astrilla

Astrilla: antipsychotic mess and sleep anxiety

Shep
16 hours ago, astrilla said:

I have been more stressed b/c of school lately. The next day 09/16, I decreased Lithium from 150mg to 75mg.

I had a really late night on Thursday and that threw me off. I have a yeast infection and those always drain me, and I am experiencing PMS so that can account for the low mood. I also get sleep disturbance every PMS time so that has been hard to deal with.

15 hours ago, astrilla said:

Before this feeling of busy mind and lowness set in, I had about 5-6 days last week where I felt good was getting some more solid sleep (5-6 hours) and I was listening to music again.

Sounds like you've got a lot going on in the way of stressors that can account for the symptom uptick, probably more so than the Lithium reductions. PMS can definitely cause issues during withdrawal.

PMS, PMDD, and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal and after

17 hours ago, astrilla said:

12:00PM – mild headache

3:00PM – ate snack + headache feeling better

17 hours ago, astrilla said:

11:00AM – mild headache

3:00PM – ate snack + headache feeling better

How often are you eating, astrilla? You don't mention breakfast in your notes. From these excerpts from your symptom notes, it looks like you may be dealing with some symptoms of low blood sugar - once you eat, the headache goes away. Please eat healthy meals and snacks throughout the day. That will keep your blood sugar even. 

It's been 44 days since you started taking Lithium, so you're a bit past the 30 day dependency mark. You may want to see how you're feeling after the PMS symptoms pass and make a decision on how rapidly to reduce the rest of the Lithium.

Please post your thoughts. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

astrilla

Thank you for the information. Yes I haven't been eating regularly but still eating a lot at snack/lunch and dinner times. Sometimes I get really distracted and miss meals. I am feeling kind of insane today. I am doing homework all day to keep my mind busy. As soon as I am unoccupied my mind starts running like mad. All sorts of random thoughts like things I would say in scenarios, thinking about taking care of responsibilities, thinking about what to do about certain things, just everything. 

About Seroquel, I got smaller (100mg) tablets so easier to cut into 150mg. Maybe the uneven cuts on the 200mg tablets I previously had can account for the recent sleep difficulty, after I was doing well for a few days. I didn't have enough tablets to do over the bad cuts. I feel so raw, messed up and desperate again whenever I have more trouble sleeping (than I already do). Had trouble sleeping last night when I went to be at midnight, because my thoughts were racing. Today I woke up at 2 and 5 am with racing thoughts and I didn't fall asleep again after the second waking. 

late-Dec. 2019 - Latuda 20mg started, mid-Jan. 2020 - Latuda increased to 40mg, late-Mar. 2020 - Guanfacine 1mg added, mid-April 2020 - Latuda increased to 60mg

July 16 2020 - Latuda decreased to 40mg + Guanfacine increase 2mg + Seroquel 25-50mg started

July 24 2020 - Seroquel increase 100mg

July 30 2020 - Latuda discontinued

Aug 7 2020 - Lithium 600mg started + Seroquel increase 200mg

Aug 12 2020 - Seroquel increased 400mg 

Aug 18 2020 - Seroquel decreased 200mg + Guanfacine discontinued

Aug 31 2020 - Guanfacine reinstated 1mg

Sept 1 2020 - Seroquel 150mg

Sept 3 2020 - Lithium decreased to 300mg

Sept 11 2020 - Lithium decreased to 150mg

Sept 16 2020 - Lithium decreased to 75mg

astrilla

I have to note that I feel SO on edge. Even just sitting in a chair feels so difficult and every second is going by so slow as I feel extreme, unwavering dread. Especially when alone at home, like I am right now.

late-Dec. 2019 - Latuda 20mg started, mid-Jan. 2020 - Latuda increased to 40mg, late-Mar. 2020 - Guanfacine 1mg added, mid-April 2020 - Latuda increased to 60mg

July 16 2020 - Latuda decreased to 40mg + Guanfacine increase 2mg + Seroquel 25-50mg started

Shep

Hang in there, astrilla. You've had a lot of drug changes recently, but you are making progress. Not getting dependent on lithium is a big deal in the long run. Hopefully these upticks in symptoms will pass soon. 

Try to eat more regularly and get as much rest as you can. Self-care is important. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

astrilla

Thank you for the encouragement Shep. How are you doing?

My partner has been waking me up around 5:30-5:45AM every morning which is 30-60 minutes earlier than I have been waking up for the past few weeks, and it's driving me up the wall. I assume they want to be intimate but I really can't do that right now given the Y.I., and PMS on top of that. I explained I'll be "out of commission" for about 9 days but they still persist.

