SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Puglet: amitriptyline withdrawal

Puglet

Can people please share with me how there journey was when discontinued amitriptyline ? 

I am currently 11 months of & feeling so ill & desperate right now ... the symptoms did ease but this las 4 weeks have been horrendous .... please is there still hope it will all go away .... I want my life back I was put on this drug for nerve pain .

i

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

March 2019 cut 50mg to 25mg 

April cut to 16& half mg —— started to feel very fatigued / dizzy / nauseous 

may - 10 mg 

Im still experiencing severe withdrawals 

chronic fatigue / dizziness / tinnitus / joint pain / crying spells / low mood / nausea /

head & neck tightening pain .

• ChessieCat changed the title to Puglet: Amitriptyline withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Puglet.

A wave (bad spell) is very common at the 10-to-12 month point.  Recovery is not linear--there are going to be ups and downs (windows and waves).

But you will heal.  It's just going to take some time.  

So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and healing.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

If anxiety is one of your symptoms, I found this restorative yoga pose to be helpful with withdrawal anxiety.

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you fond your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much for your reply ... I feel so very desperate right now .

I thought I’d Turned a corner as I had a run of about 8weeks of feeling relatively well but then 4 weeks ago it’s like I’ve been hit by a truck & feel so ill & it’s starting to make me feel so sad .

i will read the information you’ve provided & thank you so much .... I just find it so frustrating when doctors fail to see this as problem & try to diagnose something else .

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

chronic fatigue / dizziness / tinnitus / joint pain / crying spells / low mood / nausea /

• 3 weeks later...

Protracted withdrawal

12 months off amitriptyline .... the symptoms right now feel so bad & im struggling to have hope that I’m going to heal ... can anybody share any info on protracted withdrawals ... I was doing so well but the last 7 weeks have been so debilitating with lots of symptoms 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

We ask all members to create a drug signature so that the moderators can see your history at a glance.  Please create your drug signature.  Please include any other drugs you have previously or are currently taking.  Instructions for what is needed:  please-summarize-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

This link goes to your signature.  Remember to Save after creating/editing it.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Thank you.

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.  The site has been extremely busy since the beginning of this year and support from the moderators is currently very limited.  Somebody will assist you as they are able to.

We encourage members to connect with other members so they can support each other.  Please understand that a member's introduction topic is about them and their topic is a record of their journey so please limit talking about your own issues.  They can always check your introduction topic to find out more about you.  If you make a connection with another member and you wish to support each other, this could be done via PM, or you could start a topic in the Off Topic Forum which would allow other members to join in.

Also:

i-started-a-private-facebook-group-for-sa-members-only  (please note:  this group is NOT affiliated with SA)

would-you-be-open-to-being-my-phone-friend

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Protracted withdrawal

12 months since I discontinued June 2019amitriptyline ... I was so poorly for the first 5 months so I then reinstated on 25 mg  November 2019 that then just heightened the withdrawals I discontinued again after 2 weeks .

In March 2020 I started to feel

quite well & had 8 weeks of doing so well .

Then literally like a flick of a switch I’ve been so ill again with most awful

symptoms .... is this normal after 12 months off & having a run of feeling well

for  8 weeks ?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

• Administrator

Hello, puglet. Was your last dosage of amitriptyline 10mg, then you went off? Did you consider reinstatement at that time?

Even at this remove, often reinstating a tiny amount, such as 1mg, can help. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic has instructions for taking a small amount Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

If it helps, you'd stay on a small amount for some time, then go off by miniscule amounts later. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:05 PM, Puglet said:

Protracted withdrawal

12 months off amitriptyline .... the symptoms right now feel so bad & im struggling to have hope that I’m going to heal ... can anybody share any info on protracted withdrawals ... I was doing so well but the last 7 weeks have been so debilitating with lots of symptoms 

I did resinstate after suffering 5 months off however it just heightened the withdrawals so after 2 weeks I CT 

this is horrendous & literally so frightend I won’t ever be well again . 

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Puglet said:

can anybody share any info on protracted withdrawals .

In our experience, the vast majority, if not all, of the people who suffer from protracted withdrawal do heal.  Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how long it will take.  Here is a link on protracted withdrawal (PAWS).

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

For more links Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org PAWS"

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you 😓

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

• 3 months later...

Omega 3 fish oil

Currently 15 months off amitriptyline 

still suffering withdrawals .... started taking omega 3 about 12 weeks ago 

not noticed any change in the way I feel .

just wondering if people take this to help with withdrawals I’m questioning if I’m doing the right thing ... I did hope it would help with healing the brain but I’m still experiencing awful symptoms . 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Puglet: amitriptyline withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

The only supplements which SA recommends are magnesium and omega 3 fish oil.  Please see these topics especially Posts #1 in both topics which give a lot of information:

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

19 months off amitriptyline & still experiencing horrendous waves the joint & muscle pain the head pressure the nausea the crying spells ... please tell me it does get easier I was told 18 months things would be better well that’s not the case for I’m so frightened I will mere recover from what this horrid drug as done to me . 

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg 

Yes it will get better. I don't think there's such a thing as putting a time-frame on recovery as its a very individual process.

You're at the 19th month mark and that alone is something you should be very proud of. 

Keep going just take each day at a time. Keep focused on how good it's going to be to write your success story. Visualize it. Write it down. 

If you read other people's stories you'll almost always find a point where we all feel we can't get there we panic and wonder if life will ever be "normal".  

You're not alone and you WILL make it.

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

Thank you so much I really long to have my life back 

10 mg amitriptyline 2011

25mg amitriptyline 2011

50mg amitriptyline 2011

may - 10 mg