stan

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

scallywag

Bellatrix, either way will work. Pick the one that you can tolerate best.

gardenlady

Can anyone help me find a 1 ml syringe with large markings?  I have poor vision and cannot see the tiny marking between the larger markings on the 1 ml syringe.  

SkyBlue
On 6/17/2016 at 8:08 PM, Altostrata said:

Thanks to Lise:

On 6/11/2016 at 8:09 PM, Lise said: 

Thanks for the answer! :)
Since I last wrote I have been questing all over Ye Olde Internet and found out that:
such a thing as microlitre syringes actually does exist - and I've ordered one (100 microlitre with 0.2 microlitre intervals) at a very reasonable price (around five dollars) from Germany.
A microlitre is 0,001 ml.

I am looking for a microliter syringe in case I need to slow my taper down more at the end.

The least expensive I am finding is $28 and they go up to the hundreds of dollars.

I'd love to find a five-dollar one! 

If anyone has leads, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Rachelina
8 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

I am looking for a microliter syringe in case I need to slow my taper down more at the end.

The least expensive I am finding is $28 and they go up to the hundreds of dollars.

I'd love to find a five-dollar one! 

If anyone has leads, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm still looking too! I'm overwhelmed by the choices on Amazon. In the photos you can't really see the markings, and I want to make sure the increments are really as small as I need them to be. And yeah, they're all really expensive. And you probably need at least two, because when you rinse them out, there is still water in there the next day, and you'll end up introducing water into your bottle of medicine.

SkyBlue
14 hours ago, Rachelina said:

I'm still looking too! I'm overwhelmed by the choices on Amazon. In the photos you can't really see the markings, and I want to make sure the increments are really as small as I need them to be. And yeah, they're all really expensive. And you probably need at least two, because when you rinse them out, there is still water in there the next day, and you'll end up introducing water into your bottle of medicine.

Yes, so many choices! 

Do we know how long these things are? What I am hoping for in a microliter syringe is a very long, extremely narrow syringe that will let me see the 0.001 gradations--essentially so I can break up a 0.01 gradation into its ten parts. But the ones I'm seeing do not look very big at all. 

Also, many seem to come with a "cemented needle," which won't work for us because that sounds like it's not removable.

I have a 0.5ml syringe but it's not useful because the gradations are so tiny as to not be visible. (Also all the markings wore off.)

Okay, we will figure this out! 

Rachelina
On 1/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, SkyBlue said:

Yes, so many choices! 

Do we know how long these things are? What I am hoping for in a microliter syringe is a very long, extremely narrow syringe that will let me see the 0.001 gradations--essentially so I can break up a 0.01 gradation into its ten parts. But the ones I'm seeing do not look very big at all. 

Also, many seem to come with a "cemented needle," which won't work for us because that sounds like it's not removable.

I have a 0.5ml syringe but it's not useful because the gradations are so tiny as to not be visible. (Also all the markings wore off.)

Okay, we will figure this out! 

If you put clear packing tape over the markings, they will never wear off! The syringes still wear out after a while.

Let me know if you figure anything out!

SkyBlue

Rachelina, that is so smart!!! Yes, I'll keep you updated. :)

SkyBlue

I got a microliter syringe! 

It is a high-quality, glass Hamilton 250(u) (250 microliter).

So it is .25 ml capacity.

It is like this one,

Hamilton 7657-01 1725RN Syringe, 250 Microliter, No Needle 

but I found it for $24.99+shipping on eBay (new, sealed in package).

I will post as soon as I start using it, which I hope will be this weekend.

Rachelina
On 2/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, SkyBlue said:

I got a microliter syringe! 

It is a high-quality, glass Hamilton 250(u) (250 microliter).

So it is .25 ml capacity.

It is like this one,

Hamilton 7657-01 1725RN Syringe, 250 Microliter, No Needle 

but I found it for $24.99+shipping on eBay (new, sealed in package).

I will post as soon as I start using it, which I hope will be this weekend.

Yay! I can't wait to hear how it works out. So, the syringe has a 250 microliter capacity, which is .25 mL, which is .5 mg of liquid Paxil - did I get all that right? And I see that your dose is .5 mg, so you're getting it at the perfect time. If I were to use it I would have to fill it three times to get my dose, and I'm not sure if that would be a good idea - like, I'd have to be super careful not to let it touch my mouth. So maybe I'll wait until I'm down to .5 mg, or look for a 500 microliter syringe that I can start using when I get to 1 mg, in a few months. Anyway, I am eager to hear your review!

SkyBlue
15 hours ago, Rachelina said:

Yay! I can't wait to hear how it works out. So, the syringe has a 250 microliter capacity, which is .25 mL, which is .5 mg of liquid Paxil - did I get all that right? And I see that your dose is .5 mg, so you're getting it at the perfect time. If I were to use it I would have to fill it three times to get my dose,

Hi Rachelina,

Thanks! And yes, that's exactly correct. I'm impressed! Sometimes it takes me a minute, and it's my actual dose!! lol 

Yes, I agree that waiting until your dose is near the 250 (or 500) microliter range would be a good idea. I wouldn't want to fill it multiple times.

I accidentally almost ordered a 25 microliter one, and I would have had to fill that ten times!

I'll definitely keep you posted! 

samanthaelizabeth

I got it from the pharmacist but I doesn't really tell me where .5 is.  

samanthaelizabeth

I have a 5 ml syringe I'm trying to measure 190MG of Zoloft which is 20mg= 1ML so I guess I need to measure 9.5ml.  This isn't really accurate for the .5 part of it, it just has the 2 black lines with 5 little lines in between.  Please let me know when you have a chance.  I am transitioning for a while on my regular dose of 200mg.  So for now that will be easy to measure.  Please let me know.

Rachelina
12 hours ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

I have a 5 ml syringe I'm trying to measure 190MG of Zoloft which is 20mg= 1ML so I guess I need to measure 9.5ml.  This isn't really accurate for the .5 part of it, it just has the 2 black lines with 5 little lines in between.  Please let me know when you have a chance.  I am transitioning for a while on my regular dose of 200mg.  So for now that will be easy to measure.  Please let me know.

You can get a 1 mL syringe for measuring the .5 mL part. Usually they give them out free at the pharmacy; just ask. 

I also think it would be fine if you just shoot for the midpoint between the two main lines, even though there isn't a line there. I looked at my 5 mL syringe and it looks easy. There are actually 4 smaller lines, so you'll be shooting for the midpoint between the center two lines. To me this would be accurate enough, but if you don't feel that it is, just get a 1 mL syringe.

samanthaelizabeth
5 hours ago, Rachelina said:

You can get a 1 mL syringe for measuring the .5 mL part. Usually they give them out free at the pharmacy; just ask. 

I also think it would be fine if you just shoot for the midpoint between the two main lines, even though there isn't a line there. I looked at my 5 mL syringe and it looks easy. There are actually 4 smaller lines, so you'll be shooting for the midpoint between the center two lines. To me this would be accurate enough, but if you don't feel that it is, just get a 1 mL syringe.

Thank you Rachelina

SkyBlue

I'm practicing with my glass microliter syringe using Jell-O (lol!) -- the same consistency as liquid Paxil. 

I'm going to use the syringe for my actual Paxil dose tonight. I'm going to wait a while at this dose, just in case there are changes from my previous syringe to this one, with how much tiny amount is left in the barrel, etc. As Alto mentioned earlier, we don't need to worry about that little amount. I think it's important to be reasonably cautious when switching syringes, though. (For example, this syringe doesn't seem to have any liquid left after using, because it doesn't have a tip, exactly -- the plunger goes flush with the end of the syringe. It's not indented, or pointed at the end, if that makes sense.) 

Wish me luck! 

ChessieCat
2 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

I'm practicing with my glass microliter syringe using Jell-O (lol!) -- the same consistency as liquid Paxil. 

Very clever thinking!

2 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

I'm going to use the syringe for my actual Paxil dose tonight. I'm going to wait a while at this dose, just in case there are changes from my previous syringe to this one, with how much tiny amount is left in the barrel, etc. As Alto mentioned earlier, we don't need to worry about that little amount. I think it's important to be reasonably cautious when switching syringes, though.

Very good idea and worthwhile for other members to know about and remember.

SkyBlue

Thanks, Chessie! 

AuntieBea

Hello! I need some help.

I have been using a digital scale (Gemini) for measuring doses for months. The reading on the scale has always flickered back and forth, and then settled down to what I was satisfied was the accurate reading. That seemed OK while my taper was going along with no WD symptoms, but now I am not so confident and wondering if maybe my doses aren’t truly accurate and are adding to my problems. Yesterday the scale flickered back and forth so much that I decided to switch over to liquid.

I had already bought syringes, and had read all the instructions here on the tapering forum, so I just switched over to the liquid. Symptoms have intensified again today, and I’m nervous that maybe it was a mistake to have switched over like that. I know that symptoms can also fluctuate for no reason, but I guess I’m asking for some confirmation as to whether this was the right thing to do or not. 

I always calibrate the scale before I start, make sure it’s sitting steady, practically hold my breath. It bounced around yesterday more than ever. I finally did weigh out a Celexa dose, then recalibrated the scale just to double check it and the measurement was way off. It had been .042, and now weighed .038. That’s when I gave up on the scale. Maybe it needs a new battery...?

Anyway, just hoping for some reassurance or guidance with this. Thanks!

Gridley

MammaP, one of our moderators, recommends a crossover from tablet to liquid:

"There can be problems switching from tablets to liquid, even with the same maufacturer.  We suggest taking part tablet and part liquid and increasing the liquid over time while decreasing the tablet. You could cut a tablet in half then cut one half in half so you have one 1/2 and 2 x 1/4 . Take 3/4 of the tablet and the rest in liquid. After a few days ( I make it a week if I change brands ) take half tablet and half liquid, then 1/4 tablet and the rest liquid, then all liquid. Alternatively you could make a liquid from tablets yourself. Lots of people do this and it works well."

Regarding your Gemini scale, have you changed batteries?  My scale went haywire but I finally got it calibrated.  Just to be safe, I ordered another one (not yet arrived). 

Gridley

AuntieBea,

I just ran across this post by Brassmonkey about using the scale:

"These scales can be very sensitive to air currents, fans, open windows, people walking past, breathing.  It will make the display jump all over the place.  There were times I would cup my hands around mine to shield it, which helped some.  The biggest thing was to work in a very still room, and use the calibration weight to get into the midrange of the scales sensor.  Either have the weight in place in the pan when you turn the scales on, pr place it in the pan and press TARE."

You could also wear a face mask so your breath isn't a possible factor.

AuntieBea

Oh thanks!

Yeah, that’s how sensitive the scale seems to be...so it’s not just me.

I could try using the calibration weight like Brassmonkey suggests, but now that I’ve done the liquid for two days, I’m wondering if I should just stay with that...? Does the body absorb the drug differently straight on the tongue through the liquid, than through

digesting the tablet? Now I’m concerned about making so many changes. I’m already pretty goofed up. Any suggestions...?

AuntieBea

Oh! Just saw your first post. I missed it before.

I’ll try changing the batteries.

I’m making a liquid from the tablets, so am I hearing correctly that the crossover is not necessary

when using the manufacturer’s liquid formula? 

Gridley

There's a different absorption rate, so the crossover is advisable to get your system accustomed.

AuntieBea

Thanks Gridley! I really appreciate you help. I’ll start the crossover tomorrow.

I guess that one method is not preferable to the other. It’s just about being consistent...?

Gridley

Yes, it's whichever method works better for you.

AuntieBea

OK good. Thanks again!

Pepper88

Hi, I have a question about taking my medication through liquid suspension.

Lets I've made a liquid of 15 mg in 15 mL water, and my daily dose is 7.5 mg.

On day 1, I measure 7.5 mL of shaken suspension into the syringe and swallow it. On day 2, can I just drink the rest of my vial safely (or do people measure it out exactly each time?)

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Pepper88

My oral syringe markings wore off after 2 weeks, even after redrawing them on with permanent pigment liner. I looked up google what people do to prevent this and just read that just covering it with clear tape helps. I'm gonna try this :) 

SkyBlue
55 minutes ago, Pepper88 said:

My oral syringe markings wore off after 2 weeks, even after redrawing them on with permanent pigment liner. I looked up google what people do to prevent this and just read that just covering it with clear tape helps. I'm gonna try this :) 

A great idea! 

RubyJ
4 hours ago, Pepper88 said:

That's what I do -- I just wrap a short piece of packing tape around the markings on the syringe.  Has worked for months now!

bubbles

Clever idea!

Pepper88
21 hours ago, RubyJ said:

That's what I do -- I just wrap a short piece of packing tape around the markings on the syringe.  Has worked for months now!

Awesome! Good to hear. I can't believe I didnt think of this simple solution before.

RubyJ
2 hours ago, Pepper88 said:

Awesome! Good to hear. I can't believe I didnt think of this simple solution before.

I was afraid at first that water would get under the bumps in the tape (I am not very good at making it flat, I found) and create grossness of some sort but even if water gets under the tape a bit it seems to dry out with no problems.  I was relieved.