Shishacoda

Not being able to describe how you feel - Is it Detachment, Depersonalization, Derealization

Shishacoda

Good day everyone.
My wife has a hard time describing how she feels from an emotional standpoint, and a physical one as well. 

For instance, she will describe most discomfort as "pain". However to elaborate on the severity or how exactly it manifests itself (ie: shooting pain down through the left side towards the bellybutton).

When it comes to emotional things, she won't have an original thought (if it was, it would be very superficial or simple), but would latch onto a suggestion provided by her. So if I was to suggest a reason for the reason she would be experiencing sadness, she would say yes it is probably that or I don't know.

I feel like she is oblivious to what is happening inside of her.
This is quite frustrating because I want her to take more ownership and car of herself, but she is unable to effectively describe what is going on to the people who treat her.

Anyways, I don't fault her, it's probably an effect of the medication or it's just the way she is. 
However I ask if anyone else experiences this, or if there is a better name for it. 
She doesn't express that she is outside of her body looking in, or observing herself. She doesn't fit the following quote either.
"Depersonalization-derealization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren't real, or both. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're living in a dream."

I included depersonalize and derealization as words because she seems like it could be succinctly described as detached from herself, however I wouldn't agree with the other descriptors. 
Thanks everyone.

Onmyway
44 minutes ago, Shishacoda said:

Good day everyone.
My wife has a hard time describing how she feels from an emotional standpoint, and a physical one as well. 

For instance, she will describe most discomfort as "pain". However to elaborate on the severity or how exactly it manifests itself (ie: shooting pain down through the left side towards the bellybutton).

When it comes to emotional things, she won't have an original thought (if it was, it would be very superficial or simple), but would latch onto a suggestion provided by her. So if I was to suggest a reason for the reason she would be experiencing sadness, she would say yes it is probably that or I don't know.

I feel like she is oblivious to what is happening inside of her.
This is quite frustrating because I want her to take more ownership and car of herself, but she is unable to effectively describe what is going on to the people who treat her.

Anyways, I don't fault her, it's probably an effect of the medication or it's just the way she is. 
However I ask if anyone else experiences this, or if there is a better name for it. 
She doesn't express that she is outside of her body looking in, or observing herself. She doesn't fit the following quote either.
"Depersonalization-derealization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren't real, or both. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're living in a dream."

I included depersonalize and derealization as words because she seems like it could be succinctly described as detached from herself, however I wouldn't agree with the other descriptors. 
Thanks everyone.

I find your message extremely disrespectful to your wife and to women in general. The issue seems not in her ability to describe (she is in pain) but in your inability to trust and accept it. You probably haven't felt the way she is feeling. WD feelings have been unique for me. Also, no one owes you an explanation.

Your description of your wife as not having an original thought or as being oblivious to how she is feeling is incredibly offensive. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg ,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months (don't remember dates), trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up), occasionally did this in difficult times 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax/day, then 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week, April  14 , 2019 - citalopram 1.8 mg (liquid), May 8, 2019 - citalopram 1.6 mg (liquid),  July 27, 2019 - citalopram 1.5 mg (liquid),  August 15, 2019 - citalopram 1.35 (liquid)

supplements:  melatonin 1 mg  

Shishacoda
7 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

I find your message extremely disrespectful to your wife and to women in general. The issue seems not in her ability to describe (she is in pain) but in your inability to trust and accept it. You probably haven't felt the way she is feeling. WD feelings have been unique for me. Also, no one owes you an explanation.

Your description of your wife as not having an original thought or as being oblivious to how she is feeling is incredibly offensive. 

I understand nobody owes me an explanation, that's why I'm asking on a forum, in a general sense to those who are willing. 
I definitely haven't experienced anything close to what she is experiencing, I agree! 
If you re-read my post, this is in direct context to "describing how she feels". She has plenty of ideas, original thoughts, and many strengths in other areas. 

I guess I wasn't descriptive enough in the body, but my end goal of this post was to determine if there was a specific phenomena (somewhat related to what I listed in the title) that people experienced where it was exclusively having a hard time describing what is happening to within and to yourself.

Thanks!

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)

@Shishacoda

Peter Breggin's book is called "Your Drug May Be Your Problem".  The title says a lot.

Edited by ChessieCat

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Shishacoda
13 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

@Shishacoda

Peter Breggin's book is called "Your Drug May Be Your Problem".  The title says a lot.

Thanks Chessie. I have read Breggin's "Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal", so I am familiar with some of the terms. I will check out that literature as well.
Would you view what I'm describing as a general type of anosognia?
She doesn't deny her illness or her symptoms, but the definition of "lack of insight" about herself really fits in here.