SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lemanna: advise on severe anxiety from benzo and antidepressant withdrawal

Lemanna

4 minutes ago, Lemanna said:

Yes I do feel like I am going crazy it's definitely got to be the meds. Psychotherapist said there are other meds but as they've caused this don't want go down that route. Reassurin to know that they did eventually ease for you. Be 3 months next week so hoping might get bit of relief. Did the diazapam help at all. They wouldn't give me any.

Yes Diazepams defenitly helped. Mental symptoms at beginning were unbearable. I have to take diazepams occasionally. But after 3 months I did’t took them anymore. Maybe 1 or 2, but not anymore. 

Mid july 2019 started Escitalopram 

First week 2,5mg, second week 5mg, then 10mg for few days, then back to 5mg

Mid september 2019 quit cold turkey Escitalopram

1. february 2020 started Ketipinor for sleep issues and anxiety

mid march 2020 stopped Ketipinor

Taking some Diazepams (Diapam 5mg) for panic attacks and withdrawal. Not taken for months.

Esomeprazol 40mg/day for gastroesophageal reflux disease

Tapering that out 25% / week (done)

You are so lucky they gave you some. My practice very unsympathetic their answer is try another. anti depressant got told to take more exercise. Like that's going work when can barely  leave house. Some days had really dark thoughts that can't go on.

Jan 2019 -Made to CT zopiclone in Jan 19  after 12 years by GP, caused intrusive thoughts

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 Tried Citalopram Oct 19 Made hair fall out

Dec 2019 - Jan 2020  Switched to Sertraline Dec19 had severe adverse reaction caused OCD with compulsions

Feb 2020 - June 2020 -Went back to Citalopram Feb 20 awful mental symptoms still

Weaned off April 20 completed stopped in June 20

Been in hell ever since.

@Lemanna

I had diazepam prescription before I start Escitalopram. But I didn’t eat them before. They were prescripted for my condition(anxiety or stress, idk what it was...) before I start ssri, fortunatly. 
Remember that they are just thoughts. If you are really afraid of them, you are not going nuts. I remember that phase. I could’t go anywhere, because I afraid those thoughts so badly. Like I do something like that. They gave me a lot of panic attacks. They are horrible, but only thoughts, they don’t hurt anyone. But it’s hard, so damn hard

Taking some Diazepams (Diapam 5mg) for panic attacks and withdrawal. Not taken for months.

Good to hear from someone else who struggled. Just get angry as never had any anxiety or thoughts before being made to ct zopiclone. Just took it for sleep. Did you find it hard to leave house as well for while. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Jan 2019 -Made to CT zopiclone in Jan 19  after 12 years by GP, caused intrusive thoughts

Dec 2019 - Jan 2020  Switched to Sertraline Dec19 had severe adverse reaction caused OCD with compulsions

Feb 2020 - June 2020 -Went back to Citalopram Feb 20 awful mental symptoms still

Been in hell ever since.

16 minutes ago, Lemanna said:

Good to hear from someone else who struggled. Just get angry as never had any anxiety or thoughts before being made to ct zopiclone. Just took it for sleep. Did you find it hard to leave house as well for while. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Everything was hard. Basically surviving all the time and keeping myself and others alive. 

Sleep now really bad

Came off citalopram about 3 months ago. Although I had severe adverse reaction while on them sleep wasn't too bad. Since stopping has been so so, but the last 3 or so weeks been awful. Some night barely sleep, when I do sleep am awake from about 4am unable to go back to sleep. Have had severe mental symptoms from taking these drugs and lack of sleep just making it worse. Does this improve with time? Was taking them to help with zopiclone withdrawal but my sleep wasn't this bad when stopped the zopiclone  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Been in hell ever since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Altostrata, this site's owner has already provided you with SA's sleep topics:

On 9/7/2020 at 6:29 AM, Altostrata said:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

How long before things start improving?

Came off citalopram nearly 4 months ago had bad adverse reaction to it, caused severe OCD/Intrusive thoughts. Have been seeing psychotherapist doing bit of exposure therapy. Was managing to do it and noticed slight improvement, but today back to square one very jumpy and almost like panic attack when went out to do the exposure stuff. Don't know if this is window & wave just wondering how long before likely to see bit more consistent improvement. Was only on them 6 months, low dose, for zopiclone withdrawal, no pre existing OCD at all.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Been in hell ever since.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is not that long since you stopped citalopram after being on a psychiatric drug for many years.  Psychiatric drugs numb our emotions.  It is better to keep stress to a minimum to allow your nervous system to recover.  Additional stress can make withdrawal symptoms worse.  I suggest that you tell the therapist that you need to reduce the stress of the exposure therapy or that you stop the exposure therapy for the time being and return to it at a later time. 

If you are still menstruating, you might experience differences in how you feel during your cycle too.  If this is happening you might consider timing your exposure therapy so that it does not coincide with the worst part of your cycle.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

This is my opinion, but this is not true OCD. So exposure therapy does not work in this situation, it only make things worse. I read it somewhere in the internet, but I don’t remember where it was. Time and low stress is best cure for this situation. 

I am going to continue with the exposure therapy, have waited , giving it time for 20 months and things got steadily worse with suicidal thoughts since taking the anti depressants. I agree its not really true OCD as the drugs caused it, apparently SSRI"s can cause OCD symptoms, , but anything worth a try as couldn't go on as I did. I don't know much about anti depressant withdrawal so imagine I am still in citalopram withdrawal, so possibly could be windows & waves?

Been in hell ever since.

• 1 year later...

Haven't been on here for a while. I was made to cold turkey zopiclone 32 months ago, as result suffered from intrusive thoughts and anxiety, I tried Sertraline and Citalopram about 8 months afterwards to try ease symptoms, had adverse reaction to them , made my hair fallout, and the symptoms got a lot worse. Struggled on for 6 months as was told they take while to have effect, eventually couldn't put up with side effects anymore, and weaned off them. Probably too quickly over about 6 weeks, was on very low dose, withdrawal was pretty hard.. When I swapped from citalopram to sertraline, on GP's instructions, stopped 1 for a week then started another. The symptoms still pretty bad ,been off them about 16 months. Just wondered how long AD withdrawal can last, whether I'm now in prolonged AD withdrawal, as did seem harder coming off them than zopiclone. Also as I had bad reaction to SSRI's is it likely to be same if I try any other AD, as desperate for something to ease symptoms a bit.

Been in hell ever since.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lemanna:Advise on how long AD withdrawal lasts

Want to change title to Advise on  severe Benzo and anti depressant withdrawal but can"t see how. Also wanted to add something in the text?

Been in hell ever since.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, Lemanna said:

Just wondered how long AD withdrawal can last, whether I'm now in prolonged AD withdrawal, as did seem harder coming off them than zopiclone. Also as I had bad reaction to SSRI's is it likely to be same if I try any other AD, as desperate for something to ease symptoms a bit.

Lemanna, please note I merged your two introduction threads. Please continue posting here so all of your information is in one place. 

Withdrawal can last a long time. This post may be helpful in explaining:

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

Are you currently taking any supplements?  We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

You may want to start with a bit of magnesium and see how you do. And then add in a bit of fish oil or if you don't want to add another supplement, simply eating fish several times a week may be helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice, thinking trying amitriptyline for severe anxiety, induced by being made to go CT off zopiclone. I tried citalopram and sertraline, and had a severe adverse reaction to them, and withdrawal was pretty brutal. I know this is a different type AD to the SSRI's, but wondering if I'm likely to have the same reaction if I try it, really can't go through that again. Also is withdrawal likely to be hard from it. Haven"t  tried a proper taper, as was made to CT the zop, and had such bad side effects from AD"s came off them in about 6 weeks

Been in hell ever since.

Hi @Lemanna

I moved your post so it's a part of your thread. Please write your questions in this thread, so everything is in one place. In order to advise you, please update your drug signature so we get a clear understanding of when you took the different drugs and when you quit. Add the years as well. :

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Every time you stop and start a drug the central nervous system (CNS) gets sensitized. This alone makes it likely that you will have a bad reaction when starting another drug. The fact that you have already had bad reactions makes this even more likely.

Here are some links you can read:

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

My drug signature is updated as shown on my post, no more drugs taken since June 2020 ?? How do I change the title, as asking a question so unlikely to get responses with current title. So are you saying as I had bad reaction to SSRI"s it's likely to be the same with any other AD that I take now please?

Been in hell ever since.

Am I likely have bad reaction to all AD"s ?

I had adverse reaction to SSRI"s taken while I was in bento withdrawal.  Still getting bad withdrawal from benzos so considering amitripytiline, just wondering if you had a bad reaction to SSRI"s whether the same is likely to happen with any AD"s you take. As can't go through that again

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Been in hell ever since.

• Kiasofia changed the title to Lemanna: Advise on severe anxiety from benzo and antidepressant withdrawal

Thank you for the updated signature.

6 hours ago, Lemanna said:

So are you saying as I had bad reaction to SSRI"s it's likely to be the same with any other AD that I take now please?

Yes, taking any other psychiatric drug now is risky for you. You can read more about it here:

Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

Withdrawal can last a long time. This post may be helpful in explaining:

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take?

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

It was within about week of starting citalopram had bad reaction. Had mild intrusive thoughts from benzo withdrawal, within week starting citalopram they got lot worse morphed into thoughts about lot other things , anxiety went through the roof, felt suicidal lot of the time, my hair starting falling out, panic attacks, felt dizzy, couldn't eat much of the time, spent lot time just crying, the longer I was on them worse it got. So would you assume it was reaction to the AD.s as the first 8 or so months off zopiclone didn't feel like that. Withdrawal was awful, whereas with the zopiclone wasn't too bad even though GP made me go CT. Husband wants me to try AD,s again, but scared could get same reaction? 

Been in hell ever since.

I recommend going back and reading through your thread and all the links posted. Find a safe way to cope with withdrawal. I understand your desperation to find the right pill that can help you feel normal again, but it is more likely you will get worse. Most people do not understand how these drugs actually work and how dangerous they can be. Your husband means well, but you are wise to be scared of getting the same reaction, or worse.

This webpage has a lot of good information. Perhaps have your husband read it.

Here is a thread about anxiety.

Take care❤️

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Lemanna said:

Am I likely have bad reaction to all AD"s ?

I had adverse reaction to SSRI"s taken while I was in bento withdrawal.  Still getting bad withdrawal from benzos so considering amitripytiline, just wondering if you had a bad reaction to SSRI"s whether the same is likely to happen with any AD"s you take. As can't go through that again

SA is a site for tapering/reducing psychiatric drugs not for what drug to try next.  Nobody can say what would happen if you tried amitriptyline.

Q:  Have you done your research about this drug?  Checked to see what difficulties other members have taking it and/or getting off it?  Checked for side effects?

It looks like you have already tried two different psychiatric drugs which may have caused bad issues.  If it was me I would be very reluctant to try a new psychiatric drug.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs has a cumulative effect, meaning that what you have done in the past adds up, it is not a fresh start each time, or a reset.  We have members here who have gone on and off the drugs and tried to find a drug which "works" and they have ended up with a destabilised nervous system.  This may not happen to you, but there is no way to know what will happen if you take a different drug.

If you do decide to start amitriptyline or another new drug, it will be your doctor's responsibility to monitor you and make any changes if needed.  SA will not be able to assist you with this.

• 11 months later...

Should I continue with Paxil?

Brief history, was forced CT zopiclone in Jan 2019 after 12 years. Resulted in awful withdrawal symptoms, anxiety, intrusive thoughts. Tried citalopram and sertraline over 2 years ago, seemed make symptoms worse. Never really felt like OCD more like extreme fear, phobia. Last 3 weeks intrusive thoughts git lit worse, almost like extreme phobia , so git script fir Paxil to try .Only day 4 tiny dise 2 mg. But almost like paranoia type symptoms, had severe shaking fir couple hours first 2 days. Almost like panic attacks. Not really eating. I know people say first week or so can be rough. GP say not on high enough dose, not knowledgable about SSRI’s whether they do differ, and whether should stick it out and hope things improve. They also gave me script for seroquel but sounds bit heavy duty haven’t tried it. Advice please . Am willing to stick it out if will benefit, but unsure if this a bad reaction to the Paxil. Took it years ago and helped during menopause.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Been in hell ever since.

Just wondered how anyone did on seroxat\paxil. Been over 2 years since tried the previous 2 anti depressants. Nearly 4 years off zopiclone. Not taken any more meds still zero improvement. Symptoms got really bad last 3 weeks greatly increased in intensity. Trying very low dose of seroxat as couple other people on another forum said really helped. On day 4 , anxiety pretty awful and first couple days was really shaky for couple hours wondering if this is normal , heard can be rough at first. I took it years ago and really helped when had hormonal depression. I tapered off it then and was fine, I recently stooped an anti histamine for sleep  so maybe connected as well.

Been in hell ever since.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lemanna: advise on severe anxiety from benzo and antidepressant withdrawal
  • Administrator
On 10/29/2022 at 5:52 AM, Lemanna said:

Only day 4 tiny dise 2 mg.

You are taking 2mg Paxil? How are you taking this, in liquid form? 

If I were you, if the effect of the drug is so bad, I wouldn't continue it.

Please discuss further antidepressant treatment with your prescriber. This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs, we do not recommend new drugs or help people to go on new drugs, that's what your doctor does.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.