India

Jordan Peterson and his Benzodiazepine / Akathisia Experience

India

Jordan Update February 2020         "Hi everyone, it’s been months since we’ve given an update on Jordan and my family’s health and it’s time for one so here goes. The last year has been extremely difficult for our family. Dad was put on a low dose of a benzodiazepine a few years ago for anxiety following an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food. He took the medication as prescribed. Last April when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, the dose of the medication was increased. It became apparent that he was suffering from both a physical dependency and a paradoxical reaction to the medication. A paradoxical reaction means the drugs do the opposite of what they’re supposed to. These reactions are rare but are not unheard of. For the last 8 months he’s been in unbearable discomfort from this drug, made worse when trying to remove it, because of the addition of withdrawal symptoms, stemming from physical dependence. He experienced terrible akathisia, which is a condition where the person feels an incredible, endless, irresistible restlessness, bordering on panic, and an inability to sit still. The reaction made him suicidal.  After several failed treatment attempts in North American hospitals, including attempts at tapering and micro-tapering, we had to seek an emergency medical benzodiazepine detox, which we were only able to find in Russia. It was incredibly gruelling, and was further complicated by severe pneumonia which we’ve been told he developed in one of the previous hospitals. He’s had to spend 4 weeks in the ICU in terrible shape, but, with the help of some extremely competent and courageous doctors, he survived.  The decision to bring him to Russia was made in extreme desperation, when we couldn’t find any better option. The uncertainty around his recovery has been one of the most difficult and scary experiences we’ve ever had. So: Finally Dad is on the mend, even though there’s a lot of physiological damage that he needs to recover from. He’s improving, and is off the horrible medication. His sense of humour is back. He’s smiling again for the first time in months, but he still has a long way to go to recover fully. It appears that we are going to get through this by the skin of our teeth. So let me make a couple of things clear: 1.    Neither our family nor the doctors here believe that this is  a case of psychological addiction.  2. Benzodiazepine physical dependence due to brain changes can occur in a matter of weeks. It can be made even worse by paradoxical reactions that are difficult to diagnose, and can be extremely dangerous. 3.    We’ve been told and hope that Dad will recover fully but it will take time and he still has a ways to go. 4.    We are extremely lucky and grateful that he’s alive. The next update will come from him directly. Thanks again for all the support. Previous update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwai...

Gridley

@India

Thanks for posting this.  I knew he was on AD's, at least last I heard, I think Zoloft and possibly Wellbutrin, but had no idea he was on benzos.  These drugs are so treacherous.

sunnysideup69

I've been following this story and also was surprised to learn he'd been on benzos. I knew about the Wellbutrin (or Hellbutrin as I see someone here has renamed it.)

God, that family have had a crappy time over the last year.. 

Andie

Clinical Psychologist discusses Jordan Peterson.  

pinciukas

He was on large dose of Clonazepam and had bad addiction. Often he can’t get meds and was searching for help in the hospital’s emergencies. I know this from close people and believe me there was very high doses. Don’t be scared. It’s not from one pill per day.

Giulietta

He is another victim of pharmas and ignorant practitioners. Another sad story - like many we have prsonal contact with.

Andie
On 3/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, pinciukas said:

He was on large dose of Clonazepam and had bad addiction. Often he can’t get meds and was searching for help in the hospital’s emergencies. I know this from close people and believe me there was very high doses. Don’t be scared. It’s not from one pill per day.

This is not correct. Physical dependence can occur from low doses taken only once a day. 

pinciukas
4 hours ago, Andie said:

This is not correct. Physical dependence can occur from low doses taken only once a day. 

As you develop physical tolerance, you require either a higher dose to get the same effect of what you saw before, or essentially people just start getting a breakthrough of all their anxiety symptoms. He knew it and he was 10 years on benzos. He was on very high dose. 

Shishacoda

Pretty interesting interview regardless if you drink the Peterson koolaid.

powerback
Posted (edited)

Jordan Petersons first appearance since hes benzo hell.

Warning ,this will be highly triggering ,so dont watch if it will trigger you.

Prescribers will surely wake up after someone so high profile is speaking out .

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Glosmom

Very compelling. It is unfortunate he gave a shout out to supposed 'long term efficacy' of SSRI's.....which we all know is BS. And it is unfortunate they couldn't mention the other toxic crap that causes akathesia and withdrawal hell/nightmares (antipsychotics).....but at least it is raising awareness of how little psych docs know and how utterly useless they are.

Thanks for posting!

Madeleine

I just came here to post this article and saw someone beat me to it.  In my opinion, it seems he is still learning about Benzos, and is still not out of the woods....He says he feels quite a bit better, but seems to have been given some other kind of drug(s) in Serbia, where he is now, and he doesn't say what the drug is.  He mentions ketamine, which was given to him earlier, in order to help wean him off the benzo, but it would be interesting to know if and what other drugs were prescribed to him in Canada by psychiatrists to deal with the benzo withdrawal.    

It would be interesting too to know what benzo he was taking because, as many of us know, they have different half lives, and this affects the symptoms one has.  For example, Ativan has a short half life, and people often feel inter-dose withdrawals as a result, whereas valium has a much longer half life, and so switching to valium, a la the Ashton Taper, smooths out and eliminates the interdose withdrawals.

Interestingly, he mentioned the Ashton Method for tapering and said it did not "work" for him.... I really question whether he gave it enough of a try, whether he was too impatient.  The cross-over often takes time, weeks, and even sometimes a couple of months, and it then it takes a while to stabilize before you can start tapering.  And I get the sense that he likely gave up too quickly, and then moved on in desperation to try to find another solution, which made things even worse.

He did mention taking an SSRI, I think, for a prolonged time.   Could his anxiety for which he had been prescribed benzos ( I think he said in  2014? or 2012? --), been related somehow to his SSRI?  It's hard to know as he did not say when and if he had stopped the SSRI(s).  In the interview, he has not put forward his whole psych drug history as we do in our "signature lines" .  Without knowing that, it is hard to assess what exactly is going on with him. 

I wonder also if he was not as wealthy as he is, if he did not have the option of flying from country to country searching for a solution, and if the only feasible option he had was to be patient and stick with the Ashton taper, he would have stabilized, then tapered successfully.  I wonder too, if he had just joined benzo buddies or this group, and tapered along with us, whether he could have avoided all the extremes he went through, e.g. induced coma in Russia, etc.  In his case, I think being wealthy and famous probably was a hinderance. Most of us here have no other options other than staying in our own homes, and in our desperation, we come here, and find a community of supportive people who hold our hand, who have walked the path and know the way. With the sheer number of people here, our collective knowledge is great; no matter how weird the symptoms are, there is someone here who has gone through it before, and can tell and reassure us from first-hand experience that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and how best to get there.  

Anyway, he has woken up to the danger of Benzos, and is waking up to the danger of psych drugs, but still not totally aware... It is good though that he has put the dangers on the radar by sharing his experience in this video.

Shishacoda
17 hours ago, Madeleine said:

He did mention taking an SSRI, I think, for a prolonged time.   Could his anxiety for which he had been prescribed benzos ( I think he said in  2014? or 2012? --), been related somehow to his SSRI?  It's hard to know as he did not say when and if he had stopped the SSRI(s).  In the interview, he has not put forward his whole psych drug history as we do in our "signature lines" .  Without knowing that, it is hard to assess what exactly is going on with him. 

Possibly, however I believe that he did experience both anxiety and major depression for some time before taking medication. His daughter has had similar issues, amongst other things. 
It was only until recently that they both reduced medications when Mikhaila went to an all beef diet and found reprieve. Pretty fascinating and for me it makes me think of the microbiotal effects of psychiatric drugs in comparison to dietary changes.
They both talk about their experiences in other videos with the diet and their health history, moreso Mikhaila. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqXZY3B-cGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6g_geYeL4U

powerback

Full interview with Robert witacker  below .

Gridley
On 7/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, Madeleine said:

It would be interesting too to know what benzo he was taking

He says in the interview it was Clonazepam (Klonopin).

Altostrata

Merged the Jordan Peterson topics into this one.

ChessieCat

Merged another Jordan Peterson topic into this one.