BJF9119

Supporting spouse going through SSRI withdrawal

BJF9119

Hello,

I have been looking for ways to support my spouse that has been suffering severely from ssri withdrawal for a few years now. It has been very challenging as our relationship dynamic has completely changed. I have become more of a caregiver and our relationship is not the same as it first was. There have been more challenging times than others over the course of the withdrawal period. We used to be able to socialize and go out on a regular basis but this has all changed where we really don't do that anymore.

Does anyone have any advice that may have or is going through this sort of thing? It's as if our lives have been ripped out from underneath our feet and it is a scary thing to see what the future holds. I have remained incredibly optimistic and hopeful that this will come to pass however it is now becoming rather taxing on my confidence and self esteem. I know self-help is very important and I am working on that to improve on my outlook. I have always looked forward to spending the rest of my life with my spouse and raising a happy family.

I appreciate everyone's feedback to offer!

ChessieCat

Hi and welcome to SA,

I'm assuming that your spouse has been off all psychiatric drugs for a few years.  If they have stopped a drug this year, then reinstatement of a small dose might be an option.

We have other members here who are experiencing the same thing.  I suggest you look through the topics in Relationships Forum to find topics that they have created.

It would be really good for your spouse to join SA, even if they are off drugs completely, so that they can be supported and encouraged by the SA community who understand what they are going through.

Something to keep in mind is that generally males tend to want to fix things, whereas females tend to need to talk about things.

Recovery isn't linear.  It happens in a windows and waves pattern:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You might find these topics helpful:

helping-family-understand

withdrawal-dialogues-encouragement

Also these topics:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling

What is Happening in Your Brain

We strongly encourage members who are tapering and going through withdrawal to learn and use non drug coping techniques:

Non-drug techniques to cope

We also encourage members to see a supportive counsellor to learn general life coping skills and for any issues for which they started the drugs in the first place.

This Facebook group is not affiliated with SA:

On 6/9/2018 at 6:46 AM, alchemist said:

If anyone here is interested: if your relationship or marriage has been affected by antidepressants feel free to join our private group on Facebook. We are a group of over 800 members going through the same situation. You can join us here: https://facebook.com/groups/mdbad

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.