dalsaan

Impatience

dalsaan

I suspect I'm not alone in this but I often feel really frustrated and impatient with my progress to recovery How do you keep on track and focused on getting better rather than getting off. Anyone got any good tips?

caro123

Take one day at a time and focus on where you are at. You can't know what the future will hold but you can work on what you can do today. Karma gave a great suggestion of keeping a daily journal to keep track of where you are at. That might help realising how far you have come. Thereby celebrate the achievement. It is not easy. It takes time. I have had to accept that but I am so happy that I have made the first step and that I have the support of everyone here who understands and comments. Take care. I hope this helps!

Altostrata

This affects many of us. One thing this experience teaches us is to let go of expectations, to accept where we are.

This leads to focusing on taking care of ourselves, which is so important!

So I guess it's a growth opportunity, as they say.

elizabeth11

Listen to your body and keep a journal of how you are feeling.

I was doing fine until I was told I need to drop my TSH, which means increase my thyroid meds. Since Wednesday, I noticed it was too much and now Saturday, I feel like mental crap. But I have my diary, which lets me know things were better, allows me to remember and to rationalize how far I've come since early April when I had to reinstate (before I found out I was just hyperthyroid all along....) and that I've got to just weight until my body burns this excess thyroid meds out of me.

Elizabeth

Nikki

One thing that helps a little bit is when I write out my tapering plan along a timeline.

I see it as a goal that I will eventually get to. Each week I am closer and closer.

And then again........there are times when I may be having a not so nice drop in dose, when I see the goal as never arriving or just too darn far away.

Wax and wane. That's how it goes.

I can do it. I can do it. I am doing it. I am almost there. I will reach my goal.

I am glad I am doing this. Mountain get out of my way. I am going to be okay.

Hows that for self coaching :P

Altostrata

Wonderful koan!

One foot in front of the other, one minute or hour at a time.

dalsaan

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess it's about focusing on the journey rather than the destination

Nikki

Dalsaan I stay focused on the destination. It keeps me hopeful.

The drug/wd journey for me is a bit much ;)

Lots of Hugs

Barbarannamated

Im done tapering (too fast previous to finding this site), off of Pristiq for 1 year, and in a holding pattern. I don't know what the destination is at this point. I keep going for what may be in the future. I have to keep selling myself the intangible. Some dsys my creativity is better than others. Many days, the main thing that keeps me going is that I have much material to write a book ;)

Rhiannon

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess it's about focusing on the journey rather than the destination

Thanks for the topic. This is always a struggle for me. The destination is so far away and I'll be a different person by the time I get there. Who knows what life will bring between here and there? I try to remember to focus on what's good in my world right now. It's not easy. Thanks for the reminder.

Right now there's a light rain outside. I love rain. Maybe I should walk away from the computer and put on a jacket and just go outside on my porch and watch the rain.

Life is just a series of "now"'s.

dalsaan

One thing that helps a little bit is when I write out my tapering plan along a timeline.

That's actually really helpful. I have done a timeline from way back when I started taking ADs, to now and a possible end date.

Timewise I am a long way down the track, journey wise I'm even further

I remember, at the beginning, being really scared, bewildered, at the mercy of my GP, disempowered and overwhelmed. I might not know a lot, I might

not be able to plan everything and I might be over being patient : ) but I'm not really scared, bewildered and I dont feel totally disempowered.

Im also aware that I am fortunate when compared to the experience of many others on this site.

Barbarannamated

Rhi,

I love summer rain! Thank you for that wonderful visual and feeling. We don't get rain here.

fefesmom

As usual, I don't know if this is the write discussion topic to add to but here goes. I have been off Effexor XR now for just about 8 months. When I think about myself for the 13 years I was on it, I had the same issues/problems relating to other people that I have now. Before I went on the drug I also had problems with relationships. I still have them. I don't want to get back to where I was pre-medication. I was a mess then too. And I don't want to go back on the meds. All my life, it seems, I have been critical of myself, critical of others, wanting to be liked best, judging others and myself almost all the time. I don't think this is any better now than it was on meds or before I even went on meds. I think I just have a lousy life, if you want to know the truth. Yes, I have good days and even strings of a few good days. Maybe that is all I can hope for. I am much older than most of you on this site but even when I was younger I thought I was a hopeless mess. I can take one day at a time for about a day. I am lonely, self and other critical and my friendships are superficial. I hang out with people I don't really like sometimes. Bad thing to do for me and them. Well, as always, thanks for being here. I have to remember it is almost 4 a.m. and things won't seem quite a bleak, though still bleak, later today. I will be kind to myself even though I don't think it changes anything. Maybe I have to stop wanting to change and just accept. Ha.

Skyler

Rhi,

I love summer rain! Thank you for that wonderful visual and feeling. We don't get rain here.

You don't get rain? Yikes... I did not like Florida because it was unremittingly warm. I live in SE New England, and the variable weather is a source of joy. (though it is a tad rainy here at the moment) ~S

Fifi.. I'm sorry to hear life seems so bleak. You sound like you are reflective, and this is hurtful at times. Keep looking to your inner world.~S

meistersinger

Rhi,

I don't mind the rain. I'm just getting tired of mowing the lawn and continually trimming back the hedges. This is the 4th time in a month I've had to trim the hedges. I just hope the temperatures stay mild, as i was told in no certain terms about using the air conditioner this year, regardless of compromised Heath.

Barbarannamated

Southern California doesn't get rain in summer to fall. I won't say 'never', but extremely unusual. Dry lightning, fires, everything is brown and dead unless it's on sprinklers. Summer rains are so cleansing, refreshing.

Nikki

Hurricane Season here folks. Don't like hurricanes. Have been through quite a few.

Always wanted to live in California (San Fran).

Fefesmom...

You've been off Effexor for 8 months. For Effexor 8 months is still a relatively short time to be WD free. Alot of the emotional stuff is still WD.

If you got off Effexor, believe me, changing the things you don't care for in, or about your life should be a walk in the park compared to getting off Effexor. Be proud of yourself for what you done. It's monumental :)

There are so many marvelous books out there to help us get moving into changing.

God knows, I read them all the time. LOL

Change is certainly challenging. I know first hand. I have a friend who says "stick with winners."

Lots of Hugs

jfrank17

I have definitely struggled with this. It takes some effort and thought redirection and talking to others to help find the tolerance of not being where you want to be I think. One thing I often do is look at my 2 dogs. They are one of the best daily examples of living life to the fullest and living in the moment. They are sometimes the best medicine of all.

Rhiannon

I have definitely struggled with this. It takes some effort and thought redirection and talking to others to help find the tolerance of not being where you want to be I think. One thing I often do is look at my 2 dogs. They are one of the best daily examples of living life to the fullest and living in the moment. They are sometimes the best medicine of all.

Dogs are the best.

:-)

I wish I were in a place in my life where I could take care of a dog. Maybe someday.

annej

Dogs are the best.

:-)

I wish I were in a place in my life where I could take care of a dog. Maybe someday.

I see a wonderful dog in your future along with visions of you going out to the dog park and watching your faithful companion romping with the other dogs. :) Hugs, Annej