stan

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

ChessieCat

@ktp

Please stop being sarcastic and smart.  This isn't a game that we are playing.  It is very serious and if mistakes are made a member could end up suffering.

The aim here is to help Kmart work out how to dilute her drug in a simple way they she understands and can do without making mistakes.

KMart95
2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

@ktp

Please stop being sarcastic and smart.  This isn't a game that we are playing.  It is very serious and if mistakes are made a member could end up suffering.

The aim here is to help Kmart work out how to dilute her drug in a simple way they she understands and can do without making mistakes.

I agree. It's unfortunate when you come here for support and get made fun of for not understanding something. I specifically said I struggle with math and it was explained in the most complicated way possible. This is why i'm really feeling discouraged about tapering. If you happen to find someone who can simplify it for me, i'd love for you to let me know ! I think a new topic should be opened to help people with diluting liquids.

ktp

19 minutes ago, KMart95 said:

I understood that I thought I was taking 1.3mg but I am actually taking 1.28mg.
I understood the calculation of how to get to my next dose.
The options for different ways to dilute made sense to me &
now i'm lost

lost where?  you get how to dilute, now choose how much to start with and a concentration.
choose a concentration for how easy it is to measure;

choose how much to make for how many doses you want to take and / or for simplicity.

a more specific question will get you a more specific answer!

ktp
24 minutes ago, KMart95 said:

I agree. It's unfortunate when you come here for support and get made fun of for not understanding something. I specifically said I struggle with math and it was explained in the most complicated way possible. This is why i'm really feeling discouraged about tapering. If you happen to find someone who can simplify it for me, i'd love for you to let me know ! I think a new topic should be opened to help people with diluting liquids.

First, I didn't make fun of anybody.  I pointed out that dr seuss is a lot easier to read than math explanations, that it's going to take a bit of effort to understand.    I gave you all the math you need, gave you examples, And I used Kmart95-specific numbers, so you could just choose to follow the specific instructions given, then copy the equations used and re-use them for subsequent batches of various reduced concentrations.  

You said you wanted to understand, so I explained.  If you like, I can distill the explanations to a very simple set of you-specific instructions you can simply follow.

Please realize there's a lot of room for juggling when doing dilutions: what are your goals?

1 you want easy to measure (meaning a dose that falls midrange of your measuring device),

2 you want to make a reasonable number of doses in a batch not to little not too much,

3 you want to not waste a whole lot of drugs,

4 most important keep it simple and keep accurate records so you really know what you did.

So there are several angles from which to approach the issue, and none of them are 'wrong'.  But there probably is a 'best' solution.

I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted; I tried to give you what you requested.  If you'll be specific about what you don't understand, I'm happy to try to clarify.  

ChessieCat

Some of the posts discussing KMart's liquid tapering/diluting of liquid have been moved to KMart's intro topic so that she will have it there to reference and this topic about using oral syringes etc can stay on topic.

Abella
On 8/29/2019 at 9:34 PM, ktp said:

warning this will be hard to read. 

Prozac liquid comes from the mfr at 20mg prozac per 5ml liquid. 

How are you measuring 0.14ml?  that's way too tiny a volume to measure with a 5ml syringe, which typically has 0.2ml markings.  I'd trust that syringe to be close enough to measure 2.4ml but even that is quite error-prone. 

First of all, thanks for the response. I've been using a 1ml syringe.

to your second question, yes your math is correct - 

if you start with 1part in 20, to get 0.1 part in 20, add 9*20 water to get 0.1part in 20.

actually thats 1part in 200 same as 0.1part in 20.

to change 1mg/5ml to 0.1mg/5ml, add 9 * 5ml water, gets you 1mg 50ml aka 0.1mg/5ml.

or as you stated it, 1mg/ml add 9ml to get 0.1mg/ml.

sure hope that helps.

I did make a dilution starting last week. I diluted as I described above and used a 3ml syringe, so instead of .14 in a 1ml syringe, I took 1.4ml in a 3ml syringe. I also never knew how to properly use a syringe until I was reading in here so no more bubbles!