HarryG: citalopram

HarryG

I was put on Citalopram for the third time to support CBT although I didn't feel physically deppressed but had issues I was told I had to have them if I wanted the thereapy.  Five months later I made some awful life changing decisions and cause a lot of distress to people around me.  Having made the mess I realised that I was not feeling anything,  I was Mr Super Ego and my judgements were impaired. But I am not that person.   It was six months later that I found out about the hidden side effects and took myself straight off them.   These decisions have now come back to bite me hard and I just want to die!!. 

2008? Citalopram 20mg 6mths - Major Depression 

2010? Citalopram 20mg 10?Months - Major Depression 

Jan 2016 - Jan 2017 Citalopram 20mg Support CBT. 

2017 -2020-08  St Johns Wart Daily 425mg and Energy Drinks !!!!! 

Current: Had to go back on prescription

2020-08 Mirtazapine 15mg (likely not enough) 

Occaisial Energy Drink (Caffiene +  Tourine)-reducing

After two weeks overlap stopped St Johns Wart.

Sleeping Well, but daytime drowsy sessions. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to HarryG: citalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Harry and welcome to SA,

I've moved your post and created your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions, journal your progress and be supported by the SA community.

Please create your drug signature so that we can see your drug history at a glance.  Please include ALL drugs and supplements.  For the last 2 years we need details, older than 2 years just a summary.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

After creating your drug signature please post telling us about your withdrawal symptoms.  Are you feeling better or worse that you did when you first came off?  How is your sleep?

Once we have more information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Addtional, coming off Citalopram 3rd time.  

After the events above I carried on with Citalopram becuase I didn't feel quite right.  Then I had three random days where I felt more alive,  I realised that it was when I missed my tablet.   I realised that there are more forces at play here then just Seratonine replacement as I should have dropped not felt better when I missed my dose.   I then looked it up - Oh Boy, pages and pages of it, emotional blunting and apathy.   I had been having heart palpitations, I went to see a GP. She was more concered about my heart than me wanting to come off the SSRI's although I told her it was a listed symptom she wasn't interested in the SSRI's.   So I tapered myself off,  had a few wiered effects.  Started to feel angry,  Physical blood presssure drop,  but the wierdest one was I had memory problems eg, I was driving two miles from home and couldn't work out where I was.   I also had a thumping sound in my ears just as I fell to sleep.   Gradually regained sensation in the bedroom department.  Swore I would never go on them again.  

2008? Citalopram 20mg 6mths - Major Depression 

2010? Citalopram 20mg 10?Months - Major Depression 

Jan 2016 - Jan 2017 Citalopram 20mg Support CBT. 

2017 -2020-08  St Johns Wart Daily 425mg and Energy Drinks !!!!! 

Current: Had to go back on prescription

2020-08 Mirtazapine 15mg (likely not enough) 

Occaisial Energy Drink (Caffiene +  Tourine)-reducing

After two weeks overlap stopped St Johns Wart.

Sleeping Well, but daytime drowsy sessions. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What are you currently taking?  Please add current where applicable in your signature so we can easily see it.  If you are still taking SJW please add the dose.  Thanks.

Are you still drinking energy drinks?

What are your current symptoms?

How is your sleep?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management