Sleepless: unable to take medication

Sleepless

Sleepless
52 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

Sleepless, I do believe you will survive. I understand that at times, it certainly seems like we won't.

The overwhelming evidence from those that have walked this path before us... is that we do survive.

Sending you solidarity and strength. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I really needed them.  ❤️

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, my husband and son was diagnosed with Covid-19.  I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl 

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sleepless

• ChessieCat

• Gridley

• rupa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Progress:  I was motivated enough to put on regular clothes instead of daytime pajamas.  

Thank you for your response.  I will try to reference it during my dark times.

Sleepless

My anxiety, tachycardia and muscle spasms came back with a vengeance around 1:15pm today.  I have not had any thyroid medication for 2 days.  The last medication I had was a grain of diazepam around 2:30am on Monday.  I guess the diazepam was suppressing my CNS.  I am doing everything I can to avoid taking it.

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, my husband and son was diagnosed with Covid-19.  I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

Sleepless

So I took .50mg of metoprolol tartrate tonight for my tachycardia.  I have nausea and my arms/legs feel like jelly. 😔

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

• Administrator
On 11/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, Sleepless said:

The heart doctor believes my tachycardia is due to thyroid issues.  He wasn’t too concerned that my heart rate would reach 127 some days.  I informed him that I could not take atenolol regularly because it made me depressed (current prescription).  He wants me to try metoprolol instead.  Does anyone have an opinion concerning this medication?

We're not medical professionals here, so we cannot recommend drugs. All we can do is help you with a harm-reduction method of slow tapering psychiatric drugs. Please work with your doctor for other health issues. You may also want to join a forum specific to your health conditions or an overall wellness site with holistic aims, if you wish to treat other health condition without drugs. 

19 hours ago, Sleepless said:

She also believes that I am releasing histamine due to a rare illness that I have (Dercum’s disease).

You may want to go on a special diet to address histamine sensitivities:

Histamine food intolerance

On 11/9/2020 at 8:30 AM, Sleepless said:

I have been prescribed 2mg of diazepam for anxiety.  I have taken no more than a crumb of it once or twice a month.  I’ve been using non-drug techniques for anxiety and coping about as well to be expected.

If you're only taking a tiny bit of diazepam once or twice a month, you should be fine. Sounds like you're doing well with non-drug techniques, like you say, as well as can be expected. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Sleepless

I believe my tachycardia, chest pain and muscle spasms are due to severe SSRI WD as the muscle spasm began the past few weeks.  A small amount of Diazepam is the only medication that seems to relieve these issues.  Once I take it, I feel normal.  If I decide to start taking it more regularly, how do I convert the tablet to a liquid to get my grain size amount?  Does the liquid last very long in the refrigerator?

I do not want to have to do this.  This will be my last option.

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

Sleepless

Can someone explain why people in WD start having blood pressure spikes at night?  I’ve never had issues with blood pressure before.  I’m currently 6 months into CT WD.

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

Sleepless

So, I started having my daily upper body muscle spasms.  Then about 30 minutes later they just stopped.  I hadn’t taken anything or did anything.  I’m hoping this is a sign that my brain is healing....

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/10/2020 at 1:59 PM, Sleepless said:

Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I really needed them.  ❤️

You're very welcome. 💖

Current: 2019: 0.04 mg Paxil!! This is real. Soon, after taking Paxil my entire adult life, I will be free.

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" almost completely off over a month, at doctor's advice in July 2015.

Self-care includes magnesium, reasonable exercise, mindfulness, this forum and nutrition/eating enough food.

Also on 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!! (which I now will have the knowledge to taper properly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Longer version: On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression caused by (undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder.

Doctor kept increasing dose, up to 60 mg; it never really helped but said it really was the best "med" for me.

Rapid doctor-led "taper" July 2015, down to 5 mg, with Zoloft as a "cross-taper" = Essentially a cold turkey. 

Severe withdrawal but didn't know it; believed it was my "underlying condition," and kept tapering, 5mg to 4 to 3  to 2 to 1.  

Feb 2016: Found SA! As of June 2016, tapering from 1mg at rate of 5-10% per month, Brassmonkey Slide! 

Sleepless

So...   Today is day 5 of taking a normal dose of thyroid medication.  After last night, I feel like my recovery has been set back 2 months.  All night I had sweats, my skin burned, chemical anxiety, all of my muscles were tight, I felt like I kept having to remind myself to breathe and I had akathisia.  I managed to micro sleep with the help of meditation videos. 😔

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

Hello, 

just saw your post

On 11/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, Sleepless said:

She also believes that I am releasing histamine due to a rare illness that I have (Dercum’s disease).

You might be interested by this thread

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3503-histamine-food-intolerance/

Hang on ❤️ 

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam (long half-life)

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper, 3% drops. 

2018 to August 2019 : Paroxetine 20mg taper (3% every 15 days).

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg) because of a big wave. 

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020-August 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21457-erell-struggling-with-paroxetine/?do=findComment&comment=499847

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication :

7mg Fluoxetine + toothpick Paroxetine (since 20 Aug 2020)

1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

Sleepless

Thanks 🙂

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

Sleepless

I’ve had a few horrible days...

I’m 9 days into my increased thyroid medication.  This has activated my CNS.  I have muscle spasms every day from the shoulders up.  I figured out that drinking milk eases the spasms.  So I took a total of 1500 mg of calcium throughout the day thinking my level was too low.  This triggered awful WD symptoms later that night.  I would have never thought that calcium would do that.  

So here I sit, in pain, anxious and depressed.  It’s been bad enough today, I almost broke down and tried to reinstate.  The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that my CNS symptoms will slowly ease up as my thyroid levels out.  😔

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol 

I’m 12 days into my thyroid medication change...

I had a decent morning and was able to take a nap in my bedroom.  This is an accomplishment.  For the past 2 months, I’ve had to sleep in the living room due to my bedroom being claustrophobic. 😔

I think I’ve also figured out what is causing my muscle spasms.  My thyroid medication is increasing my serotonin levels rapidly every time I take it because I was fairly hypothyroid.  It’s as if I’m having serotonin toxicity every time I take it.  I had the same type of spasms before I stopped the SSRI.  I’ve managed to split my dose into morning and evening.  This has reduced the spasms slightly.  I hope that as my thyroid level rises, the spasms will ease.  If anyone has another theory, I would be happy to hear it.  🙂

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol