☼ ladybugqt -- Lexapro: Will I ever feel normal again?

ladybugqt

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ladybugqt

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

LB the lower doses of Lexapro were particularly rough for me in terms of chronic anxiety and the srying spurts.  Mostly anxiety.

I believe this is the part of tapering where it may take the longest.  In other words, take very miniscule drops in dose and then stay where you are for a long time.

My God, getting off of these medicines is a muderous process, thank heavens we have each  other....

Slow, tiny and steady the course. (someone once told me that)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

lbqt, you might get a 1mL or .5mL oral syringe from a compounding pharmacy or perhaps a veterinarian. This will enable you to measure hundredths of a milliliter more accurately.

You probably have been going too fast and need longer holds as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

All we've all been thru (I don't claim to have it worse than anyone - WE ALL  HAVE OUR BATTLES) but I was giving up hope - then I read a post on slow successes...U gave me more hope than anyone ever could have RHI! I  cried. A good cry, a hopeful cry, a DETERMINED cry! Gonna join u in 'turtleville' & reclaim my life!   THANK U SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P LADYBUGQT :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Well, this is truly inspiring. But I am a little confused as to why Alto stopped LBQT from alternating lexapro 1.25mg? , since Lexapro has a longer half life, I believe that should have been the withdrawals LBQT might have been going through.

I got completely distracted because of this information, I was tapering with no issues at all. Hence after 6 months of tapering from 10mg Cipralex, Last month I did 1.25mg straight but lately I was prescribed to go on alternating with 1.25mg. I googled and came across this information and completely got shaken. I have done much research and had found that in the final stages of taper people do alternate, which is not advised by Joseph Glenmullen in his book "The Antidepressant Solution" however Lexapro is one of those drugs which has a longer half life, and if one is not experiencing withdrawals then one should keep on doing it. Your Thoughts please......

• Administrator

Shaikh, Lexapro does NOT have a particularly long half life. The only SSRI with a long half life is Prozac (fluoxetine), and even then people get withdrawal symptoms from skipping doses -- they just happen sometime later.

Please do NOT skip doses to taper Cipralex at any stage of your weaning. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Also, please start an Intro topic for yourself in this forum so we can get to know you and you can track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

I thought i'd stop in & update... It took me awhile longer due to stress & grief   - in mid august my mom/best friend/neighbor/biggest supporter passed away .... My hope & feeling that I CAN do this went w her... I cope by writing & wrote this for pastor to read at the funeral:

Mom,I dont even know how to express just how much you  mean to us. You're so much more than a great mother - you're my best friend. You've always  given us unconditional love, support, understanding, & advice. You're proud of us, even when you don't agree with our decisions. Everything I am I owe to you! I learned strength by seeing what a strong woman you were. You taught us to have faith, above all, because as long as you do ya never know what miracles tomarrow may bring. You taught us to have compassion for every living thing & to be true to ourselves - never being afraid to be honest, loyal, and stand up for what we believe in, no matter what it is! But, most importantly, you taught us how to love - that when you love, you do so with your entire heart, unconditionally, thru good times and not so good times... I miss u so much already! I know you'll always be here, because the memories u left us are your legacy! Anytime I close my eyes I can hear your advice & I can feel your support! My favorite author says not to think of death as an end, but as a promotion to angel status - you know, as much as I love & need my mama, I can think of noone more deserving of wings! Sending hugs & kisses to heaven until we meet again - all my love, Courtney

Today... I AM 11 DAYS LEXAPRO FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My doctor was NO help & wouldn't listen when I said I just dont feel right. He could have saved me by simply opening his eyes... When he did see, he just said 'stop taking them then' & offered me more drugs... UMM, NO! I did find an intern & a few helpful ER docs... But basically - I owe this major accomplishment to a large support system, unshakable faith, YOU GUYS, & Altos' instruction! I am in 'storm aftermath' & probably will be for awhile! I still have milder headaches, RLS, slight dizziness... One step at a time, right? I read outloud and humm to build my voice up (WHICH IS WORKING) & exercise w wieghts and resistance bands to get my muscle strenght back (WHICH IS ALSO WORKING)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE HOPE AGAIN! I'M MAKING PLANS FOR THE FUTURE AGAIN!

I am so sorry for your loss.  In spite of the loss you were able to write such a beautiful and heart felt eulogy.  Straight from the heart.

So glad you are lexapro free and feel good about making plans for bright future.  Your mom was a wonderful lady and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Lots of hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

THANK YOU ALL FOR UR CONTINUED SUPPORT... I am blessed! If I can be 1/2 the woman my Mama was i'll consider my life a success... Right now i'm just recovering 1 day at a time & trying to make mama proud ! :wub: !

I am so sorry, can not really imagine what losing such a fine mother has been for you.  And very proud of you for carrying on with your Lexapro taper!  Here's to a wonderful 2014!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank u. It, by FAR, is the hardest thing i've ever faced! Word cannot even express the pain... (the fact that she lived next door to me, so now I have to watch someone else move into what will always be mamas' house,  is MIND NUMBING!) But my mom wanted 2 see me get better & go on to achieve my dreams - so i'm gonna give her that and make her PROUD! And I agree - BRING ON 2014!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry for the loss of your darling mother, I can imagine how hard it must be

to see someone else move into her home, you have a lovely attitude and

wonderful memories.  xxx

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

So very sorry about your mother, lbqt.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, lbqt?

• 1 month later...

I was  recently discharged from therapy. (physical & speech) They said as hard as I work & as much improvement as I show I can heal the rest of the way on my own! YAY I can write, speak, & sing now - not 100% but getting better. I no longer choke on pills & stuff, no longer have to drink from a straw... & the kicker - I can stand to transfer into our minivan! For 2 weeks now I've sat in the front w my husband. I HAVEN'T DONE THAT IN 3 YEARS! (pic below, don't mind the puffiness I was cryin happy tears) I still have some symptoms and have a ways to go, but i'm getting there! I am on a BP pill now since it hit 168/125, which I hear is common w antidepressant hell. My emotions are still high to say the least. My immune system was weak but turmeric & vitamin c seem to really help! I have used the tools you've given me to get my husband off Zoloft (after 7 yrs on it he is 3 week Zoloft-free, YAY) & educate anyone who will listen about the dangers  of this legal poisoning & where trusting big pharma will get you!!!! Praying hard, working hard, & listening to you all SAVED MY LIFE! I truly love each & every 1 of you! (now that my laptop is back i'll be here more often) We ALL are survivors. WARRIORS. Please don't ever forget that!!!

post-794-0-53145600-1433111319_thumb.jpg

• Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thank u sooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much! I forgot to add - I was not aware how much weight gain  these dangerous drugs packed. My weight is stabilized now (im still so NOT thin, lol) but the 1st 6 mnths drug free I dropped 80 lbs... When my husband got to the lower taper he lost 65 lbs. I'm so lucky the ER physician told me about this site! :) !

• 7 months later...

New Years Eve opened a HUGE window for me, today I struggled & white knuckled to keep it open - but its still open!!!!! Oh, I have a ways to go , but im gettin there! My voice & muscles are strong, my breathing is deep, & I feel hope - in my bones, in my soul! Its January in Ohio & im seeing SUNSHINE! I dont know how long this will last, but i'll take it!!!!!! Some of you believe & some of you dont, & its cool - to each their own path, but I gotta say (for me anyway) i...ts God & deep faiith that have gotten me this far! {Im spiritual NOT religious, my faith is in God NOT organized religion!}
For those in deep suffering tonight - I've spent 25 mnths (& thats after my taper) crying on the floor begging God to heal me or let me die. Mute for a long time, 20% lung capacity for a long time, BP 168/125 averaged for a long time, unable to stand to even dress for a long time, brain zaps that felt like full body electric chair currents for a long time, etc etc etc. It does get better! We do heal! Be gentle on ur self & put YOU 1st! <3 you all!
:wub:

• Administrator

So very good to hear from you, ladybug. Best for the new year to you!