SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Itsm: introducing myself, I really need help

Istm

Today I reinstated 1mg (from liquid solution) of Zoloft. I noticed that about an hour after taking it my symptoms got really bad. I think it triggered a flare up. Is it okay if I don’t take it tomorrow? I’m scared since I’m indeed feeling really bad. 

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

Hi, I was wondering, is there a way to know if what I’m going through is benzo or ssri withdrawal (or both) ? I think I never considered it could be the benzo since I started feeling this bad after stopping the ssri (I was taking both at the same time, but I stopped the benzo a bit earlier than the ssri) 

I thought it was ssri withdrawal since the bad symptoms started after stopping this med, but I was thinking that maybe the ssri was hiding the benzo withdrawal and I felt it until I stopped the ssri. 

Or maybe I’m going through both? 

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Istm said:

I noticed that about an hour after taking it my symptoms got really bad.

With a reinstatement, we generally advise that if symptoms worsen to stop the reinstatement immediately.

6 minutes ago, Istm said:

s there a way to know if what I’m going through is benzo or ssri withdrawal (or both)

Due to possible drug interactions and the similarity between benzo and SSRI withdrawal, it's virtually impossible to know.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

thank you @Gridley :)

I’m sorry for bothering so much but I’m having a panic attack after I read on a thread hear called “downregulation and upregulation” that it will never be the same since receptors are desensitized and they can’t go back to normal... so I’ll never feel happiness and emotions as I used to. I will never feel like myself again. I’m so scared. So so so so scared. 

• Administrator

Are you in the habit of scaring yourself? This topic does not say your receptors can't go back to normal.

There are, however, a few confused people posting in it who don't know what they're talking about.

Clearly, we have people who have recovered, so healing does occur.

There are endless ways you can scare yourself. If you are in the habit of doing this, you might look into learning to manage it. A therapist or counselor might be able to coach you in learning those techniques.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Clearly, we have people who have recovered, so healing does occur.

Check out Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

thanks @Altostrata and @ChessieCat

My withdrawal is becoming unmanageable... i know that when I reinstate Zoloft it didn’t helped much but I was wondering if I could try another SSRI to reinstate, this is unbearable. Maybe Prozac or Agomelatine? (I’ve tried this two before and I didn’t had a terrible withdrawal) 

I’m sorry for asking much but I’m at the point where I can’t take it anymore... and it’s just been 5 months. I’m also so mad at myself for going cold turkey but my psychiatrists literally told me nothing when I told her I stopped the Zoloft. 

I’m suffering a lot. I’m also scared because I don’t know if I should also reinstate Klonopin? please I need help

please someone help, I can’t keep up with this.

I just want to know if it’s safe to reinstate Prozac or Agomelatine since reinstate with Zoloft didn’t help. Please help. 

• Administrator

Hello, in what ways do you feel bad?

On 9/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, Istm said:

thank you, but I'm really desperate to know from a mod about this situation. I reinstated 1mg Zoloft yesterday as suggestes and still feel so bad, if not worse, should I also take 1mg today zoloft? I was also wondering,  I also used to take Clonzepam(benzos about 2mg), should I also reinstate that. I fast tappered 3.5 months ago along with the ssris and I was given a dose of clonazepam two weeks ago that’s when I started feeling a lot worse, I just made the connection. @Gridley@ChessieCat @Erell

sorry for asking too much but I'm desperate and nobody understands me except for people here.

It looks to me like you went off 100mg sertraline and at least 1mg clonazepam this last spring and have withdrawal syndrome ever since.

Since you have been taking 1mg sertraline, how has your symptom pattern changed? How do you feel before and after you take it? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata

24 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, in what ways do you feel bad?

I have severe mental symptoms, severe derealization severe anhedonia and brain  fog. Those are the worst. They are really really scary for me. 

When I reinstate Zoloft I felt worse so I stopped, thus I was wondering if I can try to reinstate Prozac or Agomelatine which I’ve used before. 

my sleep is fine, I have to use melatonin but I do sleep enough sometimes even up to 10-12 hours. 

• Administrator

What do you mean by mental symptoms? How do you feel this anhedonia and brain fog?

How did you feel bad when you were taking 1mg liquid Zoloft?

@Altostrata by metal symptoms I mean that the most terrifying symptoms are things like feeling really really depressed and DR opposed to other physical symptoms such as numb limbs, sensitive vision, etc.

the anhedonia feels like I’m completely down all of the time and really anxious. The brain fog feels like inability to think clearly, headaches, and sometimes strange brain sensations (I don’t know if this is normal) 

when I took 1mg Zoloft I felt a flare up in symptoms, I was more anxious, more derealized, and more depressed. I just took it 1 day since I felt so bad.

Hi Istm,

I completely empathise with you. I went through those horrible symptoms also. Thankfully, time is a great healer, and I am now feeling good again for the majority of the time. I would even say that I am feeling stronger now than I used to.
I remember being where you were, and it is really tough. Remember, that the more days that pass, the further you progress. Healing will continue.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

• Administrator

It looks to me like you probably have withdrawal syndrome from going off sertraline and clonazepam at the same time last spring.

Yes, the symptoms feel terrible, but you must not scare yourself about them, that makes them worse. Many people here have similar withdrawal symptoms.

It sounds like you scared yourself when you took 1mg Zoloft again, and you didn't give it a chance.

We don't have any magic potions, all we know is if you have withdrawal symptoms, often adding a little bit of the drug back in will stop withdrawal symptoms. But it takes about 4 days for Zoloft to reach full effect. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction from the drug -- not because you're scaring yourself -- you need to give it time to take effect.

If you have some clonazepam, taking a very little bit of that may help. You were taking 1mg clonazepam per day, you may wish to try 0.25mg per day, in doses of 0.125mg 12 hours apart, such as 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. However, it is likely you will need to taper off clonazepam after a while. You will need to make sure you can get continuing refills on clonazepam or you will be up the creek without a paddle.

You would need to let us know how you are doing if you try anything.

@Shane88L Thanks Shane, those messages truly keep me going. I’m glad you’re better. When you feel good, do you feel like your past self (yourself before meds) ? 

Thanks @Altostrata

yes, I’m not sure if I’m scaring myself or it’s actually my symptoms getting worse, that’s why I’m confused about what to do. 

as well I was wondering, isn’t it too late to try and reinstate Clonazepam? I’ve been off that for more than 5 months. 

as well if I do reinstate the clonazepam, it’s better if I reinstate that give it a time and then try reinstate the Zoloft, right? I feel that if I reinstate both at the same time and I feel better/worse I won’t be able to know which one was the one that made me feel that way. 

• Administrator

We do not recommend changing more than one drug at a time. This is correct:

3 minutes ago, Istm said:

I feel that if I reinstate both at the same time and I feel better/worse I won’t be able to know which one was the one that made me feel that way. 

We advise making very small changes, but you have to stick with them to see what happens. If any of these choices is too frightening for you, maybe it's best you do nothing and manage the withdrawal symptoms. Your choice about what to do.

Thanks Alto, if I decide not to reinstate and just manage withdrawal do you think I’ll still recover? 

I was also wondering, my mom took me with a naturopathic doctor and he told me to take GABA and theanine but I’m not sure if it’s safe to try this. My mom is insisting that I try them due to how distressed she sees me. 

Hi Istm,

Yes I do feel like I'm "me" again, but more mature and wise, and certainly more resilient than I used to be. I have learned a lot from the withdrawal experience, and feel like I gained more than anything else. 

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

U r a girl

U shouldnt worry of pssd

It is very horrible for boys

I have also pssd

Or withdrwal like emotional numbness

But it will heal with time

Dont worry

Long pssd is very rare

2019-till date--bupron xl 150mg and nexito 20 or 10mg for on and off in every 2 months

For low libido 

Start on september of 2019

2017-2019 august ----fluxovin 50mg which cause sexual dsyction

I want to ask is there any antidode for sexual and dslsyfuction and emotions and feeling

• Administrator

Deepu, PSSD can be very distressing for women, too.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Istm said:

Thanks Alto, if I decide not to reinstate and just manage withdrawal do you think I’ll still recover? 

I cannot tell the future, but we see people tend to recover. This can be very slow and frustrating. You will have to be strong and not panic when you get odd surges in withdrawal symptoms.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

@Altostrata thanks alto, I reinstated .7mg of Zoloft yesterday and will keep taking that. I’ve been using magnesium and fish oil since September. It’s just been like 5 months for me and I feel I can’t keep going. I just don’t understand how I didn’t knew about this before taking this medication. The worst part is that I was forced I wasn’t even old enough to consent. I’m so mad, filled with too much rage plus at the same time filled with all of this distressing symptoms. 

@Shane88L it’s great to know you’re better Shane 🤍 I’m so happy for you. This is so so challenging 😞 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had been in a reinstate of .7mg Zoloft for about 10 days. I’ve been feeling the same, just that i think I’m managing withdrawal a bit better simply by stop obsessing over my symptoms and accepting them.

since the reinstate hasn’t have a significant effect and I think I’m managing things better l was wondering if it’s okay to tapper the .7 mg? I just want to be off the medication. 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Please do not stop 0.7mg sertraline.

Which symptoms have gotten better? Which symptoms have gone away? How are you sleeping?

@Altostrata my symptoms are still the same, I haven’t seen any improvement, I maybe do feel a bit less derealized but that’s all. I’m sleeping enough, probably too much since I have no motivation to do anything else. 

I was asking about tapering the .7mg since I just want to be off the medication and since I feel the same I don’t see why stay on it. I just can’t stand talking it. I get so angry having to take it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature with the date and dose for the sertraline reinstatement.  Thank you.

• Administrator

How has your sleep changed over the last 10 days?

What are your current symptoms? Are they better or worse at any times of day? How do you feel before and after taking 0.7mg sertraline?

@Altostrata

Hi Alto, 

my sleep hasn’t changed much, I tend to sleep 9-10 hours with no issues. I do use melatonin but can still sleep without it. 

my current symptoms are: dark depression/anhedonia, anxiety, organic fear, really bad brain fog/memory issues, headaches, fatigue, hypersensitivity to sound and stress, and derealization. 

my symptoms are much worse during the morning/day, at night I tend to feel an improvement in my mood/anxiety levels. 

I don’t think I have noticed any changes before/after taking the .7mg of sertraline. Today I got a really bad headache/migraine a few minutes after taking the medication but I’m not sure if it was the medication since I’ve never gotten this symptom.