SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

dq2017: tapering Lexapro

dq2017

Hi, I'm new here.

Was on generic lexapro for about 7 months. 

Started 5mg -10mg then to 20mg.

At 20mg just felt zombie like so didnt want it anymore. So after a month or two on 20mg I dropped back to 10mg and continuing to taper.

I need help though, I was using scale method at 5% every two weeks but extreme tiredness and tight heavy head feeling. So I thought tapering that slow would be so long. So I cut down to 5mg two days ago ..according to pharmacy i can do every other day but i know that ain't the case. It should be done slowly..

Can anyone help me with a plan.

I'm on 5mg from 10mg and feel extreme fatigue a little brain fog.. also I'm on klonopin as needed but been taking it every night for a month to sleep i find that it maybe causing my brain fog..

Just need some advice please it feels like i my head is gonna lose it...I know I wont but that's how it feels.. please tell me this is normal on tapering. 

Dq

• ChessieCat changed the title to dq2017: tapering Lexapro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, dq.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

5 hours ago, dq2017 said:

So I cut down to 5mg two days ago

What dose were you on two days ago? 

It's possible you may benefit from updosing, but we need more information first. For more on tapering Lexapro, see:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Some general information on withdrawal:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

5 hours ago, dq2017 said:

also I'm on klonopin as needed but been taking it every night for a month to sleep i find that it maybe causing my brain fog..

How much Klonopin are you taking? Please note Klonopin is a benzodiazepine, which can cause dependency in as little as 2 - 4 weeks. So you may already be dependent. 

If so, it would be best to stay on Klonopin until you're off Lexapro. For more, please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Pay close attention to the concept of "brakes and accelerators" in the first post of that thread. Lexapro is an accelerator (which means it's stimulating) and Klonopin is a brake (which means it's sedating). You want to come off the sedating drug last in order to preserve sleep. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up your taper. Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

So heres my break down.

Started 5mg lexapro generic in end of march 2020

Up to 10mg in april

15 in june

June 24 to 20mg

End of july back to 10mg

Aug 10mg then cut 5% from then till  now October 1st , extreme fatigue

October 5th I just cut Down to 5mg.

Klonopin 

Been on this since dec 2020 as needed basis

Been using it on and off since then but since august sept I've been pretty active on it.

I'm not sure but the heavy head feeling and weird feeling in my head like its malfunctioning is because lexapro tapering or benzo?..

I wonder if I can go back to 10mg or 20mg and restart this taper 10% every 4 weeks or is it to late to reinstate to those doses?.

Dq

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, dq2017 said:

Klonopin 

Been using it on and off since then but since august sept I've been pretty active on it.

How much Klonopin are you taking? Have you taken the same amount this entire time? 

23 hours ago, dq2017 said:

Klonopin 

On 10/5/2020 at 3:25 AM, dq2017 said:

Was on generic lexapro for about 7 months. 

Please fix the date for your Klonopin (you wrote "dec 2020"). 

Were you prescribed Klonopin in December 2019? Did you go on Klonopin before Lexapro?

Also, please put your medication and tapering history in your signature -- that's the information you see at the bottom of someone's post. For more, see:

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, dq2017 said:

Started 5mg lexapro generic in end of march 2020

Up to 10mg in april

15 in june

June 24 to 20mg

End of july back to 10mg

Aug 10mg then cut 5% every two weeks from then till  now October 1st , extreme fatigue

October 5th I just cut Down to 5mg.

dq2017,

We're working to determine a Lexapro dose for you to stabilize on.  Please tell me if this account of your Lexapro taper is correct.  This will help us in determining a stabilizing dose.

March, 2020 5mg Lexapro

April              10mg 

June             15mg 

June 24        20mg

End of July   10mg

Aug 10           9.5mg  (5% taper every two weeks until Oct 1)

Aug 24           9.0

Sept 7            8.5

Sept 21          8.0

Oct 1              7.6

Oct 5              5                      

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/5/2020 at 8:38 AM, Shep said:

How much Klonopin are you taking?

20 hours ago, Shep said:

How much Klonopin are you taking? Have you taken the same amount this entire time? 

I'm going to ask this for the third time - how much Klonopin are you taking?

We cannot help you set up a taper if we don't have all your drug information. 

• Moderator Emeritus

dq, if you don't have exact doses and dates, just list the month and year you started on Klonopin. 

And then list how much you're taking now. If you're using it "as needed," it's possible some of your symptoms are rebound or interdose withdrawal symptoms (going into withdrawal in between doses).

Edited by Shep
added info

• Administrator

dq, how much Klonopin are you taking now, at what times of day? What has been your drug schedule, including Klonopin with dosages, in the last 2 weeks?

What is your current daily drug schedule, with times o'clock and dosages? How's your sleep?

Your symptoms may be due to Lexapro withdrawal or Klonopin. We need more detail to figure it out.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.