renzz: Prozac and aripiprazole cold turkey

renzz

hey, before half year, i cold turkey take 80 mg prizma* that i take for 10 years because of ocd and ariply* 5 mg. 1 month and half ago i start to feel tremor in hands, muscle cramps, tinnitus and equiliburim. after 4 weeks i start to feel numbness in leg and sometime in arms. there is a chance it's a withdrawl symptoms or it's so much time?

From drugs.com:

Ingredient matches for Prizma

Fluoxetine

Fluoxetine hydrochloride (a derivative of Fluoxetine) is reported as an ingredient of Prizma in the following countries:

Israel

Aripiprazole is reported as an ingredient of Ariply in the following countries:

Israel

MOD NOTE:  Abilify = aripiprazole

Edited by ChessieCat
added drug information
  • ChessieCat changed the title to renzz: Prozac and aripiprazole cold turkey
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, renzz.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the date you cold-turkeyed.  When you list Prizma please also indicate the this is  Prozac.  When you list Aripiprazole please indicate that this is Abilify.  Use the link below and click "save" when you've finished.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

A delay in the appearance of withdrawal symptoms of a month and a half and four weeks is not uncommon.  This is definitely the case with Prozac, which has a very long half-life, meaning that withdrawal symptoms will be delayed in coming.The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information of withdrawal and the healing process.  Symptoms may come and go during withdrawal and over time you will heal.  Unfortunately, we can't predict the amount of time it will take.

How is your sleep?  Are the symptoms tolerable?

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

3 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, renzz.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the date you cold-turkeyed.  When you list Prizma please also indicate the this is  Prozac.  When you list Aripiprazole please indicate that this is Abilify.  Use the link below and click "save" when you've finished.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

A delay in the appearance of withdrawal symptoms of a month and a half and four weeks is not uncommon.  This is definitely the case with Prozac, which has a very long half-life, meaning that withdrawal symptoms will be delayed in coming.The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing, here is some information of withdrawal and the healing process.  Symptoms may come and go during withdrawal and over time you will heal.  Unfortunately, we can't predict the amount of time it will take.

How is your sleep?  Are the symptoms tolerable?

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

thanks for your respoense. but why symptoms can go away and others come like it's other thing and no withdrawal symtpoms? my b12 was really low in my blood test half year ago. maybe this the reason too? this medication really ruined my life. i not growth a inch in height and penis size and develeop gynocemstia and gain so much weight. i'm really sad about this things. will i be healthy one day? 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, renzz said:

will i be healthy one day? 

We're not doctors here, so I can't address your medical issues.  With withdrawal, it is quite common from symptoms to come and come and come again.

The whole central nervous system (CNS) affects every aspect of your life, physical, mental and emotional.  When you are in withdrawal from psychiatric drugs, the CNS is sensitized and dysregulated, causing all kind of symptoms.  This analogy explains what goes on in the brain during withdrawal:

On 12/3/2015 at 10:41 AM,  apace41 said: 
Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 months later...

Titled:  10 months off of Prozac and Abilify

hey guys, 10 month after ct prozac and abilfy. in this 2 month, when i eat i have tingling in feet and hands. did a blood test 4 weeks ago and the a1c was 5.3. can the withdrawal cause it or i'm diabetic but a1c is lie? thanks anyone.

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from symptoms and self care
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi renzz, @renzz

Hi, I just merged one of your posts back here to your Introduction, as this helps to keep all your information in one place.  And then we can see what has been responded, to you here as well.

Are you able to go to the link, and do a signature?  The link explaining this and also how to do one, is above.

Are you on any other drugs/medications right now?

On 12/23/2020 at 5:35 AM, renzz said:

Titled:  10 months off of Prozac and Abilify

hey guys, 10 month after ct prozac and abilfy. in this 2 month, when i eat i have tingling in feet and hands. did a blood test 4 weeks ago and the a1c was 5.3. can the withdrawal cause it or i'm diabetic but a1c is lie? thanks anyone.

I just googled the a1c level, and got a idea of what the numbers signify, from the cdc.gov site:

A normal A1C level is below 5.7%, a level of 5.7% to 6.4% indicates prediabetes, and a level of 6.5% or more indicates diabetes. Within the 5.7% to 6.4% prediabetes range, the higher your A1C, the greater your risk is for developing type 2 diabetes.Aug 21, 2018

I don't think the a1c is a lie, no.  It measures average blood sugars over a 3 month period, and is often used to diagnose diabetes type II.
Your number actually looked okay, at 5.3 %.

And yes, sure, WD could cause tingling feet and hands.  See: Paresthesia: pins and needles, numbness, tingling, and burning sensations aka neuropathy

Recovery from WDsyndrome can often come in a: Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization too.

How are you doing now?  How did you come off your Abilify and Prozac?
Were they replaced with any other drugs?

And best.
Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing