SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Lostinwonderland: looking for help and answers

Lostinwonderland

So back in January Of 2020 I was put on celexa 40mg for anxiety, well on the 11th day I had some sort of reaction. I was walking into wal mart and everything went dreamlike And has stayed that way, I also haven’t had an appetite Since, I have had also light sensitivity, Anhedonia, Apathy,no desire, no motivation, digestive issues, Brain fog, headaches, cognitive impairment, memory loss, severe derealization that never goes away, tremors, leg pain, hearing problems, can’t eat certain foods or ill start shaking and get brain fog worse, not so great sleep, I took celexa 40mg for 11 days and stopped cold turkey on February 7 then on April 18 I went on Zoloft 50mg for one month and also stopped cold turkey. Afterwards I haven’t been on a single drug. I still have derealization and can’t stand it, I can’t feel the days or seasons anymore, I can’t feel much I feel detached and dead on the inside. I don’t enjoy anything, music, tv, just nothing, stomach never growls nor I never crave food. I’m nonfunctional I can’t work and I was a supervisor at the same job for 3 years. Is all this permanent. It’s been 7-8 months since celexa and derealization, 

January -February celexa 40mg for 11 days. Adverse reaction cold turkey

April-May Zoloft for 30 days cold turkey. 

No further meds since then

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lostinwonderland: looking for help and answers
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Lostinwonderland.

You had an adverse reaction to the Celexa, which means that the drug is basically poison to your system.  Some people's nervous system simply can't tolerate psychiatric drugs.   The symptoms you describe are very typical of an adverse reaction.  

It is not permanent.  You will heal, but unfortunately we can't predict how long it will take.  Everyone is different. Healing is a slow process, often frustratingly slow, but over time you will gradually recover your functions and the symptom will fade.  Time is the cure.  This link give a good explanation of the healing process:

Brain Remodelling 

What was your reaction to the Zoloft during the month you were on it?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

My reaction to Zoloft was tremors, vision problems, And severe memory loss, dementia like , really bad anxiety and just stronger symptoms of what the celexa did. When I stopped ct I was bedridden for about two months. I had never took a psych drug before and was started off on 40mg of celexa which Was probably not good. The brainfog has lifted a lot but that’s about the only system that has left. 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Lostinwonderland said:

My reaction to Zoloft was tremors, vision problems, And severe memory loss, dementia like , really bad anxiety and just stronger symptoms of what the celexa did

So you had an adverse reaction as with the celexa, except even stronger.  As I said, your system doesn't do well with these psychiatric drugs.  Time, as I wrote, is the cure.  Try to have patience and be kind to yourself, meaning take it easy.  Avoid stress as much as is possible. Some other suggestions: eat a healthy diet, avoid caffeine, alcohol, sugar, gentle exercise like a 30 minute walk in nature (as opposed to strenuous exercise which can be too much for your sensitized system.  Try to distract yourself--Youtube, music, meditation, whatever works for you.  Take it one day at a time.  When things are really bad, take it one minute at a time.  

Take a look at these non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal/adverse reaction and see which you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

So exactly happens to brain in an adverse reaction?

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, Lostinwonderland said:

So exactly happens to brain in an adverse reaction?

Basically, if your system isn't compatible with psychiatric drugs, your body tries to reject them and in so doing throws itself into chaos.  That means your system becomes very sensitized.  The body's natural ability to bring itself back into balance (homeostasis) kicks into gear and start you on the journey back to normalcy, but this healing process takes time.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I'm glad the brain can fix itself, I know it does for a fact, my sister had laser surgery done to her brain for epilepsy am it took 3 years but she's back to herself. I explained to her every thing i was going through and she said she went through the same thing after surgery but we are two different cases but maybe the brain has a routine of healing itself not matter of what it is rather tumor,surgery or medications. That's why we all experience so many similar things i dont know just a weird thought

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

Recovery isn't linear.  It happens in a windows and waves pattern:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

SA strongly encourages members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to get through difficult periods.  It's also helpful to learn to accept the situation.  Doing this means that you don't add stress to the situation:

Acceptance

Non-drug techniques to cope

On 4/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.

Have y'all seen anyone else get dpdr from an adverse reaction, I have been looking and haven't found anyone

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

A person who experiences an adverse reaction to a drug may experience similar symptoms to people who experience withdrawal symptoms.

This is SA's topic:  derealization-or-depersonalization-dr-and-dp

Thank you chessiecat 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

Do colds or flu make symptoms worse? I've been sick for two days and see my symptoms are worse

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved you post to the existing topic about waves and windows.  the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization

Being sick adds stress to the body and yes it can make your withdrawal symptoms worse.

Please create your drug signature.  You may need to use a computer to do this.  Your drug signature allows the mods to see your drug history at a glance.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Back to work with sparks

So after 7-8 months( February 4)off celexa 40mg for 11 days then CT, and Off Zoloft 50mg for 3 months CT, stopped May 17th after taking it 30 days and bedridden almost since I have some how gotten a new job and started it, it's not easy at all considering all my symptoms have gotten worse since my cold a few days ago but I sorta , tiny tiny bit enjoy it, my derealization has gotten worse but I keep training, memory , cognitive function and vision have gotten worse but my drive is sparking. I'm finding myself competitive but not on the degree I was but is a trait I'm seeing spark too. I also notice difference spark of humor as well just sparks through but these sparks are kinda making me say hummmm . I also have sparks wherein playing a game this week not long because I get confused easily, I do notice my agitation is a lot higher than normal. Now keeping mind when I went to the interview for this job I was so nervous I was shaking, I got it and I started it a few days ago but no anxiety. Derealization though has gotten worse. Memory is so bad I still can direct my way around a small town I have lived in for awhile. Im also getting this stabbing sharp pain in my head in the same spot. I heard this to be called brain zaps maybe. Anywho I'm seeing sparks of things I lost since getting this job or maybe it's timing but it feels good to have these sparks of things  I thought was gone forever . 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

I've your new post to your Introduction topic.  This keeps your history in one place.  Only 1 Introduction topic per member.

As previously requested please create your drug signature.  It makes is easier for us to see your drug history at a glance and not have to read back through your posts to get the information we need to offer suggestions.

On 8/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, ChessieCat said:

Please create your drug signature.  You may need to use a computer to do this.  Your drug signature allows the mods to see your drug history at a glance.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Is my signature correct?

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

LostinWonderland, your reaction might be a coincidence with another problem that just happened while you were on celexa or not. Everything is possible these days. For example, your symptoms are similar to disseminated Lyme disease. Were you ever bitten by a tick? Or had a scratch from a cat? Or something with any animal? Be sure to check that out. If there is no connection perhaps celexa the problem.

https://lymediseaseassociation.org/blogs/presidents-blog/what-are-lyme-disease-symptoms-signs/

May - october 2017 - Mirtazapine from 7.5 - 12mg mg for insomnia

May - october 2017 Lyrica 100mg a day.

October-november 2017 - both mirt and Lyrica, or one of them went paradoxical, exteme vertigo after Lyrica. Cut down Lyrica to 3x25mg a day, same vertigo, CT Lyrica. Insomnia developed severe on 12 MG mirtazapine, reduced to 7.5, still insomnia, reduced to 3.75 still.insomnia. CT mirt. 

November 2017 - present burning feet, pins and needles, muscle spasms, myoclonus limbs, head, bugs crawling my head burning hands, left side worst. Ears cracking sensation.

May 2019 - put on gabapentin 100mg 4xday to counteract insomnia

It could be that or a ton of other things. Brain tumor, MS, anything affecting the brain but no tick bites and no cat scratches. So im still guessing celexa but I have notice a shooting stabbing pain in the same exact spot of my head and it hurts but only last a few seconds I just say well maybe I have a brain tumor. I had a CT scan done but no apparent tumor but the doctor did say the CT wouldn’t show that

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Lostinwonderland said:

I have notice a shooting stabbing pain in the same exact spot of my head and it hurts but only last a few seconds I just say well maybe I have a brain tumor. I had a CT scan done but no apparent tumor but the doctor did say the CT wouldn’t show that

If you are still concerned about it I suggest that you get it investigated further.  If it turns out to be nothing then at least you will be able to cross that off your list of suspected causes.  And if it does happen to be something, then you can get something done about it, and sooner rather than later.

Seems silly to continue to worry about something if you can find out for sure.

I'm not worried about it, I notice some days it's good and some days it's bad i m guess it's brain zaps 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Gridley said:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

So I wanted to post some of my improvements. Since January I have showed slowed improvements but hey they still matter to me. I'm not bedridden no longer,yay! I'm back working yay! Still got dpdr  but I see that can take awhile to go away but it has improved, cognitive is a bit better  if on my wave days it's pretty bad lol vision isn't too better but I have seen days where it's better, brainfog  is so much better but I still have along way to go but I'm glad to see improvements it gives me hope 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Administrator

Good to hear @Lostinwonderland. No longer bedridden and back to work -- that's not small. Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

PS Please put the month and year to the events in your signature. 🙂

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

Adverse reaction

Any success stories from adverse reactions? I seem I can’t find any

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the search results for adverse reaction in the Success Stories forum:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=adverse reaction&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=28

These are links to the results from clicking on the tags immediate adr and adverse reaction.  You will need to check these out yourself to see if the members reported any improvements:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/tags/immediate adr/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/tags/adverse reaction/

• 1 month later...

Update 10 months since Adverse reaction

So it’s been 10 months since my adverse reaction to celexa 40 mg. 6 months since Zoloft 50 mg CT after 30 days. So here’s my update, the derealization has faded but is still present, I still have a hard time knowing what day it is (feeling time and atmosphere) apathy isn’t so bad, vision problems still persist (light sensitivity, blurred vision, dimmed vision and floaters) they have eased up just a very very little. Brain fog is improving a lot and memory is too. I’m getting my memories of my past back but slowly. Anhedonia is still pretty strong but have seen a little improvement there. Depersonalization is improved but not greatly, sometimes I forget I’m right handed and my family seems not quite like mine or I’m disconnected (very weird) but comes and goes. Sleep is 10 hours but if I wake up or get woken up I feel very drunk and vision is very blurry then. I’m still working 30 hours a week but have done 50 hours once and a few 40 hour weeks. Usually my first day off I’m hit with brain fog like I strained my nervous system. Cognitive skills are back and forth, some days I’m sharp or days  I don’t even understand simple things. Appetite isn’t changed much but my stomach has growled a few times lately which tells me it’s improving. Digestive issues have really improved. It’s just a little slower than it use to be. Hearing comes and goes. My question is does anhedonia completely go away eventually? If so who has it happen? I want to enjoy music again so bad and be able to get into things I use too. Such as driving god I use to love it now my wife drives me around but I will have my days where I will drive. Besides that I’m not all that worried I mean I’m sure my vision is going to improved over the years I don’t expect that to improve very fast.  I have learned something though. The easiest thing I ever did was lose myself, the hardest thing I ever did was finding myself again. Which I’m still doing

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

My question is has anyone ever overcame anhedonia induced by ssri?

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• 1 month later...

11 month update

well its been 11 months, here's my update, I still have vision problems and light sensitivity.  I dont see that changing. Dpdr is not as bad but I have severe moments and moments of clarity but never connected to time and space it seems. Cognitive impairment is still present idk if that will change i can't watch TV long, i just can't get into it or understand it fully, earworms (music in head) isn't as bad. Anhedonia is still there. But my appetite is trying to come back, my stomach growls sometimes. Its finally talking to me. I dont feel hungry but know I am. Memory is still bad. Stabbing head pain has left but I quit smoking so im wondering if the two may be connected.. I just had my 3rd child 5 days so I stopped and since then no stabbing pains. I still work. 40-55 hours a week and boy is it hard. I see some of my personality returning but still very anhedonic and no motivation. I sleep a whole lot but still have vivid dreams. My strangest symptom is where I feel very disconnected from my kids and family, like I don't fully connect or recognize like my brain doesn't register them. This is a terrifying symptom. Any advice as to what this is or any experience with them?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• Moderator Emeritus

On 8/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, ChessieCat said:

Only 1 Introduction topic per member.

As previously advised each member has only one (1) Introduction topic.  This keeps their history in one place and is the best place to ask questions and journal their progress.

Please do not create another Introduction topic.  Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

apathy-anhedonia-emotional-numbness-emotional-anesthesia

derealization-or-depersonalization-dr-and-dp

I've included this one because I think it is a related:

brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-concentration-cognitive-and-memory-problems

See #26 on this list of withdrawal symptoms:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Lostinwonderland said:

11 month update

well its been 11 months, here's my update, I still have vision problems and light sensitivity.  I dont see that changing. Dpdr is not as bad but I have severe moments and moments of clarity but never connected to time and space it seems. Cognitive impairment is still present idk if that will change i can't watch TV long, i just can't get into it or understand it fully, earworms (music in head) isn't as bad. Anhedonia is still there. But my appetite is trying to come back, my stomach growls sometimes. Its finally talking to me. I dont feel hungry but know I am. Memory is still bad. Stabbing head pain has left but I quit smoking so im wondering if the two may be connected.. I just had my 3rd child 5 days so I stopped and since then no stabbing pains. I still work. 40-55 hours a week and boy is it hard. I see some of my personality returning but still very anhedonic and no motivation. I sleep a whole lot but still have vivid dreams. My strangest symptom is where I feel very disconnected from my kids and family, like I don't fully connect or recognize like my brain doesn't register them. This is a terrifying symptom. Any advice as to what this is or any experience with them?

U had your 3rd baby 5 days ago? Congrats! In terms to ur disconnection to ur family , have u tried closing ur eyes and instead of looking at them, smelling them or touching their arms , face , hair? So try to connect without involvement of ur vision. I have started looking into old pictures of my family a lot, including myself, thinking that maybe it ll prompt my brain to retrieve memories and get out of this horrible DP. 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 10/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, Lostinwonderland said:

Yes, Alot of members had anhedonia and recovered completely.
 I have collected some success stories of people who had this particular symptom and recovered. They will remind you in times of distress that this condition is just temporary.

Aeroman
Pug
Risperdalhater
Jemima
imac

and these stories are from benzobuddies website
Fakeit
Don Killian
lostdog
Dave86

Best wishes,

Edited by Amira