MindDrift: olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal, then Citalopram withdrawal

MindDrift

@Altostrata

Hey Alto!

Thanks for your message.

A wave of withdrawal symptoms. The physical are pains in the legs, flue like aching body, headaches that come & go, and generally feeling a bit under the weather. The emotional is anger, rage, negative thinking, resentment & a whole host of other negative emotions. It all comes & goes. Like I said before, there's no pattern to it all. Yesterday I felt terrible, this morning not so bad, this evening I feel almost without symptoms. I can have these waves coming & going a few times within one day. I can also get them & they last for a few days/ a week solid. Sometimes I can be almost symptom free for a couple of days then get plunged back into it all again.

Olanzapine 2.5mg 2007 - 8.5.2020. 1.25mg held for 4 weeks then stopped.

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

• Administrator

You experience this after you increase citalopram? How long does it last?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataYes, after citalopram increase, it’s the only medication I take. I would say, a period of increased withdrawal symptoms for a day or two maybe.  Then it settles back down again. 

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

• Administrator

A day or 2 is acceptable, it's the drug level increasing in your system. The question is, do you feel better, worse, or the same after the first few days, when your system is accustomed to the drug increase?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yeah, it's a couple of days usually, and although it's a slow process, I think that it is helping a bit.

After a few days I can start to feel the increased dose having a sort of calming effect from time to time, but when the waves of withdrawal that I described are happening, things can still get very uncomfortable, particularly with my mental & emotional state.

Is there any sort of theory about how much reinstatement, and making small increases in the dose helps the CNS stabilise? Would this be the case, or is it only time that helps with this stabilisation?

Stress is a really big factor for me in terms of triggering waves of symptoms. For instance, the last couple of days I've been off work, and relatively stress free, which has also meant that I've felt much better.

I work for myself so I could take time off, or even go part time for a couple of months, to try to minimise stress levels. If I were to do this, then I know it would help me during that time, but would a few months of reduced stress help to speed up my CNS rebalancing in the long run, and help me to get back onto an even keel sooner?

Thanks in advance!

x

12 hours ago, MindDrift said:

@Altostrata

Yeah, it's a couple of days usually, and although it's a slow process, I think that it is helping a bit.

After a few days I can start to feel the increased dose having a sort of calming effect from time to time, but when the waves of withdrawal that I described are happening, things can still get very uncomfortable, particularly with my mental & emotional state.

Is there any sort of theory about how much reinstatement, and making small increases in the dose helps the CNS stabilise? Would this be the case, or is it only time that helps with this stabilisation?

Stress is a really big factor for me in terms of triggering waves of symptoms. For instance, the last couple of days I've been off work, and relatively stress free, which has also meant that I've felt much better.

I work for myself so I could take time off, or even go part time for a couple of months, to try to minimise stress levels. If I were to do this, then I know it would help me during that time, but would a few months of reduced stress help to speed up my CNS rebalancing in the long run, and help me to get back onto an even keel sooner?

Thanks in advance!

x

• Mentor

@MindDrift  Hi I wanted to pop by and say you are doing a great job holding it together. I have been following your thread.  You sure have gone through a lot. I know with your strength and determination you will beat this.  Who would have ever thought these meds could cause such a mess to our system.  It's pretty much bring me to my knees😖

Hang in there

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Mentor

@MindDrift  Oh yeah, if you can cut down on your work and relieve some of your stress, I say go for it.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, MindDrift said:

The amount of updose is individual, we don't know what your "sweet spot" is, which is why we start very low, rather than risk an adverse reaction to a higher dose.

When did you last make a dosage change? Please update your signature.

It's a good sign that overall, the updose is even slightly beneficial.

It is normal for stabilization to be slow and wobbly. It sounds like you're sensitive to stress, which is also normal for withdrawal syndrome.

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hi @MindDrift

Grats on getting clear of the olanzapine.  You did that pretty fast, I have to say.  I reckon I would've been getting into strife coming off it as quickly as you did.  Though you were on a lower dose, and an AD as well.  I'm impressed you were able to stabilise after that - you mentioned a daily meditation practice and I bet that helps a ton.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your citalopram taper.  You mention aching legs etc a lot, especially after your repeated updoses - that sounds reminiscent of olanzapine dosage changes that would induce akathisia for me.  (Akathisia sucks!)

Would you say you are getting more relief with these updoses?  I ask, because it looks like each one is just clobbering your nervous system with more changes to adapt to, when your discomfort is probably originating in its attempts to catch up.  Even adding to its 'back log'.

Please consider a good long hold, and as much self care as you can muster (it's a great skill to work on) while you ride out the aches and pains of your body finding equilibrium.  I love good long soaks in epsom salts, and stuffing as much hemp protein powder as I can down my face a few times a week (I hate fish oil).

You said 'core mental health problems' at some stage too - finding a psychologist to help me process my trauma has been a key part of my taper, and I'm not sure I would've made it this far down the mountain without the sherpas there.

Hang in there eh

Edited by hayduke

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

On 8/31/2021 at 11:58 PM, Greatful said:

@MindDrift  Hi I wanted to pop by and say you are doing a great job holding it together. I have been following your thread.  You sure have gone through a lot. I know with your strength and determination you will beat this.  Who would have ever thought these meds could cause such a mess to our system.  It's pretty much bring me to my knees😖

Hang in there

Hi @Greatful Thanks for your message of support.

This is not what I expected to be happening fourteen years after I got sober, but it is what it is.

It's one of the most challenging things I've been through in my whole life. Getting off of Olanzapine was difficult, even though I did what was considered a very fast taper, after a few months later I was mostly ok. Thought it was going to be similar with Citalopram, but it's not been the case at all. I just want to get stabilised now, which seems to be happening, but it's such a slow process. Thanks God for people like you and the rest of those on this forum.

Bless you. x

10 hours ago, hayduke said:

Hi @MindDrift

Grats on getting clear of the olanzapine.  You did that pretty fast, I have to say.  I reckon I would've been getting into strife coming off it as quickly as you did.  Though you were on a lower dose, and an AD as well.  I'm impressed you were able to stabilise after that - you mentioned a daily meditation practice and I bet that helps a ton.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your citalopram taper.  You mention aching legs etc a lot, especially after your repeated updoses - that sounds reminiscent of olanzapine dosage changes that would induce akathisia for me.  (Akathisia sucks!)

Would you say you are getting more relief with these updoses?  I ask, because it looks like each one is just clobbering your nervous system with more changes to adapt to, when your discomfort is probably originating in its attempts to catch up.  Even adding to its 'back log'.

Please consider a good long hold, and as much self care as you can muster (it's a great skill to work on) while you ride out the aches and pains of your body finding equilibrium.  I love good long soaks in epsom salts, and stuffing as much hemp protein powder as I can down my face a few times a week (I hate fish oil).

You said 'core mental health problems' at some stage too - finding a psychologist to help me process my trauma has been a key part of my taper, and I'm not sure I would've made it this far down the mountain without the sherpas there.

Hang in there eh

Hi @hayduke

Thanks for your message.

Olanzapine wasn't easy but went ok. All things considered it went pretty much the way I hoped it would. Three month taper, three months of painful, but decreasing withdrawal symptoms, then back to some semblance of normality

Citalopram was more intense but seemed to be following the same sort of pattern, but then had the massive unbearable waves of withdrawal at three months, which caused me to reinstate. I'm still not sure why it happened that way with Citalopram & not Olanzapine. 

I think the slowly increased dose is helping but it's such a slow process, but yeah, the way you've described the CNS getting clobbered, sounds very apt. I'm staying where I am at 2.5mg for a month & see how I feel then. Like Alto said, gotta find what's the the "sweet spot" for me.

How is it for you with increases? Do you get waves of withdrawal after them? If so, how long is it for you to stabilise then feel the benefits?

