☼ ladybugqt -- Lexapro: Will I ever feel normal again?

ladybugqt

I am just at a loss how? I know to start at 50mg zoloft, but do i keep tapering lexapro at the same time? Or does the zoloft take care of tht? SO CONFUSED & JUST DONT WANNA CRY ANYMORE! I meant no disrespect by my last post. Its just, well, u told me listen to my body - right? My body is saying u shouldnt feel like u need hard core detox from an anti depressant! I really think im on the road to a nervous breakdown here!

:P LADYBUGQT :unsure:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ladybugqt

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Are you taking 1mg Lexapro now?

I suggest not starting the Zoloft until we sort this out.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I havent started zoloft yet. Wouldnt it ease things up since i respond to zoloft so well? Id rather have low sex drive than a total breakdown!

• Moderator Emeritus

ladybugqt, i read over your thread and i am a little confused. Have you felt unwell on lexapro the WHOLE time you were on it or just when you started reducing? If you responded well to Zoloft, why did you go onto lexapro?

It seems from reading that you were having significant withdrawal symptoms at 5mg - you may need to go back up to at least that dose to stabilise and then stay there for a while before doing any further changes.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Thanks, peggy, that's the next step -- to increase the Lexapro, to 2mg and see if that helps.

ladybugqt, you tapered too fast off Lexapro. Reinstating a low dose of Lexapro is more likely to help your withdrawal symptoms. You may not have to go all the way back up to 5mg, but you might have to take a few milligrams.

What is the Zoloft supposed to do for you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Peggy - i've had a bad reaction to lexapro from the start! I just didnt make the connection til it was 2 late. I was on zoloft for yrs & thought id try & find 1 tht didnt lower my sex drive so much! Doc thinks switching to zoloft will help me get off lexapro & not notice the withdrawal so much! Havent done it yet - wanted experienced opinion from u guys... ( ps - I DID TURN ALL THESE SYMPTOMS INTO MEDWATCH ON THE FDA SITE) But, u should know i will be on my death bed b4 i consider going back to 5mg & doing this all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Administrator

ladybug, switching to Zoloft may or may not eliminate your withdrawal symptoms. It's risky.

If reinstating a bit of Lexapro doesn't work, you can always go on Zoloft.

I didnt go on zoloft! I think I have found the right 'step-down' dose for me! I am taking 1.25mg every other day. I am having minor symptom (so far) but nothing i cant deal with. headaches alil more. Nauseaus. Alil more nervous. Here's the weird 1- trouble swallowing pills - it seems to take my breathe? (is that common?) bUT ALL OF THAT IS DOABLE, FOR NOW ANYWAYS... ~~~ HERE'S THE GREAT NEWS... I HAVE GOOD MOODS AGAIN. MY VOICE - MY REAL VOICE - IS IN N OUT! I HAVENT HEARD MY REAL VOICE IN 6 MONTHS! My mom cried when she heard it! Never thought id be so EXSTATIC to sound like a 13 yr old boy! lol I see light at the end of the tunnel again! (i started every other day last friday. i know it hasnt been long & i plan to stay at this dose for probably 6 weeks befor i drop again) Just excitttttted to see improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Administrator

ladybug, you know that skipping doses is a risky way to take these drugs.

Those troubles may be withdrawal symptoms, and can get worse.

Please figure out a way to take the same amount every day, at the same time. How about 1mg? Your nervous system needs stability, not to be bounced around.

You can get Lexapro liquid from the pharmacy or make your own liquid from Lexapro tablets, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

I know it is... But when the doc advised me to try 'every other day' I figured what do I have to lose? If it gets worse i'll go back to everyday - I PROMISE! For now - I am just so excited to see progress! :D :D :D

• Administrator

What do you have to lose? If you develop severe withdrawal symptoms, you'll find out!

Sometimes they don't go away. You're playing games with your nervous system.

Do not take your dosage every other day, please.

On the other hand, if you do make yourself really sick, you're welcome in our community for the years it will take you to recover.

BIG THX TO ALL OF U WHO HAVE HELPED ME & SHOWN ME THAT I'M NOT ALONE! I will be praying for ur complete recovery! I have, however, found another support group & doctor. The last post on my thread was 'talking down' to me & I don't need that right now! I thought it was just the way i took it, but after showing it to my husband and mom - who agree - I know it wasn't just "my mood".

• Administrator

Good luck to you ladybugqt.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just read this, probably too late now if you've gone ladybugqt, I've been where you are many times and seen many other people go through what you're going through, please if you're reading this, don't do the alternate day thing, it really is very bad advice, doctors are notorious for telling patients to do this.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

First of all, Alto - I value ur advice & experienced opinions - just didnt appreciate the way u talked down to me! With that said - I did brew me up some liquid lexapro to take everyday! I was on .75/of a milligram but today I went up to a milligram. ( used a needless syringe for insulin - one 5mg tab crushed - one syringe full of water - & then i take 1/5th of a syringe a day) My question, n why i increased alil, is: r bad sinus congestion n coughing ur head off a w/d symptom? Or do i just have allergies?

• Administrator

I can't say, lbqt, but I'm glad you're not skipping doses any more. That got you into trouble before.

Sorry for the little nudge, I was worried about you.

Day 4 on 1mg liquid lexapro! So far, so good. No cryin spurts or dizzyness. Been working out my arms trying to get back some of the strength i lost. Very frustrated however w my familys' frustration about the whole thing. I didnt get sick overnight & i wont heal overnight. I know theyre just worried about me, but it makes me feel like they think i should be doing something more that im not. I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN! I know it could always be worse, but dont they think its frustrating 4 me as well? Seems like they think another doc could cure me... Docs, in my experience, just try to band aid everything w another pill - & I AM DONE W THAT! Sorry... Guess i just neede to vent to someone that 1st hand understands! My sinuses n coughing r horrible - but that could b just allergies, however, they do caalm down when i take 1/2 an ativan! Someone said rosemary helps w coughing - so im gonna have 2 try that & i ordered magnesium malate 4 the migraines - should b here tomarrow!

