Fightinghard: overcoming

Fightinghard

@Phoenixmama thank you so much!  It’s constant battle and rollercoaster!  At least in the past few weeks i had a window where i was thinking i was getting closer to recovery.  Now i feel I’m at square one.  The reality of WD is going to have the ups and downs.  There is no way around it. But we learn to cope

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

Zoloft  100 MG April18-april 22, 2020

Buspirone 20 mg from April 18-May 18

10 mg from May 18 - May 27 2020

Lexapro 5 mg from April 22 through May 1st

10 mg from May 1 through June 1

5 mg from June 1 though june 18

2.5 mg from June 18 through June 25

1.25 mg from June 25 through July 4 2020

Ambien -  2.5 mg  April 21 and 26 2020

Trazodone 50 mg-  3 times late April and 4 days the first week in June 2020

Supplements:  Melatonin .23 mg

So at this point I’m not sure if I’m dealing with Akathisia or just sensitive to things or both but I’m still in it. The good thing is last night was better than the previous 2.  No fear or intense wake ups.  In fact i was calm most of the night.  I slept with ear plugs which I think prevented the surges from noise and so i did better.  I laid in bed for awhile somewhat calm. It was a much better place than yesterday.  Probably 2 Weeks ago i started to reduce my melatonin.  I was taking .3mg but I started halving it and 1 night i forgot to take it.  It seems to coincide with this wave I’ve entered.  Last night i went back to .3 mg to see if this things.  I’d say I’m different today. Very jumpy and sensitive but less fear feeling.   Very intense feelings for sure.  I’ve been taking melatonin for years and I did read once that reducing melatonin could cause problems for some.  Actually it was here on SA in the melatonin section. So maybe me messing with that made me worse?  Like i said I’ve jumped back up so I’ll see if that helps.  I’m taking very little at .15 and .30 but who knows.  I’ve missed doses in the past and I’ve not had problems that i remember.  

so today will be another day of being calm and avoiding things.  This wave is tough.  I’m hoping each day it improves.  Usually mornings are the worst so let’s hope this day gets better. 

2003-2006-  Zoloft then Wellbutrin, Ritalin, concerta , Adderall.  Don’t remember dosage, tapers or timeframes. ADD treatment. I think I had some WD?  Definitely PSSD which resolved over time. 

• Mentor

Hi Fighting

Sounds like you're dealing well with things as they come up.   My only caveat is one I've mentioned before; don't let the search for symptoms and triggers become a trigger itself.  I posted something on it about a year ago:

Name Your Dragon

We want so much to know what's causing our symptoms (the 10 pound ball) and it can become frustrating when it seems like there's one thing after another.  You are healing--I can see that in the tone and content of your posts.  It will take time and there will be peaks and valleys, but you'll get there.  You're getting there!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

@mstimc thanks!  I’m trying my best to just go with this but it is a hard one.  All i can do is healthy distraction and coping.  It will pass. Slowly but surely. 

i wish there was a place where we could all go and talk to each other face to face and gives hugs , there's nothing i want more then to meet face to face with someone going through the same thing i am 

@Fightinghard keep your head up 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

@Phoenixmama You are so right!  Such a sweet thought.  I’m doing better than yesterday which is good so I’ll keep moving along.  It will pass. Thanks for the support!  

how are you?

• Administrator

@Fightinghard

Keep on pushing through!! Those waves truly do suck, but just remember that you are healing!!! That's the days your brain is truly getting some work done!! @mstimc is correct!! Don't focus on the symptoms!! I used to keep a checklist and I would notice every single little thing I was feeling. I finally stopped doing it and just accepted what was happening!! When I stopped focusing on the symptoms, I stopped letting them have power over me!! You are in control!!! How you react to this process is everything!! Just let it ride!! Don't fight it because that only makes it worse!! Just know that the symptoms will pass! They always do!! When you are stuck in the middle of a hard wave, just think back to the windows you've had and the ones you know are gonna come!! Don't worry about what symptoms you are having cause it's just a side effect of the healing!! You've got this and you know it!!

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

@KenA Thank you for the encouragement!  As is typical, by this evening things really calmed down.  I’ll keep focusing on recovery and not the feelings!  I am healing each and every day!  This is temporary. It will all pass. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that melatonin is probably not the best thing for me at this point.  I’ve been dealing with an increase in fear, sensitivity, ‘jumpy’ feeling, and an inner restlessness for a few weeks at a much higher level than in the past.  I’ve had periods of it throughout but these past few weeks have been intense.  Mornings are usually worse and by the evening I’m usually better.  Sometimes almost symptom free.  So it’s pretty typical pattern in that sense.   So from a melatonin perspective several weeks ago i decided to back off of it.  I’ve been taking it for years and throughout this healing journey.  I reduced my dosage to .3 probably 6 months ago so I’m on probably as low as a dose as you can.  I generally start to fall asleep before i take it and i was thinking i don’t really need it so why take it.  Well it may be coincidence but my symptoms have coincided with my unscientific reduction.  I basically ‘emptied’ half of the .30 tablets out and took what was left.  I started on a Sunday and that Tuesday i didn’t take it at all.  That Tuesday i also drove a ton for work.  Anyway, since that Tuesday I’ve really had an intense wave.  I continued the 1/2 dose of melatonin until 2 nights ago when it hit me that things had seemed to changed since i dropped the dose.  Its been about 2 weeks. 

The past 2 nights I’ve been taking .3 Again and i ordered a scale.  My plan is to reduce the melatonin very slowly and more consistently.  There isn’t much out there on how to do it so I’ll just use my judgement.  There are some studies out there that have implied melatonin can increase agitation and other symptoms when stopping it after long term. I think i need to get off though to allow myself to fully heal. I’ve also read that taking it could interfere with dopamine production and that’s not good either with what I’m dealing with.  So i think I’ll have to get off and with through the symptoms.  

.3 is not a lot and if I understand it correctly it’s the amount that the body produces naturally.  So I’m thinking of trying to reduce it every 5-7days at 10-15 percent.  I’d wait until I was stable but I’ve not really been stable so I think I’m better off getting off of it over the next 6 weeks and see what changes.  

i just thought I’d share.  I’ve read through the melatonin section and it has some posts that have similar experiences and thoughts so I’m thinking i might be right in my concerns. 

wish me luck!

@Altostrata @Gridley @brassmonkey@Rosetta Well i want to update everyone and give some experiences I’m having with melatonin and what I’m more sure is aka.  I’ve been taking melatonin .3mg since January.  Prior to that, i was taking about 1mg and for years prior to the antidepressant s,  i was on 3 mg for periods of time.  I’d sometimes stop use if i ran out or just didn’t need it, etc.  

On May 23 i decided to start tapering down my melatonin.  I was falling asleep without it and really didn’t think it was helping. I took my .3mg capsule and eyeballed half and started to take that.  Now my symptoms had been a little worse prior to this but nothing too extreme.  After this change, my symptoms skyrocketed.  I searched and came across an article on melatonin withdrawal causing Akathisia. So i decided to go back to .3mg for a few nights. Things got a littlr better and calmer.  The past 2 nights I’ve been taking .27 mg using a gem scale to measure it.  Actually, the powder with filler weighs about 1mg so I’m taking .9 of that.   This morning is the worst I’ve been the entire WD. My adrenaline surges are back, hardly slept and now i can hardly move my arms and legs.  They are heavy and uncoordinated.   They have this weird feeling. Yesterday was an ok day with milder symptoms. I walked in the morning and basically worked some from home. Phone calls and emails.  I did cry a bunch yesterday late morning which felt good.  Anyway, nothing remarkable yesterday. I also take my magnesium, 400mg per day broken up into several doses.  

I’m at a loss and frankly scared.  Do i return to .3mg and stabilize?  But truly I’ve had low level aka symptoms from the beginning; restlessness, jumpy, surges, sensitivity.  They have gotten better at times.  I was trending better for awhile.  Truly, i was driving 5-6 hours a day, 3 days a week plus attending my kids events like track and field, etc.  that was for all of April and Into May.  Now i can barely walk.   This is really throwing me for a loop.  I’ve always taken melatonin so i thought it was fine.  But I’m convinced reducing it is causing me these problems.  

my wife is going to want to get me help which I’m scheduled to go to my doctor today.  I’m sure they’ll want me to take something.  I’m scared and not sure how to handle this.   My gut says tough it out at .27mg for a bit and see if it settles down. Then maybe in a few months reduce again.  Or just go back up to .3mg and stay there indefinitely. I want to come off because of it’s causing me issues coming off it had to be impacting my brains homeostasis negatively.  

any thoughts or guidance on this?  I realize the majority of people never have a problem with melatonin.  I’m wishing I’m one of them but i have to conclude this at this point. I went from functional to barely functioning in 2 weeks time and the only changes were my melatonin dosage.  

thanks for your time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Fightinghard

I don't have an answer regarding your withdrawal issues related to the melatonin except to say that in withdrawal we are very sensitive to many things, including supplements and even foods -- and also that we don't recommend treating issues caused by taking a previous substance by adding a psychiatric drug.

I take the following Melatonin supplement which is exactly 0.3mg Melatonin, which would save your having to measure.

NootropicsDepot melatonin (available on Amazon) is exactly 0.3 mg. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley!  Yes i was taking the .3mg pill but when i decided to stop i wanted to ‘taper’ so in opened the capsules and tried to do 50% but thinking is melatonin and simple. So when my symptoms ramped up, i went back to .3 for a bit then decided i better go slow off this and measure accurately.  I’m really in a wave today. I only did 10% but maybe i should Judy go back to .3 and stabilize.  Or wait this out. 

I’m really considering reinstatement and I’ve read all the info you guys have shared. I’m scared though because i May have had adverse reactions to the Zoloft i took to start or the higher dose of Lexapro.  It seems especially right now that my nervous system is very sensitive of the changes in melatonin are the cause of the increased wave.  Since i was on lexapro the longest and also it was the last thing i withdrew from would you suggest that?  Or Celexa?  I’m struggling today and I’m sure when i see the doctor I’ll talk options so i want to be prepared.  

thanks for your time

Do you have the option of keeping the melatonin?  Did you think it was making you worse at the dose you were taking?  At times, people have a wave that has no cause, and they try to link it to something, but by reducing the melatonin too much perhaps you caused the symptoms to increase.  However, something has irritated your system over the last year.  You never drink alcohol, I assume.  Not even one glass of wine, I hope.

I would not try a reinstatement if I were you, but there are people who reinstated late and benefited.  If you started on a very small dose the adverse reaction, if any, would be small and would resolve at some point.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Thanks Rosetta!  No alcohol at all. I think my primary culprit is activity. Driving too much and stress.  Like i mentioned i think i had a low level degree of Aka the whole time. It was probably worse early on but it calmed down some. It’s never been totally resolved.  I’m just thinking that the recent reduction in melatonin maybe flared it up even more.  I’m not sure if melatonin was an issue or not.  I wanted to get off of it because I thought I’d be better off not taking it if I didn’t need it.  Maybe I’ll hang tight at the.27 mg for a few days and see if i settle down?  Or go back to .3 mg and hold until I’m stable.  My biggest concern is if the melatonin is actually an issue in hindering my recovery.  I have had improvement though prior to this wave.  I think the intensity of this one is scaring me.  It’s rough right now. 

Yeah reinstatement is hard decision that i struggle with.  I’m going to my doctor because i need his story for a trip I’m canceling because of my WD and recovery.  I also may need to take time off work which is primarily from home but I’ll struggling lately more than in the past.  I may need to take FMLA.  

thanks for your time.  I hope this settles soon!

I’m on my way to see my doctor.  I’m going to ask for liquid lexapro just to have the rx if i get in a bad place.  I’ve also decided to go on FMLA and I’m going to take the full .3mg melatonin tonight.  Stay there for awhile and hope I stabilize to a better normal.   Today has been brutal.  Pacing and restless all day.  I’m actually thinking I really don’t want to see the doctor in my current wave.  A busy office in this state is not good for me.  But at the same time I need to get this in line so I can take off and get my trip canceled. Plus the Rx s as well. 

please wish my luck.  How quickly things can change.  The melatonin is really the only thing that makes sense to kick me back into this kind of wave of Akathisia.  Nothing else outside of driving some has changed.  I took the 1/2 dose for probably 7 days then upped to .3 again. I say all this and I did have some calmer days last week. Maybe it’s actually the fluctuations and up dose they did it.  I’m so torn on what to do. 

probably the hardest thing I’m dealing with is my wife continues to blame anxiety on my state. Its so hard.  I admit anxiety plays a role in this process but what I’m feeling and going through is easy beyond anxiety. In really need her support and in feel like i have to tiptoe around her and what i say and do.   Added stress i don’t need right now. My recent downturn really hit her because of hire much in regressed and she decided to take action and we talked for awhile and again, it’s clear she thinks it’s me because of my anxiety history.  

• Mentor

This is nobody's fault: not yours, not your wife's or even your doctor's.  Anxiety exacerbated by WD is a medical condition and right now you're in an acute phase.   I recognize the frustration she's feeling because I saw it in my wife when I was going through it.  Nobody who hasn't experienced it can fully understand it, no matter how much they empathize.  I just told her I was doing my best and working toward recovery.  As long as she could see I was trying we did okay, but we certainly had our ups and downs.   You will get through this. 

