Finding the "Weak Spot"

mstimc

• Mentor

Hi All

I have a completely unscientific theory about anxiety/WD and physical symptoms, and want to see what other members think.  Like most other people my age (late 50's), I've had my share of dents and dings in my life.  In high school I got cocky and tried to lift more weight than I should and tore a front ab muscle.  About a year later I was in a car accident and messed up my left neck muscles.  Finally, about six years ago I got another lower ab tear moving furniture.  None of these injuries were serious and eventually healed.  But one things I've noticed is that when I get anxious, any one of these old injuries will flare up.  

My theory is that anxiety will find your "weak spot" and aggravate the heck out of it, which in turn increases anxiety and prolongs the physical symptom.  Anxiety and tension go hand in hand, so it makes sense that increased tension would exacerbate any existing old injury that may still be prone of flare ups.  Anyone else have the same experience? 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Hello Mstimc! I agree with you one hundred percent. Before maybe 12 years when I was in high school something similar happened to me. We were doing some gymnastics and I made a wrong move and I had feeling like somebody stabbed me just under my heart and tore everything in abdominal. I couldn't catch breath and pain was so severe that everybody thought I had heart attack including myself. I didn't have any logical explanation for that kind of pain. They checked me in hospital all good with my heart, but I was not feeling good at all. What happened that time was my stomach went trough diaphragm (something called hiatal hernia ) but I went undiagnosed for maybe 3 years. From that occasion I started having panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia and I was complaining for very long time to my parents and doctors about symptoms of pain and feeling "uncomfortable" just there near my heart. It was very severe and unexplainable. That's the reason why they put me on benzo in first place then AD, as doctor convinced me it's all in my head. My anxiety keep hitting me in same weak spot, my hiatal hernia and that was the reason why I couldn't get of Paxil and benzo even if I tried so hard almost every year since I started taking them. 

Paroxetine 20 Mg from 2014. to 2020. Taper January, February and mid March 2020. Was off for 9 months. 

Bromazepam 3 Mg from 2015-2020. Present dose 1.5 Mg 

Started Zoloft 25 Mg on 10.12.2020. 

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, Artistic said:

My anxiety keep hitting me in same weak spot, my hiatal hernia and that was the reason why I couldn't get of Paxil and benzo even if I tried so hard almost every year since I started taking them. 

Yes, there are few things more aggravating than a persistent problem that's difficult to pinpoint.  Hiatal hernias are pretty common but its easier for a lot of doctors to attribute discomfort to "heartburn" or anxiety.  I recently found out I have a minor one, which was discovered as part of a routine preventive care endoscopy of the throat and stomach.  Its not worth treating, but sometimes just knowing what's wrong with you helps you deal with it. 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy