Irritable bowel syndrome: What you can do

Altostrata

27 minutes ago, Idlehnds said:

Best thing I have ever had for stomach issues is doing TRE and Celery juice.   Celery juice completely cured my bloating.  TRE made my bowl movements easy and bulky.  TRE releases the PSOAS muscle over time that is known as the fight or flight muscle.    Takes a little while but for me it was always because of anxiety where I am subconsciously tensing my muscles.   I never have been able to reach down and touch below my toes.  Now I can bend over and almost put my palms on the ground.   All the tension was released.  If you decide to do it make sure to join a facebook group and go very slow.  It releases old trauma's to help you fully heal.   Best part it is 100% free unless you get a coach which is highly recommend for the first 3 sessions then you can do it by yourself.

https://traumaprevention.com/

I stopped taking a probiotic, digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid. etc. etc.

Laugh out loud. Back with the trying to sell more crap again, are we? Just so you know not all health issues come from trauma 😂

3 hours ago, KMart95 said:

Laugh out loud. Back with the trying to sell more crap again, are we? Just so you know not all health issues come from trauma 😂

You know its so sad that you like to just put down  me on here trying to share what has helped me.   I had anger for you but then I realized that you are suffering and that is why you are such a jerk to me.  You go out of your way to say something mean or laugh and make jokes about things that can really help you without even researching them or trying them yourself.  I understand you are suffering and in pain because if you were happy and joyful you wouldnt treat other people this way  that are trying to share ideas to help people.  If you think I am a quack then ignore my posts instead of making fun of me.

Also trauma isnt just someone dying or getting a divorce.  Trauma can be prolong stress which is 100% withdrawal from medicine. Please if you want to discuss that is great but please stop being mean.   

And yes I had IBS my whole life.  I kept taking supplements for it but for me and my case it never got better.  If yours did great.   Mine didnt.  Also diets didnt help me either.   Had all sorts of things done.  Now if someone is like me they might want to try some things out of the box.  Thats how I found my healing.  Just sharing my journey.  Please ignore my posts and let other people see for themselves if its someone they

want to discuss without having bitter mean comments.

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Eastcoastgirl, although Idlehnds has a history of coupling these types of products along with his misguided theory that withdrawal only lasts 2 - 6 weeks and everything after that is related to a trauma-loop, the post you are addressing here is fine. Let's please not attack other members. If you find a post problematic, please report it or PM a moderator or administrator. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, Idlehnds said:

Trauma can be prolong stress which is 100% withdrawal from medicine.

Idlehnds, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean here, but withdrawal symptoms are not limited to trauma-related problems. It's much more complicated than that. If this is what you mean, please note this has already been discussed over on your Withdrawal Loop thread. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, Idlehnds said:

And yes I had IBS my whole life.  I kept taking supplements for it but for me and my case it never got better.  If yours did great.   Mine didnt.  Also diets didnt help me either.   Had all sorts of things done.  Now if someone is like me they might want to try some things out of the box.  Thats how I found my healing.

It's possible you found something that helped a pre-existing condition, which may or may not work for someone with withdrawal-related IBS. But as long as you post in a non-prescriptive manner and don't qualify your comments with either (1) long-term withdrawal being solely a trauma issue or (2) anything related to withdrawal lasting only 2 - 6 weeks (or any timeframe, since we don't know what that is), you should feel free to post what is helping and what is hurting your own recovery. 

Edited by Karma
name update

On 1/17/2020 at 4:39 PM, Idlehnds said:

Hi @Idlehnds,

Did you find that stopping a probiotic did help your gut symptoms improve?  I have only had these gut symptoms since being in withdrawal (and also after starting klonopin), so I’m trying to figure out if I’m overdoing it on my probiotic or if these symptoms are just part of recovery in general.  
Best,

Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

On 1/18/2020 at 8:13 AM, Shep said:

KMart, although Idlehnds has a history of coupling these types of products along with his misguided theory that withdrawal only lasts 2 - 6 weeks and everything after that is related to a trauma-loop, the post you are addressing here is fine. Let's please not attack other members. If you find a post problematic, please report it or PM a moderator or administrator. 

Idlehnds, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean here, but withdrawal symptoms are not limited to trauma-related problems. It's much more complicated than that. If this is what you mean, please note this has already been discussed over on your Withdrawal Loop thread. 

It's possible you found something that helped a pre-existing condition, which may or may not work for someone with withdrawal-related IBS. But as long as you post in a non-prescriptive manner and don't qualify your comments with either (1) long-term withdrawal being solely a trauma issue or (2) anything related to withdrawal lasting only 2 - 6 weeks (or any timeframe, since we don't know what that is), you should feel free to post what is helping and what is hurting your own recovery. 

Sure.  Thank you for the response.   

I agree that it is much more complicated then that.   I was just responded to the poster in here about trauma not from every illness so I responded to it.   That is all.   That topic is done.  I still feel like if I shared a phone call with someone about it and we could discuss we could learn more about each others stance instead of being on a forum.   Somethings are best discussed person to person.

It is possible I found something that helped my pre-existing condition relating to IBS since I have had it for a long time.   I know I found alot of my tools by seeing what has helped others and trying them.   Just like coming in here when I stopped lexapro and going slow with it.  I was fortunate to have this site before I went cold turkey and jumped off.

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

On 1/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, Cathy4 said:

Hi @Idlehnds,

Did you find that stopping a probiotic did help your gut symptoms improve?  I have only had these gut symptoms since being in withdrawal (and also after starting klonopin), so I’m trying to figure out if I’m overdoing it on my probiotic or if these symptoms are just part of recovery in general.  
Best,

Cathy

I dont know @Cathy4 if that helped it improve.  I just know that it wasnt helping it.   Everytime I would try a new probiotic it would work for like a week then it would stop working.  So I figured that this wasnt the answer even tho I had stool tests done saying i was low in certain strains.  This was over the last 5 years doing this.   I think the celery juice helped me the most because I think I had SIBO but  never diagnosed just assumed by my holistic doctor.    Celery juice removed the bloating and eventually my stools became bettter once I released my PSOAS  muscle.   The PSOAS muscle is considered the fight or flight muscle and when chronically tight from being in fight or flight, it keeps signalling back to the brain that you are in a threat.   Supposedly this is the part we freeze when we are in the fight/flight/freeze mode of our nervous system.  Overtime if we are constantly in the freeze state it never bounces back and keeps signalling to the brain that we are not safe.   At least this is my experience so please consider that and do your own research.  

Here is a great article on it that touches on it and that I can 100% relate to.   Not everyone will relate to my experiences so hopefully this will help you in some way.

https://sensitivityuncensored.com/the-ibssibo-psoas-connection-and-why-its-important-for-hsps/

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

On 1/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, Idlehnds said:

I think I had SIBO but  never diagnosed just assumed by my holistic doctor.    Celery juice removed the bloating and eventually my stools became bettter once I released my PSOAS  muscle.

@Idlehnds,

Thank you for the info.  It’s interesting because I just spoke with a doctor who thinks there’s a chance I might have SIBO, too.  I’ve also been having fresh celery in my smoothie most mornings!  Maybe I should up it to every morning and see if that helps with the bloating.  

Yes, I am certain that being in a near-constant state of fear produces quite a bit of contraction.  I’m doing some Feldenkrais to try and retrain my brain that not all these muscles need to be contracted all the time! I’m sure my psoas is tight and thanks for the link.  I’m familiar with TRE as well.  Thanks and I hope you’re well.  

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have phlegm as a result of GERD?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 7:39 PM, Idlehnds said:

Best thing I have ever had for stomach issues is doing TRE and Celery juice.   Celery juice completely cured my bloating.  TRE made my bowl movements easy and bulky.  TRE releases the PSOAS muscle over time that is known as the fight or flight muscle.    Takes a little while but for me it was always because of anxiety where I am subconsciously tensing my muscles.   I never have been able to reach down and touch below my toes.  Now I can bend over and almost put my palms on the ground.   All the tension was released.  If you decide to do it make sure to join a facebook group and go very slow.  It releases old trauma's to help you fully heal.   Best part it is 100% free unless you get a coach which is highly recommend for the first 3 sessions then you can do it by yourself.

https://traumaprevention.com/

What is TRE?

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65 11/30 1.5 mgs 3/1/22 1.41 mgs 6/28/22 1.37 mgs 10/22 1.20 mgs

Daily supplements: 470 mgs magnesium, Miralax, 640 Omega complex, probiotic, testosterone 2 gms, progesterone 12.5 mgs

• 5 months later...

is irritable bowel syndrome related to withdrawal? im thinking YES due to the serotonin receptors in the gut.

I am on my last leg of my taper- so far 2 years in on a micro taper, however the last month or 6 weeks ive gone a bit faster with bigger drops. I have no other symptoms. 

💮Zoloft 50mg September 2015  💮Alcohol-free October 2017 💮 September 2018 begin micro-taper-->weekly micro drops liquid      💮April 2019 25mg HELD FOR ONE YEAR before weekly micro drops 💮April 2020 12.5mg 💮August 8mg 💮October 6mg  💮December 5mg 💮April 2mg 💮May 1mg 💮June 0.5mg  💮July 4, 2021 Jump OFF 💯

• Moderator Emeritus

@Surfchick

Gut issues commonly accompany withdrawal. See #35-39 in the following withdrawal checklist.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

This link deals with coping with and curing IBS.

Irritable bowel syndrome: Gut bacteria and what you can do ...

For other links on this subject, Google SurvivingAntidepressents.org IBS

2 hours ago, Surfchick said:

I am on my last leg of my taper- so far 2 years in on a micro taper, however the last month or 6 weeks ive gone a bit faster with bigger drop

As you get lower in dosage, we recommend slowing the taper.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Bowel problems?

Hi everyone. A quick question. Might anyone have developed IBS type symptoms from either being on anti d's or coming off them too quickly? Any advice would be awesome. Been off effexor around 40 months now. Also, thanks S.A. for the Med Normal screening. It was awesome!!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

• Moderator Emeritus

See this post:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...

Titled IBS- Can't go to the bathroom

Hey guys,

Does anyone else struggle with serious stomach issues? I get super bloated and literally cannot go to the bathroom. Everything just gets stuck in my stomach and I barely ever have bowel movements.  Obviously with this comes chronic fatigue and brain fog. I have been trying to treat this for the past three years and although I have had periods of relief, nothing seems to work permanently.

I have been on an off Prozac twice in the past three years. I am now off again- I tapered from 80mg down to zero over the past 6 months. When I was on 80mg my stomach issues were almost entirely gone, and slowly worsened until now I'm back to where I was. Only this time I do not plan to get back on the medication. I am doing coffee enemas everyday to clear myself out. I hope within 6 months to a year my body will naturally heal.

Does anyone else have similar symptoms?

Edited by manymoretodays
topic title

Zoloft: 2013- 2015, 50mg; 2016- 2016, 100mg; 2017- 2017, 250mg

Prozac: 2018- 2019, 40mg; 2019- Christmas 2020, 80mg tapered down to 0mg over the course of 6 months.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Hartattack: IBS- Can't go to the bathroom
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hartattack,

I just moved your recent post over to a similar topic.

And also gave you a prompt to Start an Introduction topic, as well.

Would you  also create a signature for us:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

this just gives us a little more information about you, and is the portion you'll see under other members posts, and your own, once you get it done.

Sounds like you may have done a quicker taper, than what we usually suggest.

See:

2 hours ago, Hartattack said:

Does anyone else struggle with serious stomach issues? I get super bloated and literally cannot go to the bathroom. Everything just gets stuck in my stomach and I barely ever have bowel movements.  Obviously with this comes chronic fatigue and brain fog. I have been trying to treat this for the past three years and although I have had periods of relief, nothing seems to work permanently.

And so, yes, some of your symptoms could be due to WD(withdrawal).

There may be some information, here, in this topic which helps with the IBS symptoms.  Sometimes the chronic fatigue and brain fog are also protracted WD symptoms.

