SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kelmo137: tapering and withdrawal

Kelmo137

im just stating my experience with tapering geodon. this is just a be careful it may happen to you comment.

i was on geodon three years when i did my first taper. i believe i was at 120 mg. i weened in a month and the entire ween was harmless. easy and no bad wd or side efects. but once i was off after that ween a few days in the withdrawl started. i dont get physical wd like the flu. mine are all mental and very hard to explain and ive yet to see another person say they experience what i do. i stayed off for a year but hade symptoms that mimmicked lymes. i had brain zaps and just felt so weird and tired and miserable. i didnt know any better it was before social media and phones

i went back on 120 mg after a year off.

i didnt know other solutions. looking back that withdrawal was not that bad and now after a decade on it each ween gets more difficult and my last wd effect was constant peeing or feeling a full bladder. so i didnt sleep more then 20 minutes at  a time. after 3 months of that i gave up and went on again.

now i notice i cannot make 20 mg decreases like i used to so its very hard to decrease less as you know they only come in 20 mg and they are capsules. so weening at 5 mg or less is a huge challenge i cant figure out yet. so being that u were only one geodon a year hopefully your time off it is not as bad.all i know about weening is doing it low and slow but im sure it depends on how long u took it and the dose.

im on a decade so im going to be weening for years. its possible you are experiencing what i did on my first ween and will feel the paws after. our drug is so hard to reduce. and i hear compound pharmacies are pricey and i doubt i even have that here.  i hope you see this and give an update as i just realized this is a year old. 

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing, for readability

prozac 2008. do not know the dose. after a few weeks i had suicidal idealization and went to the hospital 4 days.

xanax .5 mg only took a few times

geodon started 2008. highest dose 180 mg

celexa 2008 40 mg

i tried so many different meds i cannot rrecall the name or dosage but all of them had severe side effects within a week and all were stopped

2008-present geodon. current dose 80mg

2008-present  celexa. current dose 40 mg

On 5/27/2011 at 9:04 PM, Hopeful said:

This article was taken from the blog:

http://willspirit.com/

Body Armor (May 27, 2011)

My apologies, everyone. This post is far afield from my usual topics. It was written for my acupuncture website. The piece discusses muscle tension, the most common problem I see in my practice. As we all know, muscle tension often results from (and contributes to) emotional stress.... One of the greatest failings of Western Psychiatry is its treatment of the mind in isolation, divorced from both body and soul. By bringing bodily symptoms into the mix, and especially when we encourage the soul’s development, we approach truly holistic mental health care....

Muscle tension affects most of us. For some, it’s an occasional problem. For others, the pain and stiffness of tight, sore muscles cause discomfort almost every day unless preventive measures are taken. A later article will review stretching exercises to help reduce tension, but this one will discuss how acupuncture helps reduce muscle soreness and spasm.

....Having spent many years learning Western biomedicine, I find understanding muscle tension scientifically quite easy and comfortable. My more recent education in Chinese medicine has challenged me to expand beyond the limited, material perspectives of my conventional training. But both views are useful and valuable in patient care.

In Western terms, tight muscles get locked into vicious cycles. Emotional stress, poor posture, repetitive activities, and trauma prompt the nervous system to stimulate muscle contraction. At an early stage, conscious attention to reducing these tensing signals may be enough to relax tight muscles.

However, if tension persists, the muscle enters a state of spasm. High tissue pressure within tight muscle bands restricts capillary blood flow. With compromised circulation, a muscle’s oxygen supply gets depleted, so its cells cannot maintain proper ion balance. Calcium accumulates in the muscle fibers, and stimulates worsening contraction and spasm.

A vicious cycle occurs when spasm further increases tissue pressure, which worsens the circulatory compromise. Oxygen becomes even more depleted, more calcium accumulates, and the muscle grows ever tighter. Contracted muscle bands become self-perpetuating as a result. The affected areas no longer relax, even if neural stimuli for contraction cease.

At the same time, the pain of tight muscles causes reflex neural commands to increase tension, which is the body’s way of guarding damaged areas. And although the muscles no longer relax in the absence of nerve stimuli, the spasms worsen in their presence. A second vicious cycle gets established, whereby tension leads to pain, which causes more tension.

In the Western view, acupuncture creates tiny lesions in muscles, which stimulate blood flow. The improved capillary blood supply brings in oxygen and removes waste, so proper calcium distribution gets restored. The muscle regains its ability to relax.

At the same time, acupuncture reduces the cycle of tension-pain-tension. One of the best-documented effects of needling is the reduction of pain signals. With less pain, there is less reflexive stimulation of contraction. The muscle releases...

You can finish reading this artice at: http://willspirit.com/

And then here is your response to that post, in that topic Kelmo,

unfortunatly my meds make me a zombie and if i could id cry seeing this info. my pain started 8 years ago. i went through 5 years of hell; going to multiple doctors begging for answers. i was so beaten down. here i have this horrific  neck pain that flares for a week at a time. with no idea why i have this pain. doctors were disgraceful towards me and couldnt even make the time to at least do a physical exam or care that im living a nightmare and had zero access to pain medicine. well two years ago i found out why and its from these damn meds. and no one would listen to me or believe me. well i found a natural pain med and doing great. i dont think the pain will go away when i finally stop this posion as it turned into having bone spurs and arthritis. my geodon has a long list of very dangerous side effects. im a victim and im pissed that my life was stolen and my doctor in theory should be sued for malpractice.he was so careless from the the first day i saw him to this present day. he should be practicing medicine. these doctors are criminals 

Edited by manymoretodays
moved post from original topic, to new members Introduction, seperated the response from the quote responded to

prozac 2008. do not know the dose. after a few weeks i had suicidal idealization and went to the hospital 4 days.

celexa 2008 40 mg

i tried so many different meds i cannot rrecall the name or dosage but all of them had severe side effects within a week and all were stopped

• manymoretodays changed the title to Kelmo137: tapering and withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kelmo137 and welcome to survivingantidepressants.org, @Kelmo137

I hope it's okay that I moved your very first post here, so you could have your own Introductions and Updates topic.

(we had given you a couple prompts to start a topic and I figure maybe you still do not know how to do this, so took the liberty today.  I might also send some of your other, still unapproved posts to this topic now, while we wait to see what you'd like to do)

So many do seem to miss this topic:   New to the site? Please start a topic in the Introductions forum

If you are new to the site, go to the Introductions forum to start your first topic so the community can get to know you. You can add updates about your progress to your Intro topic; it will be a kind of journal or history of your case.

In addition, Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help the moderators.

Take a look a the ^ link and give that a try as well.  The instructions and links back to your account are all there.  It's much easier to do from a computer.

And so, if you don't have computer access or it proves too difficult right now, just post the basics here, in a reply to my post.

And here's more about what is really helpful to include in a signature.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:27 PM, Altostrata said:

Everyone should condense their signatures into 12 lines. 12 lines is probably too long. This is the essential information we need:

- When you started each drug.

- When you stopped each drug.

- When withdrawal symptoms, if any, started from each drug.

- What drugs you're taking now.

- Dosages for all drugs.

In the meantime, I will consolidate some of your other posts right here for now.  They'll show up in chronological order in this topic now.

*  I only brought one of your other posts over here to your topic, besides the one I used as an introductory post for you. 

The others are now visible in the topics you had posted them in.

And do let us know how we might help, what you are looking for, etc?

Welcome aboard, sounds like you've had a long haul of it........and I really hope you will stick around and we can help with your future tapers, as well as support.

Consider this like your home page.  You've now introduced yourself to the community, and right here is the best place for you to ask questions around your specifics of tapering. 

Best Kelmo!  Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
added an @ notification for member, kept the rest simple for now, no links or anything

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 weeks later...

im usingf a laptop. i got to the signature page and wrote my info, i press save and nothing happens. it takes me back to the top of the same page.

celexa 2008 40 mg

the last taper i tried was about 5 years ago. it was a rapid taper. i did not know anything about a proper weening protocol then. once i was  off my Geodon and Celera i began peeing non stop or feeling like i had to. it was my only withdrawal symptom but it was horrible. i slept in 20 minute increments for three months. i couldn't continue like that and went back on my meds and it stopped. i gained 75 pounds from them. i lost 30 pounds that first month off . i was told these meds make u  retain water and my weight was all water so when i stopped it poured out of me non stop. has anyone ever dealt with this. im afraid that it will happen again when i try another taper. i had tests done and it was negative. how do i lesson these effects? is there something i can take or are there things i should avoid? is there a medicine i can take for a short time to get through

celexa 2008 40 mg

• Administrator

Hello, Kelmo.

Going on and off a drug can sensitize you to further drug changes, causing outsized adverse reactions.

Please see Tips for tapering off ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)

Obviously, 20mg decreases are too much for you now. Tapering Geodon more gradually, such as 10% or less per month (calculated on the last dosage), is quite feasible using the liquid form.

As you're taking 120mg (?), you could start by taking 80mg in capsule form and 40mg in liquid form, taking the reduction off the liquid.

Why are you taking Celexa with Geodon? What times of day are you taking your drugs, with their dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, Kelmo137 said:

im usingf a laptop. i got to the signature page and wrote my info, i press save and nothing happens. it takes me back to the top of the same page.

Hey Kelmo, @Kelmo137

Looks like you got the signature done now. 

Also see, new post to you above this one and do try to attend to those questions asked.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing