Patti2057

Hello. I have been on antidepressants since the late 1980’s. My first, for severe panic and anxiety, was Nardil. I was switched after three or so years to Paxil. Paxil gave me a movement disorder so I was then changed to Effexor around 1992 and Bupropion was added around 2000. On was on those two for the next eighteen years. In November of 2018 I thought I was starting to have movement disorder symptoms again which frightened me so much that I discontinued both medications abruptly, unaware of the consequences (Effexor 150 mg, Bupropion 100mg). This (Neurologist now calling it a severe Akathisia) went on for five months with no reinstatement of antidepressants during which time I also quit drinking alcohol thinking it might be a contributing factor. The movements resolved and stopped completely in April 2019. However, I then developed dizziness that is more of a swaying and am still suffering with this 14 months later. Some days it can be quite debilitating. As you can well assume, I have had everything tested medically and all are negative for anything that could be a cause or a concern. I still wonder if this is withdrawal, if there is anything I could do or try and if I will still heal? Oh, and I am 63. 

Thank you for reading. Any feedback is greatly welcome. 

Edited by Gridley

Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

Gridley

Welcome to SA, Patti2057.

Since you've had everything checked out medically, it sounds like this is withdrawal. New symptoms can crop up all along the way to recovery, sometimes quite delayed, and dizziness is a common withdrawal symptom.  Yes, you will heal, but unfortunately we can't give you a timeline as to when that will happen. It's a very encouraging sign that the movement disorder resolved, indicating that, ever so slowly, you are healing.  Does the dizziness come and go or is it fairly constant?

This link offers some suggestions for dealing with dizziness.  You can also Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org dizziness" for more threads on dizziness.

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying ...

This post also contains some suggestions:

"Being still and relaxing, limiting movement. I won't take anything for it because for me it came from WD so I doubted anything would work with WD as the reason behind it. Minimizing all stress to my body helped me because it got worse as I taxed my system with walking, motion, things that are normal for the CNS to handle but now are taxing it. In fact, I discovered that taxing it in any way would increase the symptoms. If I had to do stuff, I would do them when I felt best but realize that after I would revert quickly to the state of dizziness and no balance. Early on in my WD the best time was the morning. Now, right after waking up can be rough due to tremors, but once the tremors settle is a good time though also afternoon.

It's like a balancing act in my experience. Taxing my body in any way, and by taxing I mean basic things that used to be done without thought and would never have been considered demanding, added to these symptoms making them worse. The more rest I got the more they improved. Lack of sleep made them especially worse. Stress of any kind made them worse. So basically baby yourself through it. That's what worked for me the most."

---

So that you have a better understanding of withdrawal, including protracted withdrawal,  and the healing process, here are some relevant links.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Lorazepam 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, soon reinstated.  CT 2000. RI 1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept. 2016  0.625mg X 3

Nov.27, 2020 Begin 6-week Ativan-Valium crossover.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 15mg.  Aug 2016, discovered SA, updosed to 25mg and holding.  Taper is 66% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Patti2057: introduction
Patti2057
Posted (edited)

Thank you for your response and encouraging words. That is a tremendous help on its own. Unfortunately, the swaying is pretty much constant although I’ve had a random day here and there where I don’t notice it;  not too often though. And, as with the piece you included, taxing/stress makes it worse. I have to learn to accept that this truly is withdrawal...unbelievable as it is.  

I am so pleased to have found this amazing resource and support group. Thank you for all you do. 

Patti 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

Paxil ?-1998

• 4 months later...

PPPD

As a recap I quit Venlafaxine and Bupropion in November 2018 without a proper taper. I have suffered for more than a year and a half with “vertigo” which my Neurologist is now calling PPPD. I am miserable and discouraged and losing hope that I will heal and this will go away. Of course the treatment for PPPD is antidepressants and since I have not tolerated SSRIs well in the past, she recommended trying a tricyclic. I really don’t want to start any type of psych drug again however, my quality of life is very poor due to the dizziness. Any advice or thoughts please? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Paxil ?-1998

ChessieCat

Please create your drug signature which will allow us to see your history at a glance.  Follow these instructions.  Please include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

NEW!!!              INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

REMINDER TO SELF:  I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

manymoretodays

Hi Patti2057,

So PPPD- which stands for persistent, postural- perceptual, dizziness?

And this developed 5 months after a rapid discontinuation of Venlafaxine and Buproprion?

3 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Of course the treatment for PPPD is antidepressants and since I have not tolerated SSRIs well in the past, she recommended trying a tricyclic. I really don’t want to start any type of psych drug again however, my quality of life is very poor due to the dizziness. Any advice or thoughts please? 

I am glad that the severe akathisia that you developed while in acute withdrawal at first, resolved.  I did see where you mentioned a movement disorder as an adverse reaction to Paxil too.

Do you have any other symptoms that you would attribute to WD(withdrawal) now?

Are you able to do any non-drug practices, or coping?  Things like meditation, mindfulness, relaxation exercises,  deep breathing, some regular, gentle exercise?  Even things you could do, while it might still be hard to leave your bed very often.  I've seen chair aerobics and Yoga on youtube. 

I wouldn't either, want to start any AD(antidepressant) drug now.......even if it was not an SSRI.   

Is there anything that you have identified that helps.

So now, 18 months out from any medications?  I'd sure be expecting some more natural healing, sometimes time can really help.  18 months out after all those years isn't all that long, here in WD land.

Oh and I do feel for you.  It sounds very hard and probably often very lonely.

Do give a try at the signature, that Ccat asked for above.

You might venture into the Finding Meaning forum as well.  Hoping you can find something inspirational or helpful there to connect to.  As well as to other members here.  Don't be shy.  Sometimes just reading another's introduction, and then giving encouragement and support helps with your own.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
formatting

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Hi again Patti2057,  @Patti2057

15 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Paxil ?-1998

This ^ looks good.   I found it posted in a reply, in the Signature topic though.

The first post in that topic has the information and instructions about signatures.  The signatures are the section that you'll see below other members posts and helps people understand your context when you post.

Now, if you go to AccountSettings/signature you should be able to type the above in there.  Don't forget to hit the Save button at the end.

From a PC, you can also go to your user name, at the top right of your screen.  Click/tick on it and a drop down menu appears.  You'll see "settings" in bold, and "Account Settings" below that.  Click/tick on "Account Settings" and then over on the left you'll see "signature" again, where you click/tick and that will take you there as well.

Let me know if you have any further difficulty with this.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Also, if you scroll up in your topic, you'll see the link to dizziness, vertigo.......in Gridley's post to you last July.  And then there may be further comments, right here, on your current concerns too, so keep checking back.  This is your main Introduction page, and a good place to ask questions, connect with other members, and keep us updated.

Edited by manymoretodays

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal ,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once(Provigil,) Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic  2016 December 9- completely off all medications!!!!!

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= 1800 mg/day. Magnesium complex, orally, diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C, D3, and E.  B12, melatonin tapered to 1mg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=400 mcg plus daily spinach. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

manymoretodays

And adding in another link for you to look at Patti2057

Dysautonomia(autonomic dysregulation) -POTS, syncope, etc.

this may help explain what is going on with you now a bit more

And we do see this often with withdrawal syndrome

Please keep your eye or thoughts on the light at the end of the tunnel too.  Healing.  It happens.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

**** and excellent, I now see your signature in place!

Edited by manymoretodays

Patti2057

Thank you. I have been reading a lot of the posts you recommended and am finding inspiration from the stories of others who are (sadly) experiencing similar emotional feelings. 

I have redone the Signature and hopefully saved it to the proper place this time. If not, please let me know. 

Paxil ?-1998