And welcome.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)
Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, not sure if anyone has experienced anything like this before. basically approx 6 years ago, i started very randomly with nausea quite constant and gurgling tummy etc. What followed was lots of tests and things to try that i thought would help such as: stool tests for inflammation, h-pylori, blood tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy, hida scan, lactose free diet, gluten free diet, fodmap diet, peppermint, ginger, anti nausea tablets from the doctor. nothing worked. the gastro discharged me with a diagnosis of ongoing IBS which i've had for approx 12 years anyway. I got depressed from feeling poorly all the time, so i was put on antidepressants, within weeks my nausea had gone. So me and my partner thought, it must have been anxiety? eventhough at the time, i didnt feel particularly anxious i dont think?! anyway, it didnt come back until i had a short break from AD's a few years back, so i went back on the AD's and it stopped again. Now i've been off my AD's for 8 weeks and its returned again. 

Anyone else suffered similar? Obviously i'm massively swaying to it being anxiety related due to the relief the antidepressants give me from it. I completely stumbled across the 'cure' by accident due to feeling depressed and needing antidepressants all those years ago. very strange. 

x

May 2016- August 2020 Fluoxetine 20mg (pooped out)

August 2020 - December 2020 Sertraline 50mg (adverse effects)

Dec 2020-Mar 10th 2021 Citalopram 20mg (adverse effects)- STOPPED cold turkey

Fully antidepressant free since 10th March 2021. 

Take occasional propranolol 10mg.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 9/3/2020 at 2:24 AM, Gussy said:

Bowel problems?

Hi everyone. A quick question. Might anyone have developed IBS type symptoms from either being on anti d's or coming off them too quickly? Any advice would be awesome. Been off effexor around 40 months now. Also, thanks S.A. for the Med Normal screening. It was awesome!!

I'm pretty sure my IBS was caused by SSRIs and benzos, both the using of them and the switching around and multiple CTs and other withdrawal attempts over the years before I discovered tapering, and withdrawal itself even during my slow taper. And accompanied by general dysautonomia also caused by the egg-scrambling of my nervous system due to drugs. Add in several years of a high level of life stress and BLAM.

It's just not as brilliant an idea as our medical establishment seems to think, to meddle with the chemistry of THE ENTIRE NERVOUS SYSTEM of our bodies. Who could possibly have imagined that human hubris in regards to natural systems might be problematic?

Good news is that I've reduced the stress and the other issues seem to be slowly improving. I thank Goddess every day that I was forced to do such a slow taper.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 5:09 AM, lavendertealatte said:

I had IBS as soon as I weaned off most of my medication. It goes hand in hand with my anxiety so I haven’t paid it much attention. Does anyone else have this? 

i have this too and what should i do now? 

Depakote ER = 250 mg (10 June 2021) first precise dose unknown. 

Clozapine      = 25 mg (10 June 2021) first precise dose  unknown. 

Aripriprazole  = 15 mg (10 June 2021) first precise dose unknown. 

Took three of drugs for 28 days in June 2021.

Stopped all cold turkey after 7 July 2021 due to bad reaction of the drugs. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, Surfchick said:

is irritable bowel syndrome related to withdrawal? im thinking YES due to the serotonin receptors in the gut.

I am on my last leg of my taper- so far 2 years in on a micro taper, however the last month or 6 weeks ive gone a bit faster with bigger drops. I have no other symptoms. 

how are you now, and please tell me how to handle this. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, Ryzaaa said:

how are you now, and please tell me how to handle this. :)

hi Ryzaa, i keep a diary, and i had IBS symptoms for 7 months. One day it disappeared and now im totally fine. so wild! 

i am now SSRI free the last 2 months, after a very very slow taper from "low dose" Zoloft.

YOU WILL HEAL too, just have to give it time.

💮Zoloft 50mg September 2015  💮Alcohol-free October 2017 💮 September 2018 begin micro-taper-->weekly micro drops liquid      💮April 2019 25mg HELD FOR ONE YEAR before weekly micro drops 💮April 2020 12.5mg 💮August 8mg 💮October 6mg  💮December 5mg 💮April 2mg 💮May 1mg 💮June 0.5mg  💮July 4, 2021 Jump OFF 💯

15 hours ago, Surfchick said:

hi Ryzaa, i keep a diary, and i had IBS symptoms for 7 months. One day it disappeared and now im totally fine. so wild! 

i am now SSRI free the last 2 months, after a very very slow taper from "low dose" Zoloft.

Alright i will do the same too..

:)

you gave me hope, thank you!! 