• 3 weeks later...

Been on liquid lexapro 1mg since sept 2. Migraines are gone (knock on wood), everyones noticing my voice is getting stronger, i'm working out my muscles with a band to try to get my strength back, crying spurts r gone & 'normal' emotions r returning. DEFINITELY MAKING PROGRESS! YAY! How do I know when im ready to reduce again? I'm wanting to go down to .75 of a milligram, but I want Alto to tell me if its a good idea! THANKS A BIG BUNCH!

• Administrator

Very glad to hear you're stabilizing and feeling better, lbqt.

This is my take. You've always had a bad reaction to Lexapro. This means it was injuring your nervous system. Then you made mistakes going off, tapering too fast and alternating doses, hurting your nervous system more.

You quit 1.25mg on Aug 12 and got severe withdrawal symptoms. You were trying alternating 1.25mg again on Aug 25.

It's only been a month since you've been stable. How about giving it another couple of weeks at least?

At that time, if I were you, I'd try only a .10mg reduction (use the 1mL oral syringe). This might seem very small, but it seems your nervous system is vulnerable to dosage reduction, and all the adventures of the last 6 months might have made it more so.

mom was talking to her friend today, he said LEXAPRO damn near killed his sister in law (she is fine now though. Just took time)... Just goes to show ya - I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES! I can't stress this enough - don't be afraid to research meds befor u take em! Even if u have faith in ur doctor - he only know what the drug companies choose to tell him. Make urself aware of the 'ifs' & 'rare happenings' - it wouldn't be documented if it wasn't a possibility! Just sayin'

It seems that Lexapro has greater number of extreme adverse reactions early on and with few doses.. My imagination?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Absolutely true! I am making it my own lil mission to put my big mouth to work & warn ppl! We need 2 b more informed & less trusting about the poisons we expose ourselves to~!~

• Administrator

Milligram for milligram, Lexapro is a very strong antidepressant. It's several times stronger than Celexa or Paxil. Doctors forget this and start people at doses that are excessive.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after dropping down to .75 from 1 mg for a week, I experienced w/d again so I listened to Altos' advice & went up to .90 of a milligram. I FEEL GREAT! I don't know why I can't listen to ya the first time? It would make my life so much simpler! THANKS, LOVE, & ANGEL HUGZ!

• Moderator Emeritus

So glad it's going well for you ladybugqt, sounds like you've really got to grips with it now :)

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

lb, looks like even at this tiny dose, a 25% reduction is too much for you. A 10% reduction might work better.

Now you're taking .90mg, your next reduction would be to .81mg; after that, .73mg. You figure it on the last dosage you took. The amount of the reduction keeps getting smaller.

Try not to bounce down and up in dosage. I'm very happy this worked for you, but there might come a time when updosing doesn't help. Slow and steady wins the race!

• 7 months later...

LEXAPRO is the most evil thing I have ever encountered... & I believe it was unnessasary in the 1st place! I have spent almost a yr getting of this drug that took my voice & almost all muscle strength. I am learning to stand again & use my arms again. My voice is coming back! My question --- I am down to  ,12 1/2 of a millligram. Do I stop from there? How do i possibly get a smaller dose, if not? I have had a very hard time w withdrawals & am so excited this is almost over!

• Moderator Emeritus

LEXAPRO is the most evil thing I have ever encountered... & I believe it was unnessasary in the 1st place! I have spent almost a yr getting of this drug that took my voice & almost all muscle strength. I am learning to stand again & use my arms again. My voice is coming back! My question --- I am down to  ,12 1/2 of a millligram. Do I stop from there? How do i possibly get a smaller dose, if not? I have had a very hard time w withdrawals & am so excited this is almost over!

Do you mean 12.5 mg or do you mean .125 mg?? Either way congratulations on a good taper!

OK. I looked back at your origianl thread so am assuming you are down to .125 mg ...that is AWESOME!!!

I am not one to give advice but have a question instead... once you slowed down your taper in October did things go fairly smoothly?

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

sORRY, yes I did mean 12.5% of 1 mg. THANK U FOR THE SUPPORT!!! When I got below  5 mg  I washed out an infant  ibuprofen bottle, crushed 5 of the 5mg tabs & added 25 eye droppers ful of  water - which took me to 1 mg a dropper ----- & measured from there.  NO, it's been up n down & included vomiting, dizziness, shaking, costipation 1 minute diareah the next, a shocking feeling in my legs, stiff neck, migraines... I seem to be getting regulated  w smaller tapers, however the first 2 weeks anytime I drop r HELL!

• Moderator Emeritus

Ladybugqt,

You would need more accuracy to deal with such tiny doses. If the smaller tapers are easier for you I would definitely recommend investing in some more precise  equipment. I might be able to help you with that.

Rhi is also doing tiny tapers using more precise equipment. You might want to ask her what she would suggest. 

RU

ps. Also... dropping from .9 mg to .12 mg in a little over 7 months is awfully fast. How long have you been stable on your current dose?

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

ladybug, you might need a more precise way to measure.

Being that you're at such a low dose, this might be a good time for a long hold, to give your nervous system time to consolidate the dosage reductions.

Gotcha, I'll wait a month to 6 weeks & see how I feel b4 I decide to drop again! THX!