SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

brassmonkey

Reinstatement

(9)

Reinstatement can often reduce withdrawal symptoms from a CT or Taper that has gone wrong.  It is the only way doctors know to address withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstatement is a very useful tool if used correctly, but it is not guaranteed to reverse destabilization.  This is best avoided by doing a proper slow taper in the first place.  SA has devoted several threads specifically to reinstatement, https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/?tab=comments#comment-33809 

Re-stabilization from a Reinstatement may not happen overnight.  Some people may start to get some relief from their symptoms right away, while for some people it can take several days to weeks to see improvements.  Once symptoms have started to improve, some time may be needed before they reach that state of being the same day in and day out.  This state is referred to as WDNormal, which we will discuss later.

If there are large fluctuations in symptoms from week to week then stability has not been achieved and more time is required.  Reaching stability is very individual and will frequently take three months or more.  A lot of this depends on how bad the symptoms were, the amount of time a person had been off the drug at the time of the reinstatement, and their response to the reinstatement.

A related subject is updosing.  This is making a slight increase in the dose taken to try and reduce symptoms that are starting to get out of control.  It is considered as a Dose Change Event with all the associated timeframes applying.  Improvement may be slight until the drug is at steady state in the blood an updose will frequently show improvements within a few days to a couple of weeks.  However, two to three months may be needed for full stabilization before any reduction can be considered.  All in all, it is best to wait for clear stability after any Dose Change Event before continuing with a taper.

These drugs do not act like OTC pain killers, take one and the pain is gone in half an hour.  They work by making changes to the biology of the body and nervous system.  People frequently will think of Updosing as a safety net.  Comments such as “if this is too fast, then I will just do an updose and be okay” are all too common. Sadly, updosing doesn't always work.  Too many dosage changes can sensitize the body and cause an Adverse Reaction.  An Adverse Reaction can take many months to stabilize.

Edited by ChessieCat
lower heading

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Drug Interactions

(10)

Often psychiatric drugs do not play well with each other or with other drugs and supplements. Used in the wrong combinations they can cause extreme reactions such as Serotonin Toxicity or Serotonin Syndrome.  These extreme reactions are quite dangerous. 

A big problem is that many doctors disregard the issue and will prescribe dangerous combinations. If a person is taking any combination of drugs, not just psychiatric drugs, it is wise to check all the drugs you’re taking. Your doctor and pharmacist are supposed to do this but often they skip this step.  Always check for potential interactions before adding another drug or supplement. There are a number of good sites available online for doing this. This one is quite popular: https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Experimentation with supplements is the second main cause of bad interactions. Any supplement that it sold to “improve mental health”, “help you think clearer” or “take the edge off your day” is more than likely to react badly when taken in combination with psychiatric drugs. For people who are taking psychiatric drugs supplements need to be added with caution.

Once the interaction has started, fixing the situation is not as simple as just stopping one or more of the drugs.  Each drug must be tapered over time or withdrawal symptoms may occur.  If the interactions cause organ damage or are life threatening a rapid taper may be justified, for safety reasons, but potentially causing withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, it may take some time to recover from the adverse reaction and stabilize after removing an offending drug.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed full stop at end of heading

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• brassmonkey pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 7/5/2020 at 10:45 PM, brassmonkey said:

Too many dosage changes can sensitize the body and cause an Adverse Reaction.  An Adverse Reaction can take many months to stabilize.

Even changes like I did in the last 10 days can do an adverse effect? Because in one side they were so tiny (only one bead out of ~240 in my dose) and in other side there are 3-4 days between the changes. They are written down in my signature.

2010-2015 Cipramil 20-40mg. half-year break in the middle which was tough.

2015-2020 Venlafaxine 150-225 mg. Venlafaxine duloxetine cross taper details 

150 for half-year then 225 for a period than stabilized in ~187.5 (1.25 pills) for 2 years than reduced to ~168.5 (1.125 pills).

3.2020 - Duloxetine 60mg.

