SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hey everybody.

I have been off Seroxat for 5 years, 9 months. I was initially put on a tranquilliser and Prozac for mild-moderate depression and mild situational anxiety. This was later changed to Seroxat. I was on antidepressants for 8.5 years.

I have been through a protracted withdrawal and my remaining symptoms include:

Insomnia (improved)

Weird leg sensations (much improved)

Feeling down (improved)

Intrusive thoughts and memories, OCD- like symptoms (much improved)

Ability to deal with stressful/upsetting situations compromised (improved)

Heightened emotional sensitivity (much improved)

Mild tightness in top of head (occasional)

I have phases/ windows where I feel like myself and am symptom-free and when I feel better than I did prior to taking antidepressants. It is miraculous that I have healed this much, as my brain and body were in a bad, bad state in earlier withdrawal.

I have experienced a big improvement in my creativity; this really means a lot to me. (It was badly affected by withdrawal). I also have found that I am not so overwhelmed by lots of information/stimuli. My sense of humour and ability to laugh is drastically better.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Hey, Gem! So great to read about your improvements, and it will be getting even better. The windows will be longer and longer. Please, keep us updated!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Welcome, Gem...

Looks like we are on about the same timeline...I can relate to your last three symptoms which I personally call "residual symptoms", but like you some days I am symptom free. My "residual" head tension is a little worse than "mild", but it does come and go.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

• Administrator

Thanks, Gem, for that history.

You and Hopeful and others who have seen improvement over the years are a source of wisdom and hope for those still in the thick of it!

If you feel up to it, I'd like to know how each of your symptoms changed, like the insomnia and OCD. Did you find any particular treatments helpful? What was the pattern of progress?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks very much Neuroplastic, Hopeful and Sur. I had a bit of a bad day Tuesday so your responses really helped.

I strongly believe I will recover fully.

I will post more soon.

Hopeful, it’s great to hear that you have symptom free days too. I hope you see more improvement with the head tension.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

hi Gem,

i am glad you are healing so well, the true life is coming back

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Thank you for your kind responses Stan and Summer. I do feel like I am returning to being my true self.

Welcome, Gem, and thanks for telling us your tale! I've always admired your manner on the other board.

I'm sorry you've had to go through so much thanks to these drugs, but so glad that you are feeling better and better.

It's particularly interesting that you can say you now sometimes feel better than you did prior to taking antidepressants, and that your creativity and sense of humor are burgeoning. This might just support the hypothesis that the process of healing from this drug damage may actually heal us of more than the drug damage.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gem, welcome! I look forward to hearing from you as you heal and blossom over the coming months and years. (And it's okay to write when you feel crappy too of course.)

--Rhiannon

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hey Gem,

Thanks for sharing and welcome! Even if you are not totally out of the woods yet, it is still very encouraging for me to hear that things have at least improved for you. Keep coming back -- I picked that phrase up in another life...

Alex.I

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Keep coming back -- I picked that phrase up in another life...

:D

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Thank you Healing, Rhiannon and Alex. Your responses mean a lot to me.

It’s great to hear my story is of some encouragement to others.

Wishing you all lots of healing.

Healing – I am so pleased and relieved to have my creativity returning. Maybe that hypothesis will turn out to be true. I very much hope you see more improvement.

Hopeful, it’s great to hear that you have symptom free days too. I hope you see more improvement with the head tension.

Thanks, Gem...I do have days where it is much better.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Good to hear it Hopeful :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody, before I report on my progress, there is something I want to say. I was advised in very early withdrawal to take St.John’s Wort, which I did. I have been reducing my dose very, very slowly (over a period of years) since I heard that it could possibly be detrimental.

I am very sorry to anybody that I have been in contact with regarding withdrawal for not telling them about this before. At first I was scared to say and due to severe OCD-like symptoms, strong emotional sensitivity and horrible repeating memories of anything that I was sensitive to or concerned about (see below), I couldn’t discuss it. I decided to come off it and reduced from 3 tablets a day and am currently on one eighth of a tablet per day. (Hoping to be off very soon) I ‘m not advocating the use of SJW for withdrawal, I just went on the advice I received at the time. It is hard to say whether or how it has affected me but with hindsight, I don’t think I would take it.

“If you feel up to it, I'd like to know how each of your symptoms changed, like the insomnia and OCD. Did you find any particular treatments helpful? What was the pattern of progress? “

OCD-like symptoms - Overall this is massively better. I got this pretty severely in early withdrawal; the intrusive thoughts could be very strong and could come out of absolutely nowhere. They would occasionally occur all day which was horrible. When I used CBT, they usually just reoccurred or I would experience a different negative thought. I would also get a random negative thought upon waking and wake up suddenly, feeling very anxious.

If I encountered an even slightly stressful event – the situation would just replay itself over and over again for days, things would just swing around my head. It was virtually unbearable. Now, this symptom is dramatically reduced. The morning thought has virtually disappeared. I can only recall about 2 in the last 6 months. Sometimes (not often), I do find a situation going round my head a bit intrusively, which can disrupt my sleep.

I found distraction did sometimes help these symptoms (TV, films, reading) I also used some visualisation techniques, and tried focusing on my breathing. But I think it was time that helped the most to heal this.

Insomnia - In early withdrawal, my sleep was often disrupted. I would either have trouble getting to sleep or wake up at around 5 in the morning, usually when I had to work. I hated this symptom with a passion. I found it really affected me and exacerbated the other symptoms. I go through phases where my sleep is very good. It is good more often than not. I get the odd night or short phases where I can’t sleep for several days in a row. Pressure can also (not always) cause some sleep disruption, and PMS does affect it.

I sometimes wake up too early, but am able to get back to sleep again after eating something.

With my sleep, I sometimes tried everything and nothing would work. The following sometimes helped:

Reading (books rather than magazines)

Listening to a self-hypnotism recording, relaxing music or talking books

Lavender essential oil

A valerian, hops and lemon balm tablet

I also take Magnesium Citrate and I think this does help.

Talking to a friend

Leg pains and sensations – Much worse in earlier stages of withdrawal. In cold weather, I found it sometimes quite painful to walk. Currently I am usually free of this. I think it worsens slightly with PMS and sometimes at night.

• Administrator

Thank you so much for this information, Gem.

SJW is a noradrenergic (among other things) -- one thing most of us with withdrawal syndrome find is that we don't need the stimulation of a noradrenergic.

It makes perfect sense that it added to stress sensitivity.

We'll have to put those persistent thoughts down to neuro-emotion (© Healing), emotions caused by the biochemical chaos of withdrawal rather than normal emotional reactions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto,

Yeah, I agree with you about the thoughts being caused by withdrawal. I still feel I will heal further regarding emotional reactions. Biochemical Chaos pretty much describes how I felt yesterday!

• 3 months later...

I am St. John's Wort free as of 7th July :)

• Administrator

Are you feeling any better?

I haven’t been great recently but this is due to having a virus for the last few weeks. I always find colds/flu worsen or bring on some withdrawal symptoms. I also have to re-apply for positions at work as well and so this has not helped. Not knowing if I will have enough work has not been good!

Before the virus and after I came off SJW, I didn’t notice much difference at all in my wellbeing/health.

The only thing was that I seemed to need a bit less sleep and did not feel so tired when I didn’t get quite so much, which was great.

• 8 years later...

Apologies for not posting for a while. I am happy for this to be used in any research.

I consider myself virtually healed. I very occasionally experience mild leg sensations, which I had quite strongly in early withdrawal, and on and off throughout it. They only last for a few minutes and seem to be unrelated to stress.

If I experience quite a lot of stress, my sleep can be affected, although not seriously. I am perhaps still slightly more sensitive to stress, but my capacity to cope with it has improved massively. Currently, I have quite a challenging job which I never in a million years thought I could ever do, even prior to withdrawal. It's not full-time but it's not far off.

I have done a lot of emotional healing from the trauma of withdrawal, but I find the impact on my life difficult to deal with at times. I am currently rebuilding my life, which is going well overall although Covid-19 has stalled things a little. 

I have an auto-immune skin condition which I have had for the past few years. I do not know if this is related to withdrawal or the stress of going through withdrawal or not. I am using diet, herbs and supplements to heal this.

My heart goes out to anyone suffering from the adverse effects or withdrawal from these drugs.

All the best to everyone,

Gem 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Gem said:

I have an auto-immune skin condition which I have had for the past few years. I do not know if this is related to withdrawal or the stress of going through withdrawal or not. I am using diet, herbs and supplements to heal this.

Dear Gem--THIS IS SO WONDERFUL TO HEAR.  I'm so glad for you that you are doing so well, and appreciate that you've taken the time to share.  

If you have further time, I wonder what diet, herbs and supplements have been useful for your auto-immune skin condition.  The doctors have diagnosed mine, which flared up with w/d, as psoriasis for which they prescribed cortisol creme.  I haven't used it as I would prefer to try a more natural approach.

Your healing so uplifts me--thank you,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• Administrator

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Dear Arbor,

Thank you - I am so glad that my healing has uplifted you. I will write soon about the diet, herbs etc. Sorry, things have been quite full-on at work. 

Thank you Alto for the sunshine symbol :) 

Gem x 

Dear Arbor,

Regarding my diet, supplements etc; I am on the AIP diet (Autoimmune Protocol). It is quite full-on though! I built up to it gradually - removing gluten and dairy for several months prior to starting on the full diet. It was designed as a temporary protocol, although some people make long-term changes to their diet.

I am doing the fish-based AIP diet rather than the meat version. A nutritionist recommended the diet to me.

I would say though, that I don’t know if this diet would be suitable for someone in early or mid withdrawal. I made any changes quite gradually. I did feel a bit ill when I first went onto the diet!

It is probably advisable to see a practitioner but also to be aware that they may not know about withdrawal. We can be so sensitive during it. Also, we are so different so what suits one person may not be ideal for someone else. (As I ‘m sure you’re aware!)

Supplements

L-Glutamine

Fish collagen

Gelatine

Zinc Carnosine

Deglycyrrhized Liquorice

Digestive enzymes

Bacillus Coagulans– a soil-based probiotic

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) – liver support

Alpha-Lipoic-Acid – liver support

Magnesium Citrate

Iron Bisglycinate

Vitamin D

B Vitamins occasionally

Herbs

Dandelion and burdock.

This person had good results with burdock - https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=1324

Milk thistle - to support and heal the liver. I found this helped with digestion.

Walnut, wormwood and cloves – I only took these temporarily

Barberry – I took this for one week

I use ginger, turmeric and cinnamon in my cooking.

I learnt that you have to be careful when combining certain herbs and supplements and extra careful when using certain herbs, particularly with black walnut, wormwood and barberry. There are some that should only be taken in very small doses for short periods of time.

I found Dr. Axe very helpful. He links autoimmune conditions to leaky gut. I also looked at Richard Whelan. He is very informative when it comes to herbs.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Take care,

Gem xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh my gosh, Gem, this is so helpful.  I really appreciate your taking the time to put this together for me.  I also hear the wisdom in how you advise approaching it all.  As with your earlier posts, this is a true kindness as I struggle to find some health again.  May you enjoy ongoing health and happiness.

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Thanks Arbor : )  I am very glad to be of help.

I also forgot to mention that milk thistle is believed to increase glutathione, which has been mentioned on this forum as being instrumental in healing.

I've just been reading that apparently, glutathione can protect against inflammation, support immunity and the regeneration of the blood-brain barrier and gut lining. It seems like it is pretty important in the management/healing of autoimmune conditions.

The N-Acetyl Cysteine that I am taking is also meant to boost levels of glutathione. 

I also reduced 'FODMAP' foods ( types of carbohydrates)  - while I was figuring out what I was reacting to.

Some people think that leaky gut may be linked to SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) or histamine issues.

Wishing you all the best in your healing,

Gem x

I have also started to take marshmallow root. It is meant to help with healing the gut lining. It’s also been indicated in healing skin conditions.

I am thinking about slippery elm which is thought to help with digestive issues and external skin conditions brought on by inflammation.

Slippery elm and marshmallow root are both mucilaginous herbs.

There is some disagreement between the autoimmune specialists though, about whether to use them with autoimmune conditions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Gem--All of this is so helpful.  Thank you!

May you be healthy and happy,

Arbor

Thanks Arbor :)

You too, wishing you much healing 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @Gem

I am happy that I have come across your story and your useful recommendations. 

Did you experience anhedonia or emotional flatness in your withdrawal? If so, what supplements/herbs have helped you with this symptom? 

2nd of April 2020 - 7th of April 2020 Sertraline 50 mg (adverse reaction).

2nd of August 2020 Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg (currently on).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cleopatra,

Thank you, glad that you found some of my recommendations useful. I didn't really experience emotional flatness in withdrawal. My emotions were very magnified and up & down, and sometimes absolutely massive! So I don't think I could really recommend anything for this unfortunately.

I experienced some loss of pleasure but this was mainly due to feeling so awful at times.

Gem