beachgirl: How do I get off Paxil?

beachgirl

Due to a stressful job and mild anxiety issues, I was prescribed 20mg paxil in March 2018 by a doctor. I continued on this dose until January 2019, when I decided to go off this drug. I dropped the dose to 10mg for 2 weeks, then took this dose every second day for another 2 days. I was able to get by for 4 months drug free until I started a new job and was experiencing bad insomnia. At the time, I thought it was just my anxiety and the doctor recommended I go back on 20mg paxil. I took this dose for 4 weeks and felt better (sleeping improved dramatically). After 4 weeks, I felt I didn't need the drug, so I dropped to 10mg and took that for 1 week, then CT altogether. 4 weeks off the drug had passed and I was feeling okay, until intense anxiety and insomnia hit me. I had to go back on 20mg paxil and stayed on this dose for 5 months until March 2020, where I dropped the dose to 10mg for a month, then 5 mg for the next month. I alternated the 5mg for every second day for another week then stopped altogether. At this time, I had also stopped taking the contraceptive pill (which I believed increased my mild anxiety and stress issues). I lasted drug free for 3.5 months and was feeling well (despite waves of manageable anxiety and insomnia, whilst working a full time job). 3 weeks ago, I felt overwhelming anxiety and hardly slept for 3 nights straight. Due to work pressures, I decided to go back on the 20mg dosage and took this for a week (felt very drugged out, and drousy). I was having too many side effects so my doctor recommended I drop to 10mg and take for another couple weeks. I did this, and the side effects lessened however, I was still experiencing memory and concentration issues. I decided to drop down to 5mg after a week, and am currently on this dose and feeling better (its been 2.5 weeks on meds and anxiety and sleep improved). This time going back on the full 20mg dose has brought on alot more side effects. I am hoping I can stay on 5mg paxil for 6 months, then very slowly taper. I want to be off this drug for good but struggle with full time work commitment and the WD anxiety and insomnia. Can anyone recommend how I can taper off 5mg successfully? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to beachgirl: How do I get off paxil?
  • Moderator Emeritus

HI @beachgirl and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants!

I am sorry to hear that you are having overwhelming anxiety and difficulty sleeping.  These are very common withdrawal symptoms and are likely caused by going on and off paxil multiple times since March of 2018.  We recommend doing a 10% taper as it greatly reduces the likelihood of getting withdrawal symptoms.  I have included a link below where you can find the information about how to taper more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  and the specific drug tapering topic from Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

I have also included a link below that is specific to tapering paxil.  It is good news that you are feeling better since dropping to 5mg.  We definitely recommend you hold at this dose for quite a while to let you nervous system calm down before you consider tapering again..  We have many moderators and members who have tapered off of paxil successfully.  So be sure to look around the site as it has a wealth of information to assist you when you are ready to taper again.  Be sure to let us know how you are doing here on your introduction tread.  Again, welcome to Surviving Antidepressants!  We are glad you found your way here.   Best Wishes, Glosmom

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• ChessieCat changed the title to beachgirl: How do I get off Paxil?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Again @beachgirl

Also wanted to ask if you could please fill out a signature to tell us about your medication history.  You can find information on how to do that here:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature   this will help the moderators.

Thank you, Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!