Sign in to follow this  
Webhead21

Root canal do I take the antibiotics ?

Webhead21

I'm scared to take the antibiotics because I don't want to get sick again. What should I do, what my next step?

UnfoldingSky

I'm in the same situation, I need a root canal and they want me to take ABs too. I'd like to know what to do as well! 

ChessieCat

One suggestion I would make is to get the injection which does not have adrenaline in it.  I've had dental treatment with both types and there is a huge difference in how I have felt.  When given the adrenaline injection I spend the whole time in the chair trying to calm myself down.  With the non-adrenaline injection I have felt very calm, still having to use coping techniques but not having to "fight" down the anxiety caused by the adrenaline.  The injection does not last as long but if you have a good dentist they will know how/what to do and know and can always give a "top up" if needed.

Regarding the antibiotics I had to take a course when I had a tooth extracted 2 years ago because there was a major infection.  I was tapering and was fine.  My symptoms may have increased a bit for a short time.

HOWEVER, when they clean out the canals they put something in the tooth and then put a temporary filling over it.

I have quite a few root canals done and I only ever had to take antibiotics AFTER I got an infection.  The ironic thing was that the dentist had said to me at the time of the initial treatment that whatever he was putting in would kill all the infection.

So if you are concerned about the antibiotics then check with the dentist about what they put in the tooth and if he confirms that it should stop the infection then you could always accept the script and only take them if required.

UnfoldingSky

Chessie were they injecting you with an antibiotic? Because I've heard they can do that, inject at the site of the tooth. 

Also they want me to take ABs before I have the root canal done.  What are they asking you to do Webhead, AB before or after treatment?  They may not even treat me if I don't take them so I don't know what to do.  Except maybe claim I took them and not take them lol

ChessieCat
3 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Chessie were they injecting you with an antibiotic? Because I've heard they can do that, inject at the site of the tooth. 

I don't know what it was.  It was put inside the tooth after they did the first root canal treatment.

Possibly the reason they want you to take the AB before treatment is that they might be thinking that the AB will clear up the infection and you won't need the root canal treatment.

If it was me I'd be discussing it with the dentist.