On 8/23/2021 at 1:11 AM, Surfchick said:

Do you mind if i ask you what type IBS you had?

Mine was possibly IBS-D. Bounce from constipation to diarrhoea. My symptoms are abnormal gastrocolic reflex that made me go to the loo right after eating, loud tummy noises, excessive gases and burping, and loose stool. Did you had this too? 

And what kind of food should i eat and avoid? i know low fodmap diet is good, but just wanna make it same since you already healed yours, so i must say i'll follow your diet, also what are some good pro/prebiotics? 

I need an advices for this, want to recover as fast as possible because it's stressed me out. 

Sorry for the long questions and rant. 

thanks in advance. 

How long does it take for gastrointestinal issues to dissapeare after stopping prozac or other antidepressants ??

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

It is really realated to gut bacteria or imbalance in neurotransmitter ?

I took lots of antidepressants (six different) over 2.5 years in the past. 
Wont it go away by itself ? 

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

Mine IBS was present during my worst wave and lasted 2 years. 

There is more serotonin in your stomach than your brain which makes sense why stomach issues are so common.

Once my wave started disappearing my IBS improved greatly.

If you did not have issues prior to quitting your medication than it should resolve itself as your body heals.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

THanks for your response . 

what do you mean by wave ? DId the improvement was gradually or out of sudden after 2 years ?

@Rusty1

7 hours ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

THanks for your response . 

what do you mean by wave ? DId the improvement was gradually or out of sudden after 2 years ?

@Rusty1

Wave = increase of symptoms caused by withdrawal /medication. 

Improvement was gradual, but my wave lasted 2 years with no improvement, so my symptoms stayed for those 2 years. When I started gradually improving from my wave, my IBS did as well.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

If I had known such that it takes years and years to improve . I would have already improved.

I had simple problem semen leakage after  stopping prozac.
 @Rusty1 I got panicked and took so many antidepressatns over 3 years . When I realized It takes years and years to subside I cold turkeyed all medicines.

Now I want to cry . My 3 years just exacerated the problems . Now I have vivid dreams , poor sleep quality, extreme fatigue body ace suicidal thoughts and cracking of bones sound , ear worms much more.

YOu mean to say for 2 years you had no improvement okey. I didn't know such thing . If my symptoms wouldn't even show sign of improving in  2 years . I 

would have been mad thinking it is permanenet and commited suicide . 

Thank GOD I found you , Now I have hope that it will go away in more than 2 years .

I got panicked and took so many over 6 diffrent antidepressants in 3 years . Now I realized it takes years and years to heal. Damn man such a huge mistake in life by me .

On 9/4/2021 at 7:46 AM, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

If I had known such that it takes years and years to improve . I would have already improved.

I had simple problem semen leakage after  stopping prozac.
 @Rusty1 I got panicked and took so many antidepressatns over 3 years . When I realized It takes years and years to subside I cold turkeyed all medicines.

Now I want to cry . My 3 years just exacerated the problems . Now I have vivid dreams , poor sleep quality, extreme fatigue body ace suicidal thoughts and cracking of bones sound , ear worms much more.

Unfortunately that is common as doctors dont know the true effects of the meds. Yes jumping on and off these meds makes things more complicated as well as cold turkey.

Good news is your body will heal, just give it time!

You cant give up hope, pay attention to any small improvements.

• Altostrata changed the title to Irritable bowel syndrome: What you can do

@Rusty1 THanks for responding .

• 3 weeks later...

@Rusty1

Hi, thanks for the response i really do appreciate it.

However, i'm still having the IBS, not worsening but not better either. I can say its worsening in some of times in this past of few weeks. 

Okay so.. here i am with IBS-D. I'm not even sure what's the causes. I mean, to know the cure you must know the causes, right? 

My question is do any psychiatrist meds especially antipsychotics (kindly read my medication history if you will) could potentially damaging the brain-gut axis or nervous systems that control digestive?

And yes.. in between May-June i was taking PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) Meds to lower my Gastric acid, however i read it in journal, in some certain cases it can causes abnormal Bacteria overgrowth, however what is the option to heal or restores the gut's microbiome especially when it caused by using PPI? or just consuming lots of probiotics? or any antibiotic? such as rifaximine is needed? what probiotics you consider effective to treat it? I was actually on Yakult and some Yogurt everyday, but nothing much helps. 

And i noticed that i had defecation changes soon after taking psychiatrist meds. I need to go everyday in morning, but i never had something like this, i used to poop 3-5 times in a week with different day, not everyday. Some kinda i noticed unusual bowel habits. You'd probably understand that too.. 

I had this chronic IBS and really-really bugging me a lot especially with the morning rush, ugh i hated it. Sorry for venting, but i've been homesick for the last 4 months, i really really need to do something about it. So i'm really is sorry for the venting though. I don't want to stick in toilet and feeling need to go every minutes.. like ugh serious

Sorry for the rant, sorry for the long story, and thank you so much for your attention. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:42 PM, Ryzaaa said:

@Rusty1

Hi, thanks for the response i really do appreciate it.

However, i'm still having the IBS, not worsening but not better either. I can say its worsening in some of times in this past of few weeks. 

Okay so.. here i am with IBS-D. I'm not even sure what's the causes. I mean, to know the cure you must know the causes, right? 

My question is do any psychiatrist meds especially antipsychotics (kindly read my medication history if you will) could potentially damaging the brain-gut axis or nervous systems that control digestive?

And yes.. in between May-June i was taking PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) Meds to lower my Gastric acid, however i read it in journal, in some certain cases it can causes abnormal Bacteria overgrowth, however what is the option to heal or restores the gut's microbiome especially when it caused by using PPI? or just consuming lots of probiotics? or any antibiotic? such as rifaximine is needed? what probiotics you consider effective to treat it? I was actually on Yakult and some Yogurt everyday, but nothing much helps. 

And i noticed that i had defecation changes soon after taking psychiatrist meds. I need to go everyday in morning, but i never had something like this, i used to poop 3-5 times in a week with different day, not everyday. Some kinda i noticed unusual bowel habits. You'd probably understand that too.. 

I had this chronic IBS and really-really bugging me a lot especially with the morning rush, ugh i hated it. Sorry for venting, but i've been homesick for the last 4 months, i really really need to do something about it. So i'm really is sorry for the venting though. I don't want to stick in toilet and feeling need to go every minutes.. like ugh serious

Sorry for the rant, sorry for the long story, and thank you so much for your attention. 

You will want to ask a moderator for help regarding different medications, I cannot answer that.

What I can say is that I experienced IBS with sudden onset urges to urinate and defacate and lower left stomach pain. Nothing was different in my life except being in a severe wave. I went to the doctor several times, even had an ultrasound and nothing was found. 

After about 2 years my wave calmed down (I had zero windows in this time) and finally started feeling better. All my symptoms virtually vanished. I still have some food sensitivities that I didnt have prior, but no more abdominal pain or frequent urges to go to the bathroom. Other than exiting my wave and stabilizing nothing changed in my life.

Amazing what our bodies do while experiencing withdrawal!

From my personal history I absolutely believe these medications cause IBS issues (seems to be a common symptom on this board). Some people here have had success with probiotics and the like. I did not experience any benefits. 

Appears that your experience with medication changes was pretty recent. Best bet is to give it time and it will resolve itself.

@Gridley@ChessieCatMy naturopath is pushing me to take probiotics and enzymes etc but I couldnt tolerate them. I was sent into a a current months long wave from a multivitamin and trying probiotics at the same time. IS it possible to heal gut issues with just diet and stress relief? I have lots of issues due to taking traditional medicine like antibiotics, antiinflammatories, antispasmodics, PPIs for months. For example, I have c diff, giardia, candida, h pylori etc. Can these heal on their own as your brain heals its nervous system without the use of other interventions such as supplements? I'm focusing on good diet, sleep, exercise now as I was only focusing on diet before and ignoring stress sleep and exercise. I follow an antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, low fodmap diet which has stopped the diarhea, stomach cramping everytime I eat. However I want to heal my internal gut imbalances so my hair grows back, I have hormonal regulation bc I have PCOS and painful ovarian cysts from stopping birth control and eating some histamine still like peanut butter, and to improve mood and my overall health. Im currently slowly weaning off of omeprazole 25% a month of 40 mg I've taken for a year. I'm in a wave right now so I probably shouldnt be doing this but I need my gut to heal. 

-2014: Lexapro/escitalopram 10 mg, 2015-2021: Lexapro/escitalopram 20 mg

-10/2020-3/2021: decreased 20 mg to 15 mg, 1 mg a month

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-4/2021: 3-6 days cold turkey lexapro, withdrawal symptoms so reinstated 2.5 mg 

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

-11/2020 omeprazole 20 mg, 3/2021: omeprazole 40 mg,

-Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega 3 fish pill: 1280 mg

-montelukast: 10 mg dailyzyrtec: 10 mg daily 

-3/20/2021-7/25: mesalamine 1.2 GM, 3 times a day - dropped

-birth control: Trilinyah 2014- 2/1/2021 quit cold turkey middle of pack 

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

7/16/2021 - probiophage probiotic - dropped 

On 9/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, Rusty1 said:

Wave = increase of symptoms caused by withdrawal /medication. 

Improvement was gradual, but my wave lasted 2 years with no improvement, so my symptoms stayed for those 2 years. When I started gradually improving from my wave, my IBS did as well.

@Rusty1Did you IBS improve without the use of probiotics, digestive enzymes etc? What stomach issues specificall did you have? I did a stool analysis and I have candida, giardia, h pylori, c. diff etc from the uses of traditoinal medicine like PPIs, antispasmodics, antiinflammatories, antibiotics before i knew my stomach probs were caused by withdrawal. I cannot tolerate supps right now and was wondering if good diet, sleep, exercise, stress relief and time to heal my nervous syste, will eventualy heal my gut imbalances without the use of probiotics and enzymes since I cant tolerate them? Will it just take longer but eventually heal?

-2014: Lexapro/escitalopram 10 mg, 2015-2021: Lexapro/escitalopram 20 mg

-10/2020-3/2021: decreased 20 mg to 15 mg, 1 mg a month

-4/2021: decreased to 10 mg, held for 11 days, 4/2021: decreased to 5 mg, held for 8 days

-4/2021: 3-6 days cold turkey lexapro, withdrawal symptoms so reinstated 2.5 mg 

-omeprazole taper: 9/2021 cut 25%, 10/20/21 25% cut, 12/1/21 25%, 12/28/21 25% cut, (9/36 beads of 40 mg)

-11/2020 omeprazole 20 mg, 3/2021: omeprazole 40 mg,

-Nordic Naturals Ultimate omega 3 fish pill: 1280 mg

-montelukast: 10 mg dailyzyrtec: 10 mg daily 

-3/20/2021-7/25: mesalamine 1.2 GM, 3 times a day - dropped

-birth control: Trilinyah 2014- 2/1/2021 quit cold turkey middle of pack 

7/16/2021-8/1/2021 Quicksilver Liposomal multivitamin liquid: biotin, zinc, Vitamins A, C, D E, K, Niacin,, Thiomine, Riboflavin,Vitamin B6, B12, 7/16/2021- 8/25/2021 - boswelia complex (tumeric. ginger, celery) - 2 a day - dropped

7/16/2021 - probiophage probiotic - dropped 

13 hours ago, Sicksagittarius said:

@Rusty1Did you IBS improve without the use of probiotics, digestive enzymes etc? What stomach issues specificall did you have? I did a stool analysis and I have candida, giardia, h pylori, c. diff etc from the uses of traditoinal medicine like PPIs, antispasmodics, antiinflammatories, antibiotics before i knew my stomach probs were caused by withdrawal. I cannot tolerate supps right now and was wondering if good diet, sleep, exercise, stress relief and time to heal my nervous syste, will eventualy heal my gut imbalances without the use of probiotics and enzymes since I cant tolerate them? Will it just take longer but eventually heal?

Stomach pain, food irritation, immediate urges to go to the bathroom (both types). 

I was in a wave from an accidental slight updose. It took 2 years by I eventually hit a window. Once I was in a window my symptoms went away 90+%. No symptoms prior to the wave. It was 100% CNS and gut receptors (you have more serotonin receptors in your stomach than your brain) being out of balance.

No improvement from any probiotics. Did not try supplements as I was too sensitive.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy