SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Anxious403: Cut 10mg Prozac during Klonopin taper, now I’m in hell. Need advice!

Anxious403

I’m new here.  Sorry if I’m violating any rules.  I’m in the most intense withdrawal of my life right now.  Can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t find a safe zone to relax.  Can’t even strum a guitar without shaking.

I was tapering Klonopin and thought I’d get rid of Prozac at the same time.  What I thought was slowly, I found out was not slow.  I knew about benzos, but I was naive about SSRIs.

Anyway, I have a wife and kids.  I can’t tolerate this intensity anymore.  I chose to reinstate yesterday at 20mg.  How long does a reinstated dose take to clear up withdrawal symptoms?  I have to wait a week or two until it take some effect again?  I’m doing my absolute best not to updose my Klonopin, but it’s extremely difficult.

NEVER TAPER TWO DRUGS! I learned this the hard way and I’m paying for it.

40B267AC-358C-4892-89CA-F13AAD64F5AA.jpeg

Prozac:

60-80mg from 2015 to 2019. 

Tapered from 60 to 10 no issues by 2019. 

Dropping to 0mg, sent me into horrible side-effects about 75 days later. Re-instated at 6mg in June 2020.  Waiting to level off.

Klonopin:

From 2000 to present for generalized anxiety (as high as 8mg).

I've spent 2019/2020 tapering from 3mg to 0.11mg currently. 

Was doing fine until I eliminated Prozac during my Klonopin taper.

So after doing some reading.  It seems my options are either take an extremely low dose to see if it helps, or continue on through acute withdrawal.

If I continue on, how much are these two 20mg doses going to affect things?  Probably not much at all? 

Prozac:

Dropping to 0mg, sent me into horrible side-effects about 75 days later. Re-instated at 6mg in June 2020.  Waiting to level off.

Klonopin:

• Altostrata changed the title to Anxious403 Cut 10mg Prozac during Klonopin taper, now I’m in hell. Need advice!
  • Administrator

Welcome, Anxious.

Did you feel any effect from the 2 20mg doses?

If I were you, I'd take 5mg Prozac for your next dose, probably no need to take more. This topic explains how to take a small dose Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Generally, we advise people to go off the antidepressant before the benzo, to preserve sleep.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you.  I've been reading stories all morning.  Two weeks ago, it was smooth sailing with my klonopin taper.  Then I started getting migraines, fatigue, vision issues.  Then a week after that I was knocked over with brutal symptoms.  I had no idea what they were from until I started reading.   75 days after stopping prozac, it bit me out of nowhere!

I've taken two days at 10mg, but I'm going to reduce to 5mg and hope these awful symptoms diminish over the next few weeks.

Prozac:

Klonopin:

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd stop tapering Klonopin as well, don't add more changes to your nervous system upset.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

After the first two doses, I don’t feel much at all.  Definitely no relief.  How does prozac work when you’re off it for 80 days?  Is it basically like starting all over again and it might be 3-4 weeks to get any relief?

As for the klonopin, I’ve held it 15 days.  I was doing really well, so this has me feeling really defeated. I hope I can get back to where I was a month ago.

Prozac:

Klonopin:

• ChessieCat changed the title to Anxious403: Cut 10mg Prozac during Klonopin taper, now I’m in hell. Need advice!
  • 2 years later...

Title: Prozac to Wellbutrin swap?

I've failed two fluoxetine tapers now.  Once was too fast, and the other just got unbearable with withdrawal symptoms slamming me 3 months later and I had to reinstate.

Has anybody who had troubles getting off an SSRI, had any luck switching to Wellbutrin, which might at least have fewer side effects?  My doctors want me to try this replacement over a couple months, but I'm scared of the PAWS effect happening again with Prozac.

Anybody been down a similar path? I want to make the switch, but I'm scared to go ahead with it.  Would the new Wellbutrin in my system relieve the withdrawal delayed withdrawal effects of Prozac?  I realize one is seratonin and the other is dopamine, and that's what makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from the Tapering forum

Prozac:

Klonopin:

• Moderator Emeritus

@Anxious403 Please note I moved your latest post from the Tapering forum to here in your intro/update thread so all of your information is in one place. Please continue to post your questions here. 

Please update your signature to bring us up to speed with your drug history since you were last here in June 2020. A direct link is here:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Once we know more about your history over the past couple of years, we can give you more targeted advice. Whether or not people do well with these types of crossovers has a lot to do with the level of stability they currently have. This is why we rarely recommend crossovers. There's more research and anecdotal accounts of hypersensitivity and kindling that can happen.  The track records simply aren't good with folks with destabilized nervous systems. But again, once we know more about your history, we can give targeted advice for your specific situation.