with DP/DR and re-learn how to see the world. In addition to continuing to study perspective drawing, I'm also drawing nature now. 

20220619_152437.jpg

I continue to listen to a lot of Alan Watts videos, especially in the wind-down to sleep. All of those non-drug coping skills learned over the years are now a way of life. 

I'm working a lot and saving for a future that I look forward to whenever I can afford to retire. So life definitely goes on and gets better. The ability to even imagine a future is a new concept for me. When I was on these drugs, just slogging through a day at a time was as far as I could imagine.  

Society as a whole would be so much better without psychiatry.  On that note, I'll leave the name of a book I recently read and highly recommend:

Your Consent Is Not Required: The Rise in Psychiatric Detentions, Forced Treatment, and Abusive Guardianships

The author, Rob Wipond, is an author at MiA with loads of great articles - MiA - Rob Wipond archive

The more I learn, the more I realize how lucky and happy I am to be out of psychiatry's killing fields. 

• Mentor

@Shep  Thank you for your incredible update and taking the time to do it!  I am so happy for you!   You and Alto are the original settlers that went before us and made our ways easier. We are all pioneers following your trail in our covered wagons heading to the new territory of being healed and drug free! Thank you for all you do!

Edited by Moonpie
  1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Update time - 8 Years Off All Drugs

A Success Story in Progress

Just a really quick update, as I'm about to get on my bike and spend the afternoon riding through nature trails and hiking. It's a beautiful Sunday with loads of sunshine and blue skies. 

I'm getting really amazing windows now that last for hours at a time, including very, very light DP/DR, which has been my most severe symptom. My sleep this past year was impacted by going through menopause but in a few weeks, I'll be officially "post menopause." And sleep is slowly returning to a deep and comfortable 6 - 7 hours a night. That seems to be enough at this stage in my life. My windows are happening in the morning. Some mornings I wake up feeling amazing, ready to get up and go! The early morning cortisol is no longer a problem. 

For menopause, I didn't add in any hormones or anything like that. I continue to eat healthy and over the past year, experimented with Keto and carnivore diets, and now I'm eating a clean, modified Paleo diet with organ meats that I get from my local farmers' market. I continue to exercise using yoga and HIIT training.

And I'm still drawing. This is an amazing hobby and am continuing on with a weekly online art class. As I reported a year ago, drawing is a great way to help with DP/DR and re-learn how to see the world. In addition to continuing to study perspective drawing, I'm also drawing nature now. 

20220619_152437.jpg

I continue to listen to a lot of Alan Watts videos, especially in the wind-down to sleep. All of those non-drug coping skills learned over the years are now a way of life. 

I'm working a lot and saving for a future that I look forward to whenever I can afford to retire. So life definitely goes on and gets better. The ability to even imagine a future is a new concept for me. When I was on these drugs, just slogging through a day at a time was as far as I could imagine.  

Society as a whole would be so much better without psychiatry.  On that note, I'll leave the name of a book I recently read and highly recommend:

Your Consent Is Not Required: The Rise in Psychiatric Detentions, Forced Treatment, and Abusive Guardianships

The author, Rob Wipond, is an author at MiA with loads of great articles - MiA - Rob Wipond archive

The more I learn, the more I realize how lucky and happy I am to be out of psychiatry's killing fields. 

We are all very happy for you Shep. Tremendous inspiration 🙏

September of 2021: Started taking Effexor XR 150mg, two Amissulpride 50mg and Ambien as an SOS. Effexor taken in the morning with the Amissulpride and the second Amissulpride tablet at night.

Somewhere in 2022: I dropped the Amissulpride to one tablet a day and then stopped completely after 3 months.

September 2022: I tapered to 75 mg of Effexor XR

25th of January of 2023: I tapered to 37,5 mg

February 27th: Stopped and been medication free since then. Take around 1/2 ambien a month when I have insomnia

Hi Shep,

I have followed your story to wellness and freedom from psychiatric oppression with a kind of awe partly because you were in the system so long and because from reading your story I think you had to do it entirely on your own.  I think it is extraordinary to be honest.  I wish you continued peace of mind and health.

Oaktree1

Currently tapering Mirtazapine; previously tapered Cymbalta 30mg from June 2018-Feb 2019 and Seroquel 150mg to zero from Oct-December 2020.

Supplements for Hashimoto's disease and histamine issues relating to Mirtazapine:   Vitamin D3 1,000mcg, bio-identical HRT, Selenium, Quercetin, Lutein, Zinc, Vitamin C, Omega 3.

Mirtazapine Taper: 2021 16th Aug -  transitioned to liquid from tablet by dissolving two 15mg tablets into a solution of 15 ml water and 15 ml maple syrup on a starting dose of what I thought was 7.5ml; 17 Sept  - 7.31; 24 Sept  - 7.13; 15 Oct  - 6.95; 6 Nov  - 6.78; 21 Nov  - 6.61; 5 Dec  - 6.51;

2022 - 1 Jan 6.41; 1 Feb  - 6.1; 9 Mar -  5.8; 13 Mar - 5.9; 7 Apr - 5.8; 21 Apr - 5.7; 7 May - 5.63; 23 May - 5.55; 8 June 5.50;  (got COVID on 12th June so held); 1 July 5.4; 15 July 5.32; 8 Aug 5.2; 15 Aug 5.1; 22 Aug 5; 19 Sept 4.9; 2 Oct 4.81; 13 Oct 4.71; (COVID Booster 17/10/22 so longer hold ); 1 Nov 4.65; 3 Nov 4.60; 10 Nov 4.55; 13 Nov 4.50; 17 Nov 4.45; 20 Nov 4.40;  2 Dec 4.30mg; 9 Dec 4.20mg; I discovered that the volumetric container measured 33ml rather than 30ml in Dec 2022. Following helpful advice from moderator OnMyWay (see her  reply of the 5th March) discovered taper with the dilution was 3.8mg (calculated by dividing 30/33 so that every 1ml of solution has  0.90ml of Mirtazapine.  7.50 - 0.90= 6.6ml which was the starting dose on 16th Aug 2021 not 7.5ml).  I decided to keep using the solution as I didn't want more change to deal with than I had to.

2023 17 Mar 4.1(3.7); 26 Mar 4.0(3.6); 14 Apr 3.9(3.51)28 Apr 3.8(3.42); 6 Jun 3.7(3.33); 19 Jun 3.6(3.24); 30 Jun 3.5(3.1); 19 Jul 3.4(3.06); 27 Jul 3.35 (3.01); 29 Jul 3.3 (2.97); 4 Aug 3.25 (2.92); 7 Aug 3.2 (2.88); 21 Aug 3.1 (2.79); 14.09 3 (2.7); 29th Sept 2.9(2.61); 15 Oct 2.8(2.52); 30 Oct 10 2.7(2.43); 13 Nov 2.65(2.38); 20 Nov 2.6(2.34); 26 Nov 2.55(2.29); 10 Dec 2.5(2.25); 

2024 - 14 Jan 2.45(2.20); 22 Jan 2.40(2.16); 29 Jan 2.35(2.11); 2 Feb 2.3 (2.07);15 Feb 2.25(2.02); 22 Feb 2.21 (1.98); 29 Feb 2.17(1.95); 7 Mar 2.13(1.91); 21 Mar 2.05 (1.84); 31 Mar 2.01 (1.80); 14 Apr 1.90 (1.71);

This is not 'medical advice' - my 'non medical advice' is don't get any more 'medical advice' or you may end up getting more 'medical treatment' i.e more drugs, DSM labels and/or ECT.   Please do not PM me thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Moonpie said:

@Shep  Thank you for your incredible update and taking the time to do it!  I am so happy for you!   You and Alto are the original settlers that went before us and made our ways easier. We are all pioneers following your trail in our covered wagons heading to the new territory of being healed and drug free! Thank you for all you do!

Thanks, @Moonpie We are all pioneers in our own life journey, so you are also paving your own way and doing the hard work. Thank you for also sharing your journey and all you're doing as a wise and caring Mentor. 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, zepedroj said:

We are all very happy for you Shep. Tremendous inspiration 🙏

Thank you, @zepedroj I appreciate your kind message. 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Oaktree1 said:

Hi Shep,

I have followed your story to wellness and freedom from psychiatric oppression with a kind of awe partly because you were in the system so long and because from reading your story I think you had to do it entirely on your own.  I think it is extraordinary to be honest.  I wish you continued peace of mind and health.

Oaktree1

Thanks, @Oaktree1 I would say I felt the most alone while I was drugged. The drugs themselves, especially at that high degree, cause a person to be cut off from everyone around them so it does leave people in a state where they have to do this alone and without a lot of resources. So you're right about that. Thankfully, sites like SA, with all of you wonderful members and the staff, help create a social support network unlike anything I've had before. It feels good not to have to go through this part of the journey alone. It definitely gets better and better. 

@Shepi always come back to your story for hope and inspiration, Shep. What an incredible journey you’ve had. Can I ask, did you live completely alone during your withdrawal experience? Thanks for all you’ve done for this community and the hope you’ve inspired 

2008: start Lexapro 10 mg which is quickly upped to 20 mg. 2008:2013 try at least four individual times to get off Lexapro, never get lower than 5mg, settle at 15 mg. 2015: again, attempt to get off Lexapro and get to 5 mg. After 6 months, feel i'm stabilizing but go back on a higher dose because of one stressful event. 2016: go to 20 mg from 15 mg due to work stresses, hit severe tolerance for the first time and become very suicidal. 2016-2017: try viibryd and cymbata in an attempt to feel better. Also add Lamictal 150 at some point. 2017: eventually land on paxil 37.5 and Lamictal 150. January 2018: cut paxil to 25. April-July 2018: reduce Lamictal in 50 mg increments till im off August. 2018: reduce paxil to 20 mg. december 2018: dropped Paxil to 18 mg, SEVERE CRASH. March updosed to 20 mg April 11: dropped to 19.4 mg due to akathsia (still experiencing akathsia symptoms from updose) April 20: 19 mg Paxil May 4: 18.7 Paxil July 5: 18.2 July 12: 17.8 Aug 19: 17.5 Aug 26: 17.3 Oct 20: 17.1 Nov 3: 16.9, 8/17/20: 16.6 after nine month hold, 8/24/20: 16.4, 8/31/20:16.2, 9/14/2020: 16.0, 9/21/20: 15.8, 9/28/20: 15.6, 10/19/20:15.4, 10/26/20: 15.2, 11/2/20: 15.1, 11/7/20: 14.8, 3/6/2-: 14.5, 3/20/20: 14.3, 4/3/20: 13.9, 4/10/2021: 13.7. 4/21/21: 13.5, 5/5/2021: 13.1, 12.2 8/12/2021 (slowly microtapered to this number. I just can’t remember the exact dates), 11.8 9/6/2021, 11.6 9/13/21, 11.2 9/27/21, 11.1 9/30/21.....11/5/21 switched to 10 mg tablet. I am holding to stabilize for the foreseeable future. 3/25/22: 9.4, 5/6/22: 9.0, 5/30/22: 8.25, 6/7/22: 8.1, 7/722: 7.65, 8/16/22: 7.39, 9/22/22: 6.91, 10/1/22: 6.78

Medication signature.docx

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Adili13 said:

@Shepi always come back to your story for hope and inspiration, Shep. What an incredible journey you’ve had. Can I ask, did you live completely alone during your withdrawal experience? Thanks for all you’ve done for this community and the hope you’ve inspired 

Yes, I did (and still do) live alone. I have since I was a teenager. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Shep Thank you for your recent update. Your story is such inspirational for me… I have “only” 6,5 years history with psychiatry but do agree with you: psychiatry has nothing in common with healing people… to be honest it is opposite- psychiatry makes ill people and causes many deaths unfortunatelly. 
Enjoy your life. Katerina

November 2016 - first started AD

Many changes in meds and doses made till May 2020, when I started to taper

AP Levomepromazine 12,5mg - taper finished May 2021 (1mg)

AD Amitriptyline 35mg - taper finished September 11th 2022 (0,5mg)

Benzo Diazepam 20mg - taper finished September 10th 2023 (0,14mg)

Z-drug Zolpidem 5mg - taper finished 10th October 2023 (3mg)

Psych drug free 11.10.2023

Antihistamines Levocetirizine 5mg

Melatonin 2mg
My blog about tapering: www.psychofarmakumstop.cz

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Katerina said:

@Shep Thank you for your recent update. Your story is such inspirational for me… I have “only” 6,5 years history with psychiatry but do agree with you: psychiatry has nothing in common with healing people… to be honest it is opposite- psychiatry makes ill people and causes many deaths unfortunatelly. 
Enjoy your life. Katerina

Thanks, Katerina. I could not agree more with your assessment of psychiatry. Very glad you are also getting away from this brutal system. 

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Shep, I am amazed at your recovery.  You have an indomitable human spirit that shines through in everything you've done here.  You are a really good artist!  I'm also very glad to hear that you bike through nature.  You and I have a lot in common - I also paint and draw, and love to hike and bird.  I admire you for your honesty about the true nature of psychiatry, and how much it harms people.  Thank you for all that you do, it is noticed and appreciated. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 month later...

Hi Shep

you haven’t been online in the site for quite a while - hope things are going ok for you 

Oaktree1

Currently tapering Mirtazapine; previously tapered Cymbalta 30mg from June 2018-Feb 2019 and Seroquel 150mg to zero from Oct-December 2020.

Supplements for Hashimoto's disease and histamine issues relating to Mirtazapine:   Vitamin D3 1,000mcg, bio-identical HRT, Selenium, Quercetin, Lutein, Zinc, Vitamin C, Omega 3.

Mirtazapine Taper: 2021 16th Aug -  transitioned to liquid from tablet by dissolving two 15mg tablets into a solution of 15 ml water and 15 ml maple syrup on a starting dose of what I thought was 7.5ml; 17 Sept  - 7.31; 24 Sept  - 7.13; 15 Oct  - 6.95; 6 Nov  - 6.78; 21 Nov  - 6.61; 5 Dec  - 6.51;

2022 - 1 Jan 6.41; 1 Feb  - 6.1; 9 Mar -  5.8; 13 Mar - 5.9; 7 Apr - 5.8; 21 Apr - 5.7; 7 May - 5.63; 23 May - 5.55; 8 June 5.50;  (got COVID on 12th June so held); 1 July 5.4; 15 July 5.32; 8 Aug 5.2; 15 Aug 5.1; 22 Aug 5; 19 Sept 4.9; 2 Oct 4.81; 13 Oct 4.71; (COVID Booster 17/10/22 so longer hold ); 1 Nov 4.65; 3 Nov 4.60; 10 Nov 4.55; 13 Nov 4.50; 17 Nov 4.45; 20 Nov 4.40;  2 Dec 4.30mg; 9 Dec 4.20mg; I discovered that the volumetric container measured 33ml rather than 30ml in Dec 2022. Following helpful advice from moderator OnMyWay (see her  reply of the 5th March) discovered taper with the dilution was 3.8mg (calculated by dividing 30/33 so that every 1ml of solution has  0.90ml of Mirtazapine.  7.50 - 0.90= 6.6ml which was the starting dose on 16th Aug 2021 not 7.5ml).  I decided to keep using the solution as I didn't want more change to deal with than I had to.

2023 17 Mar 4.1(3.7); 26 Mar 4.0(3.6); 14 Apr 3.9(3.51)28 Apr 3.8(3.42); 6 Jun 3.7(3.33); 19 Jun 3.6(3.24); 30 Jun 3.5(3.1); 19 Jul 3.4(3.06); 27 Jul 3.35 (3.01); 29 Jul 3.3 (2.97); 4 Aug 3.25 (2.92); 7 Aug 3.2 (2.88); 21 Aug 3.1 (2.79); 14.09 3 (2.7); 29th Sept 2.9(2.61); 15 Oct 2.8(2.52); 30 Oct 10 2.7(2.43); 13 Nov 2.65(2.38); 20 Nov 2.6(2.34); 26 Nov 2.55(2.29); 10 Dec 2.5(2.25); 

2024 - 14 Jan 2.45(2.20); 22 Jan 2.40(2.16); 29 Jan 2.35(2.11); 2 Feb 2.3 (2.07);15 Feb 2.25(2.02); 22 Feb 2.21 (1.98); 29 Feb 2.17(1.95); 7 Mar 2.13(1.91); 21 Mar 2.05 (1.84); 31 Mar 2.01 (1.80); 14 Apr 1.90 (1.71);

This is not 'medical advice' - my 'non medical advice' is don't get any more 'medical advice' or you may end up getting more 'medical treatment' i.e more drugs, DSM labels and/or ECT.   Please do not PM me thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hope you are doing well, Shep!

All my best,

🧚🏻‍♀️Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep