normlex

normlex: Lexapro side effects after many years

normlex

Been on this for 8 yrs.  The last 2 yrs I have had fatigue/low energy.  Want to know if this drug has quit on me.  I would prefer to be off of it.

Lexapro 2008-2014 - 10mg, 2014-Feb 2020 20mg, Tapered by 5mg steps from 20mg down to 0mg by May 2019 approx. took 6 months, went back to 20mg since it did not accomplish my objective but not due to withdrawal symptoms, , Feb 2020 went down to 10mg from 20 mg to Aug 17 '20, Aug 18 2020 dropped to 5mg to Sep 1 2020, Sep 2 back to 10mg due to wd symp.

Ativan - 1mg daily in morning, over 2yrs at this dose

Cetirizine - Dec 2019 std otc dose at bedtime, Aug 30 2020 stopped taking til Sep 8 2020, Sep 9 2020 1/2 tablet til Sep 13 2020, Sep 14 2020 full tablet til present

normlex

Lexapro side effects after many years?

For the last 2 years I have had fatigue/low energy/sleepiness throughout the day, bu mostly in the morning.  This effect seems to be improved with food consumption.  At wakeup in the morning I can feel a tiredness/groggy feeling in my head/eyes and it doesn't go away unless I eat a good breakfast, a protein bar at mid-morning, and then a good lunch.  Also, I eat a protein bar at bedtime and the more calories I eat at bedtime the lesser the effect is in the morning.  I am wondering if other ppl on Lexapro have experienced this, and if so, what was done to overcome it if you were successful.  I have mostly been on 20mg/day, but have switched to 10mg/day in the past 6 months.  I have seen many doctors, 3 Endos, Urologist, Neurologist. GP.  The other piece to the puzzle is that my testosterone is low.  I know that this can be associated with low energy, but I have had it treated and it did not help.  I have a theory that it may possible that the Lexapro has effected my endocrine system.  I have not been able to find any hard evidence that Lexapro (or other SSRIs) can alter the body's endocrine system in this way.  If that is possible, can tapering off the lex help me out?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Lexapro 2008-2014 - 10mg, 2014-Feb 2020 20mg, Tapered by 5mg steps from 20mg down to 0mg by May 2019 approx. took 6 months, went back to 20mg since it did not accomplish my objective but not due to withdrawal symptoms, , Feb 2020 went down to 10mg from 20 mg to Aug 17 '20, Aug 18 2020 dropped to 5mg to Sep 1 2020, Sep 2 back to 10mg due to wd symp.

Cetirizine - Dec 2019 std otc dose at bedtime, Aug 30 2020 stopped taking til Sep 8 2020, Sep 9 2020 1/2 tablet til Sep 13 2020, Sep 14 2020 full tablet til present

ChessieCat

Hi Norm and welcome to SA,

To get you started please create your drug signature.  We need to see ALL drugs, doses and dates for the dose changes.  Details for last 2 years, summary for anything older.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have more details we will be better able to offer suggestions.

6 hours ago, normlex said:

Want to know if this drug has quit on me. 

Please see this topic:  Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

normlex

I'm not sure how detailed to get with my drug history.  It includes TRT (with twists and turns) which has since been stopped.  Also, I am not officially looking to withdraw from Lexapro nor have I started a withdrawal at present and so there are no 'w/d' symptoms.  I am not sure which direction to go, atm.  And do I include a previous withdrawal from about 2yrs (I'm verifying the timeframe) ago?

ChessieCat
17 hours ago, normlex said:

It includes TRT

I'm assuming that this is testosterone replacement therapy?

From your drug signature:  Ativan - 1mg daily in morning, >2yrs at this dose

Are you still taking this.  Please add the dates.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

ChessieCat
17 hours ago, normlex said:

Also, I am not officially looking to withdraw from Lexapro

I'm confused by this statement.  When you previously stated:

On 9/9/2020 at 3:56 AM, normlex said:

I would prefer to be off of it.

Are you wanting tapering advice or not?

I will give you links for tapering anyway so you have the information:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Also:

On 9/9/2020 at 3:56 AM, normlex said:

Want to know if this drug has quit on me.

Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”

My tapering program

normlex

If the symptoms I am getting are related to Lexapro, then yes I would like to taper off.  I am asking if someone or a group of ppl can provide info that is similar to my experience.  if they are replies, perhaps provide some link(s) (I have seen there is a correlation between low T and SSRIs and I have seen there is a correlation between the body's endocrine system and SSRIs, but I have not seen any definitive proof, altho, at this point I'll greatly heed the anecdotal advice of others who have been successful)showing such a connection between lex and my symptoms.   Then, hopefully they'll be willing to share what was successful in their counteracting of the lex's effects.  I said "officially" because I don't know if the lex is the cause.  And of course, I would like to be off of it since I think SSRIs are way, way over-prescribed.  And I am one of them.  (As an aside, I have had major surgery due to an endocrine system issue (no, it wasn't brain surgery), I have sleep apnea which is central (meaning it is centered in the brain), and my low T may be central related as well (there is disagreement among doctors if it is central or not), so all these point to some brain issue or situation).

ChessieCat

I did a search for testosterone in the "From Journals and Scientific sources" forum:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=testosterone&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=16

SA's topic:

testosterone

My tapering program

normlex

ChessieCat: Where do I access my drug history so that I can update it?

ChessieCat

Remember to Save after editing it:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

My tapering program