☼ ladybugqt -- Lexapro: Will I ever feel normal again?

ladybugqt

Dr put me on 10mg of lexapro almost a yr ago... For almost a yr i had muscle weakness, pain, & my voice was slow n slurred like a drunk. I thought i haad a stroke - until i put 2 n 2 together! Well, its been 3 weeks weaning off of it n ive never felt so out of control!Horrible night last night! Sick ALL night & no sleep ~ bad enough to make me doubt my decision to stop the lexapro! ~ BUT... I went down to 2 mg a day! YAY! One more step left- It may take a lil bit even when i'm done to get it outta my system, but at least I have hope now! NIGHT SWEATS N COLD CHILLS, SOBBING HYSTERICS, CONSTIPATION N VOMITING, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, MORE MIGRAINES, ETC. WHEN DOES IT STOP? I am slowly getting my voice back! The vomiting & suicidal thoughts have stopped! I am, however, having a hard time being around many ppl! I dont know if im selfconscience b/c my speech isnt normal yet or what, but i just DO NOT LIKE GOING IN PUBLIC. I am ussually very outgoing so i dont know where thts coming from! Isnt there a vitamin tht will ease this up? Still an emotional wreck but the vomiting stopped!Soon as this is done im gonna quit smoking too - i've decided i don't like being dependant on ANYTHING! :o

:P LADYBUGQT :unsure:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ladybugqt

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Dr put me on 10mg of lexapro almost a yr ago... For almost a yr i had muscle weakness, pain, & my voice was slow n slurred like a drunk. I thought i haad a stroke - until i put 2 n 2 together! Well, its been 3 weeks weaning off of it n ive never felt so out of control!Horrible night last night! Sick ALL night & no sleep ~ bad enough to make me doubt my decision to stop the lexapro! ~ BUT... I went down to 2 mg a day! YAY! One more step left- It may take a lil bit even when i'm done to get it outta my system, but at least I have hope now! NIGHT SWEATS N COLD CHILLS, SOBBING HYSTERICS, CONSTIPATION N VOMITING, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, MORE MIGRAINES, ETC. WHEN DOES IT STOP? I am slowly getting my voice back! The vomiting & suicidal thoughts have stopped! I am, however, having a hard time being around many ppl! I dont know if im selfconscience b/c my speech isnt normal yet or what, but i just DO NOT LIKE GOING IN PUBLIC. I am ussually very outgoing so i dont know where thts coming from! Isnt there a vitamin tht will ease this up? Still an emotional wreck but the vomiting stopped!Soon as this is done im gonna quit smoking too - i've decided i don't like being dependant on ANYTHING! :o

Hi Ladybug, you are having withdrawal from Lexapro. This is serious and needs attention. You can't go off antidepressants the way you have without making yourself very ill. Tapering off ADs is not like quitting smoking, you can't just stop. You can get your symptoms in hand, but will need to up dose on the Lexapro so the symptoms you are having do not last for months. Supplements do not help with withdrawal.

You are in a good place, with good people .. you will get more comprehensive info SOON!

Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Three weeks is way too fast a taper. 10 mg. of Lexapro doesn't sound like much, but Lexapro is a much stronger antidepressant than most. My doctor switched me from 50 mg. of Pristiq to 10 mg. of Lexapro and there were no withdrawal effects at all, so I assume those two doses are equivalent. I was on Lexapro for ten months, following five months on Pristiq and Remeron. I tapered off over four months and went through hell in withdrawal. I took the last crumb of Lexapro last December 14th, and I'm still not quite back to normal, so even that length of time wasn't long enough.

There's a lot of good information under the topics "Tapering" and "Symptoms and what helps", and someone with more knowledge than I have should be along soon to give more specific advice. SSRI antidepressants make physical changes in the brain's structure and it takes time for those changes to reverse. That's why a very slow taper is best. There are no vitamins or supplements that will speed up the process. Getting the drug out of your system as fast as possible will only make withdrawal symptoms worse.

I had horrid insomnia at first, and the two things that helped me the most were darkening the bedroom as much as possible and wearing a sleep mask. Once I was able to sleep, everything else began to improve.

Avoiding people seems to be one of a cluster of withdrawal stymptoms. Other common symptoms are hypersensitivity to light and noise, which may make going out quite uncomfortable.

Withdrawal is difficult under the best of circumstances, so I hope you'll be willing to back up and do it more slowly. Because of those changes in the brain, withdrawal can't be rushed, so you may as well be as comfortable as possible for the duration.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, ladybugqt.

Yes, you are tapering too quickly. Don't rush it, you only have one nervous system. Withdrawal symptoms indicate your nervous system is not happy with your rate of taper. Don't risk damaging it for a long time, slow down your taper.

First thing I would do is, go back up to 5mg Lexapro. Plan to stay at that level at least a couple of weeks.

Then, get liquid Lexapro to taper more slowly, see Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Think in terms of tapering by a fraction of a milligram at a time, to give your nervous system time to adjust to the change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi ladybug,

You are tapering way to fast. Do as alto says. Go to 5 and stay there Antilles you stablinze. The withdrawal will make u feel crazy. Literally crazy.

I am 5 months off lexapro. I know what you are feeling.

Feel free to pm me.

Good luck.

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

Ladybugqt....Hi and welcome

It took me two years to taper from 40mgs. Lexapro. I had a tremendous sensitivity to the taper. All of the symptoms you have and then some.

It's good that you were only on 10mgs. Please go back up in dose using the liquid Lexapro and then stay there until your symptoms subside for a decent amount of time. These drugs can cause long term problems if we taper too fast and too much. Our brain chemistry has been affected by this stuff.

Drop less than 1/2mg. at a time with rests in between the drops in dose. I am currently tapering Celexa and only dropping by 1/5mL and doing well. I remember the taper from Lexapro and do not wish to return to that state again.

Again....thank goodness you were only at 10mgs.

Best Regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I am terrified if I go back up to 5mg all the reasons I want off of it will get worse again! I feel like I have already missed out on a yr of my life. Everything is on hold! My hubby & I couldnt have kids (im 36 yrs old) & want to be foster parents. I am hardly in the shape to do tht right now! PLEASE TELL ME IM GONNA BE NORMAL AGAIN!

• Administrator

You'll be okay. If you go up to 5mg, the bad withdrawal symptoms probably will stop. Then you can taper from there.

At a lower dose, the adverse effects you had for so long probably will be less, or non-existent.

You will be able to go off Lexapro, but you can't be in a rush. You need to listen to your body. Right now, it's saying you went off too fast.

You have a chance for a "do over" if you increase to 5mg right away, stabilize, then taper properly according to what your nervous system needs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

QUESTION: What is half life? I've been cutting them down with scizzors - does that compromise the dosage?

Ladybugqt,

Love your name. :)

You will be fine. The time will go fast and you'll be much stronger than you feel right now.

You have a wonderful life to look forward to with a foster child!

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I am terrified if I go back up to 5mg all the reasons I want off of it will get worse again! I feel like I have already missed out on a yr of my life. Everything is on hold! My hubby & I couldnt have kids (im 36 yrs old) & want to be foster parents. I am hardly in the shape to do tht right now! PLEASE TELL ME IM GONNA BE NORMAL AGAIN!

You will no doubt be normal again, but the faster you go getting off Lexapro the more time it is going to take to get back to normal. I realize that's paradoxical, but so are many of the great, immutable truths in life. All of us have had the nearly irresistible urge to get off the drugs as fast as possible, but the real, long-term problem is those structural changes in the brain which are going to take their own sweet time to resolve.

At this point, no one knows how to coax the brain to repair itself faster. The only way to get through this as painlessly as possible is to take your taper very slowly (rule of thumb: ten per cent dosage reduction, not proceeding with another reduction until feeling stablized for several weeks), be very gentle with yourself (as you would be with a good friend who is very sick - and please believe me, this is a sickness just as surely as suffering from exposure to an industrial toxin), and as patient with the whole process as you can manage. Nobody wants to be disabled, but that is exactly what we are after swallowing these poisons for months or years. Please keep in mind, too, that this sense of urgency is a withdrawal symptom.

What you are going through now is not permanent, but it will take longer than you want to come out of it. Please do as Alto says and taper gradually, and read up on "Symptoms and what helps".

Post whenever. We've all been where you are and want to help.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'll go back to 5mg tomarrow! THANK U ALL 4 UR PATIENCE & ENCOURAGEMENT! (& ty 4 ur words about having a long life w a foster child - made me cry ~ A GOOD KINDA CRY)

Also gona start Omega 3 after readig about it on this site! Gonna start with a really small dose & see how it does!

Hi ladybug

You are I'm the best place for support!

I did a fast taper too and had to go back on, now I'm just about stabilised - please do as alto advises!

You may want to try the liquid and oral syringe so you can be more precise with the measures

Thinking of you

Debbie x

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

I'll go back to 5mg tomarrow! THANK U ALL 4 UR PATIENCE & ENCOURAGEMENT! (& ty 4 ur words about having a long life w a foster child - made me cry ~ A GOOD KINDA CRY)

Good tears are good! Notsogood tears are also ok. Whatever emotions or feelings you have are ok. They do become stronger at this time - just something to be aware of and perhaps share with those close to you if you feel comfortable. These drugs mask/blunt our natural human emotions and reactions to life events, both good and bad. As those emotions come back online, they sometimes do so in spurts that feel or appear 'wacky'. I think it's good to be aware of this up front because people may suggest you *need* the drugs. This is simply not so.

Information on NEUROEMOTION: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/page__st__40__gopid__22907#entry22907

I hope you're feeling better today.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I had a very hard night last night! Anxiety, restless legs, & i was laying down but i felt like my body was racing... BUT...I FELT BETTER TODAY THAN I HAVE IN MONTHS! I did go up to 5mg - although i'm sure it's too soon to see a difference - Maybe it was in my head or maybe it's just that u guys gave me hope! I'm sure not everyday will be this good, but 1 day is better than nothing!I was even able to do a couple things i havent done in mnths. Either way, I am going to stay at 5mg for a few weeks like Alto said. I also put an index card in my purse with some of my "good qualities" on it as an article on here said to! I will get better, im sure, with patience! I LUV U GUYS!

• Administrator

We luv u 2, ladybug.

Yes, one day could make a difference if you've been tapering too fast.

Half-life indicates the amount of time the medication is in your bloodstream. The half-life means half of the medication has been metabolized by that time.

Great to hear, Lbqt!

ok, confused w the label thing!

FISH OIL 1200 MG

provides 360mg of omega 3 fatty acids, comprising of EPA & DHA

contains fish (anchovy, mackerel, sardine) ingredients

purified to eliminate murcury

IS THIS GOOD?

• Administrator

If EPA + DHA = 360mg, it's a little weak.

See if you can find EPA + DHA = 600mg, you'll have to take fewer capsules.

"purified to eliminate mercury" is good, you're looking for fish oil that's purified or molecularly distilled.

See Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

• Moderator Emeritus

I had a very hard night last night! Anxiety, restless legs, & i was laying down but i felt like my body was racing...

If restless legs continue to bother you, you might want to try a low dose of magnesium taken between dinner and bedtime. Do keep the initial dose very low until you're sure of what your body can handle. Too much magnesium causes diarrhea. The lowest dose I've been able to find comes as magnesium glyconate, 133 mg., and one of those is all I can take.

There's a topic on magnesium with lots of useful information here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Good to hear that you're feeling better! :)

I believe the Fish Oil may be activating, also. I try to take that and B vitamins early in day. Restless legs are common withdrawal symptom and, as Jemima suggested, magnesium is wonderful mineral, in moderation - will 'activate' bowels - including Epsom Salt bath.

• 2 weeks later...
How do I know when i'm ready to step down my dose again? I went back to 5mg on may 25th! Wht do i go down to?

• Administrator

How do you feel now?

Can you get Lexapro liquid?

I am definitely getting stronger... Alot ofthe withdrawal is gone. I still haaave my crying spurts, but tht could be stress - been under aaaalot lately! Insomnia is still here. The chills, night sweats, constipaation, n suicidal thought have - mostly - subsided though! YAY! Cant get the liquid lexapro!

• Administrator

Very good news, ladyb.

Suggest you hold for now until your sleep improves. If you reduce now, it will get worse.

Why can't you get liquid Lexapro? Are you taking 5mg tablets?

See Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

• Administrator

Using the Lexapro liquid would be best for you to taper from here.

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS! Doctors appointment went good! Said i'm on track with the way i'm going off of the lexapro & I will get back to normal, just need to take it slow and avoid stress! (yeah right - avoid stress? thats just life in general ~ lol) Even my normally high BP was only 109/60 today! YAY. Checked my thyroid & may get an MRI (on my throat because of my voice going in n out) to make sure no damage was done. Said if i feel ready to 'step down' the dose alil! He said whoever was giving me advice on how to step down was right on track! Couldnt do this w/o u guys!!! Right now I feel like I am getting back control of my own life! I LOVE U GUYS!

Great news ladybug! Just take it S-L-O-W. You are doing great! :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

That's great news, Ladybugqt!

• Moderator Emeritus

GOOD NEWS! Doctors appointment went good! Said i'm on track with the way i'm going off of the lexapro & I will get back to normal, just need to take it slow and avoid stress!

WOW... very cool!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

We luv U, ladybug.

So your doctor knows about tapering? Do you think you can recommend him for our list http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/ ?

Did he prescribe liquid Lexapro for you?

I AM EXSTATIC ABOUT GETTING CONTROL BACK IN MY LIFE! Hopefully what i've been thru can help someone else! I have refered so many ppl to this site & even wrote the addy down in the dr office waiting room! Still having a tough time, but as long as I have hope - I know i can do it! Told my doc no more pills! Gonna fing a doc tht can teach me how to do it w vitamins & herbal supplements! When i do i'll be happy to share with u all the info he has shared w me!

• Administrator

Thanks so much.

Did your doctor seem to know how to taper? Would you recommend him?