SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sachi: want to get pregnant but still on Lexapro :(

Sachi

Hello all, I am fairly new this forum. 

Im a 35 yo female living in Singapore, currently Im facing challenges on tapering off Lexapro. 

back story

I was prescribed a mixture of medicines in October 2017 for GAD. Back then I have never think of anything wrong with it as I trusted my psychiatrist (BIG horrible mistake). 

My mixture is listed below :

amytriphiline 7 mg

frixitas (alprazolam) 0.25 mg 

lexapro (cipralex) 10 mg 

I took it as prescribe without even knowing the dangers of coming off these devils. 

in April 2020, I was ready to be off this medicine because Im planning to get pregnant, I told my psychiatrist and She said I can just stop it CT.

The next day I was feeling angry and easily agitated, and I feel so weak. I didnt even know that these all are withdrawal symptoms.. 

In early June 2020, I started to get really depressed and suicidal, and my anxiety skyrocketed. I cannot sleep anymore, I lost my appetite and I kept losing weight. I feel like dying, It was extremely horrible and I wouldnt even want to wish it on my worst enemy. 
I called 5 psychiatrists (the wellknown ones) and describef my symptoms, ALL of them said I was in relapse. They confidently told me it was not withdrawals. I trusted them and went back to my original psychiatrist and reinstate the whole thing. But only for 10 days I weaned off the amytripiline and alprazolam. 

I waited and listen to my body, I was unwell and I have this weird headache that is constantly bothering me. It was tightening my scalp. 

August 19, 2020 - I have commited myself to wean off the Lexapro. I was on 10 mg and my psychiatrist told me to taper off as below :

1 month : 10 mg to 7.5 mg

1 month : 7.5 mg to 5 mg 

1 month : 5 mg to 2.5 mg 

2.5 mg to 0 

I googled and got alot of informations thus I found this site. 

so August 19, I cut 25% to 7,5 mg. 
So far I have experienced :

-constant headache

-sensitive to light 

-irritability

-vertigo (this is the worst so far) 

-nausea

-dizzyness 

Some days are okay but these 2 days when the vertigo hit I am practically bedbound. 

I read the 10% very slow taper method. But I am sad because it will take sooooo long to get rid of this poison as my time is ticking and I really want to have a baby. I am sad right now and I regretted the day I went to the psychiatrist and took their advice.. how could they do this to us.. My life is deteriorating now as I am feeling very down and confused. I dont want to struggle with these for many years as I grow older the chances of having a baby will be lessened.. please help me....

October, 2017  10mg Lexapro, 7mg Amitriptyline, .25mg Alprazolam

April, 2020 cold turkeyed all 3 drugs on advice of psychiatrist

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (CT, withdrawal for 2 months but now already cleared)

August 19, 2020 reduced Lexapro by 25% to 7.5mg
Sept 16,2020 reduced Lexapro by 6.7% to 7 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sachi: want to get pregnant but still on Lexapro :(
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Sachi.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

From your post, I understand your drug history to be as follows:

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (QUESTION: was this a cold turkey or taper; if a   taper, how fast?)

If this is correct, please go to the link above and copy the information there and answer my question.  Then press "save."

I sympathize with the situation you're in, being on Lexapro, wanting to get pregnant, and seeing your window of opportunity narrow. I can't resolve that conflict.  All I can tell you is how to taper the Lexapro safely.  Psychiatrists know nothing about safe tapering and don't believe in withdrawal (misdiagnosing it, as yours did, as relapse).  You've experienced the consequences of tapering too fast.  The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms, and the tapering schedule from your psychiatrist is a blueprint for more of the same.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Lexapro is the most powerful SSRI on the market, and the first 10mg are the most potent.  The Since you've been at 7.5mg for only 10 days, I recommend you reinstate your original 10mg dose.  Reinstatement is the only known way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  Once you've stabilized on 10mg, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.  You might get relief within a couple of days of reinstatement or it may take a bit longer.   It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a little longer for it to register in the brain.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.  But you will heal from withdrawal and you will be able to get off the Lexapro, not as quickly as you would like, I know, but it will happen.  I'm almost done with my taper off 20mg  Lexapro and am doing fine.  So will you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, complete your drug signature and connect with other members.  We're glad you found you way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me I am feeling suicidal

I have been struggling coming off of Lexapro (Cipralex)..I have been on 10 mg lexapro since Oct 2017 and start tapering off :

19 August : down to 7.5 mg, hold for a month (as doctor advised). 

Symptoms : 

Headache pressure type / eye pressure 

Tinnitus

Twitching body parts 

Vertigo 3 days 

Insomnia

Body twitch / tremors / feeling very cold

Anhedonia

Lose appetite 

Sleep too much 

Dizzyness / lightheaded

Sensitive to light 

Sense of hopelessness 

Sadness / crybouts 

Hypnic Jerk 

I had the withdrawal symptoms for 12 days. And then one day I woke up feeling like my old self again and I was so happy. All the symptoms were gone. Until suddenly on 6 September, I woke up with tightness on my head again, and my anxiety is crippling back. I also started to develop chest pain..I do not know what to do anymore..I tried seeking help to several psychiatrists but they do not acknowledge the withdrawals I am having and I left home with even more meds such as beta blockers and melantonin. 

I have been crying alot and feeling helpless, I am 35 and wanting to have a child but these setbacks are honestly killing me.. I live in Singapore only with my husband and this stress is taking a toll on him also. I honestly feel death is the only sweet escape.. I hate and felt disgusted that everyday I need to swallow this devil pill.. I really do not want to updose again.. I want to get rid of this medication.. please someone help me I feel so hopeless..... It saddens me the most that tapering this meds will take even longer which means I cannot get pregnant for a minimum of 1.5 years? 

I feel so alone and helpless.. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (CT, withdrawal for 2 months but now already cleared)

• Administrator

Hello, Sachi. If I were you, I'd go back to 10mg escitalopram right away.

You cannot taper the way the doctor told you to taper. You will need to taper more gradually. You probably will need to ask for the prescription liquid or make your own. See Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

@Altostrata Hi, sorry I was just read your message, thank you so much for your kind reply. I am able to stabilize and now tapering down to 7 MG. 

so here is my updated recap

19 August - 16 Sept 

dropped from 10 mg - 7.5 mg (25%) 

severe reactions for 12 days, another reactions on 6 Sept for 1-2 days. After that I am able to stabilize. 

16 Sept 

dropped to 7 mg (6.7%) -> I decided to taper less than 10% to see how much the symptoms easen.. 

after dropping to 7 mg, i began to feel head tension 4-5 hours after the new dose. It wasnt bad, not as horrible as the previous 25% huge drop. 

I can say the symptoms lessen to be much much better. But on day 6 I realize is the biggest wave, this time is severe cry and depressions, and I was feeling highly suicidal. Thank GOD it resolves on the next day! Now as Im writing, I just feel lightheaded and dizzy. But emotionally I am okay. 

I think I will use the veeeery slow tapering method. Thank you so much! 

@Gridley hi Gridley, mind if I ask? As you taper down, is it getting harder as the dosage lower? I am afraid to face another withdrawal symptoms.. it is quite traumatic and almost took a toll on my mind,body,and also my husband. 

I live in Singapore and they dont have liquid Lexapro, I cannot ship liquid Lexapro here also. So I will have to do dry taper. I did bought the Gemini scale. 

i also been going to psychologists and doing EMDR & CBT to cope with the depression, it is so horrible.. I NEVER experience anxiety and depression as major as this.. Lexapro is trully the demon. 

im sorry my English is not good as it is not my first language.. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/27/2020 at 8:46 AM, Sachi said:

, is it getting harder as the dosage lower?

Your English is fine.

It really hasn't gotten harder as I get lower and lower.  If symptoms come, I just hold longer.  

The taper method I use is the Brassmonkey slide, which is 4 weekly cuts of 2 1/2% with a two week hold.  It's gentler than the 10% monthly method.  If 2 1/2% is too much you could decrease by four weekly 1 1/2% cuts.  Here's a link explaining it:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks @Gridley

Its nice to hear the symptoms doesnt get any worse. Yes I think I want to try following the Brassmonkey method since the regular method is too harsh on me. i want to function normally on daily basis. I hope this softer taper will be gentler. 

I will update more, thanks! Have a nice day! 

Is it safe to use Benzos for urgent matters while tapering?

Hello fellow members and mods, 

I am currently tapering 7 mg Lexapro, I have been benzo free for almost 4 months. 

My question is, 

I have aerophobia and I usually use xanax for flights. Is it safe to use xanax only when I am flying? 

Will it create effects with my Lexapro tapering? 

thanks, xoxo

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/29/2020 at 3:42 AM, Gridley said:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

From your post, I understand your drug history to be as follows:

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (QUESTION: was this a cold turkey or taper; if a   taper, how fast?)

If this is correct, please go to the link above and copy the information there and answer my question.  Then press "save."

Please create your drug history as previously requested.

I will ask the other mods for their assistance regarding the Xanax use.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat Hi 

ive edited my signature. Thank you for your help! 

Ok today I am dropping down 

7 mg —> 6.7 mg 

took the new dose on 15 pm, an hour later the head tension and slight lightheadedness started. 

I was wondering, I taper on pretty low cut (4.4%) 

Why do I still have symptoms.. I was hoping the lower taper percentage I drop, the easier the symptoms (like level 0-2).

Or is it even harder to taper when you have reached lower doses? 

thanks for reading 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Sachi said:

My question is, 

I have aerophobia and I usually use xanax for flights. Is it safe to use xanax only when I am flying? 

Will it create effects with my Lexapro tapering? 

There's a "moderate" drug interaction between Lexapro and Xanax, so if possible, you should take these drugs at least two hours apart. 

Drug Interaction Report - Lexapro and Xanax

Using a benzo for flying, a medical procedure, or for a crisis state is usually okay as long as you're only taking it that one time. 

Did you take a rescue dose of Xanax during your taper? If so, what was your experience? 

@Shep

Hi! Thank you for your reply, During my taper I have never taken any Xanax. Last time I took xanax for flying is on Jan 2020. 

I have never taken any kind of benzo since I quit cold turkey 4 months ago. 

i was previously on alprazolam 0.25 once a day. 

Thank you @Shepi will keep updated! 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Sachi said:

Ok today I am dropping down 

7 mg —> 6.7 mg 

took the new dose on 15 pm, an hour later the head tension and slight lightheadedness started. 

Generally it is better to only make one change at a time.  the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

A quick headsup on my update : 

Cipralex Start 10 mg 

19 agt : 7.5 mg (25%) 

Symptoms : 

Headache pressure type / eye pressure 

Tinnitus

Twitching body parts 

Vertigo 3 days 

Insomnia

Body twitch / tremors / feeling very cold

Anhedonia

Lose appetite 

Sleep too much 

Dizzyness / lightheaded

Sensitive to light 

Sense of hopelessness 

Sadness / crybouts 

Hypnic Jerk 

16 sept : 7 mg (6.7%) 

Depression & Anxiety for 2 days

Pressure headache for 4 days 

Insomnia on 24 sept

Dizzy & lightheaded

9 Okt : 6.7 mg (4.28%) 

Pressure headache 2 days level 1

Anxiety 2 days level 1-2

Moodswing sadness fear 

31 Okt : 6.5 mg (2.98%)

Sleepy, uncomfortable head level 1

Cry sad fear (this is very annoying) 

Anxiety level 1 (subsided in 2 days) 

Edited by ChessieCat
decreased font size

Hello @Sachi,

Your updates about your symptoms are very accurate, I am sure it will be helpful for a lot of people:)

Even though you think now that it will take you a long time to taper, it will better for you in the long term. Trust me, I stop CT and never reinstated (it was too late for me when I found this website). 

Hope to read more of how are you doing, if you feel like writing. 

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

@almuPAThank you for checking on me..

I am now honestly very tired.. Im now in deep depression and my mental is extremely exhausted with all the anxiety,moodswings,health scare,being isolated,nobody cares for me, even my husband doesnt seem to understand the struggle I endure everyday. 

I feel like giving up really.. I have put up the best fight, I went psychologist,weekly counseling,church,pray,exercise,healthy eating,CBT,EMDR.. 

The most painful part is, I feel completely alone..... with no one who trully understands what Ive been going through 

@Sachi I am starting my taper of Lexapro in a couple weeks. I am currently switching over to liquid Lexapro, then will start tapering after. I have printed a schedule for my tapering. I am no expert by ANY means...but it seems like you're still tapering pretty fast. I will see if I can send you the print schedule I am following. I am afraid I can't find this thread again, so I am going to submit and see if I can find it.

Hang in there. I can understand about feeling alone, but everyone on this site is here for the Same reason (wouldn't lower that s for some reason) ;)

I feel like no one around me understands my taper of "4" years...but yet here I am about to start. 

2005-2020 diff AD for trouble sleeping, switched multiple times. 

2020 Dec Escitalopram 10 mg

2021 Jan 10 mg -start BMS taper w/2 wk hold

2022 March 3.63 mg

2022 July 2.65 mg

2022 November 1.96 mg

2023 February 1.48 mg

2023 August .90 mg

.25mg Melatonin (as needed)

Okay....found it and was able to get back here. :)
Here is the link. It looks different than a normal link, so I'm hoping when I submit it lets you click on it. :)

2005-2020 diff AD for trouble sleeping, switched multiple times. 

2020 Dec Escitalopram 10 mg

2021 Jan 10 mg -start BMS taper w/2 wk hold

2022 March 3.63 mg

2022 July 2.65 mg

2022 November 1.96 mg

2023 February 1.48 mg

2023 August .90 mg

.25mg Melatonin (as needed)

@Sachi,

I am sorry to read that none understands you, it has to be very hard to go throgh this alone. I hope you know you have us here.

I totally understand you, it is hell. I am none to suggest anything, but I find that reading succesfull stories of other people help me to be more positive. Also watching funny things on the internet helps me to distract myself from the symptons. 

Send you lots of love and strengh:)

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

Hello @Sachi. I'm reading your thread sadly. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I was taught by my psychologist, I don’t even know how to say it. He is really alone who is not well with himself. Maybe I didn't express myself best. I live alone neither girlfriend nor dog nothing. I know this is not comforting. Ever since I started consciously dealing with myself, I feel much better. Unfortunately, self-branding and self-pity only make things worse. Unfortunately, this is just like any other difficulty in life. We have to solve ourselves to get through. Unfortunately, no one can solve for us 🙁. As soon as I don’t focus on myself, let’s say no one cares about me, my mood immediately falls. Currently, I have dropped half of my medication (cipralex) and am quite fine. When I started the reduction, I was prone to self-pity for up to seven months. Focus on what you can do and not what you can’t. I wish endurance. hello from Hungary

2023.01.27 1,6 mg 2023.01.29 1,5 mg 2023.02.27 1,35 mg 2023.03.30 1,2 mg 2023.04.18 1,1 mg 04,26 1,05 mg 2023.01.26 1,05 mg 2023.02.27 .27 .20. .21 0,8 mg 2023.07.14 0,65 mg 2023.08.20 0,45 mg 2023.09.20 0,25 mg 2023.11.14 000000000!!!!!

Hi sachi,

I'm sorry for your struggle. I'm reading your topic and I know how desperate you just be.

I really think you should taper slower than your current method. I went from 18 mg citalopram to 10 mg and that took me 17 months so far.... This should be equal to taper lexapro from 9 to 5 mg.

You have been doing these amounts in approximately 3 months so I really really think you should stop tapering now and hold for a couple of months. You made some major jumps in dosage in a short period of time.   

I also think that you should taper more gradually. Not 5% and then a couple of weeks later 2% etc...

My wife had 2 perfectly healthy babies while on sertraline and venlafaxine. It is not impossible to have a perfectly healthy baby while on ssri. This should be discussed with a professional of course but I know it is possible! I've  got 2 perfectly healthy boys walking around here ,😉

I hope you will figure things out and be careful with your taper. Remember that it may take a week before your brain knows you lowered your dose..

Cheers and good luck

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /

@jozeff Hi Jozeff, thank you for replying..

I think I am abit ambitious into tapering since We are trying to have a baby.. so I want to be in the lowest dosage as possible if I get pregnant..

but I completely agree with you, the taper is too fast and I will stabilize myself for awhile in 6.5 mg (probably around 2-3 months). 

My body has been throught alot in these past few months so now I will rest for awhile.. 

Im so happy to hear about your wife, makes me hopeful.. thank you so much for sharing. 

I will update any news.. 

How do people survive this Lexapro? 

I have read numerous success stories, but right now it doesnt seem real to me...

im sorry, im just super exhausted with this deep blue depression, this is 5 times worse than my original depression before this stupid drug....

Im hanging to 6.5 mg for now.. My body has gone throught alot this year so I will take my rest.... 

I just wish I have more support....

• 3 weeks later...

Update 5/12/20 

I have decided to hold on for now in 6.5 mg.

i have stabilized now after 1 month. Enough tapering for me this year.

Major healthscare / anxiety I had from tapering 10 - 6.5 mg in 3 months

- My period is out of whack, I had spotting for 2 WEEKS! This is never happened before! Had 3x ultrasound all is fine! High stress & depression causes it.

- Breast pain (mastalgia) had it checked 2 times, all hormonal imbalance related.

Hi,

Very good decision to hold for now!

Let your body rest for a while.

You're tapering has been pretty fast, remember that lexapro is strong stuff and from 10 to 6.5 in three months is 14 % per month which is very fast.

Good luck and take care!

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /

Hello Sachi,

I am happy to see that you decided to hold your tapering. It is better to do it slowly. I did CT and trust me, it does not make it any easier. 

On 11/13/2020 at 6:51 PM, jozeff said:

My wife had 2 perfectly healthy babies while on sertraline and venlafaxine

That's a great point. In here you can read stories of people having babies while on antidepressants. 

On 11/17/2020 at 1:17 PM, Sachi said:

How do people survive this Lexapro? 

That's a great great question that I've asked myself so many times this year.

I am sending you lots of love and strength. 

• 3 months later...

It has been 5 months since my last tapering and I am holding on in 6.5 mg. I continued to have withdrawals and started feeling better in end of January 2021. Now things has gotten better and 100% back to my normal old self.

so I decided to start taper off really slowly again,

my last dosage = 6.5 mg

30 March 2021 >> drop to 6.3 mg 

It has been 3 days in my new dosage and so far I dont feel any withdrawals at all! Yay! 

I am keeping this taper extremely slow with extra caution now, It is like I am trying to trick my brain and sneaking off lower and lower dosages as little and slow as possible so my brain wont realize it.

I will update again for any news! Thank you! 

That is great news!