SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

nimdornn: amitriptyline / Elavil withdrawals

nimdornn

Hello everyone, this is my first time ever really posting on a forum. I was prescribed elavil bout a year ago, for pain. I was never depressed or anxious until coming off of this medication. The hard part for me is that I do not see a lot of people post their experiences with this medication. At the high end I was taking 75mg then went to 50 then to 25 all of this went fine. Then when I started taking 12.5 and less things got very bad very fast. I was having panic attacks, crying spells, all the flu like symptoms and extreme vertigo. I have been off this drug for 7 weeks and it was hell at first but slowly getting better. But still to this day I am getting anxiety and depression spells almost daily.(although its not as bad and it doesn't tend to last very long.) I am at my wits end with this and was wondering if i should just give up and start taking it again or keep pushing though it.

Started taking Elavil around January of 2019. began tapering in may of 2020. from 25 to 0. went from 25mg to 50 to 75 a week apart from each other. went from 75 to 50, waited two weeks, then from 50 to 25 and stayed there for a few months. Tapered from 25 to 0 in month. Took Atavan 4 times during the withdrawals and have not taken it since.

July 1st 2020 last dose of elavil at 5mg.

• ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME enquiry sent: Amitriptyline withdrawals
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA,

So that we know exactly what drugs you have taken in the past and are currently taking, please create your drug signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have this information we will better able to offer suggestions.

If you have only been off for 7 weeks then it might be possible for you to reinstate.  Please do not go back to the last dose you took because it might make things worse.  Please let us know if you would like to reinstate and we can suggest a dose you could try.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to nimdornn: amitriptyline / Elavil withdrawals
  • Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to give you this link which explains how to get the dose you need:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @nimdornn, and welcome from me as well. One of our moderators @composter is currently successfully tapering amitriptyline. You might want to check out her thread, as she has some interesting insight and is very supportive. 

Please complete your signature as @ChessieCat has asked above. You will get a tremendous amount of assistance and support here as long as you provide all information which is asked of you. The moderators here probably know more about antidepressant withdrawal than anyone else on the planet. Many years of data gathering, research, myth-debunking and peer-support has gone into the making of this site, and they will have reasons for asking you specific questions. 

Personally if it were me, I'd look into reinstating a very small amount of elavil and slowly tapering back off after you stabilize. Please read the link Chessie provided on reinstatement and consider carefully. We have many members who tapered too quickly or cold-turkeyed and have successfully reinstated, stabilized and began to taper. I am one of those people. We also have members who decided against reinstatement, and some of them are struggling with significant withdrawal symptoms months or even years later. 

If you decide on reinstatement, please let us know and one of the mods can help you find the right dose. Spoiler alert: it will be a MUCH smaller dose than you would think. Your system has been sensitized by withdrawal and a little will go a very long way.

Again, welcome to SA. I'm glad you've found your way here. This is your introduction topic where you will post all questions and updates. Please let us know your decision.

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nim,

I see that you’ve updated your signature. Can you make a few edits to it? We like to see the approx date that you made the dose changes. So for example: Month Year - dose (any symptoms)

To me it sounds like you were on 25 mg for the longest. The other doses were just for 1 week at a time or so. It’s likely your brain became dependent on the 25 mg. (Q1) While on the 25 mg were you feeling relatively good or did you have symptoms? 

(Q2) Can you also describe how you did the taper? A drop from 25 to 12.5 mg is unfortunately way too fast for the brain to handle because it is a 50% drop and as we’ve learned (but unfortunately many doctors do not know) you need to reduce gradually for the receptors to adjust. 10% per month is the way to go to reduce harm. 

In medicine they say Amitriptyline is a “messy” drug and this is due to the many neurotransmitters it affects. Not only serotonin and norepinephrine but also dopamine and several others. I am sorry you are going through a difficult time and you are not alone. The taper was much too fast unfortunately. 

At this point we can explore a reinstatement if you’re willing. We can’t say for sure whether this will help. I personally had good results but I had never stopped my drug (just tapered too quickly). As @Dejavu mentioned we’ll need to try a low dose first because there is a chance you are hypersensitized since it’s been more than 1 month since any dose. 

To help us out further can you answer the above two Qs as well as:

3. Do you still have access to the medication? (Remaining tablets, the ability to order refills, opportunity to return to your doctor and have them prescribe lower doses.)

4. Have you read the links Chessie provided above, especially the one on reinstatement? I need your confirmation on this. 

Edited by composter
Typos

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

34 minutes ago, composter said:

Hi Nim,

I see that you’ve updated your signature. Can you make a few edits to it? We like to see the approx date that you made the dose changes. So for example: Month Year - dose (any symptoms)

To me it sounds like you were on 25 mg for the longest. The other doses were just for 1 week at a time or so. It’s likely your brain became dependent on the 25 mg. (Q1) While on the 25 mg were you feeling relatively good or did you have symptoms? 

(Q2) Can you also describe how you did the taper? A drop from 25 to 12.5 mg is unfortunately way too fast for the brain to handle because it is a 50% drop and as we’ve learned (but unfortunately many doctors do not know) you need to reduce gradually for the receptors to adjust. 10% per month is the way to go to reduce harm. 

In medicine they say Amitriptyline is a “messy” drug and this is due to the many neurotransmitters it affects. Not only serotonin and norepinephrine but also dopamine and several others. I am sorry you are going through a difficult time and you are not alone. The taper was much too fast unfortunately. 

At this point we can explore a reinstatement if you’re willing. We can’t say for sure whether this will help. I personally had good results but I had never stopped my drug (just tapered too quickly). As @Dejavu mentioned we’ll need to try a low dose first because there is a chance you are hypersensitized since it’s been more than 1 month since any dose. 

To help us out further can you answer the above two Qs as well as:

3. Do you still have access to the medication? (Remaining tablets, the ability to order refills, opportunity to return to your doctor and have them prescribe lower doses.)

4. Have you read the links Chessie provided above, especially the one on reinstatement? I need your confirmation on this. 

While on the 25 everything was fine, unfortunately I do not remember the dates at all. I did the taper from 25 to 12.5 then the 5mg then to 2.5 then 0. I can still get a script for this drug, but at this point im starting to think it should be best to just continue the process without it. I do not have panic attacks and many things like the flu symptoms anymore. I only really get a mild amount of anxiety and depression in comparison to when i started this journey, and they have been slowly getting better, along with leg cramps that have been getting a lot better too.

Started taking Elavil around January of 2019. began tapering in may of 2020. from 25 to 0. went from 25mg to 50 to 75 a week apart from each other. went from 75 to 50, waited two weeks, then from 50 to 25 and stayed there for a few months. Tapered from 25 to 0 in month. Took Atavan 4 times during the withdrawals and have not taken it since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok I’m glad things are improving for you both physically and emotionally. Do let us know if anything changes and you would like to reinstate. 

Your fast taper may be considered similar to going off cold turkey from the drug and many people experience bad crashes 3 months later and 1 year after going to zero. Even though you feel better now it may get worse later. We just don’t know. Reinstatement can prevent this if it works for you. I understand it’s a tricky decision to weigh. 

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

51 minutes ago, composter said:

Ok I’m glad things are improving for you both physically and emotionally. Do let us know if anything changes and you would like to reinstate. 

Your fast taper may be considered similar to going off cold turkey from the drug and many people experience bad crashes 3 months later and 1 year after going to zero. Even though you feel better now it may get worse later. We just don’t know. Reinstatement can prevent this if it works for you. I understand it’s a tricky decision to weigh. 

I am pretty young, and doing many things like therapy and acupuncture to help. I also was not on this drug for that long, so im thinking that things should continue to go up. Of course there are hard days, but not nearly as bad as before or as consistent. Also, if i was to reinstate how many mg would I start back up at?

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m glad you’re seeking out therapy and acupuncture. Those were both tools I used to manage my symptoms. 

Unfortunately age and time on the drug isn’t really a predictor of whether or not you experience withdrawal. I am in my early 20s and was on 10 Mg amitriptyline for only 3 months before going through bad withdrawal from a fast taper. You might be a lucky one who won’t have problems but we simply don’t know. 

I’m consulting with other mods to find a dose reinstatement we would suggest for your case. 

Edited by composter

1 minute ago, composter said:

I’m glad you’re seeking out therapy and acupuncture. Those were both tools I used to manage my symptoms. 

Unfortunately age and time on the drug isn’t really a predictor of whether or not you experience withdrawal. I am in my early 20s and was on 10 Mg amitriptyline for only 3 months before going through bad withdrawal from a fast taper. You might be a lucky one who won’t have problems but we simply don’t know. 

I’m consulting with other mods to find a dose reinstatement we would suggest for your case. 

okay, im hoping i am one of the lucky ones then. I am also in my early 20s. I feel like i have made a ton of progress, and while being on even a small dose of the drug, I was feeling dramatically worse than I am now. Thank you for all your help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Nimdornn, you state you went on Elavil for pain - did you have find a resolution for the pain? 

Please add the month and year to your signature. When did you completely stop taking Elavil? 

It's great you're seeing so many improvements. How is your sleep? 

4 hours ago, Shep said:

Nimdornn, you state you went on Elavil for pain - did you have find a resolution for the pain? 

Please add the month and year to your signature. When did you completely stop taking Elavil? 

It's great you're seeing so many improvements. How is your sleep? 

I stopped taking it on july first. I do not remember the dates or anything like that when I started taking it and when i started the withdrawals. All i remember is that the withdrawals got horrible in early june when i reduced my does very fast. Sleep is actually amazing. I do not struggle with it at all. I just wake up a little anxious but that seems to go away in an hour or two. I also am anxious about taking anything because i do not want it to make my pain worse but i do realize that this is all just unrealistic fear.

they want me to take Prilosec for some stomach problems. do you think that could mess this process up? i havent been able to eat and i think it should help.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, nimdornn said:

I stopped taking it on july first. I do not remember the dates or anything like that when I started taking it and when i started the withdrawals.

From what you’ve shared this is July 1 2020 yes? We’ll still need you to update your signature with the approx Month and Year of when you started, the Month and Year of when you began tapering, and then your final dose. This is important as a quick reference for us all to help. 

4 minutes ago, nimdornn said:

they want me to take Prilosec for some stomach problems. do you think that could mess this process up? i havent been able to eat and i think it should help.

Can you describe what your stomach problems are like? Are you having bloating, nausea, gas, reflux? There are so many types of stomach problems. 

Keep in mind if you add this drug you may have to taper off of it. See: 

My preference is to always try non-drug techniques first. I do things like hot packs or take peppermint tea if I have an upset stomach. There are certain teas or foods that may be helpful too. 

3 minutes ago, composter said:

From what you’ve shared this is July 1 2020 yes? We’ll still need you to update your signature with the approx Month and Year of when you started, the Month and Year of when you began tapering, and then your final dose. This is important as a quick reference for us all to help. 

Can you describe what your stomach problems are like? Are you having bloating, nausea, gas, reflux? There are so many types of stomach problems. 

Keep in mind if you add this drug you may have to taper off of it. See: 

My preference is to always try non-drug techniques first. I do things like hot packs or take peppermint tea if I have an upset stomach. There are certain teas or foods that may be helpful too. 

If I eat my throat and chest gets all tight, even small amounts of food like a few crackers.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, nimdornn said:

If I eat my throat and chest gets all tight, even small amounts of food like a few crackers.

Okay yeah that doesn’t sound like something Prilosec would be used to address. We really don’t like it when doctors just try to throw prescriptions at the problem.  

This definitely sounds like a nervous system related withdrawal symptom. Is it a new symptom or is it something you’ve been having since you stopped the drug?

Any foods that you can tolerate? Soft foods like applesauce, yogurt, liquids, etc?

Again, please edit your signature with Months and Year. 

Edited by composter

5 minutes ago, composter said:

Okay yeah that doesn’t sound like something Prilosec would be used to address. We really don’t like it when doctors just try to throw prescriptions at the problem.  

This definitely sounds like a nervous system related withdrawal symptom. Is it a new symptom or is it something you’ve been having since you stopped the drug?

Any foods that you can tolerate? Soft foods like applesauce, yogurt, liquids, etc?

Again, please edit your signature with Months and Year. 

I did edit it, thats all the info i got. It started happening recently and no i cant eat anything, i have lost 40 pounds and i have some symptoms like burning stomach, feeling like i keep swallowing food even tho i have already done that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you give me an approximate date of when this symptom began? 

To me it sounds like an issue with your autonomic GI function, particularly peristalsis which is the movement of food through the GI tract. Further tells me this is a withdrawal symptom. 

Can you take nutritional liquid supplements like Ensure, Orgain, etc? You can find these at any pharmacies as well as places like Walmart, Costco and Sams Club in bulk. 

You’ll need to ensure you’re still getting nutrition in. 

4 hours ago, composter said:

Can you give me an approximate date of when this symptom began? 

To me it sounds like an issue with your autonomic GI function, particularly peristalsis which is the movement of food through the GI tract. Further tells me this is a withdrawal symptom. 

Can you take nutritional liquid supplements like Ensure, Orgain, etc? You can find these at any pharmacies as well as places like Walmart, Costco and Sams Club in bulk. 

You’ll need to ensure you’re still getting nutrition in. 

it started about the 18th, but all the other things point toward acid reflux

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Shep said:

15 hours ago, nimdornn said:

they want me to take Prilosec for some stomach problems.

Nimdornn, did the reason you started taking Elvail (for pain) ever get resolved? Is this connected to any of your current problems regarding stomach issues and problems swallowing? 

17 hours ago, nimdornn said:

Sleep is actually amazing. I do not struggle with it at all. I just wake up a little anxious but that seems to go away in an hour or two.

This is excellent, Nimdornn. I'm very glad to read you're sleeping well. 

5 hours ago, Shep said:

Nimdornn, did the reason you started taking Elvail (for pain) ever get resolved? Is this connected to any of your current problems regarding stomach issues and problems swallowing? 

This is excellent, Nimdornn. I'm very glad to read you're sleeping well. 

No, im still in pain due to a rib injury, but they think the chest pain may also be related to my stoamch, therefore they wanna try the prilosec.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, nimdornn said:

No, im still in pain due to a rib injury, but they think the chest pain may also be related to my stoamch, therefore they wanna try the prilosec.

Since you're sleeping well, this really sounds like your issues are related to the rib injury and not withdrawal. Prilosec comes with side effects, including blocking the absorption of key vitamins like B12 (as written about in this post here). 

If you wish to take this drug, please follow up with your doctor to see if you can find answers for how to heal the rib injury. That seems to the main problem, as opposed to psychiatric drug withdrawal. You may also want to join a forum for general health or for people dealing with these types of GI issues to see if there are more natural holistic ways of improving without taking pharmaceuticals. 

The other option is to try a very small reinstatement dose, as other mods have suggested, to resolve any symptoms that may be related to Elavil. I would try that before adding in a new drug like Prilosec. 

5 hours ago, Shep said:

Since you're sleeping well, this really sounds like your issues are related to the rib injury and not withdrawal. Prilosec comes with side effects, including blocking the absorption of key vitamins like B12 (as written about in this post here). 

If you wish to take this drug, please follow up with your doctor to see if you can find answers for how to heal the rib injury. That seems to the main problem, as opposed to psychiatric drug withdrawal. You may also want to join a forum for general health or for people dealing with these types of GI issues to see if there are more natural holistic ways of improving without taking pharmaceuticals. 

The other option is to try a very small reinstatement dose, as other mods have suggested, to resolve any symptoms that may be related to Elavil. I would try that before adding in a new drug like Prilosec. 

I started taking the prilosec, I had another doctors app, and we decided that all these new things sound like GI issues, I am also seeing a GI specialist and doing a few test with them. the prilosec will only be taken for 2 weeks as a way to help diagnose a problem. Thank you for replying, I do really think the pain is worse from GI symptoms, I have always had stomach problems and now they are getting out of hand.

okay, after today i am for sure going back on the medication, ended up in the er from an extreme anxiety attack, and now everytime i eat my face and arms get all tingly, i wanna just go back to what i was at,25mg since life was so good then. Then when im ready I would try and titrate down 10 percent a month, let me know if i should start smaller.

• Moderator Emeritus

You should DEFINITELY start lower!!!! You've been off almost two months. During that time, your brain will have made some adjustments to being without the drug. Also, your brain and CNS is already sensitized from the cold turkey 2 months ago.

We recommend that you initiate a very small reinstatement, wait for it to reach steady state in your system (4-7 days), after which we can evaluate and updose slightly if needed. Reinstating a too-high dose can lead to kindling, prolong the wait for stability and cause symptoms to get even worse. We often find that tiny reinstatements go a very long way. Another reason for starting low is that, if the reinstatement does not work, you will not have bombarded your sensitive nervous  system with a massive dose, and if it does work, you will have less to taper off after you stabilize. 

I am thinking a reinstatement of perhaps 2mg would be reasonable, but I am tagging some of the more experienced mods for their advice and assistance. @Altostrata @ChessieCat @Gridley @composter @Shep - do you have better advice for nimdornn?

I do want to say that I am personally glad you are going to reinstate. I know it was the best decision I've ever made. We have a number of members who decided against reinstatement and who are still struggling with significant withdrawal symptoms months and in a few cases, years down the road. 

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

6 minutes ago, Dejavu said:

You should DEFINITELY start lower!!!! You've been off almost two months. During that time, your brain will have made some adjustments to being without the drug. Also, your brain and CNS is already sensitized from the cold turkey 2 months ago.

We recommend that you initiate a very small reinstatement, wait for it to reach steady state in your system (4-7 days), after which we can evaluate and updose slightly if needed. Reinstating a too-high dose can lead to kindling, prolong the wait for stability and cause symptoms to get even worse. We often find that tiny reinstatements go a very long way. Another reason for starting low is that, if the reinstatement does not work, you will not have bombarded your sensitive nervous  system with a massive dose, and if it does work, you will have less to taper off after you stabilize. 

I am thinking a reinstatement of perhaps 2mg would be reasonable, but I am tagging some of the more experienced mods for their advice and assistance. @Altostrata @ChessieCat @Gridley @composter @Shep - do you have better advice for nimdornn?

I do want to say that I am personally glad you are going to reinstate. I know it was the best decision I've ever made. We have a number of members who decided against reinstatement and who are still struggling with significant withdrawal symptoms months and in a few cases, years down the road. 

hmm thats a good point, I think that i want to take a higher dose as it really did help with my pain and just over all life. My life was amazing at this time while i was taking it. Also, I did not stop cold turkey, I weaned down over a month to 0 which i understand that was much too fast. i do not think that i will be hyper sensitive to the drug on restarting. maybe 5mg would be better, i have no idea how to get down to 2 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, nimdornn said:

I think that i want to take a higher dose as it really did help with my pain and just over all life. My life was amazing at this time while i was taking it.

Just because it made you feel better before you stopped the drug doesn't mean that the same dose will work the same way again.  After you get off your drug too quickly and experience withdrawal symptoms, things have changed in you system and taking too much can make things worse.

Please read Post #1 of this topic which explains why:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

• Moderator Emeritus

Such a fast taper is considered a cold turkey. I did the same thing. I was fine for a while, but when the withdrawal did hit, it hit hard. Unfortunately, I reinstated 25mg ot zoloft, which was the last dose I felt well on. While reinstatement was the right thing to do, it was way too high, and I badly kindled myself. It took me 10 months to stabilize. 

To get to a 2mg dose, you would either make your own liquid (which is what I do) or cut and weigh your pills. There are topics here on this site on how to taper amitriptyline. I am on a cell phone at this time and cannot provide links here, but one of the other mods can. To do a proper 10% taper, you will eventually need to choose one option or the other. 

I want to really urge you again not to jump to a high dose. I know you felt good on 25mg, but you need to understand that you don't have the same nervous system you had then. It has now been sensitized by the fast taper/cold turkey. That's why you're having withdrawal symptoms

If you succeed in frying your CNS with a too-high dose, there won't be a lot we can do for you here. You would just have to wait out the symptoms until you stabilize, which could take quite a while. 

Please don't do anything rash until you hear from one of the other mods.

• Moderator Emeritus

I see @ChessieCat has weighed in. Thanks, Chessie. Do you think 2mg would be an appropriate reinstatement dose, or too high?

2 minutes ago, Dejavu said:

Such a fast taper is considered a cold turkey. I did the same thing. I was fine for a while, but when the withdrawal did hit, it hit hard. Unfortunately, I reinstated 25mg ot zoloft, which was the last dose I felt well on. While reinstatement was the right thing to do, it was way too high, and I badly kindled myself. It took me 10 months to stabilize. 

To get to a 2mg dose, you would either make your own liquid (which is what I do) or cut and weigh your pills. There are topics here on this site on how to taper amitriptyline. I am on a cell phone at this time and cannot provide links here, but one of the other mods can. To do a proper 10% taper, you will eventually need to choose one option or the other. 

I want to really urge you again not to jump to a high dose. I know you felt good on 25mg, but you need to understand that you don't have the same nervous system you had then. It has now been sensitized by the fast taper/cold turkey. That's why you're having withdrawal symptoms

If you succeed in frying your CNS with a too-high dose, there won't be a lot we can do for you here. You would just have to wait out the symptoms until you stabilize, which could take quite a while. 

Please don't do anything rash until you hear from one of the other mods.

could i maybe try 5mg or a different drug? Like what i am saying is i dont really want to quit anymore, it helped me manage my pain and maybe i just need it again?

• Moderator Emeritus

Just now, nimdornn said:

could i maybe try 5mg or a different drug?

I suggest that you do not try a different drug.  Your brain has adapted to the Elavil.  If you start a new drug you might continue to have withdrawal from the first drug and/or side effects/adverse effects from the new drug.   You will not know what is causing any issues.

Just now, Dejavu said:

Do you think 2mg would be an appropriate reinstatement dose, or too high?

I'm assessing nimdornn's drug history.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Dejavu said:

Do you think 2mg would be an appropriate reinstatement dose, or too high?

If it was me, after being off for 2 months and stopping at 5mg, I would take 1mg Elavil to start.

It is better to start with a smaller amount and increase if needed than to risk taking too much.

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

If it was me, after being off for 2 months and stopping at 5mg, I would take 1mg Elavil to start.

It is better to start with a smaller amount and increase if needed than to risk taking too much.

What do you think reinstating would do for me? 

Like i want long term pain relief again.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, nimdornn said:

could i maybe try 5mg

We understand that you are desperate to feel better.  When we feel desperate we are willing to try anything to stop feeling awful.

But what we have found here with the members is that reinstating too high a dose can make things worse.  Some members have had to leave their job, had their relationship break down, become bedridden and/or had to move in with a relative of friend.

I'm not telling you this to frighten you but to help you to understand why we are suggestion such a low dose and urging you not to return to the 5mg dose of Elavil.

During the time you have been off your brain will already have made adaptations.  Unfortunately we don't know how much, but that is why it is better to start with a small dose.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, nimdornn said:

What do you think reinstating would do for me? 

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms but to bring them to a bearable level.  Once you have stabilised on a dose you could stay on that dose for a while and then do a slow taper off.