Tim C

• Administrator

@FightinghardKeep hanging in there. This is non-linear healing at it's truest definition! You are going to make it!

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

@mstimc @KenA  thanks for the support and encouragement!  Waves are hard. But I’ll make it through. Hopefully I’ll get a  window soon.  This is a temporary state. 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Fightinghard said:

@mstimc @KenA  thanks for the support and encouragement!  Waves are hard. But I’ll make it through. Hopefully I’ll get a  window soon.  This is a temporary state. 

Always my friend! Hang in there! You are going to be ok! This too shall pass!

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

@KenAThanks Ken!  Things are calmer today. I’ve got my plan for how to reduce my melatonin just in case it is a problem.  My current wave could just be a wave that was going to happen but it does coincide with when i cut my dosage. We’ll see!   I keep telling myself This is all temporary!  One day at a time!

@FightinghardI'm cheering you on 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• Administrator

Unlikely that melatonin is causing your symptoms. It has a half-life of only a few hours. If you don't like the effect, you can stop it, of course.

You might find taking a small amount of melatonin is easier if you got 1mg tablets and halved or quartered them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Hi Fighting

Once you're in a better place, you might want to consider how you approach anticipatory anxiety.   Looking back over your thread, there are several times where your anticipation of an event and its possible effect seem to be triggers: events at your kids' school, the vacation trip and the visit to the doctor's office.   Anticipatory anxiety is awful because it robs you of any joy you may have from participating in something, and its all based on feelings about what may happen instead of what will probably happen.  It was (and sometimes still is) one of my major roadblocks.   One of the best ways to manage it is what you're already doing: practicing being present in the moment and recognizing negative thoughts as not being your reality.  You are making great progress!

Tim C

@Altostrata  thanks for the response!  When i decided to back off the melatonin it was because truly i was falling asleep many nights before i took it.  So i decided to just ‘half’ my dose  of .3 by opening my capsule and emptying it out.  I started that on a Sunday;  the next Tuesday i fell asleep and forgot to take it.  I continued the half dose for another week or so.  I was blaming my symptoms on my driving. But they continued to get worse even after i stopped driving fora bit.   It’s then that I decided to search up the melatonin only because i realized the timing of my change and symptoms. I’ve dropped off allot in the last few weeks in terms of functioning and symptoms.  Whether it’s inner restlessness or whatever it’s been strong. A few days i was so frantic and pacing, etc completely consumed with an awful feeling. This have calmed down but it’s still there to a degree.  I did increase my melatonin back to .3.  So I’m still in a tough place compared to where i Was but I’ma little better since the peak.  I’m going to ride this wave and cope the best i can.  

I’m really hoping you’re  right and the melatonin has nothing to do with this.  But i did find several publications that mention withdrawing from melatonin and Akathisia and movement disorders.  Reading that obviously concerned me so I’m going to take the safest approach i know how and taper very slowly.  It may be pure coincidence that I’m having my worst wave yet but I’m not taking the chance with how this has been.  I’ve contemplated staying on it for awhile longer but with all that I’ve read I’m just not sure In my case with my symptoms if it isn’t impeding my healing being on it.  So I’ll work slowly to come off.  If it’s not a hindrance for me, I’ll continue on the same path. If it is, I may see some improvements over time as i come off.  

I’ve weighed my melatonin capsules and there is a decent variation in weight. .149 to .170. (Its a .3 capsule) Not surprised by this.  So the average is about .154.  I’m going to start tapering the melatonin tonight in a safe, slow manner. I know there is no guidance on this but my thought is 5% per week unless i see an uptick in symptoms.  That May be hard since I’m in a windows and waves pattern but I’ll use my judgement.  Really, it’s the inner restlessness, fear, discomfort, no appetite, etc that I’ll use as my guide.  Being that melatonin is pretty benign in general and I’m on a low dose, I’m hopeful that these small changes won’t even register for me. I can increase my % as i go if things remain calm.  

Thanks for all that you do!  I do start therapy on Monday to work on my anxieties and managing this process.    I may be overreacting but After this past week I Think it’s only prudent to take it slow and use my body as the guide.  

Again, i appreciate your support and insight!

@mstimc  your point echoes my wife’s thoughts with my anxiety.  I definitely agree that it is contributing to this for sure. I’m a big believer in anxiety and the mind and it’s affect on symptoms, etc.  i have to say in this case, as i said to my wife, i think is a little of both.  This wave hit me May 26th which was 2 days after i cut my melatonin by half plus i didn’t take it at all that night.  From then on, my symptoms  have ramped up.  Now i do believe in doing mindfulness, etc but when i was hit the other day i was so distraught. I mean i was not in a good place.  I’ve settled down some but I’m far from my WD normal.  Its like I’m back in July or August.  Maybe I feel so bad because I’ve felt decent at times. I know I’m only 11 months out so far from the average time of WD.  I’ll keep plugging along.  

my plan is slowly taper melatonin; start therapy on Monday and work my tools each day.  I’ve just regressed so much. I’ll continue to heal.  I do see evidence of healing so i focus on that. 

Thanks for all of your support!  It’s greatly appreciated!

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Fightinghard said:

my plan is slowly taper melatonin; start therapy on Monday and work my tools each day.  I’ve just regressed so much. I’ll continue to heal.  I do see evidence of healing so i focus on that. 

Sounds like a good plan, Fighting.  And I think the therapist you mentioned will be able to help you with the melatonin taper and your anxiety.  That was a smart move on your part!

Tim C

@Rosetta one more quick question for you;  would you hold steady on the melatonin if you were me?  Until I’m less symptomatic?  I’m back up to the .3mg hoping that it can this down.  I was thinking of starting to reduce this week thinking that Ive already cut it quite a bit before i jumped back up and I’m already symptomatic. I wouldn’t go way down;  just the 5% which is less than i had cut before.  Maybe reduce it for a few times over several weeks and see if things remain roughly the same. I reduced it probably 40-50% before and then jumped up to 10% when symptoms started and then back to original dose. I’m learn melatonin probably should be treated similar to some ADs in that don’t use it as needed or erratically. Theres a small part of me that just wants to stop it and move forward but I’m scared of how bad things could get. Thanks again!

I don’t know.  I have not taken melatonin.  There is a thread here called melatonin for sleep.  I feel that with any hormone, there is a risk of upsetting the apple cart when a person is dealing with withdrawal.  So, I have not tried melatonin.

Altostrata knows far more than I ever will about withdrawal and the risks of various substances.  There are odd reactions here and there, but I think she wanted you to know that it’s more likely to be something else if that might help you feel more at ease.  From my experience, I think you are suffering from “anxiety,” again, a very inadequate word at times, and you are trying to find a factor that you can control to alleviate it.  There was a strong OCD component to WD for me.  I recognize that response to WD, and sometimes, we have to follow our obsessions through to the answer, whatever it may be, unless they are harmful to us.  

I will say that driving a lot is not something I would resume were I you. That is so hard on the nervous system.

Some of the spikes in symptoms just happen in a windows and waves pattern.  Trying to chase down the “cause” is a futile exercise.  Eventually, my obsessive need to figure it out gave way, and I just started to focus on distracting myself from all my feelings as best I could, and I waited to heal.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@Rosetta Thanks!  I’m calmer tonight and you’re right; my OCD/anxiety is getting the best of me.  I’m tapering tonight.  I’ll be safe and go  slow.  No reason to rush it. Alto was kind enough to share her thoughts.  She didn’t think it was likely the melatonin was an issue.  To your point, she’s probably right and I’m just in a wave right now.  My driving and activities probably triggered it. 

Thanks!  Your thoughts are appreciated!  Hope you’re doing well!

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I don’t know.  I have not taken melatonin.  There is a thread here called melatonin for sleep.  I feel that with any hormone, there is a risk of upsetting the apple cart when a person is dealing with withdrawal.  So, I have not tried melatonin.

Altostrata knows far more than I ever will about withdrawal and the risks of various substances.  There are odd reactions here and there, but I think she wanted you to know that it’s more likely to be something else if that might help you feel more at ease.  From my experience, I think you are suffering from “anxiety,” again, a very inadequate word at times, and you are trying to find a factor that you can control to alleviate it.  There was a strong OCD component to WD for me.  I recognize that response to WD, and sometimes, we have to follow our obsessions through to the answer, whatever it may be, unless they are harmful to us.  

I will say that driving a lot is not something I would resume were I you. That is so hard on the nervous system.

Some of the spikes in symptoms just happen in a windows and waves pattern.  Trying to chase down the “cause” is a futile exercise.  Eventually, my obsessive need to figure it out gave way, and I just started to focus on distracting myself from all my feelings as best I could, and I waited to heal.

@Fightinghard This is truly great advice!! Especially about distracting yourself from the symptoms!! I personally took up new hobbies to help myself distract. Paint by numbers, etchings, model cars, long walks, playing checkers with my son, board games, anything to pass the time and distract. This truly is a waiting game and the more you settle in and accept the process, the easier it will get. You can do this!! Just burn time and let your CNS heal :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

So i took a turn for the worse last night. I cut my melatonin from .110 to.105 (weight of powder).  I woke up at 12:30 with horrific feeling of fear. As the night went on i slept here and there but my muscles in my throat and chest don’t seem to be working right and my arms and legs are off.  I’ve never been so scared in my life. I’m not sure what will happen to me. I’ll continue to fight but my body seems to be having problems.  I’m hoping it settles down as this day goes on but this just feels different.  I think I’m in full force Akathisia or something.  Please pray for me. I appreciate all the support everyone has given me.  I need it more more than ever. 

• Mentor

Hi Fighting.  Prayers and positive thoughts going your way.  You've had a bad night, but its only one night.  None of this is forever, even if its hell right now.  Today is a chance to re-center yourself and practice some coping skills.  Hang in there and let us know how you're doing--we re here for you!

Tim C

Thank you my friend. I’m hanging in there. I’m coming to the realization that my melatonin has probably been influencing my symptoms for awhile now.   Maybe it was masking them?  I’m not sure but since I’ve dropped it I’ve increased in intensity of my symptoms.  I’ll have to slowly taper off and hope each drop doesn’t get worse.  I’m formulating a plan now. A small part of me thought  of increasing my dosage and see if it reduced things but in think I’m playing with fire that way. I have to stick with some things and stay consistent and get off this as quick but safely as possible. Maybe once I’m off I’ll really start to heal.  Tapering melatonin is tough because of the industry inconsistency in the actual supplements and trying to get small consistent amounts. I’m only on.3 but my reduction of.005 seems like it was too much.  I’ll do it again tonight and pray it’s better.  I’m thinking though that my symptoms really ramped up at night several hours after i took it. So it seems like the melatonin change is the problem. That said, I’ve measured the capsules and the range of weights was pretty wide.  Which makes me wonder if some of my bad nights in the past were just the change in dose.

This is hard. But I’ll get through it. Tonight May be much better. I’m using positive affirmations all day.  

I thought I’d give a quick update from yesterday.  So Last night was ‘better’ than the night before. The terror Never hit as hard but sleep was very broken and limited.  Overall this morning is about what has been the norm lately.  Very stiff muscles in my arms and hands. Usually at the day goes on I’m feeling better.  So hopefully later is much better.  We’ll see.  

So it appears that I’ve had a low level of Akathisia this entire time but really didn’t realize it.  It probably started when i first took the Zoloft and then to some degree calmed down over time.  I’ve been taking melatonin the entire time and looking back on changes I’ve made with it, in can see a pattern of increased symptoms,etc. I’m convinced more that the melatonin has been contributing to my Akathisia and really was never going to completely heal until i come off of it all together.  So in have my plan.  I’ve consulted a naturopath on how to taper melatonin and I’m going to use his suggestions but go even slower. Is about a 5% reduction ever 2 weeks to start. He suggested 10%.  Reducing my dose like about 50%  last month  no doubt has set me back to where i am now.  I’m hoping my body settles down and i start to feel better as my body adjusts.  

Anyone using melatonin i highly recommend you taper off of it.  I’m sure I’m an exception but there are studies out there with people having this problem.  

I want to clarify my list post;  I’m not telling people to taper off melatonin.  I’m saying when you stop it, taper off it to avoid problems. We’re all different.  In just want people to not make the mistake i did and i just cut it in half somewhat arbitrarily. The Majority  of people may never have a problem. 

Anyway, just didn’t want to give the wrong message. 

• Administrator
On 6/14/2021 at 5:07 AM, Fightinghard said:

there are studies out there with people having this problem.

There are no such studies. Melatonin is a rather benign way to get maybe a few hours of sleep. One can go off it quickly or taper if you think your sleep depends on it. Melatonin withdrawal syndrome is not a thing.

Some people have an immediate bad reaction to melatonin, though, and they should not take it. One mistake many people make is to take too high a dose, when 0.25mg might very well be enough.

You have been attributing symptoms to melatonin that are probably random waves from withdrawal. It probably would be better for you to stop ruminating about melatonin. If you don't trust it, don't take it, or you'll be posting about your suspicions forever.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.