Furlow: joint instability and paresthesia

Furlow

Hello: I was on Zoloft (50-75mg) for 3 months 19 days. While on I ended up with euphoria, my wrist along with my low back loosened up (instability). I chalk this up to exercising while my body was having a bad reaction to the sertraline. This led to extreme back pain. There have been times where I thought I may have been hit with a bit of serotonin syndrome. Psychiatrist seemed to think so. My whole torso locked up. Anxiety over the situation led them to increase my dose to from 50-75mg. 4-6 weeks in the paresthesia hit (burning) throughout my body. I subsequently quit cold turkey. It has been 19 months now of protracted withdrawal. I have been through the wringer when it comes to general and naturopathic doctors, treatments, topical hormones, b12 shots, and supplements. All of which exacerbated the withdrawal. I recently felt that I was having a bit of a breakthrough with my naturopath. He prescribed suma root and ginseng. This was to help with my adrenals and get my testosterone up. Also, I have been seeing a prolotherapist to address the instability in my wrist/low back/hips. He keeps pushing the testosterone thingy, because it’s needed when it comes to rebuilding ligaments. Well…has anyone else recovered from joint instability/cracking/popping/ligament pain/weakness? Also, the paresthesia has ramped back up due to the suma root (adrenal support). It initially helped but then made me worse. One more thing…I’ve had some pretty in-depth tests which have confirmed a b12 deficiency. I’m in the 267 range. I have been fearful to touch the stuff again. Any advice or encouraging replies are welcome.  :)

PS: I do feel like the anxiety and depression from the WD has been getting more under control.

I've had two MRI's and two x-rays (low back/pelvis) and everything looked fine. 

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font

Zoloft 50-75MG. 2018-2019 (3 months 19 days).

Quit cold turkey.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Furlow: joint instability and paresthesia
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Furlow.  That's great that the WD anxiety and depression are getting better.  That's a very encouraging sign of healing from protracted withdrawal.

Regarding the B12, some members in withdrawal have reported being hypersensitive to B vitamins, including B12.  

Hypersensitive to B vitamin or B vitamin complex? - Symptoms ...

Here's a link to give you some other members' experiences and opinion on testosterone.  Some mention withdrawal and the need to taper it if you start. Personally, I would be wary of it.  For more links, Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org testosterone

Testosterone - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving ...

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members (like yourself)  report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the detailed reply, Gridley! I will take your advice. I’ve been so confused regarding the b12. I’ve often wandered, is my parathesia from anemia or is it leftover SSRI WD? Every time I take the supplement/shot it initially makes me fell better, then quickly worse. The confusion for me lies in the amount of reviews where people have stated that when you’re anemic, you often get worse then better when taking b12. 

Quit cold turkey.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Furlow said:

Every time I take the supplement/shot it initially makes me fell better, then quickly worse

If it happens every time you take it, it seems to me that you're having a negative reaction to it.  

5 minutes ago, Furlow said:

from anemia or is it leftover SSRI WD

I'm sorry, there's no way for me to know.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Yes, that makes sense to me too. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. :)

Quit cold turkey.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Furlow said:

Thank you for the detailed reply, Gridley! I will take your advice. I’ve been so confused regarding the b12. I’ve often wandered, is my parathesia from anemia or is it leftover SSRI WD? Every time I take the supplement/shot it initially makes me fell better, then quickly worse. The confusion for me lies in the amount of reviews where people have stated that when you’re anemic, you often get worse then better when taking b12. 

Have you tried taking a very tiny dose of sublingual activated Activated Methyl B12?  It contains Mecobalamin, an active form of vitamin B12 found in the human body, which means it is directly available to be used as a coenzyme for numerous metabolic reactions in the body.

With antidepressants, adverse reaction is generally dose related and members who experience withdrawal symptoms from going off too quickly may be able to tolerate a very tiny dose which does not cause the adverse reaction but might help with the withdrawal symptoms.  It may be the same with B12.  A tiny amount every day may help.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management