Sachi

Sachi: want to get pregnant but still on Lexapro :(

Sachi

Hello all, I am fairly new this forum. 

Im a 35 yo female living in Singapore, currently Im facing challenges on tapering off Lexapro. 

back story

I was prescribed a mixture of medicines in October 2017 for GAD. Back then I have never think of anything wrong with it as I trusted my psychiatrist (BIG horrible mistake). 

My mixture is listed below :

amytriphiline 7 mg

frixitas (alprazolam) 0.25 mg 

lexapro (cipralex) 10 mg 

I took it as prescribe without even knowing the dangers of coming off these devils. 

in April 2020, I was ready to be off this medicine because Im planning to get pregnant, I told my psychiatrist and She said I can just stop it CT.

The next day I was feeling angry and easily agitated, and I feel so weak. I didnt even know that these all are withdrawal symptoms.. 

In early June 2020, I started to get really depressed and suicidal, and my anxiety skyrocketed. I cannot sleep anymore, I lost my appetite and I kept losing weight. I feel like dying, It was extremely horrible and I wouldnt even want to wish it on my worst enemy. 
I called 5 psychiatrists (the wellknown ones) and describef my symptoms, ALL of them said I was in relapse. They confidently told me it was not withdrawals. I trusted them and went back to my original psychiatrist and reinstate the whole thing. But only for 10 days I weaned off the amytripiline and alprazolam. 

I waited and listen to my body, I was unwell and I have this weird headache that is constantly bothering me. It was tightening my scalp. 

August 19, 2020 - I have commited myself to wean off the Lexapro. I was on 10 mg and my psychiatrist told me to taper off as below :

1 month : 10 mg to 7.5 mg

1 month : 7.5 mg to 5 mg 

1 month : 5 mg to 2.5 mg 

2.5 mg to 0 

I googled and got alot of informations thus I found this site. 

so August 19, I cut 25% to 7,5 mg. 
So far I have experienced :

-constant headache

-sensitive to light 

-irritability

-vertigo (this is the worst so far) 

-nausea

-dizzyness 

Some days are okay but these 2 days when the vertigo hit I am practically bedbound. 

I read the 10% very slow taper method. But I am sad because it will take sooooo long to get rid of this poison as my time is ticking and I really want to have a baby. I am sad right now and I regretted the day I went to the psychiatrist and took their advice.. how could they do this to us.. My life is deteriorating now as I am feeling very down and confused. I dont want to struggle with these for many years as I grow older the chances of having a baby will be lessened.. please help me....

October, 2017  10mg Lexapro, 7mg Amitriptyline, .25mg Alprazolam

April, 2020 cold turkeyed all 3 drugs on advice of psychiatrist

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (CT, withdrawal for 2 months but now already cleared)

August 19, 2020 reduced Lexapro by 25% to 7.5mg
Sept 16,2020 reduced Lexapro by 6.7% to 7 mg

Gridley
Posted (edited)

Welcome to SA, Sachi.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

From your post, I understand your drug history to be as follows:

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (QUESTION: was this a cold turkey or taper; if a   taper, how fast?)

If this is correct, please go to the link above and copy the information there and answer my question.  Then press "save."

I sympathize with the situation you're in, being on Lexapro, wanting to get pregnant, and seeing your window of opportunity narrow. I can't resolve that conflict.  All I can tell you is how to taper the Lexapro safely.  Psychiatrists know nothing about safe tapering and don't believe in withdrawal (misdiagnosing it, as yours did, as relapse).  You've experienced the consequences of tapering too fast.  The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms, and the tapering schedule from your psychiatrist is a blueprint for more of the same.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Lexapro is the most powerful SSRI on the market, and the first 10mg are the most potent.  The Since you've been at 7.5mg for only 10 days, I recommend you reinstate your original 10mg dose.  Reinstatement is the only known way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  The only alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  Once you've stabilized on 10mg, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.  You might get relief within a couple of days of reinstatement or it may take a bit longer.   It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a little longer for it to register in the brain.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.  But you will heal from withdrawal and you will be able to get off the Lexapro, not as quickly as you would like, I know, but it will happen.  I'm almost done with my taper off 20mg  Lexapro and am doing fine.  So will you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, complete your drug signature and connect with other members.  We're glad you found you way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Lorazepam 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, resumed a few months later. CT 2000.  1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept, 2016 increased to 0.5 X 3 in split dose. Sept. 2019 increased to 0.625 X 3 after crossover to new brand

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 15mg.  Aug 2016, discovered SA, updosed to 25mg and holding.  Taper is 66% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Sachi

Please help me I am feeling suicidal

I have been struggling coming off of Lexapro (Cipralex)..I have been on 10 mg lexapro since Oct 2017 and start tapering off :

19 August : down to 7.5 mg, hold for a month (as doctor advised). 

Symptoms : 

Headache pressure type / eye pressure 

Tinnitus

Twitching body parts 

Vertigo 3 days 

Insomnia

Body twitch / tremors / feeling very cold

Anhedonia

Lose appetite 

Sleep too much 

Dizzyness / lightheaded

Sensitive to light 

Sense of hopelessness 

Sadness / crybouts 

Hypnic Jerk 

I had the withdrawal symptoms for 12 days. And then one day I woke up feeling like my old self again and I was so happy. All the symptoms were gone. Until suddenly on 6 September, I woke up with tightness on my head again, and my anxiety is crippling back. I also started to develop chest pain..I do not know what to do anymore..I tried seeking help to several psychiatrists but they do not acknowledge the withdrawals I am having and I left home with even more meds such as beta blockers and melantonin. 

I have been crying alot and feeling helpless, I am 35 and wanting to have a child but these setbacks are honestly killing me.. I live in Singapore only with my husband and this stress is taking a toll on him also. I honestly feel death is the only sweet escape.. I hate and felt disgusted that everyday I need to swallow this devil pill.. I really do not want to updose again.. I want to get rid of this medication.. please someone help me I feel so hopeless..... It saddens me the most that tapering this meds will take even longer which means I cannot get pregnant for a minimum of 1.5 years? 

I feel so alone and helpless.. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (CT, withdrawal for 2 months but now already cleared)

Altostrata

Hello, Sachi. If I were you, I'd go back to 10mg escitalopram right away.

You cannot taper the way the doctor told you to taper. You will need to taper more gradually. You probably will need to ask for the prescription liquid or make your own. See Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sachi

@Altostrata Hi, sorry I was just read your message, thank you so much for your kind reply. I am able to stabilize and now tapering down to 7 MG. 

so here is my updated recap

19 August - 16 Sept 

dropped from 10 mg - 7.5 mg (25%) 

severe reactions for 12 days, another reactions on 6 Sept for 1-2 days. After that I am able to stabilize. 

16 Sept 

dropped to 7 mg (6.7%) -> I decided to taper less than 10% to see how much the symptoms easen.. 

after dropping to 7 mg, i began to feel head tension 4-5 hours after the new dose. It wasnt bad, not as horrible as the previous 25% huge drop. 

I can say the symptoms lessen to be much much better. But on day 6 I realize is the biggest wave, this time is severe cry and depressions, and I was feeling highly suicidal. Thank GOD it resolves on the next day! Now as Im writing, I just feel lightheaded and dizzy. But emotionally I am okay. 

I think I will use the veeeery slow tapering method. Thank you so much! 

Sachi

@Gridley hi Gridley, mind if I ask? As you taper down, is it getting harder as the dosage lower? I am afraid to face another withdrawal symptoms.. it is quite traumatic and almost took a toll on my mind,body,and also my husband. 