19.05.2020 - started to taper - 59! 20.5 - 58.5. June 2020: 57. end of June - 55.5

Summer 2020: 5.7 - 54, 9.7 - 52, 12.7 - updose to 53+, 19.7 - 52.3, 26.7 - 51.8, 4.8 51.3, 11.8 - 50.8, 15.8 - updose to 51.0, 17.8 - 50.5, 19.8 - 50.3, 19.9 - 49.3

Autumn-winter: 7.10 - 46.8, 1.12 - 45.8, 17.12 - 44.4, 30.12 - 42.4, 21.1 - 40.8. 17.2 - 40.1, end of feb - 38.6,

springmid march updose to 40.1, 28.3 - 38.6, 15.4 - 37.5, 14.5 - 36.8, end of may 37.5+ and after a week 39

Summer 2021:  mid of june again to 36.7, end of july 39.5.

11.10.2021 - 40.7 📌

The changes you've been making in the past few weeks are such a small percentage of your dose and relatively wide spaced so there should not be a problem with an adverse reaction. It could make things more sensitive, but would probably just cause a spike in symptoms for a few weeks.

1 minute ago, brassmonkey said:

The changes you've been making in the past few weeks are such a small percentage of your dose and relatively wide spaced so there should not be a problem with an adverse reaction. It could make things more sensitive, but would probably just cause a spike in symptoms for a few weeks.

👍Thank you

2010-2015 Cipramil 20-40mg. half-year break in the middle which was tough.

2015-2020 Venlafaxine 150-225 mg. Venlafaxine duloxetine cross taper details 

150 for half-year then 225 for a period than stabilized in ~187.5 (1.25 pills) for 2 years than reduced to ~168.5 (1.125 pills).

3.2020 - Duloxetine 60mg.

19.05.2020 - started to taper - 59! 20.5 - 58.5. June 2020: 57. end of June - 55.5

Summer 2020: 5.7 - 54, 9.7 - 52, 12.7 - updose to 53+, 19.7 - 52.3, 26.7 - 51.8, 4.8 51.3, 11.8 - 50.8, 15.8 - updose to 51.0, 17.8 - 50.5, 19.8 - 50.3, 19.9 - 49.3

Autumn-winter: 7.10 - 46.8, 1.12 - 45.8, 17.12 - 44.4, 30.12 - 42.4, 21.1 - 40.8. 17.2 - 40.1, end of feb - 38.6,

springmid march updose to 40.1, 28.3 - 38.6, 15.4 - 37.5, 14.5 - 36.8, end of may 37.5+ and after a week 39

Summer 2021:  mid of june again to 36.7, end of july 39.5.

11.10.2021 - 40.7 📌

What about situation whan I'm 2 years after quitting and dont have waves and windows and my pssd is all the same? with total genital and emotional numbness?

01.12.2018 - 01.03.2019 - Took sertraline and than fluvosamine for major depression. 

Got SEVERE PSSD (no libido, no erections, pleasureless orgasma, total genital anesthesia, emotional numbness, lost of personality)

No wave and windows, no improvement so far. Just lije 1-2% in numbness in first two months post quitting. 

Im suicidal because of pssd. I dont believe in recovery since my state didnt improve in any significant way.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, brassmonkey said:

This can cause them to get careless in their actions.  Drinking alcohol is a major factor in excellent recoveries getting derailed.

Ok wait, so does this mean no alcohol, even one or two drinks a week? What about coffee? Sorry if there are threads with detail but my search hasn't turned up any specific topics with much detail. TIA 🙏

• Paroxetine Taper from 10mg | 29 Oct 2020 9mg | 29 Nov 2020 8.1mg | 1 Jan 2021 7.5mg | Using DIY liquid so far (converting 1:1 mg to mL). Taking ~40mg tablet of magnesium a day since Nov 2020 (1/4 150mg tablet).
  • Paroxetine (Aropax / Seroxat / Paxil) since 1999, varying between 20mg and 5mg/day. Several failed attempts to WD. Was on 10mg/day 2013-2020 before starting taper.
  • 2020 prescribed valium (Diazepam) to take 'as needed' in support of paroxetine taper, but never taken and no longer think this is a good idea.
  • My introduction topic

Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still treat each guest honourably. He may be clearing you out for some new delight. –Rumi

• Mentor

hi @Nnaa

1 hour ago, Nnaa said:

Ok wait, so does this mean no alcohol, even one or two drinks a week? What about coffee

Yes it is recommended to eliminate both during withdrawals. I see you are tapering paxil, and from my own experience with tapering that drug, I would highly recommend avoiding both alcohol and coffee.

All the best to you.

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

Hanna's right. It is recommended that you don't drink any alcohol at all during withdrawal and even after reaching "0".  We have a number of members who were nicely into recovery/healing who had a few drinks 10 months after reaching "0" and it threw them right back into acute WD. It is also very common, especially around the holidays, for someone who is having a smooth taper to have a celebratory glass of wine and a day later start an extremely bad wave that lasts a very long time. Also for people who have regular drinks during the week who are having problems with their taper, when they stop drinking they stabilize and have a much smoother time of it.

Paxil is particularly bad because it can cause alcohol cravings and lowers ones resistance to those cravings. 

Caffeine can present the same sort of problems. It is a very strong stimulant and does not mix well with psych meds. It can be very hard to withdraw from but the forum is full of stories of members having problems cause by it.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've moved James' posts to his Intro so this topic doesn't get cluttered with chatter.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hey @brassmonkey-

I’ve read this thread so many times over the years I could probably recite most of it. I just read it again as I’m back in crisis mode. 

As you can see by my history, I’ve been holding a heckuva long time on 4 MG of Lexapro as I resolve some other health issues, namely trigeminal neuralgia. I was out on Oxcarbazepine/Trileptal for all of one day last week and I immediately stopped when I got vertigo, brain fog and other symptoms. It’s been 8 days and while the brain fog is mostly gone, it’s been replaced by pretty serious anxiety, something that I haven’t had in so long. 

The doctors are telling me that Trileptal should be long gone from my system and I’m assuming what I’m feeling now is a destabilized nervous system. Does that sound about right? Trying to get lots of rest, hydrate, avoid triggers, etc. 

I’ve always appreciated your perspective and thanks in advance for your time. Happy holidays!

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

Hi Ryan-- it sounds like you had an immediate adverse reaction to the medication, which, from what I have read, is very common. It is a good thing that you have only taken one dose, as the side effects from an adverse reaction can be extremely severe. The drug has a very short half life, so the doctor is right on that account, it is no longer in your system. However, it appears to have it's own version of withdrawal syndrome with brain fog, anxiety and dizziness at the top of the list. A long slow taper is usually recommended, except in the case of an adverse reaction. Having only take one dose you should be fine with just stopping. It appears that the WD syndrome can linger for a while, but as you pointed out the brain fog is already improving, so the rest should follow soon. It would probably be a good idea to hold off on any lexapro tapering until you are good and stable from this episode because you may be more sensitive to reductions.

Thank you, sir. I agree 100% that it’s just destabilized me a bit. I’m upset with myself for trying it but trigeminal neuralgia is brutal. I should know better though. 

Thanks again, @brassmonkey and I really have appreciated all the knowledge and wisdom that you’ve posted over the years. You help more people than you’ll ever know. 

Take care and Merry Christmas!

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

@brassmonkey- Merry Christmas!

Have you ever heard of one pill causing SSRI poop out? My biggest fear is this crushing anxiety is here to stay and I’ll have to switch medications to continue my taper. 

I had my meds poop out previously but only after being hospitalized and on Dilaudid regularly for 10 days, resulting in serotonin syndrome. 

I appreciate you, sir!

The body takes a long time to build up to poopout. Taking one pill can give an adverse reaction, but not poopout. An adverse reaction can then take some time to clear itself. Frequently it is just a matter of weeks, but depending on the reaction it can go on quit a bit longer. Bad anxiety is one of the most common symptoms, like the other symptoms it will clear up over time. While it is sorting itself out acceptance and getting on with life are the best things to practice. Even though a person is feeling intense anxiety, it can be relegated to the background and worked around and over. Takes some practice and can be very tiring and stressful, but it can be done. Worrying about the anxiety will only make it worse.

Thanks so much, @brassmonkey. Very appreciative of your knowledge and wisdom. Definitely still dealing with the anxiety and the resulting adrenal fatigue but not trying to focus on it.  

