☼ Sten: my journey with SSRI and my way off

Sten

Hi good people🙂

Sten from Norway here. Living outside Oslo, am 59 years old, and have 2 kids ( 24 and 27).  English is not my native language, so please bear with me. 

I have always been a very senitive person and did grow up in a familiy with 5 brothers. I am nr 3. My father was struggling with mental issues, and my mother was a emotional distant person. Not much comfort and love there. I got meningites age 10 and almost died, but came back. When I started to get anxiety problems ehan I wast 18-19 years, my father took med to his doctor to get this fantastic pills. That is where my Paxil period started. I was using them for many years, while studying, but still had a lot of problems with anxiety. Worked with som psycoterapists, but it did not help much. After 10 years I was told that it was a new drug that wast much better, and I started with Seroxat. It is hard for me to remember how long iI did use them, and how many times I managed to stay off, but in 2001 and managed to quit. I then started on a acupuncture education, much because I thought it could save me from the drugs and help with my anxiety. Ii was hard, and I also had a wife that never understood my problems, so in 2012 my GP said it was best if I started with Cipralex, that was sooo much better than Seroxat. I used them for 5 years, felt totally numb, flat, did not feel anything. I then tried to taper and quit, went through hell, so my brothers that also use Cipralex convinced me to restart. That was the worst month in my life.  Then after attending av Joe Dispenza workshop in Scotland I decided to try quitting again. I tapered down from march to September, and tomorrow it is one year without any drugs. What is special is that I was allowed to move in to the acupuncture school where I had been a student 15 years ago. After I quit I have had a lot of Acupuncture treatments, with focus on cleansing my blood, reduce stress and strengthen my Water energy. This is where fear and anxiety is signals of imbalance. I have had tinnitus for 20 years, and also Insomnia during this winter. It really did help with liquid melatonin from the health food store. I also take Ashwagandha - an ayurvedic supplement, and also Vit D, Ginko Biloba, and after reading this site, I have started with Milk Thistle, Vit B Complex and Fish Oil. Have had a lot of muscle pain, and it is so good to read that many of you have the same. 

I am optimistic, and must say it is interesting to start feeling again, having all kind of emotions and my kids tell me that I am much calmer and nice to be with. I hope that I can manage the coming waves, and also that I can enjoy the windows. Sending love and good energy from now colder Norway. 

Edited by Gridley

Surmontil ( Paxil) from 1981 and on and off for 10 years. Can not remember dose. Seroxat from 1992 to 2000. Think it was 10 mg.  Tapered slowly down 6 months.

No drugs until 2012 when started with 10 mg Cipralex ( Lexapro). Tapered down over 4 months in 2016, but started again late 2016. 

Tapered down from march 2019 to 24. sept 2019.  No meds since 24. sept 2019.

Supplements and support:

Acupuncture - everyday in the worst period

Ashwagandha 300 mg - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening

Vit D - 40 ug. Gingko Biloba 100 mg 1 +1.Vit B Complex. Milk Thistle.Fish Oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Sten.  Congratulations on being drug-free for one year now.  That's a great accomplishment.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

If the supplements you're taking are working well for you, that's great.  B complex is often too stimulating for people in withdrawal.  If you add supplements, add them in one at a time and at a low dose so you can know what effect they're having on you.  In addition to fish oil, we also recommend magnesium, which many members find calming.  Again, add it in at a low dose.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Tinnitus and insomnia are typical withdrawal symptoms.  Here's some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Sten and welcome to SA!

Paxil  07/1997 - 10/1998 Quit CT  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Zoloft 200 mg 07/2013  WD 04/3/20 - 04/8/20 Quit

Seroquel 800 mg 07/2013 2013 *400 mg 07/2019  *** WD 04/15/2020 - 06/19/20 Quit

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

Xanax  2 mg prn 07/2013 - 04/23/20 Quit CT

Lamictal 150 mg 07/2013 WD 05/06/20 -06/11/2020 Quit

Propranolol 03/21/2020 - 04/20/2020 Quit CT

Hydroxyzine  12/14/2020 - 12/27/20 Quit

Allegra 24 hr 01/11/21 Flonase Nasal Spray 01/11/21

Magnesium Glycinate 100mg x3 daily D3 5000iu daily 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sten: my journey with SSRI and my way off
  • 2 years later...

Hi good people 🙂

I has been som time since i wrote anything here. I have now been of all meds in 4 years, and I am still alive. My Journey has been hard, but with the support of a log of Acupuncture for reducing stress, and also meditation, Qi Gong and the inputs from Andrew Huberman about sleep, I have made it. 

I still struggle withe Tinnitus, sleep issues, body pain, head ache, but it is worth it.  I have also had good support from a girl that did teach me about this love thing.  I must also mention my grandson, that is a very good medicine. 

I now plan to file a lawsuit against state, doctors, big pharma....( since I am Norwegian english is not my first language 🫠).

Anyone had any experiences on doing that? Heard on the radion that a lady in Germany did it due to problems after Covid medicine....

Please comment if anyone has any experiences. 

Much love from 

Sten

Surmontil ( Paxil) from 1981 and on and off for 10 years. Can not remember dose. Seroxat from 1992 to 2000. Think it was 10 mg.  Tapered slowly down 6 months.

No drugs until 2012 when started with 10 mg Cipralex ( Lexapro). Tapered down over 4 months in 2016, but started again late 2016. 

Supplements and support:

• Administrator

Hello, @Sten good to hear from you. How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months? What is your estimate of how much you have recovered, such as 60% or 80%?

You might be interested in this topic 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, and thanks for your response. My overall status is improving day by day. My tinnitus is still really bad, but I am coping. Sleep is better, connecting with emotions is an important part. My little grandson is a gift. Still getting acupuncture and is doing meditation and qi gong every day. Healthy food, a sweet girlfriend and playing golf is helping. Will read the post about lawsuit. Keep up the good work ❤️

Supplements and support:

• Administrator

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Please see this topic:  How to write your success story

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.