Libra25: advice on tapering when in tolerance

Libra25

I'm desperate for help and advice. I've been in protracted withdrawals for almost 4 years caused by Effexor. Doctors tried to cover up the withdrawls with different drugs which made it worse. I reinstated Effexor after being drug free for 6 months as the wd were unbearable (I didn't know at the time that it was to late to reinstate) I managed to stabilize a bit but it also made things worse. After the reinstatement I became hyperactive, developed akathisia and became suicidal.

I'm at 14 mg now but I've hit tolerance. I'm dreading every time I take the dose cause I start to hallucinate when the drug kicks in. Any advice of what to do would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks in advance. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Libra25: advice on tapering when in tolerance
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Libra and welcome to SA,

When did the hallucinations start?

Are you taking any other drugs?

To help us out please create your drug signature.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have more information we will be better able to assist.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Libra25 I’m following up with Chessie’s last post. Could you update your signature with your medication history? This helps us to get a better understanding of dosage changes so that we can help you. 

I’m sorry you are experiencing hallucinations when you take the drug. Perhaps you can share more about the current symptoms you experience. 

Here is a thread in hallucinations / sleep-state issues:

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Libra,

It would be good if you could provide us with more information please.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management