I've told them I am starting to feel scared because I am mentally/emotionally low again. It's so frustrating, I don't know what to do, I don't want to hurt them and keep pushing them away every morning, but I need to sleep as late as possible. I want to lose it on my partner, they go to sleep around 9PM if not earlier. I wish I could be unconscious that long to escape my mind. For the past three days I have woken up at 5:30AM and laid in bed with my eyes closed but my mind racing for like 2-3 hours.

They have been trying to get me to buy a new a relatively inexpensive mattress as we are sleeping on a thick foam pad, but I have trouble making and purchases over $100 when I feel anxious like this. I have exams and big assignments pending and a lot of daily responsibilities with my child (who has also been really acting out) that I trying my damnedest to lose myself in. I try to workout at least 4 days a week for 45 minutes. Just suffering. Sorry for the rant and if any bit of it was TMI.

Maybe I will feel better over the weekend so I can cut Lithium again. I feel maybe 20% better than I did last weekend, when I was basically writhing in discomfort. It's becoming very challenging to eye ball the doses, I have to cut the powder from the capsule into a line (like one would cut coke) and then cut that into quarters. How do I determine when I could jump off?

9/19

5:40AM – woke up groggy and anxious

6:00AM – laid down, tossed and turned for a while

9:30AM – got up and ate breakfast

10:00AM – took Lithium 75mg

11:00AM - felt a little better mentally

4:00PM – had snack

7:00PM – had a big dinner

10:00PM – took Seroquel 150mg and Guanfacine 1mg

11:40PM – went to bed + fell asleep quickly

9/20

5:30AM - woke up very tired with a headache and anxiety

6:00AM – got out of bed

6:15AM – laid down for a couple hours, couldn’t sleep

9:30AM - took Lithium 75mg +ate breakfast

3:00PM – ate snack

8:15PM – ate dinner

10:00 PM – took Seroquel 150mg and Guanfacine 1mg

11:50 PM – went to bed + trouble falling asleep b/c mind racing

Middle of the night (unsure of time)-woke up twice to use bathroom, fell back asleep but took a while

9/21

5:40AM - woke up very tired and anxious

6:00AM – got out of bed

6:10AM – laid down for a couple hours, couldn’t sleep

9:30AM - took Lithium 75mg and ate breakfast

12:00PM - felt a little better mentally

2:00PM – ate lunch

10:00 PM – took Seroquel 150mg and Guanfacine 1mg

11:40 PM – went to bed + trouble falling asleep b/c mind racing

Middle of the night (unsure of time)-woke up to use bathroom, fell back asleep but took a while

9/22

5:30AM - woke up very tired

6:25AM – got out of bed

6:45AM – laid down for a couple hours, couldn’t sleep

8:30AM – ate breakfast

9:30AM - took Lithium 75mg

11:40AM – mild headache

3:00PM – ate snack

5:00PM – headache better

9:30 PM – took Seroquel 150mg and Guanfacine 1mg

11:20 PM – went to bed + trouble falling asleep b/c mind racing

Middle of the night (unsure of time)-woke up to use bathroom, fell back asleep but took a while

Edited by astrilla
typos

Shep
14 hours ago, astrilla said:

I've told them I am starting to feel scared because I am mentally/emotionally low again. It's so frustrating, I don't know what to do, I don't want to hurt them and keep pushing them away every morning, but I need to sleep as late as possible. I want to lose it on my partner, they go to sleep around 9PM if not earlier. I wish I could be unconscious that long to escape my mind. For the past three days I have woken up at 5:30AM and laid in bed with my eyes closed but my mind racing for like 2-3 hours.

You may want to have a read of some of the threads in the Relationship section. They may give you some ideas on how to talk to loved ones. Please see:

Helping family understand

14 hours ago, astrilla said:

Maybe I will feel better over the weekend so I can cut Lithium again. I feel maybe 20% better than I did last weekend, when I was basically writhing in discomfort. It's becoming very challenging to eye ball the doses, I have to cut the powder from the capsule into a line (like one would cut coke) and then cut that into quarters. How do I determine when I could jump off?

A 20% improvement is great, astrilla. Since you're a little beyond the one-month stopping point, you could reduce another 50% before stopping. Or even go a bit more gradually. It's up to you and how you feel about stopping at this point. 

You've been on lithium for a total of 48 days, so you may have developed some dependency, although on a lower dose at this point. The fact that you're feeling better during this rapid taper is a good sign, especially while dealing with PMS and other stressors in your life.