SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Itsm: introducing myself, I really need help

Istm

• Administrator

You probably have sensitivity to the natural morning cortisol surge. Many people here experience this.

If I were you, I might increase sertraline to 1mg, see what that does. 0.7mg may not be enough. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yep, I’m having toxic mornings.

I’ll think about increasing but I’m finding it really hard to even take the .7mg. I’m so stubborn and just want to be off the medication. My brain sees Zoloft as poison and I get so angry when I have to take it.

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

Since I’ve been in withdrawal I find that when I get too stressed (everything stresses my nervous system, sound, light, high temperature, situations etc...) I get this huge urge for food and I binge eat. I was wondering if this binge eating could be withdrawal related? 

Due to withdrawal I also have some issues with impulse control and it’s hard to resist the urges, specially when my environment is too stressful (which usually always is since my family is really dysfunctional and there’s always noise in my house)

After I binge my symptoms get much worse and it’s obviously making my withdrawal harder. I’m also trying to eat healthier but I keep using sugar for relief.

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I find that when I'm stressed I like to eat hard/crunchy things because of the action and sound of the chewing of it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi, I didn’t took the .7mg dose of Zoloft for the last two days since something in me is just really traumatized and doesn’t want to take it, plus I don’t feel any major improvement if I take it or not. I know I made a mistake by stopping the reinstate but I was wondering if it’s okay if I stop? I’m just so confused, I don’t want to take it AT ALL, it’s so hard for me to take it, but at the same time I’m scared I’ll never feel better. I’m so confused.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you've already stopped it for the last 2 doses and you want to stay off then it seems pointless in starting to take it again only to stop it again.  The brain likes consistency.  Your symptoms might be a bit up and down over the next few weeks but hopefully things will settle back down quickly for you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 11/10/2020 at 3:43 AM, ChessieCat said:

If you've already stopped it for the last 2 doses and you want to stay off then it seems pointless in starting to take it again only to stop it again.  The brain likes consistency. 

yep, it’s just that I get so confused about what’s “right” to do. I fear that reinstate  will make things worse but I also fear that not taking it will make things worse.

That’s why I can’t decide. 

I’ve been off it and feel no difference. I’ve been in this constant state of WD “normal” for about 6 months. My symptoms haven’t improved nor gotten worse.

6 month update 

Hi, I just wanted to update about my symptoms since in a few days I’ll be 6 months off all medication. Over the 6 months I’ve honestly had no improvement which is a bit scary. I haven’t had any “window” at all. I’ve read that some people don’t have windows and still get better but I’m scared about my lack of improvement or windows. 

My major symptoms still are:

Withdrawal induced depression 

Anhedonia

Derealization 24/7 

Fatigue

Bad cognitive fog/memory and concentration issues

Inner restlessness/akathisia 

hot flashes 

anxiety

Irritability/ neuro emotions

hypersensitivity to sound, light, and stress

dizziness

pssd

I’m sorry this isn’t a positive update, but this is how I’ve been. It has just been 6 months and can’t imagine going on like this for more years. My family hasn't been supportive at all which makes it worse. I woke up with the worst akathisia and hot flashes today. 

• Moderator Emeritus

• Moderator Emeritus

Six months is a very short time after a cold turkey/very fast taper(?) off two drugs.

Thanks ChessieCat, I guess this is going to take a really long time. 6 months in wd is nothing but it feels like forever... oh my god

• Moderator Emeritus

Think of it this way.

When we have the flu we feel awful.  After a few days there may be some improvement, eg the fever might have gone down or the head might have eased or our nose might not be as blocked or running as much as it was or we might not be coughing as much.  But because we still have other flu symptoms which make us feel awful we still feel awful.

It's better compare yourself with how you felt at your worst, not how you felt at your best or how you want to feel.

And just like when we are sick with the flu, it feels like a long time, simply because it is taking longer than we would like it to.

You might consider keeping a diary and rate your symptoms.  That way you can be more objective and might be able to see some improvements which you haven't noticed.

And remember, even the tiniest of improvements is still and improvement and means that recovery is happening.

There are computer and printable lists of symptoms here and also some blank ones.  They  include a ratings system:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Edited by ChessieCat

Thanks Chessie 💗

Hi, just out of curiosity, I came across a comment online about a guy who took an AD for 1 day and says that 3 years after he’s not himself still. I got scared and so I tried to make sense of his situation by thinking that maybe he had an adverse reaction and that why it’s taking so much for him to go back to normal.

However, I started reading more about adverse reactions and now I’m wondering if I also had that while taking my AD. I remember feeling derelization and sexual side effects while on the medication, does this means that I had an adverse reaction? everything became worse and new symptoms added once I CT’ed but l was wondering if maybe I also had adverse reaction? Sorry for asking so much I’m just really curious. Thanks! 

So I was just wondering if the fact that I had wd symptoms while on the medication is an adverse reaction? Or just inter dose withdrawal? 

I’m now scared that if I had an adverse reaction while on the drugs that means that it will take much longer for me to heal. 

sorry for asking too much again, thanks

On 11/25/2020 at 6:14 AM, Istm said:

So I was just wondering if the fact that I had wd symptoms while on the medication is an adverse reaction? Or just inter dose withdrawal? 

I’m now scared that if I had an adverse reaction while on the drugs that means that it will take much longer for me to heal. 

Hi ISTM,

If you have bad side effects whilst on the medication, that is adverse reaction(s).  WD symptoms are symptoms after you have come off.  Many, many people have adverse reactions to these drugs - sexual dysfunction being one of the most common.  In fact it seems the majority of people have this adverse reaction.  Many people recover quickly from it once off the drug; an unlucky percentage (and we don't know how big that percentage is) have PSSD which can last a long time.

I don't think you should worry in terms of being less likely to recover from an adverse reaction.  If you had been okay on the drug and then when you came off had severe withdrawal symptoms suddenly occur, you would probably be asking the same question just the other way around.  It is understandable.  These drugs effect different people in different ways.  Some recover quickly, some take a very long time - this applies to both adverse reactions and purely withdrawal symptoms.  Most people who are on here probably have a combination of the two.  

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

Thank you so much for the explanation @1Day!

Hope you are doing well

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was wondering, is sensitivity to cortisol/stress a WD symptom? I notice that everything, even minor things, sets me into “fight or flight”. And if so does this get better? Thanks :) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Post #1 of this topic might help you to understand why this happens:

one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

• 4 weeks later...

Hello itsm,

perhaps you want to read my post, then at least you're not alone, and I'm a few months ahead of you.

Best greetings!

Sertraline 50 mg from 2014-2019 and had only erectile dysfunction.

Stopped Sertraline in Oct 2019. 1 month later, PSSD set in (loss of libido, erectile dysfunction)

Tried Sertraline again in January 2020, libido and erectile function came back.

Stopped Sertraline entirely again since May 2020.

Suffering from PSSD since then.

Also, you wrote that you went on and off Sertraline, right?

I would also like to ask you if PSSD has become better when you took Sertraline again.

Thank you.

Stopped Sertraline in Oct 2019. 1 month later, PSSD set in (loss of libido, erectile dysfunction)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ForestBoy, thanks for sharing, I’m sorry you’re also going through this. In regards to your question, 

On 1/1/2021 at 9:56 AM, ForestBoy said:

Also, you wrote that you went on and off Sertraline, right?

I would also like to ask you if PSSD has become better when you took Sertraline again.

Thank you.

no, I didn’t noticed any changes in pssd nor any withdrawal symptoms after reinstatement.

@Istm

On another forum, I read an important message of somebody whose PSSD went away.

He recommended to others basically: "Wait 1 year before trying anything" (he was referring to other medications to compensate for PSSD).

I know the feeling that the medication has killed a part of your soul.

I would recommend to stop Googling for the next months. Else you will only go crazy.

Give your transmitters some time to get normal again.

Also, on another forum there were so many posts of people telling about their PSSD, but not healing reports.

Then somebody posted a new thread "PSSD healed, but depression is back". 

In this thread, he wrote that he once posted that he had reported about PSSD, but now has depression again and wants to ask if it's safe to take antidepressants again.

And somebody asked him why he didn't report back that his PSSD was healed. Other forum members would have needed this "success report".

He replied that when the PSSD went away, it wasn't so important to him anymore, so he didn't report back.

So I guess there are really many people who report when PSSD has started, but very few people take the time to report when PSSD goes away.

That is why I don't go crazy when I don't find many success reports.

Currently I am convinced that I will be healed. I experience changes. 

Last week, I got an erection that lasted 15 minutes while I was driving in the car.

It happened out of nowhere. It was really unexpected. It showed me that something was happening.

Good luck and don't go crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be dangerous for me to try the drug topomax (topiramate) during withdrawal?

11 hours ago, Istm said:

Would it be dangerous for me to try the drug topomax (topiramate) during withdrawal?

i think all the administrators on this site encourage people stay away from all psychotropics. ultimately its your decision and they won't tell you not make your own decisions, but the main philosophy of this site is to caution people away from experimenting with all psych drugs or to take an extremely careful approach towards taking them. there are no known cures for pssd or withdrawal currently. my advice is stay away from everything other then mild supplements and diet. 

• 2 weeks later...

We should make a mexican PSSD community.

Paxil 20mg 2009-2016. Paxil Extended Release 25mg 2016-Aug2020. Venlafaxine 75mg Aug 2 2020-Aug 12 2020. Mirtazapine 15mg Aug 13 2020- Oct 10 2020. Mirtazapine 7.5mg Oct 11 2020 - Oct 18 2020. Mirtazapine 3.75mg  Oct19 2020-Oct27 2020. Mirtazapine alternating between 3.75mg and 0mg  Oct28 2020-Nov 1 2020. Mirtazapine back to 3.75mg daily Nov 2 2020-. January-Present Mirtazapine 0 mg Fluoxetine 20mg Oct 28 2020-Oct 31 2020. Zolpidem 10mg Aug 2020- present. Supplements: Omega3, Magnesium and Zinc.

@Kidlacassa yes we should... I wonder how many in mexico have PSSD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... I was wondering if someone knows if there's a way to prove brain damage / neurotoxicity? my parents think I am just mentally ill and are threatening with psych ward and I fear being drugged. I've send them tons of research about withdrawal and they still just believe what psychiatrists say...  

• Moderator Emeritus

• Moderator Emeritus

If they speak Spanish you could translate the text using https://www.deepl.com/translator

• Moderator Emeritus

In answer to your question.  No there is not a test.

Thanks a lot chessie, 

I’ve unfortunately already translated and handed them that one plus studies, books and videos yet they still prefer to believe psychiatrists rather than use common sense. They think I’m delusional for thinking the drugs harmed me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Istm,

how do you feel now? 

I hope a bit better?

On 3/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, ForestBoy said:

Hello Istm,

how do you feel now? 

I hope a bit better?

Hi @ForestBoy I am unfortunately feeling worse. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Istm--I'm so sorry you're feeling worse.  You're still early into your recovery.  There have been so many times I thought I wouldn't make it, and there may still be more, but some symptoms are beginning to improve.  I truly believe you will climb out of this--though it's so very, very slow.

Thinking of you, Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Thanks for your kind words @arbor