Patti2057: Still suffering 26 months AD free

Patti2057

Hello. I have been on antidepressants since the late 1980’s. My first, for severe panic and anxiety, was Nardil. I was switched after three or so years to Paxil. Paxil gave me a movement disorder so I was then changed to Effexor around 1992 and Bupropion was added around 2000. On was on those two for the next eighteen years. In November of 2018 I thought I was starting to have movement disorder symptoms again which frightened me so much that I discontinued both medications abruptly, unaware of the consequences (Effexor 150 mg, Bupropion 100mg). This (Neurologist now calling it a severe Akathisia) went on for five months with no reinstatement of antidepressants during which time I also quit drinking alcohol thinking it might be a contributing factor. The movements resolved and stopped completely in April 2019. However, I then developed dizziness that is more of a swaying and am still suffering with this 14 months later. Some days it can be quite debilitating. As you can well assume, I have had everything tested medically and all are negative for anything that could be a cause or a concern. I still wonder if this is withdrawal, if there is anything I could do or try and if I will still heal? Oh, and I am 63. 

Thank you for reading. Any feedback is greatly welcome. 

Edited by Gridley

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Patti2057.

Since you've had everything checked out medically, it sounds like this is withdrawal. New symptoms can crop up all along the way to recovery, sometimes quite delayed, and dizziness is a common withdrawal symptom.  Yes, you will heal, but unfortunately we can't give you a timeline as to when that will happen. It's a very encouraging sign that the movement disorder resolved, indicating that, ever so slowly, you are healing.  Does the dizziness come and go or is it fairly constant?

This link offers some suggestions for dealing with dizziness.  You can also Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org dizziness" for more threads on dizziness.

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying ...

This post also contains some suggestions:

"Being still and relaxing, limiting movement. I won't take anything for it because for me it came from WD so I doubted anything would work with WD as the reason behind it. Minimizing all stress to my body helped me because it got worse as I taxed my system with walking, motion, things that are normal for the CNS to handle but now are taxing it. In fact, I discovered that taxing it in any way would increase the symptoms. If I had to do stuff, I would do them when I felt best but realize that after I would revert quickly to the state of dizziness and no balance. Early on in my WD the best time was the morning. Now, right after waking up can be rough due to tremors, but once the tremors settle is a good time though also afternoon.

It's like a balancing act in my experience. Taxing my body in any way, and by taxing I mean basic things that used to be done without thought and would never have been considered demanding, added to these symptoms making them worse. The more rest I got the more they improved. Lack of sleep made them especially worse. Stress of any kind made them worse. So basically baby yourself through it. That's what worked for me the most."

---

So that you have a better understanding of withdrawal, including protracted withdrawal,  and the healing process, here are some relevant links.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Patti2057: introduction

Thank you for your response and encouraging words. That is a tremendous help on its own. Unfortunately, the swaying is pretty much constant although I’ve had a random day here and there where I don’t notice it;  not too often though. And, as with the piece you included, taxing/stress makes it worse. I have to learn to accept that this truly is withdrawal...unbelievable as it is.  

I am so pleased to have found this amazing resource and support group. Thank you for all you do. 

Patti 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

• 4 months later...

PPPD

As a recap I quit Venlafaxine and Bupropion in November 2018 without a proper taper. I have suffered for more than a year and a half with “vertigo” which my Neurologist is now calling PPPD. I am miserable and discouraged and losing hope that I will heal and this will go away. Of course the treatment for PPPD is antidepressants and since I have not tolerated SSRIs well in the past, she recommended trying a tricyclic. I really don’t want to start any type of psych drug again however, my quality of life is very poor due to the dizziness. Any advice or thoughts please? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature which will allow us to see your history at a glance.  Follow these instructions.  Please include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patti2057,

So PPPD- which stands for persistent, postural- perceptual, dizziness?

And this developed 5 months after a rapid discontinuation of Venlafaxine and Buproprion?

3 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Of course the treatment for PPPD is antidepressants and since I have not tolerated SSRIs well in the past, she recommended trying a tricyclic. I really don’t want to start any type of psych drug again however, my quality of life is very poor due to the dizziness. Any advice or thoughts please? 

I am glad that the severe akathisia that you developed while in acute withdrawal at first, resolved.  I did see where you mentioned a movement disorder as an adverse reaction to Paxil too.

Do you have any other symptoms that you would attribute to WD(withdrawal) now?

Are you able to do any non-drug practices, or coping?  Things like meditation, mindfulness, relaxation exercises,  deep breathing, some regular, gentle exercise?  Even things you could do, while it might still be hard to leave your bed very often.  I've seen chair aerobics and Yoga on youtube. 

I wouldn't either, want to start any AD(antidepressant) drug now.......even if it was not an SSRI.   

Is there anything that you have identified that helps.

So now, 18 months out from any medications?  I'd sure be expecting some more natural healing, sometimes time can really help.  18 months out after all those years isn't all that long, here in WD land.

Oh and I do feel for you.  It sounds very hard and probably often very lonely.

Do give a try at the signature, that Ccat asked for above.

You might venture into the Finding Meaning forum as well.  Hoping you can find something inspirational or helpful there to connect to.  As well as to other members here.  Don't be shy.  Sometimes just reading another's introduction, and then giving encouragement and support helps with your own.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
formatting

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Patti2057,  @Patti2057

15 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Paxil ?-1998

This ^ looks good.   I found it posted in a reply, in the Signature topic though.

The first post in that topic has the information and instructions about signatures.  The signatures are the section that you'll see below other members posts and helps people understand your context when you post.

Now, if you go to AccountSettings/signature you should be able to type the above in there.  Don't forget to hit the Save button at the end.

From a PC, you can also go to your user name, at the top right of your screen.  Click/tick on it and a drop down menu appears.  You'll see "settings" in bold, and "Account Settings" below that.  Click/tick on "Account Settings" and then over on the left you'll see "signature" again, where you click/tick and that will take you there as well.

Let me know if you have any further difficulty with this.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Also, if you scroll up in your topic, you'll see the link to dizziness, vertigo.......in Gridley's post to you last July.  And then there may be further comments, right here, on your current concerns too, so keep checking back.  This is your main Introduction page, and a good place to ask questions, connect with other members, and keep us updated.

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

And adding in another link for you to look at Patti2057

Dysautonomia(autonomic dysregulation) -POTS, syncope, etc.

this may help explain what is going on with you now a bit more

And we do see this often with withdrawal syndrome

Please keep your eye or thoughts on the light at the end of the tunnel too.  Healing.  It happens.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

**** and excellent, I now see your signature in place!

Edited by manymoretodays

Thank you. I have been reading a lot of the posts you recommended and am finding inspiration from the stories of others who are (sadly) experiencing similar emotional feelings. 

I have redone the Signature and hopefully saved it to the proper place this time. If not, please let me know. 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• Administrator

Hello, Patti. When was the last time your thyroid medication was adjusted? People get odd symptoms from too much levothyroxine.

Otherwise, dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom. What you might try is a very small amount of fluoxetine, such as 0.25mg (one-quarter milligram). We often see people with prolonged withdrawal symptoms do better when they reinstate a very small* amount of the drug, then taper off very gradually later. (I suggest fluoxetine instead of Effexor because it has a much longer half-life and a very low dose will last through 24 hours.)

* added in by CC

Edited by ChessieCat
added small*

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto! The levothyroxine dose has been the same for many years. My thyroid levels are checked often and they are always within normal parameters. I do have a physical in two weeks so I will bring this up.  

If I were to try the fluoxetine, and it helps, how long would I stay on it before a slow taper?

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• Administrator

Hello, Patti. Depending on its effect, you'd probably stay on that bit of fluoxetine 6 months before you come off.

Please look into adverse effects of acyclovir on drugs. com. Do you have any of them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto! I checked the acyclovir side effects and aside from the “dizziness” I have been suffering with, I do have leg pain. I’ll bring this up when I have my physical. I’ve started the Fluoxetine and have my fingers crossed. I will absolutely keep you apprised regarding this. Thank you for taking time on this for me. 🙏🏻💖🙏🏻

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Patti2057,

Just wondering how it's going since adding the 0.25 mg Prozac?

You can add this to your signature too:  Accounts/signature

Just the date, drug name, and dose.

I hope it's going okay.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you manymoretodays for checking in with me.  Unfortunately, after a few days on the Fluoxetine I began having bad morning anxiety and increased dizziness. Since the Fluoxetine was the only thing different, I am attributing it to that and, so, discontinued the Fluoxetine. I did that three days ago but am still having issues. It’s so unbelievable that I am still experiencing withdrawal after two years off. My overthinking brain can’t help but worry that something else is going on or that I’ve got some sort of permanent damage. 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• 1 month later...

Titled:  So frightened (I reduced all caps, mmt)

I have been off Venlafaxine and Bupropion for 26 months now (improper taper of only two weeks) and still suffering so much. From all I’ve read, it seems I should feel somewhat better? not symptoms that are getting worse and some that are new? Symptoms are:  almost constant dizziness and feeling it much more in my head than I have in the past; leg restlessness when sitting or in bed; heavy tired legs when walking; inability to concentrate and extreme frustration when trying to do so; bright light bothers my eyes/head; morning anxiety that is new, about a month. I am so worried that my brain is not able to heal or that there is something else going on. I have been tested for everything and neurologist says she doesn’t know what else to do. My quality of life is in the garbage and I’m losing hope that things will turn around. 

Edited by manymoretodays
2nd introduction merged to first

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Hi, Patti - first, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having such a long and tough recovery timeline.  That's very disheartening to not see progress, and I pray things improve for you soon ❤️ 

I also wanted to say that yes, what you're experiencing is normal for some people.  New and worsening symptoms feel like setbacks, but are usually (from what I remember of my research, though it's been a while!) your brain "resetting" things. 

A post I once read compared it to renovating a house: at first, the reno is focused on one or two rooms, and the chaos is intense but localized. (Aka, having a few horrible but finite symptoms.)

Then, as those initial projects near completion, the team starts renovating the rest of the rooms. 

Suddenly, the entire house feels chaotic, even more so than before.  It's an absolute mess in there, and it seems like nothing is ever going to get done. This would be waves, or any days when symptoms are at their worst. 

But, in reality, every single room is closer to being finished than it was before - it's just hard to see it under all the construction dust and noise. 

Occasionally, eventually...you'll see little projects getting done: a kitchen sink installed, a clean patch of new flooring....  Things that give you hope.  You start to see glimpses of the progress being made.  These are "windows," days when symptoms will ease up or, sometimes, disappear entirely.

I would say 26 months is long, but not unusual, to go without seeing any windows. Everyone's recovery is different, and the process definitely isn't linear - I often had symptoms get worse just before they'd start to get better, so I hope that's what you're experiencing now too: a little more renovation before improvements start showing.

I'm hesitant to suggest anything, since we're all different (and because your sig says you're still on some medications), but the one thing I recommend everyone talk to their doctor about trying is magnesium. It helped me turn a big corner after two years, and I still take it to this day. 

More than anything, though, I wanted to reassure you that your brain will heal.  I thought mine wouldn't heal either - that it was too damaged from going cold-turkey off my med, that something else had to be wrong with me, that I'd be stuck that way forever....  That's the worst part about withdrawal, in my opinion: the loop it traps you in, thinking you'll never heal - but you will.  ❤️  

-Late 2011: prescribed Abilify, 2.5 mg up to 10 mg over about 3 months, for compulsive hair-pulling (off-label use). CT in Jan. 2012 per advice of psychiatrist. No previous psych problems.
-2012-2016: went from intense, frequent waves and poor windows to, each year, better and longer windows
-May 2016 to March 2019: no symptoms; back to old self completely
-March 2019 to September 2019: Recurrence of anxiety and some wave-like symptoms after Sudafed and nitrofurantoin. 

Update (Jan. 2020): symptoms have not recurred since October! : ) No supplements besides magnesium, 200mg at night. 

Update (Jan. 2021): a few mild recurrences of anxiety last year, but otherwise back to my old self completely. : )  Still taking magnesium, now mostly for general health and wellness.  Considering myself fully recovered, just hypersensitive to some things. 

Hi Train. I hope you will see this.  I don’t see a Reply option in your post so I’ll go this way.  

Thank you for your kind words and your understanding support 💖The House Reno is a wonderful analogy and I will use this from now on in moments of uncertainty. I am grateful that you took a moment to respond to me and gave me some much needed reassurance.  Although we are unique in many ways in our own journey, being able to connect with someone who understands due to their own experience is worth so very much. ‘Thank you’ does not express enough. 
💖Patti 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Train, I forgot to ask, what type of magnesium do you take, please? Thanks!

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

• Moderator Emeritus

@Patti2057

Here's your Introduction topic.  Only one intro per member.  This way your history is kept in one place.

patti2057-introduction

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

11 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Hi Train. I hope you will see this.  I don’t see a Reply option in your post so I’ll go this way.  

Thank you for your kind words and your understanding support 💖The House Reno is a wonderful analogy and I will use this from now on in moments of uncertainty. I am grateful that you took a moment to respond to me and gave me some much needed reassurance.  Although we are unique in many ways in our own journey, being able to connect with someone who understands due to their own experience is worth so very much. ‘Thank you’ does not express enough. 
💖Patti 

No problem at all! Reading your post took me right back to those days; I remember how scary it is when no doctor can give you answers, and when you feel hopeless thinking healing is impossible.

Healing can be ugly, and horribly slow, and even worse at times than the original conditions that got us put on those drugs - but the one thing it's not, is impossible :) I'm so glad the reno analogy helps, too!  I've heard lots of similar ones over the years, but that one's always been my favorite visual. Telling myself, "My brain's under construction; it's messy, but stuff is getting done" was definitely a go-to mantra. 

And to answer your question about the magnesium I take, I prefer citrate (200 mg, vitamin shoppe brand; 1 a day now but I used to take 2).  A lot of people prefer glycinate or other kinds because citrate sometimes causes upset stomach, but after some trial and error I realized it was the most easily absorbed/useful for me personally.  Hope that helps!  ❤️ 

-Late 2011: prescribed Abilify, 2.5 mg up to 10 mg over about 3 months, for compulsive hair-pulling (off-label use). CT in Jan. 2012 per advice of psychiatrist. No previous psych problems.
-2012-2016: went from intense, frequent waves and poor windows to, each year, better and longer windows
-May 2016 to March 2019: no symptoms; back to old self completely
-March 2019 to September 2019: Recurrence of anxiety and some wave-like symptoms after Sudafed and nitrofurantoin. 

Update (Jan. 2020): symptoms have not recurred since October! : ) No supplements besides magnesium, 200mg at night. 

Update (Jan. 2021): a few mild recurrences of anxiety last year, but otherwise back to my old self completely. : )  Still taking magnesium, now mostly for general health and wellness.  Considering myself fully recovered, just hypersensitive to some things. 

• Moderator Emeritus

merged Introductions(mmt)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am so discouraged regarding my healing. I am in protracted withdrawal from discontinuing Bupropion and Venlafaxine abruptly in November 2018.The symptom that has been most troublesome and has been almost constant is balance/ dizziness issues since May of 2019; some days I barely function because, when I’m upright I feel like a drunk person and it is very uncomfortable and unnerving.  
This has recently, in the past month, become more head related (dizziness), a sensation I’ve never had before with the “other” dizziness I’ve been suffering from. Along with this new symptom, I’ve also developed pretty intense anxiety that wakes me in the early morning.  I cannot understand why I continue to feel worse the further out I get...I am petrified that healing isn’t happening and I’m going to be stuck in this hell forever. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🏻💖Patti 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Anyone please?

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

You may want to get checked for autonomic dysfunction that may cause these symptoms. 

I am almost 2 years into withdrawal, and I have been dealing with orthostatic intolerance (dizziness, brain fog, blurry vision, HR, BP fluctuations etc.), temperature intolerance (too hot/cold), and IBS. I also have the morning anxiety that wakes me up around 4-4:30 and stays through the day.  My sleep also has gotten worse since last April, and I now average 5-6 hrs in multiple blocks, with rarely a continuous night of sleep.

I read up on dysautonomia/POTS and started following their regimen to deal with these symptoms.  Mainly ensure that you are well hydrated (48-64oz of water/electrolytes), take frequent breaks from standing, get more exercise (you can do restorative yoga, rowing etc. that doesn't involve standing). Some may need compression stockings, abdominal compression bands etc.. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

Thanks for responding. Did you go to a doctor about the dysautonomia?

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

39 minutes ago, Patti2057 said:

Thanks for responding. Did you go to a doctor about the dysautonomia?

I have an appointment next month. It was a 5 month wait.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

Wow! I hope you get some answers. I know I’ve had BP checked in different positions and there wasn’t much of a fluctuation so I don’t know if that could be the cause of the dizziness. 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

I second what tsranga said, personally I developed an autoimmune disease (in my cause a thyroid issue) as well as other health conditions because of the stress of withdrawal. Treating those issues helped me feel a bit better. IMO it’s very important to do blood work/ other medical test to discard other issues because many times people can develop other health conditions during withdrawal that can’t just be “waited out” because they may require treatment or lifestyle modifications. 

