MindDrift: olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal, then Citalopram withdrawal

MindDrift

Hi everyone.

Thanks for this wonderful site, it's helped me loads already.

I'm a recovering alcoholic/drug addict, been clean & sober in a 12 step recovery fellowship since 2007. Was prescribed Citalopram 20mg & Olanzapine 2.5 for depression and have been taking it for for nearly 13 years. I've only just started to feel ready to think about coming off.

Halved the Olanzapine to 1.25 & held for 4 weeks. Pills too small to cut any further so started alternating every other day but read this is not a good idea. Decided to jump off at 1.25 and took my last dose on 6.6.20 (4 days ago.)

Had some withdrawal symptoms starting a couple of days ago: slight agitation, disturbed sleep, reduced appetite, mild stomach pains, slight increase in anxiety but on the whole I'm ok. Just ordered magnesium, omega 3 & vitamin E to help with the withdrawal, as per one of the threads I read on here.

I'm aware that there may be waves of withdrawal, potentially after weeks/ months so am prepared for this (or as prepared as I can be)

I'm committed to doing this & hope I won't have to start taking it again, but also accept if it gets really bad then I might have to.

Anybody got any guidance for me with this?

Any info/ support gratefully accepted. x

Edited by manymoretodays
added Citalopram WD to main title

Olanzapine 2.5mg 2007 - 8.5.2020. 1.25mg held for 4 weeks then stopped.

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, MindDrift.

You did a very fast taper of the Olanzapine, which accounts for the withdrawal symptoms you're having.  It's very good that you're on the whole okay, and I hope that continues.  Withdrawal symptoms gradually fade in time, but unfortunately we can't predict how much time it will take.

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

It's good you got the magnesium and omegas.  Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you experience problems.

In case symptoms worsen, I want you to be aware of the option of reinstatement.  Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.   We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose, so it would be less than 1.25mg.  These drugs are strong, your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you need to reinstate, please let us know and we will suggest a dosage as well as how to get the small nonstandard dosage of Olanzapine you would need.  Please do not reinstate without letting us suggest a dosage.  But let's hope that your symptoms remain tolerable.

I don't know what your plans are regarding the Citalopram, but I wouldn't make any changes there for quite a while until things have settled down from the Olanzapine.  If, after you are stable, you want to taper the Citalopram, we can help you with that.    We recommend tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  But, if you decide you want to go off the Citalopram, that's for the future.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley.

Thanks, so much, for your reply, the welcome & all the info you have posted, this is really helpful.

Feeling a bit better today, stomach pains have started to subside, had slightly better sleep last night and just feeling physically a bit better all round. I'm aware that there may be additional waves of symptoms so keeping this in mind and taking things one day at a time.

I figured that I'd try to stabilise to being Olanzapine free for 2-3 months before even thinking about a Citalopram taper. What do you think: Good time frame?

Waiting for my supplements to arrive (magnesium, omega 3 & vitamin E), they should be here tomorrow. How would you suggets I proceed with them in terms of which ones to start using first, second & third, how long on each before starting another & what doses I should start at?

Thanks again. x

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - December 2020. Tapered down from 20mg daily, to 1.25, by halving the dose, holding for 3/4 weeks after each reduction, then jumping off in March 2021.

23/6/ 2021 Reinstated Citalopram, 0.5mg, held for a week then increased to 1mg. Held for four weeks then increased to 1.5mg. Held for two weeks then increased to 2mg. held for two weeks then increased to 2.5mg. been on 2.5mg since 24/8/21

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, MindDrift said:

r 2-3 months before even thinking about a Citalopram taper.

We always says listen to your body rather than a schedule.  Let's see how you feel at that point.

3 hours ago, MindDrift said:

How would you suggets I proceed with them in terms of which ones to start using first, second & third, how long on each before starting another & what doses I should start at?

You could start with the omega at around half what they recommend and see how you feel.  If you're doing fine on it after 3 days, you could introduce the E, again at a low dose and wait three days.  If all is well, begin the magnesium, at half what they recommend.  After 3 days you could start taking a higher dose of omega, etc.  Be careful with the magnesium because it can have a laxative effect, so go up slowly on it.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley.

Just thougt I'd update to where I'm at with it now:

So, had my last dose of Olanzapine seven days ago and as I already mentioned, have experienced some withdrawal symptoms. They haven't been too bad really, well not compared to some of the many drink & drug (mostly herion & synthetic opiate) withdrawals I've done prior to 2007. It's been mostly physical symptoms I've been struggling with really, mentally/emotionally I've been mostly ok, though still getting some increased anxiety. The first couple of days were the worst where I experienced the effects I already described in my intro post, but the discomfort has started to subside. It has been a case of the "waves & windows" syndrome, where I have been experiencing waves of withdrawal symptoms & windows of feeling better. As I'm progressing, the waves are getting less potent & less frequent & the windows of feeling better are starting to last longer. Had a couple of times where it's felt like the symptoms have completely stopped & that the withdrawal is over & done with, only to have more waves of symptoms a few hours later. During these times I'm just reminding myself that it's just another wave & that another window of feeling better will be along soon. Still getting symptoms, and had a day yesterday where I felt anxious and shivery for most day & had to have my heating on for a bit. Sleep is still a bit disturbed & keep waking up many times throughout the night, but getting 7 hrs a night maybe which is way more than I expected to be getting.

Eating healthily & regularly has helped, as has drinking plenty of water. Going out for walks in the fresh air has been another aid also, as has meditating for ten minutes every day. I believe that mental, emotional, physical & spiritual are all interlinked and when I work on one of these areas it helps me in the others areas too; this has been reaffirmed to me throughout this last week. On my second day into the withdrawal when I was struggling with the physical symptoms I was able to do be of service to & do something nice for someone else which for some reason, helped me to feel a bit better physically. Not sure how that works, but it does; well, it did for me in that situation anyway.

Got the supplements I posted about & started taking the Omega 3 yesterday with a view to starting the others in the coming days, hoping this is going to aid my mind/ body to reset & realign itself to functioning without the Olanzapine. Having a support network of people I know from my 12 step recovery groups has been an absolute blessing too & has helped me massively to be able to chat with them about what's going on.

I'm aware that there may be additional waves of symptoms, and have also read numerous experiences on here about delayed withdrawal etc that can happen, so I'm bearing that in mind. Taking things one day at a time, and practicing what I have learned on this forum seems to be a good way to proceed right now.

Thought I'd document all this here so I can track my progress, but also as it may be able to help someone else, in the way I've been helped, by all the wonderful experience being shared on this forum. x

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, MindDrift said:

Just thougt I'd update to where I'm at with it now:

Great report, MindDrift.  Sounds like you're doing very well and have a good understanding of the process.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

13 days off of Olanzapine now & making some good progress I think. Most of the physical symptoms have subsided but I'm still getting some hot & cold flashes & feel a bit shivery a lot of the time. Starting to sleep better, particularly the last 3 or 4 days. Though I've had moments where I'm aware that I'm clenching my jaw, which I think is probably anxiety. Had quite a bit of negative thinking coming back too. Starting to feel shades of the mania but not to a massive degree & not anything I've not been able to deal with. Getting some minor and intermittent feelings of depression/ emotional numbness too, where I'm not really feeling like I'm able to engage in/ experience the things I'm doing. This part of the process kind of reminds me a bit of when I came off of a 3 year period of using nicotene gum after I'd quit smoking about five years ago. It seemed like mentally everything went haywire for a bit, and I thought it was going to be like that forever, but after a while my mental/ emotional state just settled back down to the way it was before. I'm hoping this is going to be the same.

My mind is a bit sharper and I'm noticing things that I didn't really notice before. It feels like the Olanzapine had a slightly sedative effect on me that created a bit of a fog that took the edge off of everything. I think I really needed that breathing space to be able to address some of my underlying issues over the last 12 years or so.

I'm aware that my CNS is still in the process of resetting itself. I think I really need to remember that as I was on Olanzapine for 12 years and that the body & mind recovery might take a while.

I'm taking the supplements I mentioned in half of the stated doses till I'm stabilised on them, then I'll go onto the full doses; maybe this is helping with the physical & mental withdrawal symptoms. It's also been really helpful for me to get a "buddy" who has been through similar, understands what I m going through and who I can talk to on the phone about what's going on for me; daily if necessary. Support from the members of this forum has also been invaluable. Regular excercise, mostly walking, is something I'm benefiting from, as well as meditation every day. Eating healthily & regularly, plus drinking plenty of water.

During my struggles with this whole process I just have to remind myself of how much progress I've made already, and that things are definitely moving in the right direction. The fact is that the windows of feeling better are far greater than the waves of withdrawal are now, and the balance is improving all the time.

Long may the progress continue, one day at a time.

x

• Moderator Emeritus

If you do find that you need to reinstate please see Post #1 of this topic about how to get a smaller dose than you were taking when you stopped.  Please also read Post #1 of the Reinstatement topic (link previously provided).

tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks ChessieCat, will bear that in mind.

x

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, MindDrift said:

making some good progress

Sounds good, MindDrift.  As I said, you've got a good handle on this.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hi everyone.

Got a question about Citalopram tapering (though not going to be starting it for a good while.)

Even if it's tapered down to the smallest amount, over the longest period of time, will there still be withdrawal symptoms after jumping off?

Cheers,

x

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, MindDrift said:

will there still be withdrawal symptoms after jumping off?

There will likely be some but if you have tapered slowly and jumped off at a very low dose, they will be minimized.  There is still healing going on after zero as the mind adjusts to being drug-free  (neurotransmitters coming back on line and other changes) and this will mean some symptoms.

Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, is updating his post, "It doesn't end at zero," and it should be reposted soon to give you more information about this.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks Gridley.

Will there be withdrawal symptoms throughout the taper?

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, MindDrift said:

Will there be withdrawal symptoms throughout the taper?

Generally, there will be some withdrawal symptoms that come with each decrease in dose in the taper. These symptoms will diminish as your system becomes accustomed to the lower dose.  Even a slow taper is not going to be symptom free.  But if you go slowly enough, this symptoms will be tolerable.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting off the olanzapine. I'm reducing olanzapine as well. Down to 1.8mg from 5 in January. Hasn't been as bad as I thought coming down although have had some depression, insommnia and nausea. You seem to have come off it with relative ease which encouraging to see.

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Stabilised for 9 months @2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May2021 started slow taper from olanzapine, 5% previous dose per month. Oct 2021 1.875mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Hi BadMedicine.

Thanks for your message.

That's great news about your reductions, well done!

It's not all been plain sailing for me though. Had quite a lot of physical withdrawal symptoms as I've documented, but not as severe, up till now, as some others who have done the same. Some of my mental health stuff has been more noticeable since I came off too but, up till today, I've been able to deal with it thankfully. I've just been trying to do all the things that have been suggested on this forum which has been invaluable.

Good luck!

x

Great work @MindDrift! If you keep up the hard work and that attitude you will probably be fine no matter what. Please let us know if you have any problems come up.

I actually had a question about your discontinuation of the nicotine gum. Do you remember how long you felt discombobulated after getting off that stuff? Just interested in withdrawal syndromes from nicotine. I kind of suspected they had to exist. Any recall of other symptoms and how long they lasted? 

Also, I'm not sure whether you have seen this article, but one of the problems that may result from rapid antipsychotic discontinuation is Dopamine Supersensitivity Psychosis. Here is a link to the article posted on this site: 

It's also available elsewhere on the internet for free. Good reason to believe many persistent post-withdrawal disorder symptoms may be attributable to this.

Congrats on being down to one med :)

Edited by DataGuy

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

Hi DataGuy.

Thanks for your message, and for the links, good to hear from you!

I quit smoking about eight years ago, by using nicotene replacement gum. Thought it was only going to be for a three month period but ended up being three years before I could get off of it. I can't remember too much about it actually but do remember tapering down, over a few week period, from a couple of strips of max strength gum per day to a couple of pieces of the lower strength each day.

When I felt I was at a relatively stable(or as stable as it gets for me) period in my life I decided to jump off & stop using it. I do remember when cutting down, as well as stopping altogether, that my sleep pattern was interupted as I was waking up much earlier than usual & not able to sleep as much. Think, if my memory serves me right, that my appetite was affected a bit, in terms of not wanting to eat at meal times. I vaguely remember feeling  bodily "different" and a bit weird in general. I also remember having some mild stomach problems but nothing major: That was the physical side.

Now, the mental side was much more difficult to deal with & made me realise what a powerful drug nicotene is. Negative thinking & resentment are things I've always struggled with and this dramatically increased when I was tapering but mostly when I stopped altogether. Felt a bit like everything was much brighter, more real and intense, and gave me some insight into the way that the nicotene had numbed my emotions and acted as an emotional/ mental/ spiritual blocker. Some of my mental health stuff, particularly OCD and social anxiety, became a bit more unmanagable, and shades of the mania started to come back, but not to a massive degree. There were also times where I was a bit ratty, irritable and intolerant with people (well, more than usual anyway!) Can't remember the exact time frame but think this all carried on for 2-3 months, maybe longer, but was more intense when I initially stopped and got less as time went on. At the time, it felt like all my mental health stuff just went haywire for a bit, and I thought it was going to be that way forever, but as time passed, things settled back down to the way they had been before.

Looking back, I'm so glad I did it, but had to be in the right place to even consider coming off. My involvement with 12 step fellowship has made me realise that even though I'm not drinking/ using/ self medicating, I'm still an addict in recovery and can quite easily get addicted to things, and nicotene relplacement was one of them. There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel for anyone that's going through something similar though, and I'm living proof of that. As with a lot of the things I've been addicted to over the years (and there's been lots) I always thought at the time that I'd be addicted forever, but my experience has shown me that with the right motivation, plus good medical, moral, mental, emotional (and spiritual in my case) support, that the seemingly impossible can be overcome. x

Was trying to edit the above post but there's no option to do this now. Am I right in thinking that there is a time limit put on post editing?

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, MindDrift said:

Hi, does anyone know how I edit a post please?

There is a time limit on members' editing a post, I'm not sure how long but not long.  If you click on "edit" and can't make a change, you're past the time limit.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hi Gridley, thanks!

Yeah, thought this may have been the case.

x

23 hours ago, MindDrift said:

Hi DataGuy.

Thanks for your message, and for the links, good to hear from you!

I quit smoking about eight years ago, by using nicotene replacement gum. Thought it was only going to be for a three month period but ended up being three years before I could get off of it. I can't remember too much about it actually but do remember tapering down, over a few week period, from a couple of strips of max strength gum per day to a couple of pieces of the lower strength each day.

Thanks so much for the detailed summary, @MindDrift! Hopefully we can make the Citalopram withdrawal a bit easier. 

Here is a summary of the neurotransmitters involved in nicotine withdrawal. Seems all of the most well-known NTs are involved, so you can see why it might be difficult to adapt back to normal. I'm glad you have so much support and are becoming so self-empowered, which is important in developing the skills and knowledge necessary to cope in withdrawal. Hope you are still doing fairly well.

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

Hi everyone.

As it's been a couple of weeks since my last update I thought iI'd drop by to document where I'm at with my Olanzapine withdrawals:

I jumped off on 7th June, so nearly a month ago and am feeling much better. Not really feeling any physical symtoms now apart from feeling a little hot & cold/ shivery sometimes.This has been improving steadily for the last 7-10 days up to where I'm at with it now. Appetite & sleep pattern have pretty much returned to what they were before. Though physical symptoms are not really noticeable right now some of my mental health issues have been a bit more prevalant. My OCD has been a bit more intense but not too unmanaegable up till now. I've always struggled with negative thinking & that's been a bit of an issue as has unnecessarily worrying about all manner of things that aren't really that important, well, not in the wider scheme of things anyway.

After increasing slowly with the supplements, I'm taking the stated doses of magnesium, omega 3 & vitamin e which I'd have thought are having some effect on how I'm feeling.

Though there have been some negatives to ceasing this particular medication, there have also been some great positives. I'm feeling much more alert, present and am able to experience the good things in life a bit more than I was before. The Olanzapine had a bit of a sedative effect on me which seemed to put me in a bit of a fog which has seemed to have cleared somewhat. For some strange reason ,and I thought, if anything, it would get worse, my social anxiety has actually improved. My confidence has started to come back a bit which I didn't really expect to happen through this process. Not sure if these last couple of things will continue or if it's just the "honeymoon" period and relief of getting off of Olanzapine. I'm also aware that as the sun has started to shine a bit brighter in my world, that the storms may also be more difficult to navigate too; I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

By writing these updates, I'm not suggesting that anyone do what I did, or not do what I did, and I'm not, in any way, shape, or form, any sort of healthcare professional; this is just my experience of what I did & how it's working out for me.

Keep well forum friends. x

• ChessieCat changed the title to MindDrift: olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, MindDrift said:

the sun has started to shine a bit brighter in my world

I'm very happy you're doing so well, MindDrift.  Thanks for your update.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Still experiencing some symptoms but the one I'm most concerned about is weight loss due to suppressed appetite. I could be wrong but think this is partly because of stress & anxiety. I'm actually having to force myself to eat, and even then, not being able to eat the same amounts I was when on Olanzapine. My weight has been healthy & stable for a few years now by eating the same amount each day & also doing the same amount of excercise, which is only a bit of walking each week. I've lost half a stone since I came off Olanzapine, which was on June 6th. I'm a bit lighter than I would like atm, which isn't a huge probelm, but If it carries on like this I'm going to end up being unhealthily underweight.

Anybody got any experience to share or guidance for me with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

x

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Minddrift

This journey can be such a rollercoaster, not surprising it affects our appetite.

Many folks here mention appetite issues.

I sometimes struggle to eat myself.

What I do is :

- selfcare : relaxation, méditation,..

- buy my favourite food ( i'm always ready for houmous 😄)

- make smoothies with healthy food (sometimes find it easier to drink rather than to eat)

As everything else, this issue is often temporary.

You said that it may be related to your anxiety,  and it's often the case.

It will get better ☺

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Erell.

Thanks for your message, bless you!

I need to tread carefully with this particular part of the symptoms as I've had some food/ weight/ body image issues over the years. I was five stone overweight about 12 years ago & over a couple of years lost the excess weight at a really well known weight loss organisation. Kept going there & kept the weight off but unfortunately developed an eating disorder which I addressed at a 12 step fellowship just over a year ago. Not actually sure if that was the reason I developed an eating disorder, it may have happened anyway.

Though most of the physical symptoms have subsided over the last five weeks, I still have some real struggles with worry, anxiety and some of my existing mental health issues, particularly OCD, which has been very problematic since coming off Olanzapine. Seems like the worry & anxiety are usually triggered by stressful situations, some of which I've encountered over the last week or so.

I've been meditating almost every day for 12 years or so, and have continued with this practice since coming off off this medication. Not finding my quiet time easy to tune in to but making the effort every day anyway.

You're definitely right about favouritre foods, not done this for ages, but just ordered chinese takeaway which was delicious!

Thanks for reminding me that this is only temporary, I sometimes forget that.

Warmest wishes to you my friend. x

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, MindDrift said:

You're definitely right about favouritre foods, not done this for ages, but just ordered chinese takeaway which was delicious!

Yes, focusing on what give us pleasure make it easier :)

And maybe, some days, you won't be able to eat much : and that's ok, don't beat yourself up. One day at a time :)

Take care ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

9 minutes ago, Erell said:

Yes, focusing on what give us pleasure make it easier :)

And maybe, some days, you won't be able to eat much : and that's ok, don't beat yourself up. One day at a time :)

Take care ☀️

18 hours ago, MindDrift said:

Hi Erell.

Thanks for your message, bless you!

I need to tread carefully with this particular part of the symptoms as I've had some food/ weight/ body image issues over the years. I was five stone overweight about 12 years ago & over a couple of years lost the excess weight at a really well known weight loss organisation. Kept going there & kept the weight off but unfortunately developed an eating disorder which I addressed at a 12 step fellowship just over a year ago. Not actually sure if that was the reason I developed an eating disorder, it may have happened anyway.

Though most of the physical symptoms have subsided over the last five weeks, I still have some real struggles with worry, anxiety and some of my existing mental health issues, particularly OCD, which has been very problematic since coming off Olanzapine. Seems like the worry & anxiety are usually triggered by stressful situations, some of which I've encountered over the last week or so.

I've been meditating almost every day for 12 years or so, and have continued with this practice since coming off off this medication. Not finding my quiet time easy to tune in to but making the effort every day anyway.

Thanks for reminding me that this is only temporary, I sometimes forget that.

Warmest wishes to you my friend. x

Thanks Erell.

Oops, just accidentally reposted yesterday's post. I'l still learning the functionality of the site!

Yep, one day at a time always a good suggestion.

Wishing you well today.

x

21 hours ago, MindDrift said:

Hi everyone.

Still experiencing some symptoms but the one I'm most concerned about is weight loss due to suppressed appetite. I could be wrong but think this is partly because of stress & anxiety. I'm actually having to force myself to eat, and even then, not being able to eat the same amounts I was when on Olanzapine. My weight has been healthy & stable for a few years now by eating the same amount each day & also doing the same amount of excercise, which is only a bit of walking each week. I've lost half a stone since I came off Olanzapine, which was on June 6th. I'm a bit lighter than I would like atm, which isn't a huge probelm, but If it carries on like this I'm going to end up being unhealthily underweight.

Anybody got any experience to share or guidance for me with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

x

Hi @MindDrift,

I think Errell's suggestions are good ones. I discontinued Olanzapine as well, but I did a much more rapid taper. After I got off my stomach basically didn't work and I lost 30lbs in 3 months, after which my weight stabilized and I started slowly gaining weight. There is plenty you can do to help keep the weight on, including Errel's suggestions, or eating high fat foods like peanut butter, avocados, cheese etc. 

Exercise can also help stimulate your appetite, so if you go for a short or medium length walk before meals, you might find you can eat more. Exercise also helps reduce anxiety and stress.

My guess is you are suffering from a bit of dopamine supersensitivity (upregulation of dopamine receptors, which is a leftover from the body's fight against the dopamine blocking properties of olanzapine) as well as as few other receptor changes due to the relatively rapid discontinuation. These will take awhile to get back to normal. In the meantime, you will probably have a bit of heightened anxiety and sensitivity to stress, lack of appetite etc. The paper I linked above has the criteria for diagnosis of "dopamine supersensitivity psychosis", which you may experience mild manifestations of. I will link it again down here if you are interested, since that was awhile ago. These receptor changes and the symptoms associated with them should slowly fade as you get further away from your jump date. In the interim, be kind to yourself!

Edited by DataGuy

Domperidone - 2008-2018

4 minutes ago, DataGuy said:

you will probably have a bit of heightened anxiety and sensitivity to stress, lack of appetite etc.

Thanks Dataguy. Yep, that's exactly how it is for me right now. Any idea on the timeframe of when this is going to pass?

x

4 minutes ago, DataGuy said:

3 minutes ago, MindDrift said:

Thanks Dataguy. Yep, that's exactly how it is for me right now. Any idea on the timeframe of when this is going to pass?

x

Everyone is different, so hard to put a time frame on it, but you should start to improve in a few weeks or months at worst. Keep in mind I discontinued a benzo around the same time, so I doubt you would experience anything like I experienced. Improvement will be gradual, so can be hard to notice at times. It can be good to keep a symptom journal for that reason. As long as you practice good self-care and get plenty of exercise and sleep, your body will do its thing eventually and return to homeostasis. 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

10 hours ago, MindDrift said:

It's been just over three months since I came off of Olanzapine and I'm 95% back to normal now. (Well, as normal as it gets for me anyway! : ) I know that it's different for everyone, but even in my hours of trial & struggle, reaching out to & trying to help others, has always really helped me. Well, as long as it's done healthily, which is something I've (hopefully) learned through the 12 step recovery program, it's always been a help, rather than a hidrance.

It is suggested that you look after yourself and keep stress to a minimum for a very long time.  Please read the relevant sub topics in this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

1.     Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going to Take?    Scroll down to below index

2.     How Long, the Bottom Line

12.   It Doesn’t end at “0”

13.   Things to do Along the Way

14.   So, When Will We Get There?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Chessiecat!

Just read what you posted, very informative. Will take this all on board in moving forward.

I'm still on 20mg Citalopram & thinking about the possibility of starting to taper: When do you think it would be wise to start this?

x