Jlee: off all meds and hoping for healing

Jlee

Hi, I just recently found this website and I am hoping to gain support and insight into healing.  My journey with medication withdrawal began 2 years ago when out of the blue after getting my prescription for Mirtazapine refilled I began to get extremely sick. At the time I was taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine (had taken this for 20 years) and I was also taking 50 mg of Tramadol twice daily. (Taken for 10 years) For those who don’t know, Tramadol is a synthetic opioid medication that also has SSRI attributes, which at the time I did not realize. For years I felt great on these medication. I have suffered from anxiety my whole life and when I started taking these medications together I felt “normal” for the first time in my life. I was happy and anxiety felt like a thing of the past. So when I went to get my Mirtazapine refilled and began to get sick I couldn’t figure out why. The pharmacist had to have made a mistake. I made several Dr. appointments and kept telling the Dr. I thought I had serotonin syndrome. I was told this condition was so rare that couldn’t be it. So back to the pharmacist I went. I soon discovered that the manufacturer of the Mirtazapine was bought out by another company and that because the medication was generic there can be different fillers and variables. All I new was I was extremely sick, having massive anxiety, rapid heartbeat, and sleeping only 1-3 hours a night.

My doctor was retiring so I had to find a new doctor,  which was fine because my symptoms were completely being dismissed. Right around this time was when the opioid crisis hit and my new doctor told me she no longer wanted me on Tramadol. I don’t blame her as I told her the only reason I took it was for my anxiety. I began to cut back like I was told to, by breaking my pill in half. You know the story!  Well needless to say I became so overwhelmed with depression I became suicidal and was having massive panic attacks. So the doctor put me on 25 mg of Sertraline to help with the depression and Tramadol withdrawal. I was able to somehow stabilize, but still felt sick most of the time. 
My doctor also wanted me to go off of Mirtazapine because I had been on it for so long. So again I tried cutting the pills in half and again I became massively depressed and suicidal. So after doing research on my own I realized that I was going to have to have the

Mirtazapine compounded. So I began a 10 percent taper per month but did not realize it was 10 percent of each last amount. So I just keep cutting 10 percent.  I took me about 10 months to taper from the Mirtazapine and I completed it in June of 2020. 
At the same time I was slowly cutting back on the Sertraline. (I was at 50 mg) in April of this year I began working with a holistic psychiatrist.  I couldn’t take it anymore. My body felt like it had aged 20 years. I was exhausted all the time, depressed and anxious, still not sleeping, and just not believing I would ever feel better.  
I was put a supplement regiment of liquid vitamin and minerals, liposomal glutathione, fish oil, and SeroPlus. I cut gluten and dairy from my diet and eliminated as much sugar as I could  After about 6-8 weeks of supplements I was able to regain some of my strength and confidence and began to cut back relatively quickly on the Sertraline. My last dose was August 8th. I felt great for about three weeks and thought I was in the clear and then out of the blue I was hit again with withdrawal. I tried to reinstate a small dose of Sertraline but it didn’t work and so I’ve decided to try to toughen it out. 
Through this process I have been using energy medicine  techniques that have helped a great deal and I have also started meditating twice a day.  Ian also working with a therapist. I have feeling of withdrawal that included my skin feeling hot and prickly, headaches, brain fog, brain zaps, and anxiety. I don’t have these symptoms everyday, they seem to come and go.  I get very scared reading other peoples stories and hearing how these symptoms can last for years. I am clinging to any hope of healing, and think part of the problem is I want healing right now and I finally realized it isn’t going to happen that way. 
Is it really possible to heal from anxiety with out meds? How much of my anxiety is life circumstances and how much is withdrawal? Will I ever feel joy again?  These are the questions that run through my mind. 

Any words of encouragement and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

15 mg Mirtazapine 2000-2020

50 mg Tramadol twice daily 2009-2020

50 mg Sertraline 2019-2020

taper completed August 8th

supplements: Brainchild liquid vitamin and minerals, fish oil, liposomal glutathione, liposomal vitamin C

meditation twice daily

energy medicine techniques including EFT , and Logosynthesis 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jlee: off all meds and hoping for healing
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Jlee, and congratulations on being drug-free.  You have a great attitude, and I'm glad you've found techniques and therapy that iareworking for you.  From what you've written, you're making great progress.  Take a look at our Success Stories forum.  They point to the answer that you will feel joy again. That your symptoms come and go is a very encouraging sign of healing.  

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

So that you might better understand what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Here are some techniques for dealing with anxiety, some of which you may already be familiar with.  I've found the restorative yoga posture (legs on wall) to be very helpful with anxiety.

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)

Anxiety Stuff - all kinds of stuff about anxiety attacks and things that help …

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

Here are some other techniques you may find helpful.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Another supplement you might consider is magnesium, which many members find calming.  Start at a low dose.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I am wondering if I have been off Sertraline to long to reinstate the medication. I am second guessing myself because I feel so crappy. I torn between trying to tough it out or try to reinstate. I’m nervous about reinstating because I tried one other time and got really sick. Not sure what to do.  I’m tired of felling sick. It been a long two years.  Any advice would be helpful!

supplements: Brainchild liquid vitamin and minerals, fish oil, liposomal glutathione, liposomal vitamin C

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus

@Jlee

A little information, please.  

1. Your last dose was August 8, correct?  

2. What dose were you taking when you stopped?  

3. What dose did you reinstate and when?

4. You wrote that the reinstatement didn't work.  Did it simply not improve your symptoms (i.e., there was no change) or did your symptoms worsen?

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I was actually off all meds on July 4th. Then I became sick with withdrawal so I reinstated at 12.5 MHz. When I reinstated I was also taking SeroPlus and it felt like I had symptoms of serotonin syndrome.  I had rapid heart beat and was vomiting, and unable to sleep more than 1 hour.  I stopped the SeroPlus and decreased from the 12.5 mg very quickly and took my last dose on August 8th. My current withdrawal symptoms are not as bad as they were when I reinstated at 12.5 mg. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, Jlee said:

I was actually off all meds on July 4th.

What was your last dose before you stopped on July 4?  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I stopped last dose on July 4th, reinstated at 12.5 mg two weeks later. Became very sick and dropped to 7.25 a week later and then stopped all together on Aug. 8th. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Jlee said:

ped last dose on July 4t

What mg dose was your last dose before stopping on July 4?  That is to say, what dose did you take on July 3?  I need to know this dose to consider, if you reinstate again, how much to reinstate.  We calculate reinstatement based on the amount of your last dose before stopping.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

12.5 mg

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, Jlee said:

12.5 mg

We always suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  This is because generally the reason for reinstatement is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms caused by a cold turkey or too fast taper,.  Due to your fast taper of Sertraline, your system was sensitized and had also become somewhat accustomed to being off the drug.  Reinstating 12.5mg was too much and overwhelmed your system.

The question now is whether to reinstate a very small dose of Sertraline.  You're still within the time frame for reinstatement, within 3 months of last dose.  But your system is doubly destabilized now, from the fast taper and from the too-large reinstatement.  You could ride it out.  Or you could reinstate 1mg Sertraline--no more.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you feel worse after reinstating 1mg, stop immediately.

This link tells you how to get the small nonstandard 1mg dose you'll need if you reinstate.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Once you've stabilized on 1mg, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do and, if you reinstate, how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

10 hours ago, Jlee said:

I went and purchased some magnesium glysinate yesterday and took some last night. Would I be harming my healing healing process if I took clonazepam when I am extremely desperate to get some sleep. My Dr. prescribed it but I feel like I need a lot and I am afraid to create another problem. Also if magnesium is going to help how long does it usually take to notice the effects. Also are all fish oils the same?  Can someone recommend a good brand. Just feeling overwhelmed. 

It is better to try other options:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

16 minutes ago, Jlee said:

St. John’s Wort is it effective?

Hi, I have been working with a holistic psychiatrist and I’m frustrated because I have been experiencing anxiety and some depression after being off of Sertraline for 62 days. She has suggested that I try St. John Wort. I did not see much information on this site about it. I am wondering if it would be beneficial?  I’m a little hesitate to try because it seems like I don’t do well with herbals. She told me because I have had anxiety since I was a child that I might not have the amino acid building blocks to make Serotonin.  Anybody know anything about this?  I’m kind of sick of getting supplements pushed at me. 

The above post has been moved to the existing topic.  Please ensure that you read Post #1.  st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum

Instead of introducing a new "drug", St John's Wort, it would probably be better to try a reinstatement of a small amount of the drug which is causing your withdrawal symptoms.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH REINSTATEMENT......I can't take it!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT ANSWER IS. Hi I posted a few weeks ago about reinstate and decided that I was going to try to grit it out. I am wondering if this far out if I can still reinstate.  I have been off Sertraline for 68 days. My last dose when I stopped was 7.5 mg on August 8th. My original dosage was 50 mg. I tapered in about six weeks. I was also tapering 15 mg Mirtazapine at the time which I compounded and tapered of the course of 10 months and completed in July. I have so many mixed emotions about reinstating. One being I’m a huge failure and two maybe I really do need these pills. All I know is that I’m having a really difficult time functioning right now. I’m have night terrors, cortisol spikes and extreme anxiety during the day making it virtually impossible to go to work. I also just recently started taking magnesium glysinate so I’m not sure if I can reinstate with taking that. Also, if I were to reinstate should I start with liquid Sertraline instead of the pills I was taking. Gridly  helped me with information at the time about reinstating at 1 mg but that doesn’t seem like enough.  I’m wondering if that would still hold true. Right now I’d love to take a whole pill and immediately feel better but I know that won’t happen either. Also if I do just take 1mg from the pill can someone explain how I cut the or get to that point. I was going to start reinstatement at 3.25 1/4 of a tablet. I’M JUST SO CONFUSED AND SCARED. Some please help me. I have last all confidence in this holistic psychiatrist who keeps telling me I’m not feeling withdrawl I’m feeling this way because of toxins and infections in my body. I have been having to take Clonazepam on and off over the last three weeks and I feel like I’m digging myself another new hole. 

Edited by manymoretodays
titled added, merged from tapering or S and S care to Introduction

meditation twice daily

Titled: Suffering due to toxins and infections, holistic doctors

Hi, so I’m just wondering— has anyone ever heard of a holistic Dr. say that your symptoms of withdrawal are from toxins and infections and not from stopping your medications. I’m quite angry because I paid this holistic psychiatrist a lot of money to help me withdrawal from medications. In hind sight it was way to fast, and now I know I’m in full withdrawal.  She will not mention the word withdrawal and claims my body might not have the ability to convert amino acids into serotonin because I’ve had anxiety my whole life, and that I’m suffering because of toxins and infections in my body—not because my brain is adjusting to having these medications stopped.   When I told her I wanted to reinstate she said my body has developed a hypersensitive reaction to the medication, because I tried to reinstate one other time and got very sick but I think I was from all the supplements.  I am so frustrated because I am at a loss for what to do. Everything in my gut is telling me to try to reinstate, stabilize, and then do an incredibly slow micro taper. I cannot continue suffering like this. Now she wants to start me on homeopathic serotonin, I have tried over 35 supplements with this person and I guess I’m fed up. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do. 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged with introduction from S and S care, title added

meditation twice daily

23 minutes ago, Jlee said:

Hi, so I’m just wondering— has anyone ever heard of a holistic Dr. say that your symptoms of withdrawal are from toxins and infections and not from stopping your medications. I’m quite angry because I paid this holistic psychiatrist a lot of money to help me withdrawal from medications. In hind sight it was way to fast, and now I know I’m in full withdrawal.  She will not mention the word withdrawal and claims my body might not have the ability to convert amino acids into serotonin because I’ve had anxiety my whole life, and that I’m suffering because of toxins and infections in my body—not because my brain is adjusting to having these medications stopped.   When I told her I wanted to reinstate she said my body has developed a hypersensitive reaction to the medication, because I tried to reinstate one other time and got very sick but I think I was from all the supplements.  I am so frustrated because I am at a loss for what to do. Everything in my gut is telling me to try to reinstate, stabilize, and then do an incredibly slow micro taper. I cannot continue suffering like this. Now she wants to start me on homeopathic serotonin, I have tried over 35 supplements with this person and I guess I’m fed up. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do. 

JLee,

Seems like you know the answer. 

Listen to what you know. You are the expert of your own body and you have the collective knowledge of thousands of people here. Trust it. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

I know- I’m waiting to hear back from someone here about reinstating. I’ve been through withdrawal before with the Tramadol and Mirtazapine so I know exactly what’s going on with my body. I going to reinstate and let my body heal for as long as it takes and then do the micro-taper. It’s hard to withdrawal but from what I’ve read about people who have done a micro taper says it does have to this hard. I guess we live and learn from our mistakes. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jlee, @Jlee

I understand that you are feeling pretty darn pressured for relief.  I am in the process of re- compiling some of your posts now, back to your Introduction page here.  This is the best place for you to post questions around your particular case and concerns. 

And okay, you'll understand why we do this now.........I can see that Gridley went over re-instatement with you on September 2nd. 

And then I don't know where you went.  Looks like you came back around last friday or so.

I'll go ahead and quote the instructions from that post here for you:

On 9/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Gridley said:

We always suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  This is because generally the reason for reinstatement is to alleviate withdrawal symptoms caused by a cold turkey or too fast taper,.  Due to your fast taper of Sertraline, your system was sensitized and had also become somewhat accustomed to being off the drug.  Reinstating 12.5mg was too much and overwhelmed your system.

The question now is whether to reinstate a very small dose of Sertraline.  You're still within the time frame for reinstatement, within 3 months of last dose.  But your system is doubly destabilized now, from the fast taper and from the too-large reinstatement.  You could ride it out.  Or you could reinstate 1mg Sertraline--no more.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you feel worse after reinstating 1mg, stop immediately.

This link tells you how to get the small nonstandard 1mg dose you'll need if you reinstate.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Once you've stabilized on 1mg, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

Please keep us updated on what you decide to do and, if you reinstate, how you're doing.

And.  I completely agree with Gridley.  Start real low if this is something you are wanting to try now.  Also important to note, is that it's not likely to totally restore you to baseline, yet may take the edge of what you are going through now.

And yes, unfortunately a lot of holistic doctors don't give credence to WD(withdrawal), especially after the initial acute phase of a couple of weeks or a month.  Many members have persisted spending lot's of time and money, or trying some odd detoxes to no avail.  We see it all the time.

I honestly think you'd be better off reinstating with some of the sertraline, rather than some serotonin precursor or whatever it is that this holistic practitioner is offering.  It'll be a whole lot easier to know the dose, and control the dose with using the sertraline now.  That's my take.

Has the magnesium helped at all?  And what are your most intense symptoms now?  We can try and help you to cope with those too, in non-drug ways.

Jlee, you're not alone here in getting some understanding.  And maybe now is a great time to just try a teeny reinstatement dose.  You'll need to hang in there with it, and try and go for 4 to 7 days before doing any other changes, additions, etc.  Keeping notes can be really helpful too. 

Okay, I'm going to stop there and round up some of your other posts now.  I should be around for another half hour to 45 minutes though, so ask away, if further questions on reinstating now.

Welcome, best,

L, P, H, and G,

mod mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
color change, additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Jlee, I just added a bit in black there too, around using the sertraline, rather than some natural serotonin something or other.  It just seems safer to stick with the sertraline to me.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

My worst symptoms now are waking up with night terrors and extreme adrenaline rushes, and extreme anxiety during the day. I also am not able to eat. I cannot get anything down because I’m so anxious, and I’m afraid of going to work because I work at the post office delivering mail and because I can’t sleep I’m so tired I’m afraid of getting in an accident.  
can you help me with measuring these pills. I have a scale and a 25 mg pill weighs .820. I I want 1 mg my pill should weigh .033. Is this correct. I used dosed weights spreadsheet. 

meditation twice daily

Would I be better off getting a prescription for liquid Sertraline or could that throw my nervous system off even more?

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus

5 hours ago, Jlee said:

I really think the answer is for me to reinstate Sertraline but I’m so scared to.  But I just cannot take these night terrors. I’m afraid I waited to long. I’ve been off for 64 days and I know I tapered way to fast. 
I am feeling so lost and hopeless. My regular Dr. tells me Sertraline is an absolute safe drug to be on long term. My holistic psychiatrist tells me my body doesn’t use amino acids to build serotonin.  And I’m at a complete loss. 

Hey.  Just quoted and moved another here.  Yes, I understand your fear.  And YES, super sized yes........on getting liquid.  That will be much easier to get small doses with.  Get some syringes, oral syringes too, with good markings.

If you want you can even reinstate with 1/2 mg or .5 mg. 

Solly.....I hit save before I answered all your questions.  No liquid will not throw you off any further.  No way!

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

Jlee,

You can make your own liquid too! 

Tips for tapering Zoloft(sertraline)

I'd just go with making it a one milligram per one millileter solution

25 mg in 25 mL of water.

See how to make a liquid from tablets or capsules too

I think the advantage of the prescription liquid is that it will keep longer. 

With the homemade's we usually caution to use it for 3-7 days only, and then discard and remix.

Are you still delivering mail today?  Oh wow, if so......B)❤️

• Moderator Emeritus

On 10/9/2020 at 4:47 AM, Jlee said:

I went and purchased some magnesium glysinate yesterday and took some last night. Would I be harming my healing healing process if I took clonazepam when I am extremely desperate to get some sleep. My Dr. prescribed it but I feel like I need a lot and I am afraid to create another problem. Also if magnesium is going to help how long does it usually take to notice the effects. Also are all fish oils the same?  Can someone recommend a good brand. Just feeling overwhelmed. 

And okay, IF absolutely neccessary on the clonazepam for sleep.  Don't make a habit of it though.......as it only takes 2 weeks to dependency on benzos.  And then, you'd have another taper to go through and all the rest of the ugliness.

And let's see.....Fish Oils or Omega 3's 

Important topics about test, supplements, treatments, and diet

Including this, as you'll find an indexed list ^, that will really help you find many answers.  You'll see the topics on cortisol, etc. there.  Non-drug coping strategies and ideas too.

Here's the specific one on Omega 3's : https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/Mainly, try and find one that doesn't have lot's of other additives, and start low.  That's one of the longer topics.  I use Barlean's and split my total Omega 3's dose into 2.

And so sorry Jlee, I've got to go do my life momentarily.  We'll, and I will, be checking back........so do stick with using your Introduction now, so we can keep your stuff, all in context, when you ask questions.  Other members, and mentors can meet you here too, and help and support.

Best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

So if I make my own 25 mg in 25 ml of water how much of that do I take for 1 mg. I’m sorry my brain absolutely cannot think right now. I’m so SCARED I’m not going to make it through this. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus

That would be just 1 mL or 1 millileter.  If you want to do a try with just 0.5 mg, then it would be half of that, or 0.5 mL. 

And.....you might have to just try and get right between the .4 and .6 on the syringe, below the 1 mL mark, if your oral syringe has one..

Whatever you try, just be real consistent Jlee.  Take that same amount every day at the same time.  And measure the dose consistently, the same way.

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Keeping notes can be really helpful too. 

Look at this ^ for an idea of how to post.  Time on the left.  We really want to see and evaluate, how you felt before the drug, and then how you felt after, and see anything else going on in your day, or with sleep, or other supplements, etc.

Meantime, eat.  Eat!  Go with bland stuff if you need to.  Bananas, puddings, soups, saltines, even baby food.  Eat though!  Toast is good too, easy.

Do look at the link, the how to make a liquid one too.  Get a container with a lid.  And then protect from light.  You can use a syringe  to measure your 25 mL.  Room temperature water usually works better, might be best to use bottled or filtered water(but not distilled).  It may take a few minutes for your tablet to dissolve and then swirl the container around- gently shake, no need to violently shake or anything.

And here's one with pictures of oral syringes when you scroll down:

Hoping you'll get some further support here going too, real soon.  It's so very tough right now........for you.  And I put a note in for the mentors to stop on by.

Best of the best intentions sweetie.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I was able to get a prescription at a compounding pharmacy for liquid Sertraline for 1 mg. I am wondering if it will make difference to use my own pills and make a liquid or use the prescription liquid. I’m guessing because I’m in protracted withdrawal it want matter much.  I tried to make my own just to experiment.  My question is about the settling in the bottom of the container.  How do you know your getting an accurate measurement? Or the residue on the side of the container. My holistic psychiatrist told me that this is a homeostatic dose and won’t make much difference. I’m so angry and sick of Doctors dismissing the way I feel. I’m scared as hell right now that I’m never going to sleep again, remember things, eat, or feel true joy. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

It just seems safer to stick with the sertraline to me.

I totally agree.  

Your comments from another thread:

"I’m afraid I waited to long. I’ve been off for 64 days" 

You haven't waited too long.  Reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months of last dose and often after that point.

"My regular Dr. tells me Sertraline is an absolute safe drug to be on long term."

Totally disagree.  These drugs haven't been around long enough to tell what the effect of long-term use is.  

"My holistic psychiatrist tells me my body doesn’t use amino acids to build serotonin."  

This sounds like absolute nonsense. 

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I started taking 400 mg of magnesium glycinate 3 days ago but experienced stomach upset so I went down to two tablets and stomach upset seems better. I haven’t noticed much difference in feeling less anxious. Maybe it takes awhile?  
I very lucky to have a supportive family but I feel so bad that have to keep seeing me this way.   I’m not sure they understand how difficult this truly is. And I’m tired of them seeing me depressed and sad. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus

8 hours ago, Jlee said:

My holistic psychiatrist tells me my body doesn’t use amino acids to build serotonin.

chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please

So I majorly screwed up and reinstated at about 4 mg. I was in such a panic and not thinking straight weighing my tablets I did it wrong. I now have the liquid and I’m wondering since it’s only been day three of my reinstatement can I drop down to the 1mg. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Jlee said:

can I drop down to the 1mg. 

I think you should be fine dropping down to 1mg liquid.  Thing may be unsteady for a few days but should settle down after that.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I want to thank Gridley, ChessieCat, and Manymoredays for all your help. 

How does is person know if they are in a really bad wave or if they need to reinstate the medication?  I’m just wondering because I’m feeling bad I reinstated 1mg of Sertraline and I’m afraid I’m taking a step backward. Will my brain continue to heal if I reinstate? 

meditation twice daily

One more quick question. I decided to make my own liquid by dissolving 1 25mg pill in 25mg of water. How long is this solution good for?  And does the glass container have to be dark?  Also, I started taking 2 tablets of magnesium at night but dropped to 1 because of stomach upset. Can I split the dose and try taking one in the morning?  I’ve only been taking this for about a week. Should I let my body continue to adjust to 1 tablet?  Hard to tell if it’s helping. 

meditation twice daily

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Jlee said:

How long is this solution good for?

About 4 days refrigerated in covered container.  It's dark in the fridge when the door is closed so it wouldn't need to be in a dark container unless you live in a household where the fridge is opened a lot.  Ensure that you use the same method each time with the same tools.  Even the same area of the bench or table because the slope can vary.

15 hours ago, Jlee said:

Also, I started taking 2 tablets of magnesium at night but dropped to 1 because of stomach upset. Can I split the dose and try taking one in the morning?  I’ve only been taking this for about a week. Should I let my body continue to adjust to 1 tablet?

If you are taking magnesium for it's calming effect it is better taken throughout the day.  Magnesium

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Jlee said:

How does is person know if they are in a really bad wave or if they need to reinstate the medication?  I’m just wondering because I’m feeling bad I reinstated 1mg of Sertraline and I’m afraid I’m taking a step backward. Will my brain continue to heal if I reinstate? 

I suggest you read the links which were provided in this post.  Especially check out the withdrawal symptoms list.