SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

crabbycrabby: introducing myself - sertraline

crabbycrabby

Introducing myself and seeking help about my partner's journey (sudden cold turkey withdrawal)

Hi, I'm going to just get right into it. When we went to visit my Nan 2 weeks ago, the change in routine resulted in my partner forgetting to take their Sertraline/Zoloft. They were on 100mg and have been on it for around 18 months. They have decided to stay off it, and I am really worried about how the sudden withdrawal may be affecting them because I have begun to learn about withdrawal for my own situation. So far they seem mostly OK, I would argue that they are having more frequent mood swings and crises, heightened anxiety and disrupted sleep, but they are putting this down to other environmental/situational factors. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for how I can support them at this time? I am wondering if even them returning to a lower dose of sertraline temporarily may be wise in order to cushion and decrease the potential dangerous symptoms - or is it too late? They suddenly came off quetiapine around 2 years ago and had a period of suddenly collapsing but they moved past it and i don't think it's caused long term harm. I feel like this is a concerning time for any sudden acute psych symptoms because they are starting university for the first time and are very anxious about it already. Thank for you reading and as I say, I'd really appreciate any support. I'm trying not to worry too much and I am not frightening them with all this information yet. (Note - my partner is non-binary, so uses 'they' pronouns).

Meanwhile, I'm over here being very cautious! I've tried and failed to come off sertraline several times over the 5 years I've been on it. I came down from 200mg a few years ago and have been at 100mg for around 2 or 3 years now. I'm on week 3 of a decrease to 90mg and although I had around 5 days of depression I suspect that was due to withdrawal and I'm feeling a lot better at the moment. I'll be decreasing to 80mg in around 10 days.

Thanks all ❤️

Edited by ChessieCat
wanted to add clarity to title

Currently tapering off 100mg of Sertraline after being on it for 5 years and trying unsuccessfully to come off multiple times.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi crabby and welcome to SA,

It would be best if your partner joined SA because it is difficult for us to work through a 3rd party.  However I will provide you with information about reinstatement:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic explains how to get the dose you need:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

13 minutes ago, crabbycrabby said:

Meanwhile, I'm over here being very cautious! I've tried and failed to come off sertraline several times over the 5 years I've been on it. I came down from 200mg a few years ago and have been at 100mg for around 2 or 3 years now. I'm on week 3 of a decrease to 90mg and although I had around 5 days of depression I suspect that was due to withdrawal and I'm feeling a lot better at the moment. I'll be decreasing to 80mg in around 10 days.

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  Have you, in the past, or are currently taking any other psychiatric drugs or supplements?  If yes, please add that information to your drug signature.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

As for your taper, SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Your reduction appears to based on the starting dose of 100mg, which is a linear taper, not a hyperbolic taper.  Please see these topics which also provide comparison graphs of the two types of tapers in Posts #1:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

Also you are planning on decreasing after only 15 days, which is half the time SA recommends holding for.

In the past you may have managed to reduce by larger amounts owing to the fact that you were taking a higher dose.  The "Why taper paper topic" linked above explains why.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.  Please do not continue to post about your partner in your topic because it will get very confusing. 

If you wish to interact with members who are in a similar situation with a partner going off their drug you are welcome to create a topic here:  Relationships and social life

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management