Spenitate: paroxetine withdrawal followed by sertraline

Spenitate

• Mentor

When you’re feeling like you’re at rock bottom it’s exhausting trying to help yourself, I get that. Sometimes you don’t want to talk to anyone. It took me a long time before I was well enough to engage with services to help. I still haven’t found a doctor I regularly talk with, it’s not worth the stress of explaining how I feel. Particularly because I seem to understand more than them, it’s too frustrating telling them what is happening in my body and why. 

Everyone is different but a few coping mechanisms I have include: distraction when able (avoiding my disastrous life and health circumstances), music (another escape mechanism if you can manage it), walking (this saved me, just dragging myself out every day without fail), meditation (I just did the deep breathing for 15-30 mins). As you progress through stabilisation you’ll collect more tools to add to your kit, you’ll find what works and what doesn’t. 

This link has helplines for you, save it as a bookmark if you’re on mobile:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisis-services/helplines-listening-services/

Most of your commonly asked questions that circulate your mind are probably answered here:

Edited by Erimus

Nothing I say or do is based on medical advice. I make my own choices based on intuition gained through individual research, and a lot of suffering. My intro
CURRENT MEDICATION:

1. Sertraline: 50mg October 2020; 100mg December 2020; 50mg April 2021; 75mg May 2021; 50mg 18 September 2021; big crash 6 December 2021; holding

Current dose: 50mg (Sep 2022)

2. Mirtazapine: 15mg November 2020;

Current dose: 15mg (Sep 2022)

PAST MEDICATION

1. Amitriptyline: 20mg Dec 2016 for epigastric pain; 10mg Dec 2017; 0mg Oct 2018 - no withdrawal symp.

SUPPLEMENTS: Magnesium Citrate;

LIFESTYLE: No alcohol, nicotine or caffeine

• Administrator

Suggest you get out for a walk and stretch your arms (and other limbs).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Suggest you get out for a walk and stretch your arms (and other limbs).

Oh don’t worry I’m walking constantly!

2002 approx: Prescribed 30mg of Citalopram which made me instantly extremely ill including suicidal ideation and auditory hallucinations, discontinued in a few weeks and symptoms subsided.

2004 - 2010: Prescribed short bouts of Paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat) with no noticeable side effects or withdrawal issues.

2010-2020: Prescribed 40mg Paroxetine for almost a decade, initially positive impact but over time noticed less effectiveness and increased side effects (constant sleeping/nightmares/night sweats, and weight gain).

2020: Tapered down from 40mg - 0mg in 2-3 weeks on doctor's advice. A few weeks later severe withdrawal symptoms began (suicidal ideation, rapid weight loss, hypothermia, etc.).
May 2020: Went back on 10mg of Paroxetine, tapering to 0mg over 2-3 months. Severe symptoms began again after dropping from 5mg to nothing on doctor's advice (so I could 'clear my system' to start Sertraline).
June 2020: Started on 50mg Sertraline to manage Paroxetine withdrawal on doctor's advice. New severe symptoms, worse than before (worst was suicidal ideation, but also extreme noise sensitivity, muscle cramps, stomach issues, etc.).

Early 2021: Increased Sertraline dosage from 50mg to 75mg in desperate hope it would relieve ongoing symptoms. It did not.

2021-2022: Began a gradual taper from 75mg down to 1.6mg of Sertraline, following advice given on this site (though on reflection still tapered too quickly). Severe recurrence of symptoms, now restabilising at 2mg and holding for now. 

This evening (three weeks after I stabilised at 2mg) I had my best and most sustained window since I crashed on 30 August due to my over-fast taper. I had several hours of feeling pretty good with no suicidal ideation or other distressing symptoms (some anxiety and tearfulness but that is manageable). I have had a small number of windows in the past few weeks but this is easily the best I have felt in that time. It followed a couple of days of extremely awful symptoms.

I’m documenting this because I think it’s important to track the good moments as well as the bad. I’m logging my mood multiple times a day to try and perceive overall improvement. I think I have seen very slight improvement overall in the past few weeks.

it is distressing to know that this period of well-being will probably fade and I won’t be able to predict when I will have the next one - the lack of linear progress or a clear timeline for recovery is easily the hardest part of this process. If someone could wave a wand and tell me ‘this will all be over in 6 months’ I think it would be easier to plough through, but I just have to hope that stabilising at 2mg gives me a chance at recovery. Unlike my last withdrawal from paroxetine, at least I’m not dealing with another drug in my system complicating and exacerbating the problems this time.

2002 approx: Prescribed 30mg of Citalopram which made me instantly extremely ill including suicidal ideation and auditory hallucinations, discontinued in a few weeks and symptoms subsided.

2004 - 2010: Prescribed short bouts of Paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat) with no noticeable side effects or withdrawal issues.

2010-2020: Prescribed 40mg Paroxetine for almost a decade, initially positive impact but over time noticed less effectiveness and increased side effects (constant sleeping/nightmares/night sweats, and weight gain).

2020: Tapered down from 40mg - 0mg in 2-3 weeks on doctor's advice. A few weeks later severe withdrawal symptoms began (suicidal ideation, rapid weight loss, hypothermia, etc.).
May 2020: Went back on 10mg of Paroxetine, tapering to 0mg over 2-3 months. Severe symptoms began again after dropping from 5mg to nothing on doctor's advice (so I could 'clear my system' to start Sertraline).
June 2020: Started on 50mg Sertraline to manage Paroxetine withdrawal on doctor's advice. New severe symptoms, worse than before (worst was suicidal ideation, but also extreme noise sensitivity, muscle cramps, stomach issues, etc.).

Early 2021: Increased Sertraline dosage from 50mg to 75mg in desperate hope it would relieve ongoing symptoms. It did not.

2021-2022: Began a gradual taper from 75mg down to 1.6mg of Sertraline, following advice given on this site (though on reflection still tapered too quickly). Severe recurrence of symptoms, now restabilising at 2mg and holding for now. 

As predicted following the sustained window I experienced a few days ago I have crashed hard into an extended wave. My parents are travelling to come and look after me in the next few days. My condition has taken a profound toll on them and I am so ashamed that my suffering is hurting the people I love now as well. I am back at work part time but struggling to perform which is very hard for me because work is one of the few areas of my life I normally feel some control over.

The awareness of everything I have lost and am still losing to this illness is overwhelmingly painful. 

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Thank you Alto I appreciate you sharing these. I had read some but not all of them. It is comforting to know others have experienced the same issues evening though it’s so awful going through them!

I am endeavouring too implement techniques like changing the channel, breathing, meditation etc but sometimes it is very, very hard. 

• Administrator

Yes, you've suffered a medical accident, you'll need to cope with it for a while. Please hang in there.