I live in Singapore and they dont have liquid Lexapro, I cannot ship liquid Lexapro here also. So I will have to do dry taper. I did bought the Gemini scale. 

i also been going to psychologists and doing EMDR & CBT to cope with the depression, it is so horrible.. I NEVER experience anxiety and depression as major as this.. Lexapro is trully the demon. 

im sorry my English is not good as it is not my first language.. 

Gridley
On 9/27/2020 at 8:46 AM, Sachi said:

, is it getting harder as the dosage lower?

Your English is fine.

It really hasn't gotten harder as I get lower and lower.  If symptoms come, I just hold longer.  

The taper method I use is the Brassmonkey slide, which is 4 weekly cuts of 2 1/2% with a two week hold.  It's gentler than the 10% monthly method.  If 2 1/2% is too much you could decrease by four weekly 1 1/2% cuts.  Here's a link explaining it:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Lorazepam 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, resumed a few months later. CT 2000.  1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept, 2016 increased to 0.5 X 3 in split dose. Sept. 2019 increased to 0.625 X 3 after crossover to new brand

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 15mg.  Aug 2016, discovered SA, updosed to 25mg and holding.  Taper is 66% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Sachi

Thanks @Gridley

Its nice to hear the symptoms doesnt get any worse. Yes I think I want to try following the Brassmonkey method since the regular method is too harsh on me. i want to function normally on daily basis. I hope this softer taper will be gentler. 

I will update more, thanks! Have a nice day! 

Sachi
Posted (edited)

Is it safe to use Benzos for urgent matters while tapering?

Hello fellow members and mods, 

I am currently tapering 7 mg Lexapro, I have been benzo free for almost 4 months. 

My question is, 

I have aerophobia and I usually use xanax for flights. Is it safe to use xanax only when I am flying? 

Will it create effects with my Lexapro tapering? 

thanks, xoxo

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

ChessieCat
On 8/29/2020 at 3:42 AM, Gridley said:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

From your post, I understand your drug history to be as follows:

Early June, 2020 reinstated all 3 drugs for 10 days, then weaned off the Amitryptyline and Alproazolam (QUESTION: was this a cold turkey or taper; if a   taper, how fast?)

If this is correct, please go to the link above and copy the information there and answer my question.  Then press "save."

Please create your drug history as previously requested.

I will ask the other mods for their assistance regarding the Xanax use.

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Sachi

@ChessieCat Hi 

ive edited my signature. Thank you for your help! 

Sachi

Ok today I am dropping down 

7 mg —> 6.7 mg 

took the new dose on 15 pm, an hour later the head tension and slight lightheadedness started. 

I was wondering, I taper on pretty low cut (4.4%) 

Why do I still have symptoms.. I was hoping the lower taper percentage I drop, the easier the symptoms (like level 0-2).

Or is it even harder to taper when you have reached lower doses? 

thanks for reading 

Shep
10 hours ago, Sachi said:

My question is, 

I have aerophobia and I usually use xanax for flights. Is it safe to use xanax only when I am flying? 

Will it create effects with my Lexapro tapering? 

There's a "moderate" drug interaction between Lexapro and Xanax, so if possible, you should take these drugs at least two hours apart. 

Drug Interaction Report - Lexapro and Xanax

Using a benzo for flying, a medical procedure, or for a crisis state is usually okay as long as you're only taking it that one time. 

Did you take a rescue dose of Xanax during your taper? If so, what was your experience? 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Sachi

@Shep

Hi! Thank you for your reply, During my taper I have never taken any Xanax. Last time I took xanax for flying is on Jan 2020. 

I have never taken any kind of benzo since I quit cold turkey 4 months ago. 

i was previously on alprazolam 0.25 once a day. 

Shep

You should be okay, but please make notes of any symptoms and let us know how you do. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Sachi

Thank you @Shepi will keep updated! 

ChessieCat
10 hours ago, Sachi said:

Ok today I am dropping down 

7 mg —> 6.7 mg 

took the new dose on 15 pm, an hour later the head tension and slight lightheadedness started. 

Generally it is better to only make one change at a time.  the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.