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

Thank you Istm. I have had bloodwork done many many times over the past two years along with extensive testing for anything else my neurologist could think of, all being negative. I don’t know if there are specific tests for dysautonomia? 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

3 hours ago, Patti2057 said:

Thank you Istm. I have had bloodwork done many many times over the past two years along with extensive testing for anything else my neurologist could think of, all being negative. I don’t know if there are specific tests for dysautonomia? 

You don't have to have BP or HR fluctuations to feel dizzy, but to be diagnosed with a specific form of dysautonomia, you have to meet certain criteria  - HR varying by 30bps and BP varying by 20 (for systolic) and 10 (for diastolic) between supine and standing postures.

In most cases of people like us who developed Autonomic dysfunction in withdrawal, our values will most likely not be bad enough to fall into a category.

I am using this appointment to rule out anything that I may have missed, and in general to educate myself in building the right tools to cope with it.

For more information, see -

http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/page.php?ID=36

Chronic IBS since 1990

tsranga thank you. That’s helpful info. I don’t think I fluctuate that much but I understand what you say about ours’ being that way. I’ve messaged my neurologist to find out her opinion on my getting tested. 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

As I was reading on here yesterday I saw mentioned somewhere that Alto had suffered with this. Anyone know where I might find that thread? Has she recovered from it🤞🏻?

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

@Patti2057

Hello There

just wanted to post and say I know exactly how you feel. 
i have also had the swaying boat feeling for over 7 months continuous. 
I have found some days it is worse than others and stress definitely intensifies it. People describe it differently snd it does seem to be quite a common symptom especially on the Benzo Buddies site. 
There is no medication that will help I think it’s a part of WD and something only time and healing will help to resolve. 
Like you the sensations seem to be in my head mainly but it also affects my legs because when the floaty boat sensation is bad I feel as if I am going to tilt and fall so my legs are rigid trying to hold me still even though in reality I’m not moving . Exactly like being out to sea on a boat when the waves are causing movement. Is this like yours? 
im still tapering and from what I’ve read doing a CT or tapering doesn’t seem to make any difference if your predisposed to getting this condition during WD then that’s the way it will be. Horrible as it is. 
ive also had all the tests and a brain scan and all came back normal. I believe if I don’t interfere by adding different meds to try and help and just leave Mother Nature to do her thing that at some stage it will resolve. 
I know two years with this condition seems a long time but in the land of WD it’s not really. And it could very well be that one day we wake up and it has gone. This could happen at anytime. After all it came on very suddenly so it could leave the same .. 
we are round about the same age you and I and have also been on meds for years and with the floaty boat we seem to have a lot in common! 
we are travelling the same road so if you need a buddy I’m here 😊

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

Hello Long😊

Thank you so very much for your kind response. I feel so alone in this which compounds the symptoms I’m sure. Hearing from you that you are going through very much the same as I am is a sad relief; sad because you are going through this but a relief that you can validate that this is WD. 
I also have leg issues. Sometimes they even ache as if I exercised too long because, as you described, they are trying to keep me still on the floaty boat. I am also experiencing increased anxiety as of late which, of course, adds to the dizziness. 
I admire the positivity you have about this, something I am lacking at this point. I read in another post that, “One more day is one more day closer to healing”. I pray that is true for myself, for you, for us all. And Yes, I welcome you as a buddy to travel this road with💖

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

The feeling of loneliness and being scared can be overwhelming at times I do understand but the very fact we both have the same symptom (as well as lots of others) and all tests showing nothing untoward means the likelihood of it being WD is practically a given. 
When  I ruminate and get anxious the dizziness exacerbates. Some days it’s extremely bad other days it very manageable. 
Have you monitored your symptoms ? I have over the last two months snd I find it very helpful as I can see that I have better days. If I didn’t monitor then I wouldn’t be able to tell . I do a traffic light system red for severe amber for moderate snd green for mild so at a glance I can see a bit of a window snd wave pattern going on despite the fact for many months I felt  I had no windows . If you feel you don’t have windows please give it a try.
I have lots of other symptoms but this is the one I REALLY dislike 👎 

please try not to worry too much you have other symptoms which should also clarify you are still in WD and your body is still working hard to heal.  

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate