Mimetz16: Tapering question

Mimetz16

So I have gotten down to 10mg now of the paxil after six months and the Dr wants me to do 10mg one day and skip the pill the next day ect. Like take the pill every other day......is this ok I'm having anxiety about doing this

2004 - present paxil20mg

Aug 2019 -june 2020begin slow taper 20mg down to 10mg

May 2020 10mg paxil 

June 2020 trying to taper from 10mg -0

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mimetz16: Tapering question
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mimetz and welcome SA.

It's really good that you found SA because skipping days to taper is not recommended.  Please see: 

never-skip-doses-to-taper

Have you noticed any withdrawal symptoms during your taper?  How are you feeling now?  Are you sleeping okay?

We need some more details about your drug/s, doses and how you made your reductions.  Please continue to take your current dose at about the same time on a daily basis until we have the information about your taper.  Please create your drug signature which will allow us to see your drug history at a glance.  Please keep it simple.  This topic explains what we need. 

please-summarize-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

This link will take you straight to your signature.  Remember to Save once you have completed it. 

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have more information on how you tapered and how long you took to reduce to 10mg of Paxil we will be able to suggest when it would be okay for you to make another reduction.  I will provide some information below that you can read.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If we reduce our drug too quickly we can experience withdrawal symptoms.  This topic has a list of common withdrawal symptoms (Glenmullens Symptoms).  There are also Excel spreadsheets to use on the computer and PDF sheet of the same symptoms so you can track you symptoms if you wish to do this.  

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Post #1 of this topic explains how to got the doses you need:

tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine

One of our moderators has successfully tapered off Paxil.  This is the link to his success story: 

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

There are other success stories here:

success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions, journal your progress and connect with the community.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You could always print off the list in the Never Skip Doses to Taper and give it to your doctor.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ok hopefully you can see the signature now

I am feeling ok just dizzy

I sleep but definitely not at night

2004 - present paxil20mg

Aug 2019 -june 2020begin slow taper 20mg down to 10mg

May 2020 10mg paxil 

June 2020 trying to taper from 10mg -0

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, yes I can see your signature.  It would be better if you can provide dates (or early mid late month if date not known) and doses of how you got down to 10mg Paxil.

The following is the format that is easier for the mods to follow. 

Paxil:  2004, 20mg; ? Aug 2019, dose; ? month year, dose; ................... ? May 2020, 10mg

Have you ever taken any other psychiatric drugs?  Is Paxil the only drug you are currently taking?  If needed, please add them to the signature too.

A few more questions:  When did the dizziness start?  Is it better or worse at any time?  If it is intermittent, does it start again after you have made a reduction and then improves?