Nexus6: My story of benzos

Nexus6

I was prescribed 2mg Clonazepam in Dec 2012 to help combat my worsening anxiety & OCD when my son deployed to Afghanistan. I was already taking 10mg of zolpidem as I’ve been an insomniac for years. The Clonazepam helped ease my anxiety & OCD and I was able to start living a ‘normal’ life again and my son returned home safely. My provider never informed me how awful this drug could be and never broached cessation in the years I continued to see her. I was cut off in Jan ‘19 when my provider couldn’t see me any longer because there was a change in my insurance. I was rapid-tapered by my PCP and that was the beginning of my over-a-year now withdrawal and everyday is a struggle 

Edited by ChessieCat
formatted to remove background grey

Prescribed 2mg K (clonazepam) in 12/2012 for anxiety & OCD 

12/12 - 01/19 2 mg K
02/19 - 03/19 1 mg K
03/19 - 07/19 0.5 mg K (switched to Valium by PCP)
08/19 - 09/19 5 mg V
09/19 - 10/19 4 mg V
10/19 - 11/19 3 mg V (feeling mild wd sxs)
11/19 - 12/19 2 mg V (wd sxs worse)
12/19 - 01/20 2 mg V 
02/20 - Pres updosed to 9.5mg V to see if I could stabilize; still feeling 🧠 impaired 
2005 - Pres 10mg Zolpidem. Plan to taper to 5mg when benzo taper is complete. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Nexus6: My story of benzos
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Nexus6.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

Are you still on the Zopiclone or were you cut off from that also in Jan. 2019?

There is a lot of hope for you to heal.  It's going to take some time, though, and we can't predict how long.  ChessieCat, one of our moderators, posted these success stories of people who healed from withdrawal, including Shep, GiaK and happy2heal healed from being polydrugged including benzos.  I'm hoping you can derive some solace and hope from reading these stories.

success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal

Shep one of the moderators has recovered from being poly-drugged - drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines.   

GiaK too also has - I withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

happy2heal

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

If anxiety is one of your symptoms, these links offer help in coping with anxiety.

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help …

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

You mentioned insomnia.  Here are some suggestions for better sleep.

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley ~ thank you for the welcome and all the useful links and information. I also frequent the BenzoBuddies forum and have found some good tools there as well. 

To answer your question regarding the Z-drug ~ no, I was not CT’d from zolpidem and still continue to take it nightly. Once I taper off V, it is my intent to taper the Z down to 5 mgs. Insomnia has been a part of my life since childhood, much like my anxiety & OCD. Aside from the zolpidem, I wasn’t on any meds for years ~ not until my son deployed. I can say I was severely depressed a month before his deployment as I’d been laid off from a job I loved simply because the company was moving back East and I was not in the position to make that move. 

Regardless, I am taking some supplements to help with the anxiety. Omega-3 fish oil, Vit C, Magnesium Glycinate and Glysine; and I’ve been advised to get a good B-complex vitamin ~ although I’m hesitant because I know B’s can be stimulating. Though I know our bodies need B’s. It’s a dilemma. 

I meditate daily, mostly deep breathing exercises, and I do a sleep meditation and listen to a sleep hypnosis video at bedtime. They help. I’ve yet to hear the end of the sleep hypnosis video.

Again, thank you for welcoming me to SA and all the useful information and links. I’m very grateful to be here. 

Prescribed 2mg K (clonazepam) in 12/2012 for anxiety & OCD 

12/12 - 01/19 2 mg K
02/19 - 03/19 1 mg K
03/19 - 07/19 0.5 mg K (switched to Valium by PCP)
08/19 - 09/19 5 mg V
09/19 - 10/19 4 mg V
10/19 - 11/19 3 mg V (feeling mild wd sxs)
11/19 - 12/19 2 mg V (wd sxs worse)
12/19 - 01/20 2 mg V 
02/20 - Pres updosed to 9.5mg V to see if I could stabilize; still feeling 🧠 impaired 
2005 - Pres 10mg Zolpidem. Plan to taper to 5mg when benzo taper is complete. 

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Nexus6 said:

Once I taper off V,

I haven't seen this mentioned.  What is V and what is your dosage? Also, at what rate are you tapering?

Please give us your drug signature (see next paragraph).  You'll need to do this on a computer rather than a phone.  A list with name of drug, dates and dosages is the best format.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

52 minutes ago, Nexus6 said:

I’ve been advised to get a good B-complex vitamin ~ although I’m hesitant because I know B’s can be stimulating.

Please take a look at this link before you decide on a B-complex.  When you're in withdrawal from a benzo, you don't need more stimulation.  Try to get your B vitamins from food if possible.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.