KarenRose: I successfully came off after years of trying

Introduction topic:  karenrose-what-a-journey

Hi everyone. 

I guess this is my success story check in. I've been off for almost a year (just a few more weeks) and feel better than I have in years. This forum and the help I got here was literally a life saver. Thank you so much to the people who helped me when I was suffering so much I could not stand being alive anymore. 

I still struggle a little bit with blood sugar issues, mucus, and restless sleep but it's getting better. I am no longer depressed - amazing. Not anxious. I have had many waves but the last few ones have been tiny. I am prepared for bigger waves but no longer scared of them. And haven't had one for a while. I feel healed and withdrawal is becoming a distant memory.

What helped me the most to come off and to heal? I am not recommending any of it - just saying what worked for me after trying just about everything for years. In case it can inspire someone.

1. Ultra slow tapering - feel free to take a look at my journey. The key was listening to my body, not the numbers. It made all the difference and I learned it here. 
  2. Whole foods super nutritious diet without allergens. No sugar, caffeine, alcohol. I used the AIP diet. Lots of clean water.
  3. EFT tapping and EMDR for pervasive trauma, emotional pain, stress and anxiety.
  4. Dancing for exercise and stress release (no need to go out - did it at home). Still working on getting back in shape.
  5. Coffee enemas for migraines and feeling toxic and achey. I know this is controversial and may not be for everyone. It worked very well for me.
  6. Meditation in the morning - five to ten minutes.

I was convinced at several points I could not do it. If this is you, know that you can.

Much support and hope,

Karen

Edited by ChessieCat
added introduction topic link

Began Paxil in 2003 plus Trazodone to sleep. Tapered off as per doctor's suggestion in less than two months i.e. CT. Got zapped and depressed/anxious worse than before.

Got on Cymbalta in 2005. Cross tapered to 20mg lexapro from 2005, Tapered off fast/CT and took amino acids, total crash.

Started Lexapro in 2008 and got to 45 mg before full "effect"

Erfa thyroid and organic paleo food, lots of healthy fat, no gluten/dairy. Depression lifted.

Tapered off Lexapro from 45 mg since March 2015. Came off Lexapro fully  in summer of 2016. Reinstated at 1mg.

CBD oil plus small dosis THC.

Switched to Celexa 2mg and tapered slowly to 0,05 over a year with a liquid formulation. Jumped off and crashed horribly again! 

Am now at 0,00125. Will taper slowly down to an almost non-existing dosage and then either jump off or keep going lower and lower and lower until...

As of July 29th 2019 I am med free and just fine. I jumped off at 1/1000 mg. 

As of July 7th 2020 I am feeling great and just here for a check in. 

Current dose: 0,000.

Karen-- congratulations on being off for a year now, well done.  Thank you for dropping in and adding your success story we really appreciate it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• ChessieCat changed the title to KarenRose: I successfully came off after years of trying

Brassmonkey,

Thank you so much for saying this and for all the help you've given me over the years. It truly is a gift.

I am glad my story gets to be read and hope it may inspire someone someday.

All the best,

Karin

Began Paxil in 2003 plus Trazodone to sleep. Tapered off as per doctor's suggestion in less than two months i.e. CT. Got zapped and depressed/anxious worse than before.

Got on Cymbalta in 2005. Cross tapered to 20mg lexapro from 2005, Tapered off fast/CT and took amino acids, total crash.

Erfa thyroid and organic paleo food, lots of healthy fat, no gluten/dairy. Depression lifted.

Tapered off Lexapro from 45 mg since March 2015. Came off Lexapro fully  in summer of 2016. Reinstated at 1mg.

Switched to Celexa 2mg and tapered slowly to 0,05 over a year with a liquid formulation. Jumped off and crashed horribly again! 

Am now at 0,00125. Will taper slowly down to an almost non-existing dosage and then either jump off or keep going lower and lower and lower until...

• Mentor

congratulations!!!
so glad you made it here!!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Mentor

Amazing to hear! Great work :) All the best in your future! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Karen, congrats! I just wanted to know your experience when you jumped off July 2019 what your withdrawal experience was like? The first 3 months, 6 months, to now? I read your original story which is similar to mine. Started on one med, switched over to another, poop out, fast taper, switched, horrible wd symptoms, etc. Now I am on 20mg Lexapro AND 10mg Paxil. Currently slow tapering the Paxil first and using my mg digital scale for preciseness. But wanted some assurance that going the slow route my withdrawals will not be as harsh as all the other horrible withdrawal experience I already experienced. My last horrible withdrawal experience happened 3 months ago. My doc switched me to liquid form, and the liquid form did not work well for me. Doc told me to stick it out, and I did. Then we switched back to tablets, then liquid, then back to tablet. It was a mess! Of all the past experiences, that was the worst of them all. I had to be off work and filed for disability. Now, I am stable eating a clean Paleo diet, back at work, and do a redo. At that time I successfully tapered down to 16mg Paxil. The whole switching back and forth put me in a tailspin, and I had to up dose and start over. 

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

September 2020 on Lexapro 20mg and Paxil 9mg. 

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

Jan 2021 Lexapro 20mg Paxil 8.6mg

Mar 2021 Lexapro 18mg Paxil 8.8mg

May 2021 Prozac Bridge Attempt.

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:52 AM, Cocopuffz17 said:

Thank you so much, Cocopuffz!! And all the best to you, too!

13 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Hi Karen, congrats! I just wanted to know your experience when you jumped off July 2019 what your withdrawal experience was like? The first 3 months, 6 months, to now? I read your original story which is similar to mine. Started on one med, switched over to another, poop out, fast taper, switched, horrible wd symptoms, etc. Now I am on 20mg Lexapro AND 10mg Paxil. Currently slow tapering the Paxil first and using my mg digital scale for preciseness. But wanted some assurance that going the slow route my withdrawals will not be as harsh as all the other horrible withdrawal experience I already experienced. My last horrible withdrawal experience happened 3 months ago. My doc switched me to liquid form, and the liquid form did not work well for me. Doc told me to stick it out, and I did. Then we switched back to tablets, then liquid, then back to tablet. It was a mess! Of all the past experiences, that was the worst of them all. I had to be off work and filed for disability. Now, I am stable eating a clean Paleo diet, back at work, and do a redo. At that time I successfully tapered down to 16mg Paxil. The whole switching back and forth put me in a tailspin, and I had to up dose and start over. 

14 hours ago, DiscJockey said:

Hi DiscJockey!

I am happy to help and deeply relate to what you are going through. From my experience I can absolutely validate your hope that going more slowly will be less harsh! Of course, every body and soul is different, but in my experience going ULTRA slow and low was the one thing that got me off meds in the end. I have also switched, updosed, cold turkeyed and all the rest. None of it was good for me. 

When I did finally jump off it was not hard at all. I had no symptoms after I jumped. And I am saying this as someone who was debilitated for 3-6 months earlier when I tried to jump off at dosages other people said were low. I did have some waves later, but they were and are minimal and I am back living my life.

What made this possible was waiting to "jump" until I was SURE that the last few cuts had been unnoticeable and withdrawal symptom-free. I sometime felt ridiculous measuring out my almost non-dosage in lots of water. But if we go with the metaphor of jumping, in the end I just made sure that I was very close to the ground and there was no real jump, there was just reaching stepping onto the ground. I learned to listen to myself, not doctors, not other people's withdrawals (although these were all important), but my body.

I support your redo and going slowly and listening to your body's own pace and reactions, not someone's schedule. 

All the best to you. 

Karen

On 7/13/2020 at 8:11 AM, Happy2Heal said:

congratulations!!!
so glad you made it here!!

Thank you so much for your help and support!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Karen! This is a great story! Thank you for sharing. 

I was wondering, how did you go about getting a hold of the medicine in order to taper off in such small micro doses? 

Zoloft: 2013- 2015, 50mg; 2016- 2016, 100mg; 2017- 2017, 250mg

Prozac: 2018- 2019, 40mg; 2019- Christmas 2020, 80mg tapered down to 0mg over the course of 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 11/19/2020 at 9:35 PM, Hartattack said:

Hi Karen! This is a great story! Thank you for sharing. 

I was wondering, how did you go about getting a hold of the medicine in order to taper off in such small micro doses? 

@HartattackPlease start an introduction thread for yourself. That way moderators can assist you in your taper. This not only will help you get started right away in your taper, it will also keep Karenrose's topic from going off track. You can start an Intro here:

Introductions and Updates

• 1 year later...

@KarenRose

Congratulations on your success! 

Thank you for sharing your success story. It's helpful to read and gives so much hope. 

It's been a while. How are you doing these days?

If you ever feel like posting an update it would be great to hear how you're feeling.

All the best to you,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Hi everyone,

Thank you, Ariel, for asking me for an update. I remember how much I needed to read the positive stories from people who came off successfully, when I was tapering and suffering and tapering and suffering. 

Well, my message to you is that I am doing really well. I don't think I've ever felt better. My creativity and relationships have blossomed. And the best news is that the depression I took medication for in the first place is gone. I think it has to do with all the lifestyle changes and work I did on myself when I was coming off. 

This is a highly individual journey - I know - but what worked for me was truly listening to my body and psyche and taking my TIME to taper slowly and right. I didn't follow a schedule, and I just kept lowering the dosages using water and the best math I could muster at the time. (I got the liquid solution of my medication at a compounding pharmacy - not even in my own country but in the UK and USA.) 

I commend everyone all of us for walking this path and I encourage everyone to keep going. You can do this. 

Thank you for this forum. It literally saved my life. 

With love, hope and support,

Karen

Hi @KarenRose

Fantastic to read your update!

Thank you so much for coming back to let us know how things are. 

I'm delighted to hear how well you're doing. It sounds like you are thriving.

Congratulations on all the hard work that has cultivated this current blossoming. Well done, gardener!

Thank you for the encouragement, inspiration, and support. I am sure your good news will give hope to many.

Wishing you a delicious summer <3

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Thank you so much, Ariel! And the same to you!!