MindDrift

MindDrift: olanzapine / Zyprexa withdrawal

MindDrift

Citalopram taper

Hi everyome.

Hoping this message finds you all well today.

Jumped off of Olanzapine, after quite a quick taper, just over three months ago & am 95% back to normal existence now.

Still on 20mg daily of Citalopram and I'm starting to think about addressing the issue of coming off with an appropriate taper.

Might now be a good time to start my Citalopram taper? Would be intererested to hear some experience & get some feedback & guidance on this please.

Thanks in advance.

x

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Citalopram 20mg 2007 - present

Olanzapine 2.5mg 2007 - 8.5.2020. 1.25mg held for 4 weeks then stopped.

ChessieCat

Because of your fast taper off olanzapine it might be a good idea to hold for at least 6 months (from 8 May 2020) before thinking about starting to taper citalopram.  It's better to hold for longer and start from a nice firm foundation than to risk tapering too soon. 

And when you do start to taper my suggestion would be to do a test reduction of a small amount (no more than 2.5% reduction) to see how you respond.  This way, if it happens that your brain hasn't fully recovered from the olanzapine taper then any withdrawal symptoms will hopefully be minor and you could then hold for longer.  If after reducing you only experience minimal withdrawal symptoms, or none at all, then after 2 weeks you could try reducing by a larger amount.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Edited by ChessieCat

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

BadMedicine

Congratulations on getting off olanzapine. That is quite a feat. I am still trying but hopefully will get there in the end. Had to slow my taper and updose slightly as symptoms weren’t improving and were getting unbearable. 
I wish you good luck with your Citalopram taper when you start. In the meantime enjoy being olanzapine free! 

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

MindDrift
On 9/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, BadMedicine said:

Congratulations on getting off olanzapine. That is quite a feat. I am still trying but hopefully will get there in the end. Had to slow my taper and updose slightly as symptoms weren’t improving and were getting unbearable. 
I wish you good luck with your Citalopram taper when you start. In the meantime enjoy being olanzapine free! 

MindDrift

Thanks BadMedicine!

It was definitely a process, and not that easy in places.

Three & a half months down the line & physically I'm mostly ok now. Mentally & emotionally still having to relearn how to do some things. Maybe it's my CNS still resetting itself?

It's been suggested on here that I wait for a bit before attempting the Citalopram taper, so that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks for you messages of support, it's much appreciated my friend.

Good luck with your taper!

x