Yeah, the meditation & other spiritual stuff I learned in AA has helped me no end. They've been the things that have been pulling me back towards the light, at what has been a very dark time for me.

I did some paid counselling sessions a few weeks ago, but didn't find them hugely helpful at this time. I've got the 12 step program & lots of friends in AA which I can share with about what's going on for me, which I'm hugely grateful for. Plus, all the AA stuff is free, which is a great bonus! : ) x

On 9/1/2021 at 12:43 AM, Altostrata said:

The amount of updose is individual, we don't know what your "sweet spot" is, which is why we start very low, rather than risk an adverse reaction to a higher dose.

When did you last make a dosage change? Please update your signature.

It's a good sign that overall, the updose is even slightly beneficial.

It is normal for stabilization to be slow and wobbly. It sounds like you're sensitive to stress, which is also normal for withdrawal syndrome.

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hey @Altostrata!

Increased dose to 2.5mg on 24/8/21, so about ten days ago. I just updated this in my signature.

Last few days been better, but had some real negativity in my mind today, which seems to be a cyclic thing, though physical symptoms have been minimal.

Did you ever have to reinstate? if so, what's your experience of this?

Hayduke suggested that the increases may be aggravating my CNS before I start to get the benefit of it. Do you think that this might be the case?

I live in London, which can be kind of stressful at times, but on Monday Im going to the coast for a few days, to see how this is going to affect what I'm going through.

Also, do you think that taking time off work & trying to minimise stress in general, as well as helping me right now, might help me to stabilise quicker, and help the healing process in the long run, 

Thanks! x

11 hours ago, MindDrift said:

How is it for you with increases? Do you get waves of withdrawal after them? If so, how long is it for you to stabilise then feel the benefits?

I suppose in the start I was fortunate enough to stop indefinitely at 5mg olanzapine after trying to cut to 3 1/3mg on my own...it was just too much.  Like skipping a day at 10mg was plenty to dissuade me from going CT.  On my own I found making those chunky few steps between 10 down to 5mg was not that disruptive, kind of muted.  (Obviously I never "needed" 10mg).  I don't remember more than a week of discomfort after going back to 5mg from 3 1/3, and it was probably made less significant by the relief of the (neuro-)anxiety abating.  But that sort of thing, up or down, is where I recognise the "aching legs" you mentioned.

When I had another crack at getting down past 5mg it was because a friend had said "you _really_ want to read Breggin".  That opened the door and though I had a lot of trepidation, as I'd been browbeaten into thinking I could never get off the drug, I remember sitting up in the wee hours with "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" feeling the horror, anger and motivation.  I told my friends what I was doing as a social support network, and of course my psychologist, who arranged a psychiatrist to contact if we _really_ needed one (haven't ;-) ) and was able to clamber down gradually over 5 months to 2.5mg before long, then a six month hold, around when I joined SA.  While I think 2.5mg and below has been more challenging, life's been better and I've been better at it since then, like a layer of fog lifting off.  I was able to reconnect with my friends emotionally around then and not struggle with subtleties.

Since then I think the only updose I made was from about 1.2mg or so to 1.25mg.  There was some receptor affinity crossover action around there, maybe like coming down through the snowline by way of analogy, and after 3 or 4 weeks I was still having that neuro-anxiety and low mood.  Just didn't feel right.  I noticed the difference the next morning and was steady again inside a week back at 1.25mg.  Best of all I was able to continue the taper without fuss after a few weeks holding there.  I had to marvel that such a fine adjustment made the difference between anxiety and suffering, and relatively smooth running.

So I don't have much to add on updosing for all that typing just now, but I have always found holding to do the trick, for months if necessary, except for those two instances.  The first one was a blind 180 back to where it was 'ok', the second just enough to ease whatever neuroplastic processes were underway.

I've found that the larger and faster the dosage changes, the more you court akathisia.  Dopamine level changes are one of the big brakes on the whole process IMO.

If you were interested, there's a graph in my sig which reflects the rate of taper I've been able to maintain without severe disruptions.

Cheers

Edit:  Although you asked Alto this

11 hours ago, MindDrift said:

Also, do you think that taking time off work & trying to minimise stress in general, as well as helping me right now, might help me to stabilise quicker, and help the healing process in the long run

I would respond with a firm yes.  Take all the pressure off you can.  Get comfy!

Edited by hayduke

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

2 hours ago, hayduke said:

@haydukeThanks for your response, much appreciated!

How do I see your signature? 

2 hours ago, hayduke said:

I suppose in the start I was fortunate enough to stop indefinitely at 5mg olanzapine after trying to cut to 3 1/3mg on my own...it was just too much.  Like skipping a day at 10mg was plenty to dissuade me from going CT.  On my own I found making those chunky few steps between 10 down to 5mg was not that disruptive, kind of muted.  (Obviously I never "needed" 10mg).  I don't remember more than a week of discomfort after going back to 5mg from 3 1/3, and it was probably made less significant by the relief of the (neuro-)anxiety abating.  But that sort of thing, up or down, is where I recognise the "aching legs" you mentioned.

When I had another crack at getting down past 5mg it was because a friend had said "you _really_ want to read Breggin".  That opened the door and though I had a lot of trepidation, as I'd been browbeaten into thinking I could never get off the drug, I remember sitting up in the wee hours with "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" feeling the horror, anger and motivation.  I told my friends what I was doing as a social support network, and of course my psychologist, who arranged a psychiatrist to contact if we _really_ needed one (haven't 😉 ) and was able to clamber down gradually over 5 months to 2.5mg before long, then a six month hold, around when I joined SA.  While I think 2.5mg and below has been more challenging, life's been better and I've been better at it since then, like a layer of fog lifting off.  I was able to reconnect with my friends emotionally around then and not struggle with subtleties.

Since then I think the only updose I made was from about 1.2mg or so to 1.25mg.  There was some receptor affinity crossover action around there, maybe like coming down through the snowline by way of analogy, and after 3 or 4 weeks I was still having that neuro-anxiety and low mood.  Just didn't feel right.  I noticed the difference the next morning and was steady again inside a week back at 1.25mg.  Best of all I was able to continue the taper without fuss after a few weeks holding there.  I had to marvel that such a fine adjustment made the difference between anxiety and suffering, and relatively smooth running.

So I don't have much to add on updosing for all that typing just now, but I have always found holding to do the trick, for months if necessary, except for those two instances.  The first one was a blind 180 back to where it was 'ok', the second just enough to ease whatever neuroplastic processes were underway.

I've found that the larger and faster the dosage changes, the more you court akathisia.  Dopamine level changes are one of the big brakes on the whole process IMO.

If you were interested, there's a graph in my sig which reflects the rate of taper I've been able to maintain without severe disruptions.

Cheers

Edit:  Although you asked Alto this

I would respond with a firm yes.  Take all the pressure off you can.  Get comfy!

This one

I see I made too big a cut too quick from 2.5 too and bumped it back up a bit.  No biggie, again these things all tend to settle down in under a week I found

Edited by hayduke

2 minutes ago, hayduke said:

Thanks @hayduke! This is ver helpful. How has it been after each cut? Are you still getting symptoms when you've made them? If so, how long does it take to get back on an even keel?

Yeah, ha.  It never seems to end.  But keeping each cut manageable is the only practical way that I can see.  "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."

Have you had a look at the brass monkey taper?  I tried a few different modes before finding this one had several advantages for me.

• Administrator
21 hours ago, MindDrift said:

Last few days been better, but had some real negativity in my mind today, which seems to be a cyclic thing, though physical symptoms have been minimal.

What symptoms have improved over the last few days?

What is the content of that negativity?

Hi Alto!

Everything improved: Felt physically better and mentally & emotionally improved too. That was until today when I've felt awful, mostly with my mental state, but the mental stress is triggering physical withdrawal symptoms.

The content of the negativity. Well, mostly reliving things that have happened to me in my past. Feeling real anger & resentment towards those who have wronged me. These are all things that I had dealt with through the 12 step program in the last fourteen years since I got sober. Even before all this Citalopram withdrawal drama that I'm in now, some of those things would occasionally come up for me, but not with the power & ferocity that I feel them now. I'm so sensitive to the things that are happening around me too. I'm a sensitive soul anyway, but it's all really magnified right now. 

Edited by Altostrata
removed coding

• Administrator

The negativity sounds like something you can control, it's the way you're reacting to your situation, it's not a withdrawal symptom per se. See 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals 

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

The best self-therapy is simply to forgive yourself every time self-blaming comes up. You might have to do this multiple times a day. You might have to get up and forgive yourself right off. Do not stint on the self-forgiving.

Thanks Alto!

This is very helpful, particularly the emotional spirals section. I've always had these periods of negativity, though maybe not a part of the withdrawals, are drastically magnified by them. There is a school of thought that says that these periods can be controlled, but despite practicing many of the above techniques since 2007, I'm not always able to do this. I am also someone who works really hard every day to treat my mental & emotional condition, including: daily meditation, chatting with friends every day, regular meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous, being of service to others and the practice of the 12 step program. Sometimes I'm able to lessen the extent of these trying periods, but at other times I feel completely powerless, and just have to wait for them to pass. Forgiveness of self & others is something I really struggle with. It's something I'm constantly working on so thanks for the reminder. x

The negativity sounds like something you can control, it's the way you're reacting to your situation, it's not a withdrawal symptom per se. See 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals 

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

The best self-therapy is simply to forgive yourself every time self-blaming comes up. You might have to do this multiple times a day. You might have to get up and forgive yourself right off. Do not stint on the self-forgiving.

Edited by Altostrata
deleted code

On 9/4/2021 at 12:28 PM, hayduke said:

Thanks @hayduke! @Altostrata

I'm having the mother of all difficult days today. Reminds me of what it was like when I was three months off and got hit with the waves of delayed withdrawal. Supposed to be going away on holiday tomorrow but don't give a s**t if I go or not. I'd actually prefer to not go. Woke this morning thinking "God, not another day of this again" & it's just got worse as the day's gone on. Just feel numb, sick, depressed & totally unenthusiastic about everything. And just to think that, based on what I've read on this forum, I could be going through this for months, or maybe even years to come is not a great thing to consider.

Yeah, ha.  It never seems to end.  But keeping each cut manageable is the only practical way that I can see.  "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."

Have you had a look at the brass monkey taper?  I tried a few different modes before finding this one had several advantages for me.

• Administrator

Allowing the storms to pass is a good technique, too.

I'm always a big fan of holding when wd symptoms get in the way of life.  Once you establish a stable level of dosage and your body's caught up, you can then plan a much gentler taper.  And then just hold any time you want a break from wd.

At times I've spent 30+ minutes a day in a bath chock full of epsom salts or MgCl.  It's a really easy way to nourish and relax your nervous system, if you haven't tried it.

@hayduke

@Altostrata

@ChessieCat

@manymoretodays

Hey!

Not having the greatest day today, but better than it has been.

That last wave of withdrawal I had lasted for a couple of weeks & was probably as bad as it's ever been. I was hoping that they were going to get better, not come back with the same intensity as before.

I've been on 2.5mg for almost three weeks now & am going to hold for a while to see what's going to happen. 

My increases are always 0.5mg and I seem to be experiencing a wave of withdrawal every time I up the dose. Part of me thinks, and this has been suggested, that every increase is aggravating my destabilised CNS which needs time to adjust. Another part of me thinks I should lower the dose. At what point will I know if the current dose, or possible future increases are making things worse instead of better?

I'm also unsure as to why I was able to successfully do a three month Olanzapine taper, followed by three months of acute withdrawals, then get back to some semblance of normality, without encountering the horrific post withdrawals I am now experiencing by tapering Citalopram in the same way?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

x

• Administrator

What are the symptoms that occur every time you increase the dose?

By definition, these are not withdrawal symptoms.

@Altostrata

Hey Alto!

Thanks for your reply.

The symptoms: The physical are pains in the legs, flu like aching body, headaches that come & go, but sometimes continue for days, and generally feeling a bit under the weather. The emotional is anger, rage, negative thinking, resentment & a whole host of other negative emotions.

I was under the impression that these are all classic withdrawal symptoms?

• Administrator

Withdrawal symptoms occur after you reduce dosage. Symptoms that occur after increasing dosage are adverse effects. They can be similar symptoms.

The unpleasant symptoms you get are when you increase the dose are what doctors call "start up effects".

Now that you're taking 2.5mg, do you feel better or worse than when you were reducing citalopram early this year? What symptoms have changed?

@Altostrata

Ah, ok, I see, "start up effects" that's interesting, thanks!

Well, I was completely off of Citalopram for three months & the symptoms I'm getting waves of, which come & go, are pretty much the same. They were the most intense between two & nine weeks, or thereabouts, but looked like they were starting to fade. When I got to about twelve weeks, I had a massive wave of what I now know is delayed or post withdrawal symptoms, which was absolutely horrific & caused me to reinstate. The symptoms I'm getting now are all pretty much the same, though maybe not quite as intense, and I think I am able to have a few days here & there where I feel not quite so unwell. Though there were times during those three months after I'd jumped off where I felt better a bit between waves of withdrawal symptoms too.

What do you think? Stay at 2.5mg?

Another thing I'm slightly unclear about is, how much of getting back onto an even keel is due to the reinstatement, and medication working in my system, and how much is due to giving my CNS time to heal/ rebuild etc?

Thanks! x

• Administrator

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last week?

Low-dose reinstatement enables stabilization so your nervous system can adapt to a low drug level instead of flailing from withdrawal.

@Altostrata

Today hasn't been so bad in the wider scheme of things.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern really. Just unpredictable waves of all the symptoms I described above coming & going. Can get a few days feeling a bit better, then a massive wave of symptoms that could last a couple of days or two weeks, then time feeling a bit better, then more symptoms & so it goes....

Sometimes I can feel a wave of feeling physically uncomfortable, that might only last for an hour, then pass. It's usually headaches, pains in the legs & feeling generally unwell.

It's totally random and has been like this pretty much since I started to taper. 

I do notice that stress brings the physical symptoms on & they in turn trigger all the mental & emotional difficulties, which in turn worsen the physical stuff. They seem to self perpetuate, and one can trigger & intensify the other.

I know it's different for everyone, but I really hope that things are going to improve soon, so that I can get some sort of balance back into my life.

x

Edited by MindDrift

• 4 weeks later...

@hayduke

@ChessieCat

@Altostrata

@manymoretodays

Hey!

Having real trouble eating & sleeping the last few days, and got some really bad anxiety.

Had similar periods/ symptoms when doing first my Olanzapine taper & then my Citalopram taper before having to reinstate.

Feel in a really bad wave of withdrawal yesterday & today, had a three day headache too. I think it's compounded by the lack of sleep & not really eating too much.

Last few days it all seems to be mostly physical symptoms, but also some emotional fragility. Not got any of the really fierce anger, rage & resentment I've had before so that's something.

Been on 2.5mg for the last six weeks, and I'm wondering, that based on the fact that I was getting waves of symptoms every time I increased, If I'm on too high a dose? Could this be kindling, or is it just my CNS resetting? Should I stay where I am or lower the dose maybe?

Please, someone give me some guidance on all of this! 

Thanks in advance!

x

• Administrator

How are you preparing 2.5mg? Have you skipped any doses or taken it off-schedule?

@Altostrata

Thanks Alto!

Taking same dose every morning at 8am. 

Not missed any doses since I reinstated. 

Preparing dose by dissolving 20mg tablet in 20ml water then administering 2.5ml dose every day in oral syringe. 

Making new batch of liquid every week. 

Thanks!

• Administrator

You might want to keep your liquid for perhaps 4-5 days. It's possible it's degrading over a week.