@brassmonkey

Thanks for all you do and your hard earned expertise.

Hello. I’m hoping to get an opinion. I’ve just read thru these links for a second time and have a question.  

Section (8) CT and too fast tapers.

I started a rapid taper from lexapro after 11days of use at 10mg. Started on the 27th of last month, just a few days ago. If you read my posts (understand if you don’t have time) you’ll see the issue. Bad reaction to the 10mg possible drug interaction with my trazadone 50mg. 

Im concerned about the fast taper but really want off so I don’t have to do a long taper on anything but trazadone which I plan to do later when I stabilize. 

I’ve had bad reactions and a long history so there are many variables including immense work stress which I can’t change now.

Do you think my rapid taper as described in my posts and timeline are a good idea? I’m really hoping so as I was only at 10mg for 11 days and after the fast taper my total time on lexapro would be 17 or 18 days. 

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

-Humanist 

1998 -2000 started and stopped several SSRIs because of bad reactions, Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin
2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

2004  Klonepin(daily 15 days)VERY bad cold turkey reaction after 15 days of use. 
2012, rehab inpatient alcohol, marijuana (sober since)

2012- present trazadone 50mg (At bedtime) tried twice to stop. 
2012-2017 Prozac 20mg, stopped Prozac CT without many problems. 

12/16/20- present lexapro 10 mg

12/27/20 started rapid lexapro taper 2.5mg every 2 days after only 11 days of use. Drug interaction problems with  trazadone suspected. 
1/2/21 last day of lexapro
1/321 now trying to stabilize on trazadone enough to begin taper. I was not using the trazadone in a consistent  way starting in late October and it thru me into wd  like symptoms. I was taking it at wildly different times each day because my sleep schedule (bed time) would fluctuate. 

I posted an answer on your intro thread so all your information will be in one place.

hey @brassmonkey

Wanted to shoot over a message and let you know that the anxiety has lifted and all that remains is overall my head just feels full and dizzy with low energy levels. I've felt this sensation a lot in the past and I'm sure it will start to dissipate.

Just wanted to send you a note of gratitude for your support as this has been my worst wave to-date. Definitely going to kick my taper into high gear when I stabilize and start the Slide.

Appreciate you and all you do, sir.

Last question for you, @brassmonkey.  I'm three weeks from my reaction to Trileptal and as mentioned above, still in a pretty bad wave. To put my mind at ease, at what point should I consider an updose? Is that crazy?  I definitely don't want to do that or to switch to another med but just like others, desperately want to feel good again.  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/4/2021 at 7:59 AM, brassmonkey said:

I posted an answer on your intro thread so all your information will be in one place.

@ryan1982

Please as questions specifically related to your own situation in your Introduction topic.  This way your history is in one place, previous history is easily available.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks so much, @ChessieCat- my apologies to you and @brassmonkey.  Better days ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

I  was on olanzapine 10mg at day time and 10mg at night for a month. I went cold turkey due to side effect  on the 12 of January 2021. I have been experiencing several withdrawal symptoms mostly insomnia. I bought cbd oil to ease the symptoms which didn’t work out so well. Right now my pharmacist placed me on omega 3, Epilim 200mg and Aspain to sleep at night. I don’t know if It will get better.. I need help @brassmonkey

11 Dec. 2020 - 12 Jan. 2021 olanzapine 10mg at day & 10mg at night.

CTed due to side effect of this poison WD hit me for 14days before I found this site.

27 Jan. 2021: reinstated olanzapine at 1mg daily..

23Mar-0.9 mg; 6Apr-0.8 mg; 20Apr-0.7 mg 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Trevor19: Olanzapine withdrawal

Hey @brassmonkey, can you please explain this in your signature: When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

I am good at math :) i just need a bit of explanation, did you mean when you hit 3 mg of paxil ,you switched to dropping 0.1 mg every 4 weeks ?

20 mg seroxat from December 2012, several failed attempts to quit.

Last attempt in 2019 resulted in terrible crush after being 3 months drug free (13. feb 2020)

1 March 2020 reinstated 10 mg seroxat

July 2020 began slow taper.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy