Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Nomansland said:

would be little more cautious and grind the tablets as fine as possible and transfer all into the bottle/container by washing the mortar multiple times with the suspension agent

I think I have seen a post where a member put parchment paper in the bottom of the mortar/bowl.

Found it:

On 9/27/2021 at 12:08 AM, bubbles said:

I crush the tablets first and add them in powdered form. I bought a mortar and pestle especially for this purpose and I line it with baking paper (I think Americans call it parchment paper). The paper helps me to make sure get all of the powdered tablet when I transfer to the suspension bottle.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you very much for your search @ChessieCat!

I would like to add some more notes/experiences.

I did prepare two samples, one by mortar and pestle according to the formula/video (with making that slurry/paste in the mortar after grinding , grinding again and gradually adding more liquid) and one by dispersing the tablets in water first and add the suspension agent afterwards. The one prepared by grinding in the mortar was a lot finer and more homogenous. 

When i tried to make my own liquid with water only or with water + maple syrup mix in the past, it didn't suit me.

I don't know why. In the past i dispersed it in water without a mortar, for the reason of possible loss of medication. But i also tried to grind it first in the mortar and put the dry powder in the container and then tried to mix it with water or water + maple syrup. Even with a lot of shaking, some parts always seem to floated on top of the liquid and stuck together a bit. Maybe my tablets aren't suited for that.

So I didn't make that paste/slurry first with a tiny bit of liquid, like it is stated in the formulas/video and then add more and more liquid at the time. 

What i want to say is:

To me the step to make a paste/slurry first seems quite crucial. I think there a good reason why you find it in every suspension formula, regardless of the type of medication. From the look of it now, it doesn't seem to float on top and is even finer/more homogenous. Additionally, when you have that slurry/paste, it also helps to grind it even more (wet milling/grinding is often preferred and more efficient to dry grinding).

I used a glass mortar with a spout this time to clearly see if there would be a significant loss of medication by transferring the suspension over to the bottle (by washing it a few times with more suspension agent). To me it looks like almost nothing is left in the mortar when washed carefully

(also, when preparing multiple tablets the possible loss would of course get proportionally less and less).

I know quite some people who taper with water only or water + maple syrup (thats from the facebook group), with and without grinding in a mortar first, so i don't say it doesn't work. Maybe it was just my tablets or something else. But for me it didn't work the way i prepared the liquid in the past.

But now, i really think about trying to switch to liquid again in the future, these professional formulas give me more confidence (right now i always take my weighted powder in a container with water anyway, so it wouldn't be a 'real' change from dry to liquid like when you use capsules). Don't know when yet...

Sorry for the long text! Just want to share my thoughts and maybe it will be helpful for someone.

To be honest i cant imagine a pharmacist will prepare a professional suspension more carefully like we could at home with some more time (and knowing what all could get wrong if we would be careless and not consistent...).

2022 IMPORTANT WITHDRAWAL SURVEY, PLEASE PARTICIPATE: https://uelpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AR9IsQ61jsiXBk

non-native speaker of english

2020: 3-March -> started Mirtazapine 15mg;

3-March to 6-April -> approx. cutting to 0 mg; 6-April to 20-April -> ~ 7,5 mg; 21-April to 31-April -> 15 mg; 1-May to 13-May -> ~ 10 mg (approx.); 15-May to 19-July -> 15 mg (psychosomatic clinic) 19-July -> started taper (scale and file) 14 mg (-6,6%); 08-August -> 12 mg (-14,3 %); 27-August -> 10 mg (-16,6 %); 15-September -> 8 mg (-20 %, bad idea, heavy WD); 23-September -> 10.2 mg (+20 %, 102 mgpw)

2021: 12-April to 12-May -> crossover from solid pill to DIY liquid (water only), 10.2 mg, not stable; 10-September -> back to crushing and weighing, still 10.2 mg (102 mgpw)

2022: 13-March -> changed to DIY liquid with suspension vehicle, 10.2 mg

Supplements: 1 x ~125 mg magnesiumbiglycinate before bed, low histamine diet

Thank you @ChessieCatand @Nomanslandfor all your helpful advice.

I have just had to step away from it for now though because sifting through all the info on this site and making notes on how to approach the mammoth task of tapering actually triggered a wave! A clear sign from my body that I’m not yet ready to even consider tapering just yet. 
When the time comes I will revisit your invaluable comments and no doubt have another question.
Thanks again both! 

Sep 2011 - March 2012 citalopram 50mg

March 2012 - Apr 2012 tapered 50mg citalopram down too fast 

Sep 2013 - Oct 2016 citalopram 30mg 
Oct 2016 - Jan 2017 tapered citalopram 30mg down too fast

Reinstated citalopram 30mg in April 2017

Added mirtazapine 15mg in June 2017  

Jan 2021 - July 2021 tapered citalopram 30mg down too fast

July 2021 - Nov 2021 tapered mirtazapine 15mg down too fast 

Reinstated mirtazapine 15mg in Dec 2021 + Reinstated citalopram 10mg in Feb 2022

FOUND SURVIVING ANTIDEPRESSANTS 

CURRENT DOSES - Citalopram 4.75mg + Mirtazapine 7.5mg

On 2/25/2022 at 4:56 AM, ChessieCat said:

I think I have seen a post where a member put parchment paper in the bottom of the mortar/bowl.

Found it:

I will say that while I get most of the powder in this way, obviously it's not 100%. That said, I think it would be fairly consistent from batch to batch, so I'm not overly concerned. At least, I have had no issues with it. :)

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 3 weeks later...

Can you just use water when liquid titrating remeron when it has a coating?  I tested it and it looked like it dissolved. It took extra few minutes

2017  started elavil 25 mg for sleep

2021.  Stopped taking snd realized I was in withdrawal

2021. Pharmacy switched generic. 
25 mg wasn’t helping for sleep

had to go up to 40 mg to stabilize for withdrawal ,  not working May 2121 rehab put me on klonipin equal to 30 mg of valium

switched to 30 mg of Valium

presently on 81/2 mg Valium and 15 mg of remeron for sleep. I’ve only been on remeron fir 4 months. I’m scared to be on it and I want to know if I can withdraw from it at same time as Valium. I’m not that stable on my dose and having bad withdrawals

May 27 2022 went up to 9 mg Valium to try to stabilize. At first It was t working. I feel a little better but still have high anxiety. Remeron not working as well ever since I went up on my dose of valium. Not sleeping well but my anxiety keeps me from feeling exhausted u til later. Then I burn out. 

• Moderator Emeritus
42 minutes ago, Dhenchey said:

Can you just use water when liquid titrating remeron when it has a coating?  I tested it and it looked like it dissolved. It took extra few minutes

Please carefully read ALL of Post # of this topic:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 1/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, amjad said:

Micro tapering Mirtazapine by Liquid Prep

what is better for weaning Mirtaz  ? MICROTAPERING mirtaz  0.1 mg every day  or cut and hold (10% of last dose every 4 weeks)?

Please read the first post in this topic and Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

You can taper by 10% or micro-taper, according to your preference. Usually, people micro-taper when they find tapering by 10% or 5% per month doesn't work for them because they get withdrawal symptoms from those reductions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys!

I really can't do the liquid as I don't trust myself to be consistent enough, plus my family would have qualms about that, don't ask. Would it be okay to use ground Mirtazapine and fill gelatin capsules with it by using a scale?

Any resources for that, I think I have read the thread well enough but still feel at a loss.

Thanks!

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• Administrator

Just added:

On 4/11/2012 at 1:07 AM, Altostrata said:

Cut up or crush tablets, weigh fragments or powder with a digital scale
In principle, this would be a more precise way of tapering than cutting up tablets:

• Cut up or crush the tablet
  • If crushed, make sure the shell fragments are evenly distributed in the powder
  • Weigh the tablet fragments or powder for a dose with a digital scale
  • If powder, put the powder into an empty gelatin capsule to make it easier to ingest

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Mirtazapine liquid loses potency fast

Hello all, I’m using a pharmacy made mirtazapine liquid that can be used for a month after opening. Now I’m currently in a burnout and super sensitive to meds etc.

so when I open a new bottle I get energized and my head feels like I’m updosing. During the month this slowly fades and I get really tired at the end. Like withdrawal tired.  Then I open a new bottle and the Mary go around starts again.

anyone has similar experiences?

I used the liquid a while when i was healthy and noticed the tired symptom once when it was like 1 day after expiry. (Never let it expire) but now i feel the whole degrading process during the month of use.

thinking of going to tablets to prevent this  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Mirtazapine 7.5mg feb, 2013 - 12 may 2013 - cold turkey

Temazepam 20mg daily feb, 2013 - dec 2014- succes full taper

temazepam 10 mg aug - okt 2017 kindled unkowningly, poly drugged with diazepam 5mg and 7.5mg mirtazapine

diazepam 5mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper

mirtazapine 7.5 mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper, no noticeable WD symptoms during and after taper

taper regime:

7.5 - 2 mg: 0.1 mg dry cut daily

2 - 0 mg: 0.1 mg liquid cut weekly

mirtazapine 7.5mg 2020 - current. Unknowingly where kindling with a liquid solution that was expiring before it shell life (pharmacy grade)

Hi Docc

14 minutes ago, Docc said:

so when I open a new bottle I get energized and my head feels like I’m updosing. During the month this slowly fades and I get really tired at the end. Like withdrawal tired.  Then I open a new bottle and the Mary go around starts again.

I make my own liquid from tablets and I have some observations regarding this. I have found that if I don't keep it in the fridge my reaction to it is more stable. But I am not sure if it is my imagination or not. 

2004: (apr): Citalopram 20 mg, June 60 mg., dec 20 mg

2004 (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg.

2014 (Jun): Citalopram stop cold turkey. Began 10 mg Vortioxetine

2017: (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg ->30 mg (after three day stint on psych ward)

2020: (aug): Vortioxetine 10 mg stopped cold turkey. 

2020 (dec): Mirtazapine 30 mg -> 15 mg (GPs instructions)

2021 (feb): Mirtazapine reinstatement 26,25 mg

2022 (Jan): Mirtazapine (5% taper): 14. Jan 24,9 mg, 6. feb 23,7 mg, 1. marts 22,5 mg, 15. marts 21,3 mg, 2. april 20 mg, 26. april 19. mg, 25. may 18.1 mg, 26 jun 17 mg.

Have always taken fish oil capsules. Do not drink alcohol when tapering. 1 multivitamin pill a day. Try to eat healthy, but impossible on mirtazapine.

• Administrator
On 6/18/2022 at 7:24 AM, Docc said:

As you've said in your Introductions topic that you feel better towards the end of a bottle, your body may be saying that it would prefer 7.0mg rather than the 7.5mg you've been taking.

Over time, our bodies change in the ways they metabolize the drug.

If you notice withdrawal symptoms when the bottle is 90% empty, it doesn't make any sense to continue taking doses from the bottle until your withdrawal symptoms get worse, then endure potential kindling from the stronger doses from a new bottle.

If I were you, I would have 1) reduced my daily dose to 7.0mg -- why take more than is necessary? 2) replaced the bottle of liquid when it was 85% empty, rather than evoke withdrawal symptoms by using the old liquid; 3) if you continue to feel better on a weaker dose towards the end of the bottle, consider tapering it. 

I have just read through this thread and it's highly fascinating to say the least.

I have held my Valium taper while I am researching and looking into the mirt taper.

This information is over whelming I won't lie, but I am really wanting to learn how to do this and get it absolutely correct. Then I can have the confindence and ability to move forwards in control of the taper in the future.

My starting dose was 7.5mg 

now I am at 6mg when the mirt is crushed it weighs 0.060grams=6mgs.

So how would I know the volume of water to use and how would I know what to take out etc.

Thanks in advance pink.

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• Administrator

@brassmonkey can you assist?

First off, your signature is four years out of date, would you please bring it up to your current status.

I'm going to need some more information so we can figure out where you are and how to get where you want to go.

What is the strength of your tablets as listed on the bottle?

What is the average weight of 10 whole tablets?

Is your previous dose of 7.5mg a whole tablet or crushed powder that you weighed out?

The 6mg you are currently taking, is that 0.060 on the readout of the scales when you weigh the powder?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I am needing to move from using a liquid prep of mirtazepine to the tablet form.

I am looking at making my own liquid at home. Initially I am happy to make up the dose every day as I find the liquid prep I’ve been supplied isn’t that stable.

I will be starting at 15 mgs.

My question is can I just use water to make a liquid from the tablet if I’m making it every day (so not requiring storage) or is it necessary to use a suspension? The brand I will be using is Remeron.

TIA

2011 - started 15 mg mirtazepine. 2015- successfully tapered off. 2016 - Reinstated on 3.75mg as a sleep aid. July 2019 - 3.75mg Stopped working, increased to 15 then 22.5mg.Sept 2020 initiated slow liquid taper. Sept 2021 at 7.5mg for 3 months hit very bad withdrawals (also very stressed). Increased dose to 30 for 3 weeks then reduced to 22.5mg3rd Nov - Started magnesium supplement. 3rd Nov - started oestrogen hrt gel. 20th Dec - stopped oestrogen after 3 week taper. Currently still on 22.5mg mirtazepine and oral magnesium. 12/1 started with 1 capsule omega 3 fish oil. 14/ developed very loose motions so stopping the fish oil. 14/2/2022: after 5 months on the same dose decided to restart taper with a 5% cut: 21.4mg mirtazepine. Low histamine diet and magnesium. 14/03 reduced another 5% 20. 25mg 01/05 reduced to 19mg 01/06 reduced to 18.3mg 01/08 reduced to 17.3 mg 01/10 reduced to 16.5mg

• 8 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, Altostrata said:

@brassmonkey can you assist?

Thank you Altostrata.

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, brassmonkey said:

First off, your signature is four years out of date, would you please bring it up to your current status.

I'm going to need some more information so we can figure out where you are and how to get where you want to go.

Is your previous dose of 7.5mg a whole tablet or crushed powder that you weighed out?

The 6mg you are currently taking, is that 0.060 on the readout of the scales when you weigh the powder?

Hi Brass Monkey, thank you for your reply. I am going to go sort my signature now if i can fathom how to do it.

I will go do all that with the tablets now as well and i will get back to you when they are weighed out. Appreciated. 

Pink.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, brassmonkey said:

I have no idea what is happening i have just updated my signature and it said saved but its not showing that it as saved.

My tablets are 15mg pills.

How do i get the average it has been that long i have actually forgot would i  weigh 10 pills separate add the overall weight then divide by 10?i had a friend skype me to help with the mirt,i cannot remember what the weight was oh man i didn't even write the answer down but i did write the answer down for what 7.5mg would weigh and that is 0.075g..

My previous dose is 6mg i crush that and re-capsulate all my tablets.

Yes that is correct the weight of the powder is 0.060g on the read out of the scales when the powder is weighed out.

I hope this helps.

Pink. 

You can either weigh ten tablets individually, add them up and divide by 10, or weight ten tablets all at the same time and divide by ten. That will give the average pill weight.

So what is it we are trying to calculate?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

16 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

You can either weigh ten tablets individually, add them up and divide by 10, or weight ten tablets all at the same time and divide by ten. That will give the average pill weight.

So what is it we are trying to calculate?

To be honest i think i am replying from an old post of mine what i did. So i think i will start again and what i would like some help with if at all possible please.

I have tried to fill out my signature but for some reason it isn't allowing me to write every-thing.I am talking to Shep ,on my thread about it.

What it is i am at 0.052 of the diazepam now and all going fairly smooth, but for such along time i have had a "feeling" to stop tapering the Diazepam and switch to the Mirtazapine, so that the rest of the benzo can cushion some of the Mirt, i understand none of these drugs are easy at all.

I have read around here about tapering the Mirt,i asked Altro ages ago and she did say the Mirtazapine to taper.

I got down from 7.5mg to 6mg in 2019 by using the scale crushing and re-capsuling them.I just can't do cut and hold any more.I have tapered the benzo by micro tapering its taken me 3 years to come down from 4 mg with some really long holds in between its worked. I am literally doing 3% a month with the benzo. I would like to switch drugs.

.What are other peoples input on this when i am so low now on the benzo?

Could i taper the Mirtazapine by using part liquid for the Mirtazapine say 5 mgpw powder and 1ml liquid, so i aren't doing a full switch just a gradual one over time and then do your slide but i would only do 1% a week.None of this is set in stone for me i am just looking at the safest ways possible to slowly start reducing the Mirt.I hope this makes sense and i will look forward to peoples in-put.Thank you.

I weighed 10 pills altogether and it came to 1.466 then i divided by 10 and it came 0.1486

I see no problem with tapering using both liquid and powder. It will just be a bit more complicated. Would you be reducing the powder portion until you are just on the liquid?

Doing a 1% a week Brassmonkey Slide would be a very mild way to taper. A number of other members are doing 1% and it seems to be working well.

20 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

I see no problem with tapering using both liquid and powder. It will just be a bit more complicated. Would you be reducing the powder portion until you are just on the liquid?

Doing a 1% a week Brassmonkey Slide would be a very mild way to taper. A number of other members are doing 1% and it seems to be working well.

Sorry for the late reply for some reason these comments keeps going into junk on my emails.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes i thought about doing a gradual crossover from powder to pills and yes using the powder to reduce.

Or shall i stay on the powder and do the brass monkey slide and when i hit a real low dose say maybe 2/3mg then switch over gradually with liquid.

I would def do 1% a week for me its listening to my body and not going past my threshold of pain, the calendar in this house went out the door in 2020 i have done a symptom based taper.

Just just trying to work out which method would suit me.If the maths is going to be easier with powder i could be swayed for that one as i wouldn't have a clue about liquids but i am always willing to learn.

All told it will be easier to stick with just the powder and do a Brassmonkey Slide until you get to the lower doses, then change over to using liquid. The math is pretty much the same for both liquid and powder, but it gets tricky when you combine the two.

41 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

All told it will be easier to stick with just the powder and do a Brassmonkey Slide until you get to the lower doses, then change over to using liquid. The math is pretty much the same for both liquid and powder, but it gets tricky when you combine the two.

Thanks for being upfront and saying it gets tricky when combing the two.I will go with the Brassmonkey slide and when i get low switch to the liquid.Awesome stuff.

So the tablets i already crush and weigh on a scale and the weight is 0.060g but my dose is 6mg.I know you use the mgpw, mgai so to use this so as not to get confused is it 6mgai and 0.060 mgpw  have i got that correct? then to get the percent do i  put this in the calculator would it be week 1) 6 - 1%=5.94.

week 2)5.94-1%=5.88.

Week 3)5.88 -1%=5.82

week 4)5.82-1%=5.76

2 week hold.

Thank you.

" is it 6mgai and 0.060 mgpw"   should be is it 6mgai and 60mgpw.

This is close, but you have the units of measurement wrong.  The 0.060 would refer to grams (0.060g) and is what you will see on the readout of the scales.  For mgpw it would be 60mgpw. Other than that, everything else is correct.

11 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

" is it 6mgai and 0.060 mgpw"   should be is it 6mgai and 60mgpw.

This is close, but you have the units of measurement wrong.  The 0.060 would refer to grams (0.060g) and is what you will see on the readout of the scales.  For mgpw it would be 60mgpw. Other than that, everything else is correct.

Total progress because YESSS at getting the maths correct that is a huge win for me, for about 6 years i couldn't even comprehend any maths.None., 

I know i got it the wrong way around but oh my goodness it really goes to show how much healing as occurred and actually the extent of the injury before.It is another mile stone in the bag.

I am holding on both drugs, having a well deserved rest and starting the Mirtazapine taper in Sep, with the brassmonkey Slide.

Thank you very much for all your help.

I thought i had this figured out but i am sat weighing the mirtazapine out for the nightly batch for the next 2 weeks and some-thing as just dawned on me that i would like you to clarify if you could please.

I really hope i can articulate this to get what i mean across...

Here goes...

On the scale it weighs 0.060g which would be mgpw if i am wanting 1% off 6 that would be 5.94 mgai ?but the weight of the drug can only go down on the scale say 0.059g,0.058g,0.057g and so on yes you could jump 0.059g-0.050g (don't ever do that anyone).

So when the scale is weighing 0.060g that is mgpw but my actual dose where i am at is 6mgai.?

So in September, when i weigh the dose out do i take it to 0.059g mgpw and the actual dose i take now would take would be 5.94 mgai then stay at that for a week.

SO the 2 week would be- 0.058g mgpw and the dose would be 5.88 mgai.

3 week on the scale would be -0.057g mgpw and the dose would be 5.82 mgai.

Week 4 the scale would be 0.056g mgpw and the dose now would be at 5.76 mgai.

Hold that for 2 weeks.

Then do the same again for the second week. 

Thank you.

When the readout on the scale says 0.060g then your dose would be 6mgai.

When a person is working with a very small reduction, such as 1%, there is going to be "rounding error" because the scales just can't measure that small. Standard rounding procedures say to round up at 6 and down at 4. For tapering many people prefer to round up each time. This can give a slightly smaller dose sometimes, but it is the more cautious approach.

The numbers you posted should work fine. Just try to be as consistent as possible.

@pinkfairyI dread the last few titrations and I have only just started on my journey @brassmonkey on that slider... so far, so good. 

I suspect that there is nothing that will totally remove my anxieties when the time comes.  They will pass, they will pass.  How far have you come?  I read your signature!!!  

We underestimate what we can tolerate and fear the worst!

Various ADs from 1991, always for depression with anxiety and agitation... sertraline, paroxetine, citalopram (with 2.5mg olanzapine briefly), coming off each for increasingly shorter times until 2000 when I went on meds full time with Clomipramine 200mg. Then Venlafaxine (XR) since 2008, initially 225mg, then 300mg, plus tried on venlafaxine with mirtazapine (California Rocket) for only a week in 2017(?) as absolutely intolerable. 

July '23 Venlafaxine XL 300 to 275mg.  Aug '23 275 to 250mg. Sept/Oct '23 250 to 230 to 225mg.  Nov '23 205mg. Dec '23 185mg.  28 Dec '23 reinstated 225mg after crashing. 

Supplements: Vitamin D and fish oil. 

"L'exposition du merde est temporaries".

Although I have a background in health, I am here to learn from others, encourage others and share my experiences, not to give professional guidance. 

22 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

When the readout on the scale says 0.060g then your dose would be 6mgai.

When a person is working with a very small reduction, such as 1%, there is going to be "rounding error" because the scales just can't measure that small. Standard rounding procedures say to round up at 6 and down at 4. For tapering many people prefer to round up each time. This can give a slightly smaller dose sometimes, but it is the more cautious approach.

The numbers you posted should work fine. Just try to be as consistent as possible.

Just when i thought i had it sussed (puts head in hands)

right, that makes total sense thank you for helping and i will do for sure. I think come September i will maybe post a month of figures just so i know 100% i am getting it correct.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, BigCat said:

@pinkfairyI dread the last few titrations and I have only just started on my journey @brassmonkey on that slider... so far, so good. 

I suspect that there is nothing that will totally remove my anxieties when the time comes.  They will pass, they will pass.  How far have you come?  I read your signature!!!  

We underestimate what we can tolerate and fear the worst!

Mines more apprehension of that cage door been fully left open knowing that we are going to be leaving and exiting this coal mine after all these years of being chemically straight jacketed.

I can't wait for freedom but there is apart of me that when i get close to the end i will be like "i can't do it" but actually yes we can. Its that leap and we have to feel it in our bones that will be caught and if we aren't....we will fly.

You will do real good, just stay the course and keep your eyes forwards the only time i look back is to see how far i have travelled.

I will look forward to your success story. 

@pinkfairy you've got it down, it's just that things can't be as exact as we want them to be. Keep things consistent in the way you do them and the little fluctuations won't cause any problems. It's not about the exactness of the dose, but rather keeping the blood serum levels in a consistent range while reducing the peak amount gradually so the body doesn't notice.

@BigCat if the taper is done slowly and smoothly, then the last few reductions should be a nonevent. You shouldn't even notice them.

3 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

@pinkfairy you've got it down, it's just that things can't be as exact as we want them to be. Keep things consistent in the way you do them and the little fluctuations won't cause any problems. It's not about the exactness of the dose, but rather keeping the blood serum levels in a consistent range while reducing the peak amount gradually so the body doesn't notice.

@BigCat if the taper is done slowly and smoothly, then the last few reductions should be a nonevent. You shouldn't even notice them.

Thank you, yea i get that as i have used the scale right down to 0.052mgpw and those doses are spread out 3 times so one weight is at 0.010g the other the same and the night 0.015g i will switch to liquid at some point to taper off the rest of the way but that is for a rainy day.

That is what i have done with the benzo taper and its been mostly smooth seas all the way with keeping it consistent holding as soon any symptoms appeared. I hope that this one is the same.

I will pick it up once i get into the swing of it i think there is apprehension there with switching from one taper to another and wondering what the pattern will be like for this drug. I wont know until i set sail.

I do have one lingering fear its when i was pulled of paxil those WD didn't hit till nearly 4 month out and then all hell broke loose. So this is where the lingering fear comes in ,i think because t AD have a time lag wont it accumulate and all the little cuts will hit me that is my only concern.It didn't hit me with the benzo though, but for some reason there is more concern with the AD for me.

I have seen your success with it and plenty of others so my rational mind knows it works.

• 5 months later...

Quick question….. who has tapered off Mirtazapine or knows of stories of those who have severe akathisia and tapered with it?
thank you 🙏 

Prior to March 2020 - no meds in 37yr life., no anxiety or depression.

mar’20- hospital with Covid like sym- panic attack- scared by reaction to ceftriaxone antibiotic - rash and tongue Never was covid, likely stomach bug

Apr ‘20- told to see psychiatrist after hospital(didn’t know one panic attack shouldn’t) .75mg K and 5mg Lexapro

May ‘20- switched to 25mg Sertrakine  mid June ‘20- .75-.625mg K by psych in weeek spiraled ended up in ER bc so sick; 10mg Trazodone for sleep, tapered 10mg over 2wks Jul ‘20

july’20- Sertrtrakine taper 25mg-18mh - aka terrible didnt know what was ;Dr said let’s change to 5mg Prozac

aug’20-tapered 5mg after taking for 2 weeks next 4 weeks, 1/4 pill a week.

Aug’20- Sept 5mg ambien tapered off over a month in Sept 2020. 12mg Seroquel given and immediately tapered over 3 weeks in Oct 20. Jan 21- 2 weeks 10mg  Elavil for sleep(didn’t know better), eye issues so CTd per Dr- 6wk Wd.

Mar’21- Started slow K taoer .635mg to .005mg-Aug’23 ;may’22-Aug 23-drop .01mg K liquid comp a month the last .16mg Jumped at .005mg-severe acute, akathisia and in dark closet for 8 wks bc eyes severe any light caused aka worse. all beta blockers once and caused worse, spec clonidine ,severe reaction. Severe SI and attempt - Psych hosoitaks invol Nov/Dec23- multiple meds one off, Lipitor for 3 wks- forced when refused, Depakote trial 10 days 250mg, ECt twice ugh with muscle relaxer ketamine and propofol- all meds what I didn’t want used against me and forced.

12/2/23- psych hosp 7.5mg Mirtazapine for severe aka but myoclonic jolts, eye issues and no benefit . 12/10- forced me 15mg 5 days, 7.5 since 12/15/23 .home 12/18. Tested covid positive 12/22/23. Negative 12/30. nightmare traumatized and hell on mirt not knowing what’s adverse effects(severe RLS, brain racing/swirling, eye flashing, jolts) after taking 

Severe neuro issues

100+ symptoms thru K taper and on

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy