peacewillcome: peacewillcome 's journal

peacewillcome

hello!

im so happy to have found this site. I guess i will introduce myself :)

i have been on Paxil for about 4 to 5 years now, taking a pretty low dose of 20 mg. I tried quitting about a year ago, my doctor was supportive but gave me no information about withdrawal and such. After two days with 10 mg I immediately went back. i thought it was my anxiety, not withdrawal. I am now quitting again. I reduced my dose to 10 mg and i have been on this for about 4 days. I am already getting bad symptoms. feeling depressed, tired, crying for no reason, emotional, intrusive thoughts, and anxiety. But honestly I am so determined to quit this time because I want to live a drug free life. I have been praying a lot as a coping method which helps. Here are a list of supplements i've been taking that help make my symptoms less severe (not saying you should do what i say at all, this is just what helped me. i'm not a doctor)  : Magnesium, Niacinamide, D3, Iodine, Ashwaganda, and herbal teas. 

Thank you for having me in this beautiful community, I hope to contribute to in some way.

peace will come

starting dose: Paxil 20 mg

current: paxil 10 mg

Edited by Gridley
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, peacewillcome.

You are tapering too fast and are experiencing withdrawal symptoms that will continue.  The supplements are not going to make them go away.   I know you want to get off the drug (we all do), but it has to be done slowly.  Since you've only been at 10mg for 4 days, I would go back up to 20mg and let your system stabilize from the jolt you have given it.  Then, once you've stabilized, you can begin a slow taper.  A slow taper is the fastest way to get off the drugs because you avoid the delays of reinstating and recovering from reinstating.

Once you're ready to taper, we recommend tapering no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Brassmonkey Slide is a way of making micro-taper reductions weekly, as opposed to a larger reduction once a month. Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, devised this method and used it to taper off 40mg Paxil.  He is now some 3 years off the drug and doing very well.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

This link is specifically about tapering Paxil, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for your slow taper.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Here is some useful information of withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems.   Two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

ive been experiencing very vivid dreams and a lot of night sweats. to the point where i wake up and the bed is soaked, its pretty awful. not sure if its a side affect or im just weird. i actually feel okay on the 10 mg of paxil and im feeling a little better. just some intrusive thoughts but not as severe. 

peace will come

current: paxil 10 mg

So things are getting a bit rocky :( I just moved so i don't have a doctor right now. I'm running out of medication. I called multiple hospitals and offices and they either don't awnser or say i have to be approved before i can actually make an appointment. I was taking 10 mg but now im taking 5 mg to try and make it last until i can find a doctor. I am getting more withdrawals but oh well. I've got about 7 days worth of medicine if I take 5 mg. Ill survive

peace will come

current: paxil 5 mg

• Mentor

Hi @peacewillcome How are you doing? I have also been on Paxil for many years, and I know how hard the withdrawals are.  
My best wishes to you 🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

@Hanna72 hey ❤️ I'm doing a little better today. I was really sick yesterday but I'm okay now. Eating clean and drinking lots of tea is helping flush the medicine out of my system and I feel better ❤️

peace will come

starting dose: Paxil 20 mg

current: paxil 5 mg

I ran out of medication a few days ago :( never was able to get into a doctor in my town and I live an hour away from any other town cause I'm in the middle of nowhere. So now I am taking nothing. I guess that's what i wanted right? The withdrawals are pretty intense. Having insane dreams/ not really nightmares but still a little scary. I woke up with the most awful headache, its night now and it still hasn't gone away. Lots of intrusive thoughts scaring me, extremely lethargic. Tough it out or keep trying to find a doctor to fill my perscription? Still deciding.

peace will come

current: 0 mg

My anxiety is so bad and the nightmares are only getting worse. Intrusive thoughts are constant and I just want to lay in bed and do nothing.

peace will come

• Mentor
On 6/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, peacewillcome said:

My anxiety is so bad and the nightmares are only getting worse. Intrusive thoughts are constant and I just want to lay in bed and do nothing.

peace will come

Wow, that is very challenging. Can you talk to as pharmacist and say you are in need of a refill for your meds? I am unsure if this will work but I remember hearing of people getting emergency refills from pharmacy's when they could not get one from a doctor. I am sure if you gave them a rundown of your situation they could help. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

@Cocopuffz17 hi! Thank you for your suggestion. My old doctor actually gave me an emergency refill already so i don't know if i can get one again. But its worth asking :)

I think im now at 2 weeks off my meds, idk im not keeping track cause life feels really hectic and im having so many withdrawals. My memory feels really bad and i swear i have at least 1 or 2 brain zaps per minute. When i look around too fast i get dizzy, and even just walking around i feel strange and wobbly. I think my nervous system is supper effed up :(

• Mentor
2 hours ago, peacewillcome said:

I think im now at 2 weeks off my meds, idk im not keeping track cause life feels really hectic and im having so many withdrawals. My memory feels really bad and i swear i have at least 1 or 2 brain zaps per minute. When i look around too fast i get dizzy, and even just walking around i feel strange and wobbly. I think my nervous system is supper effed up :(

These are absolutely withdrawals. I had these as well. IMO I would try to get back on your med and stabilize and taper slowly to minimize this. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• 2 months later...

So I've been off paxil for two months, I feel absolutely terrible. My OCD is back and even worse. I have extreme derealization and panic attacks.  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to try and go back on my old medication. I'll try to get off it again in a few months I guess

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, peacewillcome said:

So I've been off paxil for two months, I feel absolutely terrible. My OCD is back and even worse. I have extreme derealization and panic attacks.  I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to try and go back on my old medication. I'll try to get off it again in a few months I guess

This is withdrawals from coming off too quick. You can push through or reinstate and stabilize! I’d follow the mods recommendations.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, peacewillcome said:

Hello peacewillcome,

Can you please fill your signature with your drug history ?

This will help us to understand your situation. 

Please include dates on/off, dose changes.

I've taken a quick look to your thread and it seems that you did a very fast taper.

Please see :

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

---》 do you take any other drugs /supplements ?

--》 as you've been off Paxil since 2 months, we recommend to reinstate at a low dose.

Before your jump to 0 :

- how long have you been on 10mg ?

- how long have you been on 5mg ?

Please see :

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Take care ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

So I've been on paxil 10 mg for a few days now and the side affects are bad. I don't feel like myself at all, I can't fall asleep, I'm still anxious even though it did help some of my anxiety, and I don't get hungry at all. Like it's 2 in the afternoon and I'm still not hungry. 

Im thinking about just taking half the pill to see if it lessens the side affects and still helps my anxiety. I'm going to call my doctor in a bit. What do you guys think?

Peace will come

Currently on 10 mg paxil 

Quit paxil for 2 months and then reinstated

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, Erell said:

Hello peacewillcome,

Can you please fill your signature with your drug history ?

This will help us to understand your situation. 

Please include dates on/off, dose changes.

I've taken a quick look to your thread and it seems that you did a very fast taper.

Please see :

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

---》 do you take any other drugs /supplements ?

--》 as you've been off Paxil since 2 months, we recommend to reinstate at a low dose.

Before your jump to 0 :

- how long have you been on 10mg ?

- how long have you been on 5mg ?

Please see :

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Take care ☀️

Hello,

Can you please fill your signature and answer questions above ?

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.